Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 24, 2010 10:40 AM

Jun 2008
Let's go over what we've seen in the anime.
French language, Spanish architecture, Japanese schoolroom, high tech tank, WW2 motorcycle and jeep. Anything else?

Just to add a bit more flavor, if you watched the PV by Kalafina, you'll see they used Argentinean landscape and dress. Talk about mutilculturalism in one show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDY4MzR_xa8

Here is some background on Sora no Woto: http://animenz.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/what-is-this-i-dont-even.jpg
KinetaNov 25, 2012 10:58 AM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 26, 2010 7:44 PM

Dec 2008
Moeshit and Moeshit that´s all the culture here ^-^
Jan 27, 2010 8:41 AM

Feb 2009
k-on! and a senjougahara look-alike joined the army. this show draws from the best culture ever
Jan 27, 2010 8:46 AM

Apr 2008
Their religion appears to be some manner of Catholic Shinto, as well. Note the kimono wearing virgin Mary in episode 4, and the priestess' miko-nun outfit.
Feb 3, 2010 7:29 AM

Jan 2008
whats with people making reviews after the first 2 or so episodes, jeeeez, really (-.- )

Feb 3, 2010 10:15 PM

Jul 2007
ThePuisiitis said:
whats with people making reviews after the first 2 or so episodes, jeeeez, really (-.- )

You get that with every anime here. Just ignore it.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Feb 10, 2010 4:28 PM

Jul 2007
So rather than make a useless thread, here's a question for all of you. Given the setting of the series and constant foreshadowing, when do you think shit is going to get real for the 1121st platoon? Ep. 7? Ep. 9? Never?

Seeing as it's near the halfway mark, but also given that this series still has a heavy moe theme, I'm going to guess Ep. 9 is when hell is going to come-a-knockin'.
Feb 10, 2010 4:49 PM

Jun 2008
Uhhhh...K-ON! set in the military?
Feb 10, 2010 4:57 PM

Jul 2007
MidnightCheddar said:

This isn't K-ON.
Feb 12, 2010 9:46 AM

Jan 2008
but it feels like it (:
the series aint bad, they have they're own flavor i guess..
i think it has bigger potentional than 13 episodes, but they won't go any further than this.. don't think there would be 2nd season.

the tank probably is gonna play some major role in the action part :3 .. like kicking the zombies coming from no mans land..
somehow the feeling that they're gonna rediscover the lost culture in the end

Feb 20, 2010 1:02 AM

May 2008
Druozo said:

Strikes Witches without the ecchi is just as good of a comparison, if not better.

I honestly with the Aria recommendations would become more frequent and higher than the K-on ones. But knowing people, that's not gonna happen.
Plate said:
Their religion appears to be some manner of Catholic Shinto, as well. Note the kimono wearing virgin Mary in episode 4, and the priestess' miko-nun outfit.

It seems to me like much of early folk while also Pagan Europe. Except with many Japanese Shinto Pagan elements and less say, Baltic or Nordic elements.

When missionaries came, they tried to incorporate and smush as much as they could, leaving Paganism rather dead and dying over the years, and Catholicism a little more and a little more ritual and Pagan. As can be seen by the new episode(after you made this statement) where Kana and Kureha had a difference of religion. Kureha being more Catholic, and Kana being more Pagan.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 16, 2010 9:18 AM

Jul 2008
I just watched the first two episodes of So ra no wo to and was kind of surprised by the mixed cultures.
But it's quite fun to search for all those little details that makes that anime unique.
I suppose japanese ppl are so used to their cultures that they don't even see the incoherence, like the the shimenawa hanging in town or the typically japanese buckets the townspeople are using for their "matsuri".

Apparently the town really exists in Spain
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/02/14/sora-no-woto-otaku-makes-pilgrimage-from-japan-to-spain/

I also liked the opening in the second episode with Klimt influence, but why Klimt ?
Mar 22, 2010 1:33 AM

Apr 2007
Im more interested in what happened way back that made everything messed up. The episode with the dead soldier in the subway mentioning how everything started when "they" arrived is just killing me with curiosity. I get the feeling that the tanks (whatever theyre called) have some sort of AI (that Noel or anyone else hasnt figured out how to activate or maybe dont even know about) and that these AI rebelled way back. In order to beat them, people had to use drastic methods that left everything messed up.

Thats my theory but I wish the show would explain what exactly happened and the way stuff is going with the enemies in ep 11, I doubt Ill get my wish in the last episode.
Blergh.
Jul 15, 2010 8:09 PM

Jun 2008
Fully released in iPod Touch format, visit my site, or click here for shortcut. ~88MB per episode. Should work for all iPod Touches, and probably the iPad's too.
Signature Here.
Apr 10, 2013 7:19 AM

Dec 2011
Flevalt said:
I can't understand how Archaeon's review is even remotely received well when all of his points are plain exaggeration.

This entire Anime is senseless moeshit and rips itself off any seriousness it tries to create.

It all starts with the Anime trying to convince it's viewers that an entire platoon is full of nothing but cute girls. Then the Anime goes even one step further to ridicule itself by the senseless slice of life scenes it paints itself with throughout the entire story.
The cute girls get to play war and by doing that they make sure war is never to be taken seriously within the story more so than the fluffy games they play.

There are 2 scenes in total in the 13 episodes which aren't covered in the full spectrum of beautiful and innocent bright colors that completely underline the moe aspects which this entire series consists of, not just the character designs.
Even when the story finally starts to get into a serious vibe, it serves nothing but to give opportunities to deliver more eye-candy cause that and the ripped song are the only things this Anime offers.

The Anime is supposedly about redemption and salvation.
Admittedly in a sense this Anime is about salvation, since it'll surely give you the feeling of salvation once you're through this farce that scolds itself Sora no woto.

I think this is a fair summary of what you are saying:

I came into this show with the wrong expectations, thus the show is crap
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 4, 2014 6:46 PM

May 2013
Some said:
Cute Japanese and European teenage girls, wearing Wehrmacht uniforms, exploring a Japanese school in a Spanish town full of French people who make Venetian glassware on Switzerland's French border, in a country that has a soldier princess playing Amazing Grace on a trumpet, following a Shinto-Christian religion with a miko-nun, treating tropical diseases only children get, accepting yen as currency while not being able to read kanji, celebrating Spanish traditions mixed with Chinese New Years legends, shooting at African owls (that try to keep them away from schoolgirl ghosts) with German rifles, being led by a traumatized commander who is afraid of lightning, tricking Italian mobsters to keep them from moving in on the girls' bootlegging operation which finance their paycheck and supplies, playing war games with a nun and getting pissed drunk, pissing themselves and becoming baby factories for the Pope, creating biological weapons while still little kids and killing thousands, all while at war with German-speaking brown-skinned Americans with bindis on females' foreheads from a Roman Empire lead by the Pope that follows a monotheistic religion that believes in the Judgment Day, while piloting a finally fixed multi-legged, demon-slaying, weather-reporting, stealth-sniper and simulation training mode capable, AMAZING GRACE SINGING, Engrish-speaking, talking like a SPESS MEHREEN,wall-climbing, 200mm coil gun-firing "son of the god of fire" supertank from the past (aka Tank-kun).

Replace the summary of the show with this.
Apr 24, 2015 2:50 PM

Oct 2010
I'm on ep 6 and I can't understand this show, I mean all that I see is:
baka MC
senpai
tsundere twintail
dandere Ayanami Rei
megane blonde who is cute but tough like a yandere
I will continue to watch but I don't know what to expect anymore, some ppl say it's deep.
Nov 4, 2016 2:48 PM

Jul 2015
The series is set in a apocalyptic type scenario, where wars are commonplace due to nations fighting over scarce resources and increasing desertification of large parts of the world. It's also another "cute girls in the military" type of anime.
Apr 10, 2023 2:42 PM

Jul 2011
Catalano said:
I'm on ep 6 and I can't understand this show, I mean all that I see is:
baka MC
senpai
tsundere twintail
dandere Ayanami Rei
megane blonde who is cute but tough like a yandere
I will continue to watch but I don't know what to expect anymore, some ppl say it's deep.

ikr

Good ol' CGDCT but pretentious type : )

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nakei - Jan 18, 2010

160 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 25, 10:15 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kerlyenai - Feb 15, 2010

142 by James-LastOmnic »»
Jan 19, 9:11 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

264 by SX6 »»
Jan 17, 11:28 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.