Forum Settings
Forums

whats the reason/s for the low disc (BD/DVD) sales of most anime this year?

New
Jul 26, 2016 5:07 AM

Jan 2009
if you are following the weekly disc sales news this year, you will notice a decline in the number of sales per disc

but ye there are still high selling anime out there but only few titles this year

whats the reason behind this? worsening economic recession in japan? japanese are starting to use online anime streaming services? or worse japanese are starting to pirate a lot like the rest of us? or are there any more reasons?

Macross Delta only sold 9K on its first disc/volume while the last Macross series called Macross Frontier sold like an average of 46,000+ disc sales per volume, and Macross franchise is hugely popular in japan too
degJul 26, 2016 5:27 AM
Jul 26, 2016 5:40 AM

Oct 2015
Piracy is pretty common nowadays..
Jul 26, 2016 6:14 AM

Aug 2014
Maybe the otaku own all the series they want to own IDK.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 26, 2016 8:55 AM

Oct 2011
My guess is that they are now more inclined to use legal streaming services.
Jul 26, 2016 8:59 AM

Apr 2015
Fans haven't bought them to actually watch them for a long time, they buy them for the bonus material and to support the title.

So it's probably because there isn't a show that garnered enough fandom.

I'm pretty sure LLS will sell 30000+ this season
LanzJul 26, 2016 9:03 AM
Jul 26, 2016 9:01 AM

Jul 2015
Because that shit is too expensive, can't barely afford two 25 episode bluray box each year, i imagine it's not better for other people.
Jul 26, 2016 9:15 AM

Apr 2013
I am not sure. Maybe more piracy, but then again those people who only want to watch the anime once can just watch it on TV, and have probably always been doing that. Anime BDs have been mostly collectors items for quite a while now.

I guess possible reasons are:

-2016 anime simply isn't that good.
- Maybe people are spending more money on other kinds of merch/events. For example, I see a lot of fujoshi shows getting live stage-play events. After all,MAL doesn't keep track of revenue made through merch and events.
- cost of living seems to get higher every year. I knowthat lots of japanese people live with their parents, but it might still be difficult to find jobs there atm and people just don't have a lot of disposable income.

but those are just guesses, I wouldnt know....
Jul 26, 2016 9:32 AM

Feb 2013
to have some concrete numbers, i copypasted all data from someanithing in excel, and here is the average sales per year

2016 is currently at 3185 but i trust summer and fall will increase that average

2014 and 2015 sold pretty similar numbers, which are higher than 2004-2006

i would blame it on natural variance, rather than any outside factors
Jul 26, 2016 9:35 AM

Sep 2013
Streaming

Anime companies are finally getting with the times, Japan has always been slow in transitioning.
Netflix, iqiyi, crunchy roll and other steaming sites are already funding complete seasons and movies (all of RELife was available for streaming before it even aired on TV).
Disk sales is a geared towards the hardcore buyers anyways, so streaming becoming a big revenue is what's needed.
Jul 26, 2016 9:48 AM

Apr 2013
romagia said:
to have some concrete numbers, i copypasted all data from someanithing in excel, and here is the average sales per year

2016 is currently at 3185 but i trust summer and fall will increase that average

This is pretty damn interesting. 2002 sales are waaayy high, but tbh I don't really hear of 2002 being a very memorable year for anime. On the other hand 2004-2007 are pretty low (especially 05/06) and a lot of people here on the forums talk about how those were some really good years for anime. Right now it does look like natural variance , it's not like sales have been going down for 10 years straight. Even 2015 sold slightly more than 2014.
Jul 26, 2016 9:50 AM

Feb 2013
IndigoBangarang said:
romagia said:

This is pretty damn interesting. 2002 sales are waaayy high, but tbh I don't really hear of 2002 being a very memorable year for anime. On the other hand 2004-2007 are pretty low (especially 05/06) and a lot of people here on the forums talk about how those were some really good years for anime. Right now it does look like natural variance , it's not like sales have been going down for 10 years straight. Even 2015 sold slightly more than 2014.
2002 had a lot of 10k+ big guns - Gundam Seed, Azumanga Daioh, Onegai Teacher, Mahoromatic, GITS Stand Alone Complex, Ai Yori Aoshi, and Chobits

conversely, 06-07 had an unusually high number of anime, most of which did not sell well
Jul 26, 2016 9:54 AM

Apr 2015
IndigoBangarang said:
romagia said:

Because sales are one of the worst gauges of quality in anime...in most art forms probably
Jul 26, 2016 9:54 AM

Sep 2011
A few potential reasons:

1) Piracy
2) Legal free online streaming
3) The shows this year have been extremely shitty (subjective opinion) and generic
4) People are tired of paying a ridiculous amount of money for them. It is an even higher risk in international BDs where the official translations can be extremely bad or the font they use can be distracting.
Jul 26, 2016 9:59 AM

Jul 2015
My best guess would legal streaming. It's cheaper. You're probably only gonna watch it once anyways. And you're still supporting the industry.
Jul 26, 2016 10:04 AM

Apr 2013
BrandNew_Lanz said:
IndigoBangarang said:

Because sales are one of the worst gauges of quality in anime...in most art forms probably

I agree, popularity/high sales =/= high quality. Still, its interesting to see those numbers, considering how many people on here think that the anime industry was in a much better state in 2004-2007. The sales numbers don't really match up tho.

@romagia True, spring 06 was massive. But its still pretty interesting how those years had so low sales,but a lot of stand-out shows like Haruhi,Clannad,Lucky Star,Code Geass,Gurren Lagann were made then. Like all those shows are still popular to this day, both here on MAL and in Japan too. But I guess that brings us back to the popularity/high sales =/= high quality point....
IndigoBangarangJul 26, 2016 10:16 AM
Jul 26, 2016 10:25 AM

Feb 2013
IndigoBangarang said:
@romagia True, spring 06 was massive. But its still pretty interesting how those years had so low sales,but a lot of stand-out shows like Haruhi,Clannad,Lucky Star,Code Geass,Gurren Lagann were made then. Like all those shows are still popular to this day, both here on MAL and in Japan too. But I guess that brings us back to the popularity/high sales =/= high quality point....
it might also be a quirk of the data collecting system... in the early 00s the lowest selling shows might not show up at all or smth like that, but once they started showing up, the average declined

and with the release of bd, data collecting became easier again, and many shows which would appear as "0" in the past would appear in the several hundreds, again raising the average

it's all there in the someanithing faq which is a pretty interesting read http://www.someanithing.com/sales-faqguide
Jul 26, 2016 11:19 AM

Oct 2014
In Joshiraku (from 2012) they said that although the anime will have more viewers than the manga has readers most of the viewers will be watching for free and are therefore not actual customers. I'm sure there's some way to make money off of pirates.
Jul 26, 2016 11:55 AM

Dec 2012
Have you seen the extortion prices Japanese retailers charge for DVDs, BDs, CDs, and books? It's about 3X more expensive than it should be. $60 here in the states would get me a whole series or two, whereas it would only buy me 1 Japanese BD with only 1 or 2 episodes on it. Entertainment media is very expensive in Japan, I'd say that's the biggest reason people wouldn't buy it. This is also why Japan has such a piracy problem and why people there are undercutting the Japanese market and importing foreign versions instead of buy domestically.
KruszerJul 26, 2016 12:05 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 26, 2016 1:51 PM

Jan 2009
romagia said:

thanks for that hard work man

i just made this thread because i was shocked on how poorly the sales of Macross Delta was, ye its not terrible but for such a big franchise like Macross its kinda surprising how low the sales are
Jul 26, 2016 1:57 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:
i just made this thread because i was shocked on how poorly the sales of Macross Delta was, ye its not terrible but for such a big franchise like Macross its kinda surprising how low the sales are
Is there a way to determine how popular something is other than sales figures? I ask because I too am curious about the popularity of Macross Delta versus something like Frontier. I don't know if it's safe it assume that because one was a success the popularity would transition in whole to the next series.
Jul 26, 2016 2:05 PM

Jan 2009
Chandela said:
j0x said:
Is there a way to determine how popular something is other than sales figures? I ask because I too am curious about the popularity of Macross Delta versus something like Frontier. I don't know if it's safe it assume that because one was a success the popularity would transition in whole to the next series.

usually its just sales of discs that determines popularity especially for original anime series like Macross, but there is also source material sales boost like manga and light novel for anime adaptations as well as merchandise sales like CD musics and figurines/toys, and so far Macross Delta is 1 of the top selling music CD this season

@romagia

come to think of it i think overall the sales of 2016 so far is unusually low really since i remember that only few titles reach a lot of sales like Love Live and Girls and Panzer that are considered blockbusters anyway but for the majority of anime titles we barely see anything reach 10K+ sales
Jul 26, 2016 2:10 PM

Jan 2011
Hmm...didn't know this was a thing.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 26, 2016 2:16 PM
Jul 26, 2016 9:32 PM
Sep 2013
I don't know why it is happening but it is good if they start to adapt more wider sources because of this
Jul 27, 2016 12:13 AM

Jan 2009
umashikaneko said:
I don't know why it is happening but it is good if they start to adapt more wider sources because of this

welp are you checking some japanese anime sites? do they observe this decline of disc sales this year too and whats their guess on why is this happening?
Jul 27, 2016 2:50 AM
Sep 2013
j0x said:
umashikaneko said:

welp are you checking some japanese anime sites? do they observe this decline of disc sales this year too and whats their guess on why is this happening?

Yes a lot of people are saying this season and last season sales are terrible.I don't see many people analyzing it.

Among those who mentioned poor sales,some people blame less variety,some people say people have moved to mobile game,some people say disc sales model is ending,some people say they are adapting poor works
Jul 27, 2016 2:59 AM

Jan 2009
umashikaneko said:
j0x said:

Yes a lot of people are saying this season and last season sales are terrible.I don't see many people analyzing it.

Among those who mentioned poor sales,some people blame less variety,some people say people have moved to mobile game,some people say disc sales model is ending,some people say they are adapting poor works

i see, glad that even the japanese fans notice this decline in disc sales too

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
32 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Today

47 by Piromysl »»
40 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
42 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

37 by Ex-Aid »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.