Forum Settings
Forums

Intellectual discourse: An apotheosis of imagination and honesty

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 25, 2016 11:05 PM

Nov 2009
PoeticJustice said:
Salutations my compatriots. Twas a summer night and I wondered how to further my own edification regarding japanese animation. I sweat and I sweat and I wondered, how to have a civil discussion with my colleagues without resorting to name calling and other things of that ilk. Tell me young ones, how does one discuss anime, civilly?

Civil discussion is not simple. But with care and forethought, it is possible.

1) First of all, clear your first post of any hostility. Hostility just breeds more hostility.
Attack neither the users, nor the genres, nor the specific anime, nor the specific characters.

2) Second, choose a place and time for a discussion. No civil discussion has ever happened on unmoderated *chans, and even lightly-moderated MAL tends to breed hostility.
Discussing anime with your friends IRL while relaxing and drinking tea is probably the best. But if you can't do it, well, try following the rest of the advice here, and you might have a civil discussion even on a place as unrefined as MAL.

3) Third, think of a good topic for discussion. A good discussion needs a good topic.
It might seem hard to find a topic that does not violate point 1 inherently, but this is not the end of it.
If you fill the topic with love, it might just end up as a listing thread of the pictures that you like. Which is fine too, but not a discussion.
If you open up a topic that is too commonly discussed, there would be nothing for the users to tell one another, and the only thing left would be to hurl insults. Topics about loli are a good example - people are either sane people like me or horrible monstrosities who fail to listen to reason. No matter which side you're on.

This is the main reason bad topics swarm out good ones. Woe is us, but persevere, and rationality will prevail.

4) Describe your topic well. Badly-said topics make people confused and angry.
If you find your first post was confusing, do not hesitate to edit it.

5) When asking people for opinions that are best resolved with numbers, not arguments, make a poll.
It will cut down on the number of posts that simply state which side of the discussion the person is on.
Exercise wisdom and foresight to include all the major points of view, for people will be offended if their point of view is not represented at all. It is wise to discuss the possible answers in private with some people who are different from you, or learn from past discussions, for your own mind might have blind spots.

6) Take active part in your topics.
With the topicstarter present to steer the discussion, it would not go off into realms too controversial to discuss (see points 1 and 3), and would not fall prey to misunderstanding (see point 4).

This is probably not the end of things that one needs to do, but the end of my wisdom and experience on the subject. If only more topics were following this simple advice, we would know what other traps lie in the way of a good intellectual discussion.
Jul 25, 2016 11:09 PM

Mar 2016
flannan said:
PoeticJustice said:
Salutations my compatriots. Twas a summer night and I wondered how to further my own edification regarding japanese animation. I sweat and I sweat and I wondered, how to have a civil discussion with my colleagues without resorting to name calling and other things of that ilk. Tell me young ones, how does one discuss anime, civilly?

Civil discussion is not simple. But with care and forethought, it is possible.

1) First of all, clear your first post of any hostility. Hostility just breeds more hostility.
Attack neither the users, nor the genres, nor the specific anime, nor the specific characters.

2) Second, choose a place and time for a discussion. No civil discussion has ever happened on unmoderated *chans, and even lightly-moderated MAL tends to breed hostility.
Discussing anime with your friends IRL while relaxing and drinking tea is probably the best. But if you can't do it, well, try following the rest of the advice here, and you might have a civil discussion even on a place as unrefined as MAL.

3) Third, think of a good topic for discussion. A good discussion needs a good topic.
It might seem hard to find a topic that does not violate point 1 inherently, but this is not the end of it.
If you fill the topic with love, it might just end up as a listing thread of the pictures that you like. Which is fine too, but not a discussion.
If you open up a topic that is too commonly discussed, there would be nothing for the users to tell one another, and the only thing left would be to hurl insults. Topics about loli are a good example - people are either sane people like me or horrible monstrosities who fail to listen to reason. No matter which side you're on.

This is the main reason bad topics swarm out good ones. Woe is us, but persevere, and rationality will prevail.

4) Describe your topic well. Badly-said topics make people confused and angry.
If you find your first post was confusing, do not hesitate to edit it.

5) When asking people for opinions that are best resolved with numbers, not arguments, make a poll.
It will cut down on the number of posts that simply state which side of the discussion the person is on.
Exercise wisdom and foresight to include all the major points of view, for people will be offended if their point of view is not represented at all. It is wise to discuss the possible answers in private with some people who are different from you, or learn from past discussions, for your own mind might have blind spots.

6) Take active part in your topics.
With the topicstarter present to steer the discussion, it would not go off into realms too controversial to discuss (see points 1 and 3), and would not fall prey to misunderstanding (see point 4).

This is probably not the end of things that one needs to do, but the end of my wisdom and experience on the subject. If only more topics were following this simple advice, we would know what other traps lie in the way of a good intellectual discussion.

Someone actually gave a decent actual response. Time for us all to leave
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2016 11:12 PM

May 2009
Nico- said:
EggsOnToast said:

I had a discussion session with him in which he claimed to be the doctor for the anime community. Okay.

Yeah he's delusional to the max. At this point in time people who still take him seriously actually need to see a doctor themselves.

Exactly. It's baffling how his followers contend for him to such an extent. Similarly with Digibro. These reviewers really leave a negative impression on me, (similarly with many of these anime discussion threads too.) It's always better to get a cup of coffee with a friend and talk about recent happenings/events and have a laugh about life.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jul 26, 2016 1:35 AM

Feb 2013
EggsOnToast said:
Nico- said:

Yeah he's delusional to the max. At this point in time people who still take him seriously actually need to see a doctor themselves.

Exactly. It's baffling how his followers contend for him to such an extent. Similarly with Digibro. These reviewers really leave a negative impression on me, (similarly with many of these anime discussion threads too.) It's always better to get a cup of coffee with a friend and talk about recent happenings/events and have a laugh about life.
bbbbut you can do that on the internet with strangers on the youtube comment section, no friends required, coffee optional

flannan said:
2) Second, choose a place and time for a discussion. No civil discussion has ever happened on unmoderated *chans, and even lightly-moderated MAL tends to breed hostility
you'd be surprised :V
though we might have different views of what makes a civil discussion
Jul 26, 2016 3:19 AM

May 2016
I feel like the answer is to just have some semblance of human decency and you should be good.

Another thing is to not look down on having a discussion. I feel like it's so strange people are saying "there's nothing to talk about."

???
Jul 26, 2016 3:26 AM

Oct 2015
Nico- said:
EggsOnToast said:

I had a discussion session with him in which he claimed to be the doctor for the anime community. Okay.

TAS is trying so hard to be relevant now that it's just kinda sad.

His defence is that "Ohh it's just a fake personality I'm actually not this much of an asshole for real!"

But that's like this:
Jul 26, 2016 5:08 AM

Sep 2015
Best thread of the week, 10/10
- insignificant simpleton, merely passing through
Jul 26, 2016 7:36 AM

May 2012
shoujogod said:

you get me you really get me. save MAL
Jul 26, 2016 2:45 PM

Jan 2016
The beauty of anime discussions is whether it is civil or has become a battlefield, as long as there is passion for the medium.... it's a-okay. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's much more beautiful to look at than those people who make fun of this said passionate people, that I know(which I saw plenty in the latter half of this thread).
Jul 26, 2016 4:07 PM

Apr 2013
Anime
Honesty

Pick one mate. hahaha
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jul 26, 2016 4:20 PM

Mar 2016
When you have unironic ironists and ironic unironists all contending for the Top Spot you'll get intelligent conversation but none of it is good. Leaving meme-land is the only way.
Jul 26, 2016 10:08 PM

Nov 2014
One does not simply discuss anime without raising your pitchforks.

PoeticJustice said:
shoujogod said:

No. You're wrong. You're the hero MAL deserves. Rise up above the rest and save our last bastion of hope. And save the youtube comment section, as well, please, if you could.
Jul 26, 2016 10:12 PM

Nov 2014
Nico- said:
EggsOnToast said:

The snob's a tool who loves to attempt to create drama with other "Anime-tubers" as well. He has a certain beef with Digibro for whatever reason. (who's also a bit of a derp. Myself included)
Jul 26, 2016 10:19 PM

Mar 2016
TheDerpMan said:
One does not simply discuss anime without raising your pitchforks.

PoeticJustice said:

No. You're wrong. You're the hero MAL deserves. Rise up above the rest and save our last bastion of hope. And save the youtube comment section, as well, please, if you could.

Comment sections used to live together in harmony... But everything changed when the salty comments attacked
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

88 by FFandMMfan »»
54 seconds ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

92 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you tried to rewatch your old childhood anime shows as a more conscious anime fan?

RobertBobert - 10 hours ago

18 by KitsuFrost »»
8 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

42 by WaffleMaster89 »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 15 minutes ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.