Forum Settings
Forums

The Olympic village in Rio is uninhabitable

New
Jul 24, 2016 8:21 PM

Nov 2008
I know Rio was a mess but dear lord there isn't even adequate housing for athletes.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/australia-boycott-rio-athletes-village-not-safe-not-161643237.html?ref=gs

-The toilets are blocked

-Leaking pipes (mold hazard)

-Exposed wires (shock hazard)

-Water leaking on exposed wires (fire and shock hazard)

-Dirty floors

-No lighting in spots (fall hazard)

-Unspecified gas problems and gas smells (possibly deadly explosion hazard)

The slums are better than those buildings. Rio doesn't deserve the Olympics, they are treating athletes like they are 5th class citizens. The officials in Rio should be ashamed of themselves and fired.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 24, 2016 8:30 PM

Jun 2011
Why are they having the Olympics in a third-world country?
Jul 24, 2016 8:39 PM

May 2010
Narmy said:

Pretty much my question here.

Is this some kind of sympathy choice or something? They should just have bids for countries to host it.
Jul 24, 2016 8:42 PM

Jan 2009
too late to cancel the Olympics now though, they just have to learn from this huge mistake
Jul 24, 2016 8:50 PM

Aug 2013
Seems like things that can be fixed in time for the Olympics. Western media is trying to blow things out of proportion the same way it did for the 2008 Olympics in China.

Narmy said:
Why should they have it in major terrorist targets like America or Western Europe instead?
Jul 24, 2016 8:56 PM

Aug 2015
Pretty much looking forward to Tokyo 2020 at this point, there's nothing to look forward in this year's Olympics anyway but athletes and guests bringing diseases into their homeland, such a pity though.
Jul 24, 2016 9:00 PM
Jul 2016
Nothing too different that what happened on FIFA World Cup, in 2014.

Sometimes I have shame to be brazilian.
Everyday a different sig.

Jul 24, 2016 9:02 PM

Apr 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Seems like things that can be fixed in time for the Olympics. Western media is trying to blow things out of proportion the same way it did for the 2008 Olympics in China.

Narmy said:
Why should they have it in major terrorist targets like America or Western Europe instead?

fuck this character limit shit
Jul 24, 2016 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
I mean they can have it in one of the Dakotas or Montana I think even some people forget those are actual states :0
Jul 24, 2016 9:30 PM

Nov 2011
Rio used to be literally run by armed gangsters until the government brought the military to try and put some order for the international Olympics. not even the local police stood a chance against them. if you think Rio is bad now, you can't imagine how bad it was back then.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 24, 2016 9:31 PM
Feb 2014
<4 years later>

hurr durp the olympic village in tokyo is infected with corporate tyranny and rapists all over the streets
Jul 24, 2016 9:33 PM
Mar 2011
put it in the bin provided
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 24, 2016 9:34 PM
Mar 2011
Nico- said:
<4 years later>

hurr durp the olympic village in tokyo is infected with corporate tyranny and rapists all over the streets

huh i do not get it what do you mean
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 24, 2016 9:47 PM

Nov 2012
Narmy said:

Probably because countries like South Africa hosted the FIFA world cup successfully so they probably thought they could take a chance.

Jul 24, 2016 9:48 PM

Nov 2011
DateYutaka said:
Nico- said:
<4 years later>

I think he meant:
Tokyo used to be in precarious conditions when they hosted the olympics back in the 60s (i think..?)
implying that Rio is in the same condition as Tokyo from back then, and implying that
the conditions will improve drastically over time (considering that it's already 2016 and Rio is still in such conditions, it doesn't seem as Rio's quality of life will improve significantly, unless there's a major shift in politics.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 24, 2016 9:52 PM

Jan 2015
The reason they are hosting the Olympics in such a shitty area, is because when Brazil was chosen to host the Olympics this economy was getting better and wasn't terrible. Since they have been chosen it has dipped to the current situation.
Also, to the "Why should it be hosted in America when its being targeted by terrorist" These kind of events have incredible security, but I kind of wonder how it will be the next time we host. Either way, it would be better of In America than Brazils current state.
Jul 24, 2016 9:57 PM
Feb 2014
DreamingBeats said:
DateYutaka said:

I think he meant:
Tokyo used to be in precarious conditions when they hosted the olympics back in the 60s (i think..?)
implying that Rio is in the same condition as Tokyo from back then, and implying that
the conditions will improve drastically over time (considering that it's already 2016 and Rio is still in such conditions, it doesn't seem as Rio's quality of life will improve significantly, unless there's a major shift in politics.

No I am basically attacking Western journalism when it comes to visiting a non-EU country that is hosting the Olympics

Oh shit what am I about to start... NOOOO
Jul 24, 2016 11:33 PM

Dec 2013
I'm not as interested in the facilities as much as the athlete who keeps his head down and mouth shut. I have unlimited respect for Eye of the Tiger champions who've made it to the top in shit conditions with little sponsorship. Let the Games begin...
Jul 25, 2016 12:00 AM

Jul 2015
Nico- said:
<4 years later>

"damn chinks and their lolis, get some more democracy up in here"
Jul 25, 2016 12:32 AM

Jul 2015
bottle said:
Remind me of Sochi Winter Olympics.
It got a bit of similar reports, but Sochi was even more expensive than Beijing Olympics!
Sochi didn't have that much of crime concern like Brazil even though it had a few terrorist warnings.

It did turn out succefully despite that it was build by these guys :D

Jul 25, 2016 12:44 AM

Jun 2016
Took people long enough to realize this.They might as well don't bother with it anymore to be honest.I don't mind not watching the Olympics this summer really.
Jul 25, 2016 1:28 AM
Jul 2018
Wish they would consider the risks of picking a third world country. I understand the country equality thing where they get a chance but... some countries just shouldn't be able to hold an Olympics until they are stable and not a risk for the players or tourists to go watch.
Jul 25, 2016 5:42 AM

Jan 2015
DrGeroCreation said:
Narmy said:
Too bad a country filled with possible terrorists and aggressive refugees is still safer than a South American shithole.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.