Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 24, 2016 1:59 PM

Aug 2014
The question is pretty simple, which Gundam series should I watch. But I want to make one thing clear, I am not a complete newbie to the Gundam series. I have watched the original 79' series and the first 16 episodes of Zeta Gundam, though at this point it's been so long that I might as well start that series from the beginning.

So I just wanted to know what Gundam series you guys recommend. The only rule will be no UC series' unless of course you want to tell me to go Re-watch Zeta Gundam. Any other time line and spinoff is fair game. Personally I'm looking at After War Gundam X right now, that seems interesting. But I want to hear the thoughts of Gundam fans before I dive into anything because since I'm leaving for Bootcamp in about two weeks I'll only really have time to watch one more series.

Thanks in advance!
Jul 24, 2016 3:11 PM
Aug 2015
Since you said no UC series, I guess MSG 00 would be good.

Iron-Blooded Orphans is also really good.

SEED is also decent
Jul 24, 2016 3:15 PM

Jan 2011
Gundam 00 and SEED.

However, if you're okay with a UC sidestory, try 08th ms team.
Jul 24, 2016 3:17 PM

Mar 2011
Personally, I'd recommend watching G Gundam. It's not too serious compared to the other Gundam series, sure it's a bit cheesy compared to the others as well, but I think that's part of it's charm. It's also fast paced which is always a plus in my book. Lastly, the way that the pilots control the gundams in this series is pretty unique with the whole gesture/movement based mechanism where the pilots mimic what the pilot is doing and also the pilot's fighting style and the pilot actually feels the pain every time his gundam suffers any damage.

That being said, it may or may not be to your liking since it is indeed very different from the usual Gundam series due to it's over the top action, cheesiness, and the fact that they tended to deviate from being too "political" like the usual Gundam series is. But then again that's also the reason why it has gained a following.
Jul 24, 2016 3:23 PM

Aug 2014
ShiroiMuffler said:
Gundam 00 and SEED.

Guess I should've made this a bit more clear. The only reason I said no UC series' is because I didn't want to be recommended a series that I needed prior knowledge to really enjoy. Like I have to watch Zeta Gundam in order to understand Char's Counterattack. So if there are any UC sidestories or spin-offs that you don't need any prior knowledge to enjoy then feel free to add them too guys.
Jul 24, 2016 4:43 PM
Aug 2015
fatboyftw said:
ShiroiMuffler said:
Gundam 00 and SEED.

Guess I should've made this a bit more clear. The only reason I said no UC series' is because I didn't want to be recommended a series that I needed prior knowledge to really enjoy. Like I have to watch Zeta Gundam in order to understand Char's Counterattack. So if there are any UC sidestories or spin-offs that you don't need any prior knowledge to enjoy then feel free to add them too guys.

Watching 08th MS Team should be fine without prior knowledge to the UC timelime. The events 08th MS Team take place roughly near the beginning of Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 and after the Battle of Odessa.

As with Zeta and Char's Counterattack, they don't even happen until nearly a decade after the One Year War.

Really unless you care about mini easter-eggs, 08th MS Team would be a good watch. If not, the others recommended like 00 and SEED are good too. Just stay away from AGE, AGE was bad.

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
54 minutes ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
4 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - 9 hours ago

2 by Snailsoup »»
8 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Apr 23

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
11 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - 11 hours ago

0 by MeZaDefined »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.