Forum Settings
Forums

What is the point in anime/fantasy in general? Need help :/

New
Jul 24, 2016 3:50 AM
Jul 2016
Coming from a huge anime/book fan, who basically grew up thinking the world is magical and special....
I've got a question.

Why bother reading books, stories.... watching anime or cartoons.... Tv's shows and movies?
There is legit no point, its FANTASY... it has no impact on real life...

Im 17 now and I basically grew up reading books, playing vid games, recently got into anime and some aspiring tv shows... and I just get more and more depressed and jealous of the characters in those worlds... And i got a bunch of problems, because I haven't been studying or working hard for myself and now my future seems unpleasant..since everything revolves around money in reality, as oppose to priority's in Anime and fantasy (eg. magic, bravery, love ect.)

It comes to my realisation that I'd be the happiest man on earth if I could have a tiny bit of magic in me..
eg: make a small flame appear in my hand. I'd feel so happy, BUT WHY?
It would help me in nothing in life, except to show off and feel better than others... such selfish reasons, only cause you'd want to feel special that you can use 'magic' and others cant.

And yes, fantasy is a source of escapism from reality, but that just shows how screwed the world is, for millions upon millions of people playing video games, watching anime and reading books.

I feel that my whole life is built around fantasy, everything I do/think about, I imagine how cool would it be if...(insert impossible magical event) and Im done for the rest of the day, thinking how that is all fiction.
Could someone please help me out and tell me what to do?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 24, 2016 3:53 AM
Aug 2015
fantasy is a source of escapism from reality
Jul 24, 2016 3:54 AM

Jun 2016
The primary point of it is entertainment, it also can broaden your mind but that's really it, but that is more than enough reason to watch/read them.I wouldn't call it escapism that's for sure.I mean we all aspire for something we probably will never get but the dream is still there, it's not an attempt at escaping from reality.
Jul 24, 2016 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
Well you can try to lucid dream but meh
Jul 24, 2016 3:56 AM

Jun 2015
It's a source of enjoyment.

Would you rather have a monotonous life otherwise?
Jul 24, 2016 4:36 AM

Mar 2015
Would you rather watch an anime about the current events happening around the world, or watch Kazuma stumble around in his shitty fantasy life?
Jul 24, 2016 4:44 AM
Jul 2016
Im very sorry if Im coming off very negative in the post and question. Just please understand :/ Everything I've learned and believed in thus far isint really all true.
I just feel bad thinking that the best I can do is study and work, get some well paid job, come home and finally sit down for that dose of excitement for the day when watching the next episode of whatever it is.... ya knw? dosent sound all sugar to me :/
Jul 24, 2016 4:49 AM

Mar 2015
Limeryk said:
Im very sorry if Im coming off very negative in the post and question. Just please understand :/ Everything I've learned and believed in thus far isint really all true.
I just feel bad thinking that the best I can do is study and work, get some well paid job, come home and finally sit down for that dose of excitement for the day when watching the next episode of whatever it is.... ya knw? dosent sound all sugar to me :/

I mean, that's life. I too don't want to sound pessimistic, but there isn't much of an alternative. Earn money, get enough, retire, troll on MAL. That's life in a nutshell~
Jul 24, 2016 4:55 AM

Jun 2012
You sure you don't have an eight grade syndrome? Fantasy by definition is not just about magic overall...it could be any kind of pretend.

Truth be told it is escapism, or in a roundabout way of calming yourself, feeling like " I have been searching for peace and found it in a corner of a book." And yes within that safe context, is fun.
Fantasizing things, theorizing situation how awesome it is if reality could be the same as that. I'm implying fantasy could be vital to our minds as well. It'll give you a clearer perspective on world's harsh reality and be prepared for it.
Jul 24, 2016 5:00 AM

Jul 2015
I've been wondering about that for last maany months, having exactly the same thoughts as you. The only answer to the question "What sense is hidden behind watching animes/laying games/reading Sci-fi or fantasy/watching films? I've reached so far is because, there's very little sense behind anything else. Reality for most of us is (and will be) gray, dull, not interesing (except a few moments, if you're lucky enough). And life these days is (and probably always was) consisted of studying, working, eating, sleeping and not much things above that. What's so exciting about reality anyway?
In short version of that post would be "The point of that is in lack of points in anything else you're meant to do". Sadly.
Jul 24, 2016 5:01 AM

Jan 2015
There's no point to anything fam. All we need to do is eat, shit, sleep, procreate and die. Not trying to be an edge-lord, but that is all we really have to do to survive as a race.

Kinda late-bloomer with this realisation, bruh.
Status_EffectJul 24, 2016 5:04 AM
Jul 24, 2016 5:03 AM

Feb 2016
Limeryk said:

Youre 17, its understandable thinking about these things, i was doing the same. You just have to accept there arent any answers for a lot of things and live life how it comes at you. Also if you sometimes feel like its too boring you can drink alcohol or take drugs to relax.
As for the topic question its all meant for enjoyment, obviously??

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 24, 2016 5:05 AM

Jun 2016
To escape from reality, to have fun, are you fucking retarded?
SkelimanJul 24, 2016 5:10 AM
Jul 24, 2016 5:06 AM

Apr 2015
oh god another MUH REALISM person.

Why do you watch anything? Nothing is real! Nothing you're watching is real. holy shit man.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2016 5:09 AM

Feb 2013
Limeryk said:
do you see any realistic possibility for sugar ?
Jul 24, 2016 5:12 AM

Apr 2016
This is a dilemma that is not solely present in fantasy anime, books, or games. It's a dilemma present in any form of fiction. We suspend our disbelief for a couple hours a day and let stories engross us, and when we're done maybe we feel like we didn't enjoy it. Maybe we did enjoy it. Maybe we learned something. Many people like to think or say that you're wasting your time; maybe you are. Also, maybe you're not. Just because you invest(ed) a lot of time in escaping reality, doesn't mean it's all pointless, and it's all a waste of time, and it definitely doesn't mean it has no impact on reality. I like to believe that deep down, everyone is so keen to escape reality not necessarily because their real lives suck, but because they seek to improve them somehow; looking for inspiration and joy. No matter what, at the end of the day, the only person who can make you think you wasted your time is yourself. There is a merit and something to take away from every story we read/watch, bad or good; it's up to you to decide whether to take it or not.
AdiAug 28, 2016 2:55 PM
Jul 24, 2016 5:16 AM

Mar 2015
JkayW said:

Why do you watch anything? Nothing is real! Nothing you're watching is real. holy shit man.

except my waifu, my waifu is real, nothing you say can change that
Jul 24, 2016 5:17 AM
Feb 2016
Yeah, it's a good point, but there's a definite reason why we watch anime, and it's not just for entertainment.

Art as a medium is based off things in reality, and all art should reveal things about the human spirit. The world isn't as screwed up as you think, and all you have to do is simply watch stuff that reveals this to you. Fiction isn't simply an escape from reality, it's a way of perceiving reality.

I'm sure you can see this in lots of series. I recommend watching Mushishi, it's very poetic and it appeals to simply the human spirit.
Jul 24, 2016 5:17 AM

Apr 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:
JkayW said:

You know there is probably some guy tainting your waifu right now.

How do you feel?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2016 5:22 AM

Mar 2015
JkayW said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

How do you feel?

time to go hunting, someone needs to pay

Jul 24, 2016 5:23 AM

Dec 2015
Becuz its entertainment you idiot. Just as regular TV shows, youtube vids etc. Are u that retarded m8?
Jul 24, 2016 5:24 AM

Apr 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:
JkayW said:

How do you feel?

By someone, I hope you mean over 100,000 people.
Jul 24, 2016 5:25 AM

Mar 2015
JkayW said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

By someone, I hope you mean over 100,000 people.

nothing shall stop me from defending my property rights
Jul 24, 2016 5:29 AM

Feb 2013
i really like this comic and i feel its kinda relevant
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110423.gif
Jul 24, 2016 5:34 AM

Apr 2010
What's the point of anything? You're just going to cease to exist one day.
Jul 24, 2016 5:35 AM

Mar 2015
antonn said:
What's the point of anything? You're just going to cease to exist one day.

the body is perishable but the waifu is eternal
Jul 24, 2016 5:37 AM
Jul 2016
OneTrueEmiya said:
Limeryk said:

I mean, that's life. I too don't want to sound pessimistic, but there isn't much of an alternative. Earn money, get enough, retire, troll on MAL. That's life in a nutshell~
I feel like I've skipped everything and cut straight to the trolling part :P Da post is flooding with critisism and for a good reason too... maybe im just rly dumb to ask such question on a site full of fantasy lovers :P
Jul 24, 2016 5:39 AM
Jul 2016
So obviously everyone is right, does that mean I should get my shit together and start doing something? I guess no point sulking without trying to change something myself right? ...

Or not :P I dont know god dammit, im just a dumb-ass lazy kid :/
Jul 24, 2016 5:40 AM

Mar 2015
Limeryk said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

I feel like I've skipped everything and cut straight to the trolling part :P Da post is flooding with critisism and for a good reason too... maybe im just rly dumb to ask such question on a site full of fantasy lovers :P

You should go to Netflix or IMDB or something where more mainstream people are. I think you'll find the answer you want to hear there~

Limeryk said:
So obviously everyone is right, does that mean I should get my shit together and start doing something? I guess no point sulking without trying to change something myself right? ...

Or not :P I dont know god dammit, im just a dumb-ass lazy kid :/

Just watch more anime. Any problem is solved with more anime anyway~
Jul 24, 2016 6:04 AM
Jul 2016
[/quote]
You should go to Netflix or IMDB or something where more mainstream people are. I think you'll find the answer you want to hear there~

It's not about what I want to hear, its about what I need to hear... I dont want to be told lies, but the truth, which the so called 'edge lords' got no problem sharing :P Which im thankful for... I think imma move on from now on, the post has been quite helpful :P
Jul 24, 2016 2:02 PM

Nov 2009
Limeryk said:
Coming from a huge anime/book fan, who basically grew up thinking the world is magical and special....
I've got a question.

Why bother reading books, stories.... watching anime or cartoons.... Tv's shows and movies?
There is legit no point, its FANTASY... it has no impact on real life...

1) It's easy to make a psychology-based argument. Something about how you can't ride giant robots or murder your classmates in real life, but your brain evolved to do just that.
But you probably know them all already.

2) The literature teacher's argument.
Fiction is not just fantasy. It's a "warped mirror" reflection of our reality. Of author's beliefs, hopes and worries.
Can you say that 1984 is "just fantasy"? It's all too real now, and we have to fight it off.

3) Have a capitalist argument. Fiction, and all other kinds of things that aren't job, are about fitting in and getting along with the right people. If your colleagues are geeks, you should have geeky hobbies. If they are rich, you should play golf with them. And so on.

4) More seriously, fiction is all about building your own personality and beliefs. That should give you a measure of protection against manipulation (by politicians, cultists, "friends" and other people), and make you a better person. Which usually means better results in life.

Limeryk said:
Im 17 now and I basically grew up reading books, playing vid games, recently got into anime and some aspiring tv shows... and I just get more and more depressed and jealous of the characters in those worlds... And i got a bunch of problems, because I haven't been studying or working hard for myself and now my future seems unpleasant..since everything revolves around money in reality, as oppose to priority's in Anime and fantasy (eg. magic, bravery, love ect.)

That's a lie too. Sure, you can study a lot, get a good job and make good money. That would not make you all that happy.
A lot of older people here are caught in this trap.
We do have the money to sustain our lifestyle, but we don't have love to fill the emptiness inside. Whatever lies your mother might have told you, money doesn't automatically give you girlfriends.
We do not have bravery and superpowers to make our world a better place. And the world needs being made a better place before it's too late! You might want to watch "Maji Watashi ni Koi wo Shinasai" for some of the reasons the world needs to be made a better place. Or you can just turn on the news.

Limeryk said:

Don't just aim for a well-paid job. Aim for a job you can enjoy doing. What appeals to you the most?
Tinkering with the fundamental building blocks of the universe?
Making the perfect watermelon?
Bringing joy to millions of people?
Helping others from depression and other psychological trouble?
Sitting all alone maintaining a beacon hours away from all civilization?
Saving lives?
Fighting crime?
Protecting the motherland?
Making robot catgirls?
Piloting spacecraft?
You can be anyone you want to be!
Jul 24, 2016 2:08 PM

Jul 2014
Not to be deep or harsh or anything but u gotta face the obstacle thats been standing in your way some day.... just whether u know what to do or not or if u have the confidence - Fantasy is just a ideal escape from reality but we cant forever run away from it cause we live in reality :/ soz ik its deep man but yeah :/
Jul 25, 2016 7:33 AM

May 2015
Fantasy isn't escapism. It's taking ideas and giving them physical forms. Is the story of Prometheus mere escpapsim?

Think less about how cool is shooting flames in your hands. Instead, try to reflect about the implications of such a skill.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 25, 2016 8:22 AM
Jul 2016
I just want to thank all of you guys for the help and advice, sure some comments were harsh/deep, but very true, and thats what matters... Imma still spend some time putting in thought on what to do with my life, but at least now I understand where to go from here. Thank you all seriously for the help, wont ever forget....

Didnt expect this website to contain such great variety of people... Im glad I've come across it :P
Jul 25, 2016 8:31 AM

Dec 2015
How can we see if our eyes aren't real anyway ?

I don't get the question. Fantasy and sci-fi stimulate the imagination, offer hundreds of different possibilities, is hands down the best source of escapism and has so many different types that it can pretty much appeal to anyone. And sci-fi often offers possibilities in relation to reality so it's not too far from it, have you ever seen dystopia stories OP ? In any case I just think you're missing on a lot of great stuff if you refrain from watching anything that defies reality. I don't want to be rude but this is going to be blunt: Most people who can't enjoy these genres are almost always limited in imagination and too focused on being down-to-earth. Be glad you aren't in their case.

As for being "jealous" of the people in said worlds that's just a personal problem man. Life is shitty because you want it to be.
KingRequiemJul 25, 2016 8:44 AM
Jul 25, 2016 8:37 AM

Aug 2015
Being able to produce a small flame would help you out a lot irl. You can appear in TV shows and other shit and well, PROFIT unless ofc if the government kidnaps you and performed experiments on you LOL

You can also use it for well, makinf a fire and other stuff obviously

That'd make starting a fire much much easier
Jul 25, 2016 1:06 PM

Nov 2009
KurosoraRyuga said:
Being able to produce a small flame would help you out a lot irl. You can appear in TV shows and other shit and well, PROFIT unless ofc if the government kidnaps you and performed experiments on you LOL

Producing a small flame might sound trivial, but for a scientist who gets to study you, it's a treasure trove. Do you have glands that produce flammable gas? (can we take you genes and splice them into farm animals?) Laser organs? (Now that's something military or spies would want enough to allow making GM humans) Or maybe some force unknown to science? (that's a discovery of the century!)
Jul 25, 2016 1:10 PM

Jun 2016
One word:escapism
we watch fantasy stories to escape from our reality and our problems .
beside that for entertainment ,nobody watch animes or movies hoping for a life changing experience.
Jul 25, 2016 1:14 PM

May 2016
Don't know why people conflate fantasy purely with escapism. I feel like that kind of argument just demonstrates that people really don't know much about fantasy.
Jul 25, 2016 1:21 PM

Mar 2016
I'm sure most people (though not all) watch anime and read books to escape life. Or simply to be amused when they are feeling unamused. Some watch it to find happiness when sad (in other words, to escape sadness). I'm sure a lot of people would rather live in a certain anime than reality because anime is meant to be crazy and awesome (I hate slice of life anime, but come on, I'm sure everyone wants to be in one of those funny school clubs).
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Jul 25, 2016 8:34 PM

Aug 2015
flannan said:
KurosoraRyuga said:

Producing a small flame might sound trivial, but for a scientist who gets to study you, it's a treasure trove. Do you have glands that produce flammable gas? (can we take you genes and splice them into farm animals?) Laser organs? (Now that's something military or spies would want enough to allow making GM humans) Or maybe some force unknown to science? (that's a discovery of the century!)

I know, that's what I'm saying lol..
Jul 25, 2016 9:18 PM
Jun 2016
TC you must be young and single perhaps? Otherwise, you should probably confide in your significant other.

Anime, movies, games are all entertainment and they are all a form of escapism from reality. We enjoy and that is all that matter. But of course you should not neglect your real life priorities. Work, studies, relationships, etc.
Jul 25, 2016 9:29 PM

Jan 2012
Because after a long day at work I want to watch/read something that entertains me, whether it makes me laugh, cry, or feel like I'm on the edge of my seat. Why would I want to go home and just sit there, staring at the wall until tomorrow rolls around and I do the same thing over again?

I don't think that it's all for "escapism," but that's a large part of it. But there's also a lot to be learned from the worlds we read about or watch. You're broadening your imagination, too. Who cares that you can't make a flame happen in your palm? It'd be cool. Maybe write a story about someone who can. I don't effing know.

" as long as i'm here,
you're invincible
"

because i don't follow
threads, quote me if you
want me to see something.

ANIME LIST
MANGA LIST
CRUNCHYROLL
Jul 25, 2016 10:14 PM

Nov 2009
Yudina said:
Don't know why people conflate fantasy purely with escapism. I feel like that kind of argument just demonstrates that people really don't know much about fantasy.

I agree. People might read fiction for escapism, but it does not mean that is everything that they gain from it.
Jul 25, 2016 11:40 PM
Jun 2016
Bezaliel said:
Well you can try to lucid dream but meh

Lucid dreaming is actually more harmful than helpful. I ever tried lucid dreaming successfully but only once. Of course it didn't last long as I was uncontrollably excited, my heartrate went up and I unwillingly awoken.

It was euphoria. The entire dream is your creation. Flying, location, people. Imagine if there was a device to put us in a controlled state of lucid dreaming. We literally have no need for any other form of entertainment.

I imagine characters from anime like SAO are probably more akin to being traped a controlled lucid dream state environment game instead of something like VR.
Jul 25, 2016 11:48 PM

Sep 2011
Life is absolutely meaningless for those who aren't in the 1%. We are the shitty NPCs who have absolutely no impact on the world at all. If you were to disappear absolutely nothing would change. People watch fantasy for the feeling of being in the 1% and the feeling that your existence matters.
Jul 26, 2016 12:09 AM

Nov 2015
Because fantasy uses symbols and the visual side to tell its point.Think about the greek mythology;those stories seem to not have any relation to the world today,but going in-depth and analyzing it's meaning reveals its true sense.

If you say fantasy has no point,you must think that any fantastic story you know is useless,be it fable,poems (containing mystic elements),adventure movies etc.Fantasty challanges the mind to find the meaning of it!

Personally,I do not find any point in slice of life anime.All my friends enjoy shows like Nisekoi or Toradora,but I CAN NOT force myself to watch any anime who has no fantasy elements to it, because I find it pointless to watch something animated that shows something real! But that is just me!!I tried to change but there is no way I can do that.

Anyway,what I wanted to say in these long paragraphs is that fantasy isn't superficial,it isn't about a flame coming from your hand,it's a huge genre that portrays reality in a way meant to make you question it's meaning by transposing real elements to create a fictional world.Try to adopt a different view when watching a fantasy anime,but if that doesn't work,it just means that you are attracted only to the realistic side of anime,and there is nothing wrong with that!!

Jul 26, 2016 2:47 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No point in asking others, you decide that for yourself. If you think there's no point, then there isn't one.
Jul 26, 2016 2:58 AM

Feb 2013
Shirasho said:
Life is absolutely meaningless for those who aren't in the 1%. We are the shitty NPCs who have absolutely no impact on the world at all. If you were to disappear absolutely nothing would change. People watch fantasy for the feeling of being in the 1% and the feeling that your existence matters.
you are the 1% for the people who matter : ^ )

dissapearance of shirasho suzumyia will not be an absolute nothing for his SOS club
Jul 26, 2016 3:00 AM

Jul 2016
Find
Limeryk said:

Find something in life that excites you and do it. It doesn't HAVE to be your job but as long as its something you're really passionate about, you can be creative and probably make some side income off it.

If you don't have a passion yet, its because you're still very young and haven't done much in life. It sucks but thats the reality of growing pains. I was in your position once too.

As for your original question of "why bother?" Everyone is going to give you a difference answer for this but, for me personally my answer is "to have fun." I watch anime to have fun, and escapism can be fun. That's why we have fiction.

To me, there's no real meaning to life since I'm not religious and I'm perfectly fine with that. You don't see dogs running around lamenting about "what's the point in anything," they're just happy to eat, play with their owner and go on walks. The simpler you keep things the happier you're going to be.

Shirasho said:

If you shift your views a little beyond the human race, you'll come to realise the 1% are absolutely meaningless too. Even if you become the greatest ruler the world has ever seen and rule Earth with an iron fist, you're really just a ruler of a tiny speck in the cosmos. The 1% are no more and no less significant than you.
closetsenpaiJul 26, 2016 3:04 AM
--------
Blog about anime/games and also where I share some University survival tips
@ https://closetsenpai.wordpress.com/
--------
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 19 minutes ago

7 by Spunkert »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

198 by Shizuna »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Apr 23

22 by shin0by »»
3 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
32 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.