Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 22, 2016 6:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh boy, the PTSD moments that Guts experiences keeps coming back about Casca..
Those scenes felt really nostalgic.

Not really used to Judeau's character design yet..but I guess his voice works somewhat well for now. On the other hand, I can't take Mozgus seriously for some reason lol. The way they presented the torture scenes were painful to watch. Not bad for the episode though, getting better with the recent developments.
TyrelJul 24, 2017 8:00 PM
Jul 22, 2016 8:13 AM
Dec 2009
Aside from the poor animation it was an ok episode. Nothing much happen but at least we get to see Caska.
Jul 22, 2016 8:20 AM
Apr 2014
I am still thinking the same thing I did since episode 1, that that this is a series that will benefit from a touch up and censoring on bluray.

I still can't see myself watching this as many time as I have the original series though.
I wonder what would happen if tentacles were involved...
Jul 22, 2016 8:21 AM

May 2016
I guess the Casca whitewashing has stopped... for now. Well, at least we got to see best girl Luca
Jul 22, 2016 8:37 AM

Dec 2014
Average episode I guess, Build up for Conviction.

Rickert :D
Lot of retrospection by Guts this episode, Thinking back on a number of things. It was cool to see him find his Conviction to save Casca.

There he is, Mozgus. Never liked the guy.
The crowd reactions to the wheel punishment was just weird, Fair amount of censoring but the intensity of the scene was still there.
Nice that we finally get to see Luca.
Jul 22, 2016 8:56 AM
Dec 2012
Best episode soo far, glad to finaly see some improvement, maybe all hope is not lost after all.

hate how they show gorgerous 2d stuff, just to mix it up with horrible CGI moments later. Let me eyes get used to that horrible shit, dammit!
Jul 22, 2016 8:57 AM

Jan 2009
I can't believe that I'm actually laughing at Berserk

WHAT ARE THOSE FACES LOL
Jul 22, 2016 9:04 AM

Jun 2011
Cavemansome said:

WHAT ARE THOSE FACES LOL

Judeau knows it...
Jul 22, 2016 9:18 AM
Mar 2011
Cavemansome said:

WHAT ARE THOSE FACES LOL

That easy they are losing there minds and justifying what is going on before them. That kind of the point of bezerk justification of madness and how humans do that at all points of there life. Every thing "good work" or ppl who try to justified the means are this way. Its all a level of madness.
Jul 22, 2016 9:23 AM

Jul 2010
Chaotic_beauty said:
They finally did it, they made a mediocre episode opposed to shit! 5/10 Bravo guys, this really is the berserk we dreamed of and deserved what a time to be alive

I couldn't have said it better myself!

There was actually a lot of 2D in this episode compared to the first 3 episodes, and most of it looked decent-to-good - with the exception of the shot of Rickert above.

Too bad it started to fall apart late in the episode, where it returned to form with stiff CGI, mediocre 2D, and poor direction.

That said, I finally felt like they were actually trying in this episode. That's something I couldn't say about episodes 1 & 2 at all, and could only say for about 1/3 of episode 3.
MARISA-KAITENJul 22, 2016 9:27 AM
Jul 22, 2016 9:30 AM

Jul 2014
I could have sworn that Rickert had died in the Eclipse, but clearly I was wrong and he too somehow survived. I also don't know how Casca got away from Griffith, so I'm hoping we get some sort of explanation on that at some point. Either way, this is clearly setting up a new arc so is an okay start, though it got a lot more interesting when Mozgus the Grand Inquisitor was introduced.
Jul 22, 2016 9:47 AM
Mar 2016
I'm not going to lie videogame cutscenes look better than this shit. The 1997 anime had better animation, this was by far the worst episode so far. Yeah there was alot of build up but it was so bland and forgettable
Jul 22, 2016 9:48 AM

Jul 2009
danieltortoisee said:
I could have sworn that Rickert had died in the Eclipse, but clearly I was wrong and he too somehow survived. I also don't know how Casca got away from Griffith, so I'm hoping we get some sort of explanation on that at some point.

Watch the third Golden Age Arc movie.

If this new series ever gets around to explaining or showing that properly it will probably be depicted worse than the movie anyways.
Jul 22, 2016 9:51 AM
May 2015
That was a nice episode, better than the previous ones.

Cavemansome said:

WHAT ARE THOSE FACES LOL

They're enjoying what they're seeing like in the manga. You should check again.
NobodyKnowJul 22, 2016 9:57 AM
Jul 22, 2016 9:57 AM
Jul 2015
danieltortoisee said:
I could have sworn that Rickert had died in the Eclipse, but clearly I was wrong and he too somehow survived. I also don't know how Casca got away from Griffith, so I'm hoping we get some sort of explanation on that at some point. Either way, this is clearly setting up a new arc so is an okay start, though it got a lot more interesting when Mozgus the Grand Inquisitor was introduced.

Here is your answer, if you havent read the manga:
BEWARE OF SPOILERS:

Jul 22, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2015
Good episode overall, well adapted... but CGI scenes are killing me...
Jul 22, 2016 10:00 AM
May 2010
.... So our good lady Farnese is a massive sadist. Not utterly unexpected but, well, it was odd to see.. I wonder how long she'll survive!
Jul 22, 2016 10:03 AM

Feb 2012
>Teaches people about God
>By hitting them in the head with the Bible.

My man Mozgus. Good episode overall, too bad the show isn't in original style so the torturers would look more dark and scary.
Jul 22, 2016 10:38 AM

Aug 2014
This episode was pretty on point. Voice acting was a lot better than the previous one, to the point I'd say it's actually good. Bits of character developement and all in all a faithful adaptation ( just a little faster than the manga, happily, seeing as people are already complaining it's too slow lmao)
Casca's skin colour is ?? fluid ??

(also stop complaining about the CGI lmao, you've made your point. like this isn't even bad, i've seen a lot worse 2D animation)
Jul 22, 2016 10:46 AM

Nov 2010
I held on long enough to see Mozgus, that's really all I wanted.

The CGI hasn't really gotten any better or grown on me like it has in other CGI shows like Ajin, so I guess I can leave this behind now.
Jul 22, 2016 11:12 AM
Dec 2012
demonskul777 said:
This episode was pretty on point. Voice acting was a lot better than the previous one, to the point I'd say it's actually good. Bits of character developement and all in all a faithful adaptation ( just a little faster than the manga, happily, seeing as people are already complaining it's too slow lmao)

(also stop complaining about the CGI lmao, you've made your point. like this isn't even bad, i've seen a lot worse 2D animation)

Soo..your point is 'stop complainign about something thats bad, because i've seen badder thing elsewhere?'......lol.
Jul 22, 2016 11:14 AM
Apr 2015

That horse totally looks like its checking out Farnese...
Jul 22, 2016 11:14 AM

Feb 2013
That was brutal, religion after all.
Casca finally appeared.
Jul 22, 2016 11:18 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
nezu11 said:

That horse totally looks like its checking out Farnese...

ROLF! You made my day with that observation!

Since I promised never to rant about the CG and animation again, I'll make a couple of positive observations. NUmber one: It seems whitewashed Casca is simply a OP phenomenon and she looks the way she's supposed too in this episode. Number two: Luca who is one of my favorite characters in the manga seems to be voiced by none other than Miyuki Sawashiro who is one of my favorite seeiyus. Or am I mistaken?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 22, 2016 11:18 AM

Feb 2015
Was hoping the torture scene was a bit more brutal (showing more of the gory details). Aside from the crappy CGI, it was an all right episode.
Jul 22, 2016 11:24 AM

Jan 2009
Oh lol that replacement apostle looked so shitty that I actually burst out laughing.
Now I see why they didn't come up with an original Apostle for the previous ep and used the one from the manga lol
Yea it was a few second flashback, but they could atleast pretend that they actually put some effort to this crap(they cleary don't)

I liked the part where Guts reminiscences about the good old days, back when everyone was still hand drawn lol
So I guess the Eclipse screwed up Guts so bad that he now sees everything in CGI.

Well atleast this ep actually follows the manga, can't complain about that.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jul 22, 2016 11:35 AM

Aug 2014
Rekien said:
demonskul777 said:

Soo..your point is 'stop complainign about something thats bad, because i've seen badder thing elsewhere?'......lol.

No, I said - I quote:

"also stop complaining about the CGI lmao, you've made your point."

I'm saying that it's the same old complaint over and over and that it's exagerated as the series goes on, at this point everyone is saying "the animation is bad" every episode, a pointless remark on an episode discussion of a series with overall bad animation.

I said that it wasn't so horrible, considering people are giving the animation a score of 1. it's below average, but not a 1. I'd give it a 3 to 4 personally.
Jul 22, 2016 12:00 PM

Jun 2015
I can't wait for the next episode.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 22, 2016 12:04 PM

Jun 2015
ShadowGilgamesh said:
I held on long enough to see Mozgus, that's really all I wanted.

The CGI hasn't really gotten any better or grown on me like it has in other CGI shows like Ajin, so I guess I can leave this behind now.

Ajin was so good, right? but they failed Berserk big one
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 22, 2016 1:00 PM

Apr 2011
I'm still enjoying the series, people can bitch all they want. I'm digging it, warts and all. It's still Berserk, after all.
Jul 22, 2016 1:08 PM

Feb 2009
Blind_Guardian said:
I'm still enjoying the series, people can bitch all they want. I'm digging it, warts and all. It's still Berserk, after all.

Being Berserk makes it more insulting thou
Jul 22, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2009
Keeps getting better by each passing episode.
Jul 22, 2016 1:33 PM

Sep 2010
Seems that we finally left the Anime miss-mash and we finally entered the tower of conviction arc.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about the story any more.
Jul 22, 2016 1:47 PM

Mar 2014
Much better episode than last week
Jul 22, 2016 1:51 PM

Jun 2013
well well well...what a nostalgia...
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jul 22, 2016 2:01 PM
May 2015
Nezperdian said:
Leaving in this spoiler 4 images from the chapter 132 of the manga (148 if you add the first 16 that doesn't have number) so you can compare.

They did a good job. Why compare the anime with the manga anyway? The manga is not "animated." Do you get it? The anime is "animated."

Btw they replaced the dog apostle with the chicken apostle, it was hilarious.

Jul 22, 2016 3:15 PM

May 2010
Comedian said:
Blind_Guardian said:

Being Berserk makes it more insulting thou

Exactly.... In any other series it wouldn't be surprising or out of the norm. But none would have expected for Berserk to get such nasty treatment.
Jul 22, 2016 3:18 PM

May 2010
demonskul777 said:
Rekien said:

I said that it wasn't so horrible, considering people are giving the animation a score of 1. it's below average, but not a 1. I'd give it a 3 to 4 personally.

The fact that it's Berserk has caused many to give it the Bitter score of 1 lol.... who would have expected that one of the most beautiful manga would get one of the ugliest anime?
Jul 22, 2016 3:25 PM

Mar 2016
danieltortoisee said:

Which version have you seen? The film trilogy or the original 97 anime?

Both have flaws.

The original anime shows that Rickert broke his arm and was left behind, but cuts out the Skull Knight and everything after he bails camp. So, I'm assuming this, since you assumed he was probably eaten right there.

And the films, again he's not present and we see some of his scenes where he's in witness, but his arm isn't broken; begging of the question of why he wasn't there with them to begin with. (I hate these films, if you couldn't tell, for their horrendous lapses in logic like this).

Mezziaz said:
danieltortoisee said:
I could have sworn that Rickert had died in the Eclipse, but clearly I was wrong and he too somehow survived. I also don't know how Casca got away from Griffith, so I'm hoping we get some sort of explanation on that at some point.

Watch the third Golden Age Arc movie.

If this new series ever gets around to explaining or showing that properly it will probably be depicted worse than the movie anyways.

And no, do not EVER watch these movies.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 22, 2016 3:31 PM

Jul 2009
RealCW said:

Reading the manga to find out if of course preferred but he wants answers for his questions in animation form the third Golden age film is his best and only option.
Jul 22, 2016 3:34 PM

Mar 2016
Mezziaz said:
RealCW said:

Reading the manga to find out if of course preferred but he wants answers for his questions in animation form the third Golden age film is his best and only option.

I'd just recommend volumes 13 and 14 if it's just that part. There's no reason to ever watch the 4C films, as far as I'm concerned.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Jul 22, 2016 3:37 PM
Jun 2015
I wish the torturers had shown the rebels "Berserk: 2016".
Jul 22, 2016 3:41 PM

May 2010
RealCW said:
Mezziaz said:

I'd just recommend volumes 13 and 14 if it's just that part. There's no reason to ever watch the 4C films, as far as I'm concerned.

movies weren't as terrible as this 2016 anime...especially not the last one. Still improper adaptations nonetheless. I give the first and second movies 7.5/10 while I give the 3rd 8/10
YouniverSoulJul 22, 2016 3:48 PM
Jul 22, 2016 3:42 PM

Feb 2009
RealCW said:

Movies are actually pretty good, yes the story is very compressed but that what you get with the amount of time the movie adaptation can muster. And unlike this tv show someone actually cared and tried.
Jul 22, 2016 3:51 PM

May 2010
Comedian said:
RealCW said:

Movies are actually pretty good, yes the story is very compressed but that what you get with the amount of time the movie adaptation can muster. And unlike this tv show someone actually cared and tried.

yeah if I watch the movies without prior knowledge of the mangas, I would have given them better ratings. The 2016 anime is terrible under any and all circumstances lol
Jul 22, 2016 3:57 PM

Sep 2007
Y helo thar, Sawashiro Miyuki

Either this series is gradually getting better or my Stockholm syndrome is growing stronger
Jul 22, 2016 3:59 PM
Feb 2016
Very good episode. Keeps getting better. The animation is somewhat of an acquired taste though. So are the sfx.
Jul 22, 2016 4:14 PM

Mar 2016
YouniverSoul said:
Comedian said:

yeah if I watch the movies without prior knowledge of the mangas, I would have given them better ratings. The 2016 anime is terrible under any and all circumstances lol

If I watched the films, no joke, without prior knowledge, I would've thought Berserk is one of the most poorly written things I have ever seen in my life. Really.

I don't see how you couldn't notice the insane lack of logic and piss poor adapting of the story they really did.

Everything, only when it needs to appear, suddenly appears with literally no setup whatsoever. A few examples:

-The Skull Knight. Instead of appearing the same night as Guts' departure from the Hawks (ie, setting the Eclipse into motion), he appears right after Guts and Casca have sex... why? Because Charlotte talks about him immediately the next day. So, he had to appear right there, otherwise I'm convinced he wouldn't have appeared until the Eclipse.

-Rickert doesn't break his arm in the films... so... he's not at the Eclipse, why? Where was he? Never explained, but he's exactly where he is in the manga, because... because.

-The Snake Baron shadow is replaced by a giant Female Apostle walking through the woods. Wow, if she could turn gigantic, how did Guts kill her so easily? Or, going on movie-only appearances, why didn't she take that same size during the actual Eclipse?
Oh, never explained.

-Where was Guts during his year long absence? Good thing he just magically happened to appear to save Casca from Silat right when he did on a whim.

-Puck was moved into town and NOT killed anywhere from then to 2+ years when Guts inadvertently saves him at the very last second? Haha. That sure is convenient.

I could go on for hours, but those are just a few. Cared, my ass. The most untalented writers who can't even grasp how these little changes drastically alter all internal logic and make the story look like a friggin' mess of epic proportions.

I've seen other Studio 4C films, and it's blatant to me now, Studio 4C has no clue what a "setup" is when it comes to anything writing.
CrimsonCWJul 22, 2016 4:24 PM

Jul 22, 2016 4:25 PM

Feb 2009
RealCW said:
YouniverSoul said:

If I watched the films, no joke, without prior knowledge, I would've thought Berserk is one of the most poorly written things I have ever seen.

I don't see how you couldn't notice the insane lack of logic and piss poor adapting of the story they really did.

Everything, only when it needs to appear, suddenly appears with literally no setup whatsoever. A few examples:

-The Skull Knight. Instead of appearing the same night as Guts' departure from the Hawks (ie, setting the Eclipse into motion), he appears right after Guts and Casca have sex... why? Because Charlotte talks about him immediately the next day. So, he had to appear right there, otherwise I'm convinced he wouldn't have appeared until the Eclipse.

-Rickert doesn't break his arm in the films... so... he's not at the Eclipse, why? Where was he? Never explained, but he's exactly where he is in the manga, because... because.

-The Snake Baron shadow is replaced by a giant Female Apostle walking through the woods. Wow, if she could turn gigantic, how did Guts kill her so easily? Or, going on movie-only appearances, why didn't she take that same size during the actual Eclipse?
Oh, never explained.

-Where was Guts during his year long absence? Good thing he just magically happened to appear to save Casca from Silat right when he did on a whim.

I could go on for hours, but those are just a few. Cared, my ass. The most untalented writers who can't even grasp how these little changes drastically alter all internal logic and make the story look like a friggin' mess of epic proportions.

I've seen other Studio 4C films, and it's blatant to me now, Studio 4C has no clue what a "setup" is when it comes to writing.

Yet again movie length not TV series, we accept such lapses and jumps because it is a movie and doesn't require or can show all of it. Some of your complaints are just nitpicks though. What they left out was adequate. Movies aren't judged by adaptation source purism standpoint. Considering the amount of material they had they did a descent if not good job story wise.
ComedianJul 22, 2016 4:30 PM
Jul 22, 2016 4:48 PM

Jan 2010
I'm a hardcore Berserk fan and I'm enjoying the new tv series so far. I see it more as a fanservice than anything else. The real story is happening in the manga for 30 years.

While it's not very accurate and the graphics aren't that good, the core is still there and it's enough for me to find it enjoyable. I used to bitch about everything in comics, mangas or anime adaptations, but now I just watch it and see if I'm enjoying.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

989 by JosefStalinium »»
57 minutes ago

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

181 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:58 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.