Forum Settings
Forums

Make characters searchable with popular yet inaccurate spellings

New
Jul 18, 2016 9:25 AM
Mar 2013
So I were trying to search "Jotaro Kujo" with little to no success and I got the feeling that this would help people quite a bit when they search for characters.

I think that the title is pretty self-explanatory, but if you want me to be more specific: You know those extra Us that western releases and people tend to skip? Yeah, it would be great if you could make character names without those searchable, as probably most of the users here know them without those.

I am not saying that the title of the pages to the characters should change. I know enough Japanese to know why they are there.

Sorry if this have already been suggested, didn't really know what keywords I would use to see if this had been suggested before.
Jul 18, 2016 3:29 PM

Oct 2015
I agree that there should be like "redirects" for "common false spellings" and "common alternative spellings" - with a global userbase and so many differing transliteration systems.
I really like how wikipedia handles that : redirects for short titles or foreign language titles, and redirects for common spelling errors.

Also there are titles / characters that can not easily be typed on English language keyboards. For those there should also be "redirects" for "same-name-but-odd-letters-replaced-with-closest-everydayEnglish-equivalent"

example character : Nausicaä

Me (German keyboard, where we have an equivalent letter) just happily typing away : Nausicaä into the search field at the top right : found. Yay!
Someone on an English keyboard, not aware how to type those tréma 2-dots onto the a, typing Nausicaa into the search field at the top right : nothing found! (well, some Nakiami from Bounen no Xamdou)

OK, Nausicaä still can be found by searching for Nausica, omitting the critical last letter. But from searching in google, Kademlia, whatnot we are used to things being found when we replace odd foreign language letters with whatever is the closest equivalent in the English alphabet.

Also there is this other thing, wich is : the search invoked from "search characters" in the "edit my favourites" yields different (less) results than the search through the field at the top right.
Nausicaä is not found when I search for Nausicaä :
BannoBunka_snorkJul 18, 2016 3:44 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 19, 2016 2:27 AM

Dec 2015
This is interesting. Since technically only the Japanese characters are correct. All other things are different ways to write it with western language characters.

I looked for this char. On MAL:
http://myanimelist.net/character/4003/Joutarou_Kuujou

Some Wikia:
http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Jotaro_Kujo

Some people just write no extra u. Some use extra u. Some write ū or ō intead of ou or uu.

These writings/names should be treated as synonyms. One of them as main entry/title in MAL. The others as synonyms that can be shown and searched finding you the correct entry.

Personally I prefer the ū and ō most. Double uu or ou looks bad to the eye especialle if there are a lot of them in one name ... making it very long. Only simple o or u is omitting information.

More topics from this board

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

7 by Yacine2104 »»
1 hour ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.