Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 11, 2016 8:19 AM

Apr 2016
In MAL the popular series is the series with the most members. But this does not mean it is the most popular series it means its the most well know in the community. but popularity should actually be done as members/week or members/month to show which series is the most popular on the current moment. I think this because do you think that series such as steins gate is more popular than a series such as one punch man. It is true that it is more well know but in actual rate of members it is smaller the one punch man.

The changes:
-keep the "most popular "/"most popular " the same.
-add a new "hot "/"hot " but this will include the series with the most members per week or members per month and will be ranked accordingly

Why should you bother to make the change?
When come to the site they might want to know what / is currently the big thing right now and that would be reflected in the members/week or members/month. This might guide there decision to whether to watch/read it or not. Furthermore, people might want to find out how well a series is doing in the western community popularity wise of current time but not like the current system of all time.
Kenna_PyralisJul 11, 2016 8:40 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2016 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Or maybe they can just check the top airing.

Jul 11, 2016 8:33 AM

Apr 2016
KaiserNazrin said:
Or maybe they can just check the top airing.
Top airing tells you the highest rated airing anime not the rate of the members the anime/manga gets so that would serve no purpose if you are looking for the popularity rate of a series. Furthermore top airing only accounts for airing anime leaving out all other anime and all forms of manga so its really limit even if it did tell you the rate of popularity of a series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2016 8:40 AM

Nov 2011
tld;r "muh favorite show is not listed as being more popular than the top 5 series.
this is clearly wrong, we need to change this!!!"

no, the site is perfectly fine as is. maybe you don't agree with the rating/popularity, but that is life.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 11, 2016 8:42 AM

Jun 2014
Sounds like a pretty useless feature. If you want to know what's bakin' hot at the moment, check the forums. Too much work, not enough gain from it. Nobody would even notice or use it.

Jul 11, 2016 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
Omoshiroineko said:
Sounds like a pretty useless feature. If you want to know what's bakin' hot at the moment, check the forums. Too much work, not enough gain from it. Nobody would even notice or use it.

tbh i didn't even notice the new popularity thing until i saw this thread.
and as you said, it's probably not very helpful in the first place. i'd rather watch series i enjoy than watch series that other people do.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 11, 2016 9:35 AM

Oct 2014
I think this could be useful. In the UAS club there have been some arguments that popularity should be determined by current user activity rather than by total members. For example, Serial Experiments Lain has a lot of members but doesn't have too much activity while seasonal anime with few members have a lot of activity.
Jul 11, 2016 9:38 AM

Sep 2011
Kenna_Pyralis said:
I think this because do you think that series such as steins gate is more popular than a series such as one punch man. It is true that it is more well know but in actual rate of members it is smaller the one punch man.

What? Steins;gate is more well-known than one punch man, and it has MORE members than one punch man. The heck? Go look at the amount of people added for both.
Jul 11, 2016 10:03 AM

Apr 2016
Tyrel said:
Kenna_Pyralis said:
I think this because do you think that series such as steins gate is more popular than a series such as one punch man. It is true that it is more well know but in actual rate of members it is smaller the one punch man.

What? Steins;gate is more well-known than one punch man, and it has MORE members than one punch man. The heck? Go look at the amount of people added for both.
I don't understand what your saying steins; gate has 587,876 members while one punch man has 432,314 members so doesn't that prove your argument wrong?
Jul 11, 2016 10:05 AM

Sep 2011
Kenna_Pyralis said:
Tyrel said:

I don't understand what your saying steins; gate has 587,876 members while one punch man has 432,314 members so doesn't that prove your argument wrong?
What?

587k > 432k.

You basically said "Steins;gate has less members than One Punch man"

Your quote:

I'm not one to go after someone's English, but it's extremely hard to understand you here.

Jul 11, 2016 10:07 AM

Apr 2016
Tyrel said:
Kenna_Pyralis said:
What?

587k > 432k.

I meant that steins; gate has lower rate of members / week than one punch man not in actual number of members.
Jul 11, 2016 10:19 AM

Sep 2011
Kenna_Pyralis said:
Tyrel said:
What?

587k > 432k.

I meant that steins; gate has lower rate of members / week than one punch man not in actual number of members.
Okay, I didn't read properly. Either who, I still don't think it should be changed. I stand by my all time thing.
Jul 13, 2016 6:04 AM
Jul 2016
Maybe
Jul 13, 2016 9:44 AM

Oct 2014
did this new feg just create an acct. to bump a retarded thread?
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 13, 2016 7:53 PM

Mar 2014
This would be a cool addition. It could potentially work kind of like MangaUpdates' "Weekly" "Monthly" "3 Month" "6 Month" stuff.
Maybe instead of "hot", though, it could be named "most active", to stick with the "most" motif of the other categories, "Most Popular" and "Most Favorited".
::End of Transmission::

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
1 hour ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.