Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 8, 2016 7:16 PM

Aug 2013
I just watched the Fate series in the following order: Fate/zero, then Fate/stay night 2006, then Unimited Blade Works.
I enjoyed them all, but alot of people recommend NOT watching the DEEN anime. I thought it was decent and it added to the viewing experience of Unlimited Blade Works. Leaving it out wpuld take away the whole different route angle, no?

The reason I ask is because I want to recommend the series to a good friend and I am uncertain now.
Also, what do you think of my viewing order itself? Fate zero before UBW or after?
Jul 8, 2016 7:18 PM

Jan 2014
Personally I loved Fate 2006, and the interaction and bond between Saber and Shirou was just great <3. Didn't like UBW as much because it was more focused on Shirou and Rin

You even said you liked it, so it wasn't a mistake.
Jul 8, 2016 7:35 PM

Aug 2013
DoctorWasabi said:
Personally I loved Fate 2006, and the interaction and bond between Saber and Shirou was just great <3
I thought so too. Since I watched Fate/Zero first, I only knew Saber as a total Badass. So that made her scenes with Shiro more.. jaw-dropping, to say the least.
Jul 8, 2016 9:04 PM

Sep 2014
well if you enjoyed fate/stay night 2006 more power to you. at that point you didnt "technically" make any mistake since 06 is loosly following the first route of the VN. if you walked away from 2006 and UBW with a better experience then even more power to you. UBW is in fact written with the assumption that you've gone through the fate route which 06 follows minus some additions..
Jul 10, 2016 4:52 AM

Aug 2013
Maloghurst said:
well if you enjoyed fate/stay night 2006 more power to you. at that point you didnt "technically" make any mistake since 06 is loosly following the first route of the VN.
I read that the 2006 series tried to incorporate all three routes into one and in fact spoils the other two routes. Do you mean that?
Jul 10, 2016 8:39 PM

Sep 2014
puppetmazter said:
Maloghurst said:
well if you enjoyed fate/stay night 2006 more power to you. at that point you didnt "technically" make any mistake since 06 is loosly following the first route of the VN.
I read that the 2006 series tried to incorporate all three routes into one and in fact spoils the other two routes. Do you mean that?
yes it does, for example the entire caster conflict never happened in the fate route in fact she was killed almost as soon as she showed up. Sakura never had any involvement in the story
numerous of scenes that you saw in UBW were only actually UBW scenes. kuzuki never made a significant on screen appearance until UBW just to name a couple things.

well, did you at least get the characters ideals, and their resolution? shirou's more so pays off in UBW..but did you at least get whats going on? the character actions and interractions arent limited to a single route they carry over.
Jul 11, 2016 12:57 PM

Aug 2013
Maloghurst said:
well, did you at least get the characters ideals, and their resolution? shirou's more so pays off in UBW..but did you at least get whats going on? the character actions and interractions arent limited to a single route they carry over.

I’m not sure, but here is what I took away from the 2006 anime (please indulge me, as I fail to keep it any shorter)

Shirou is the only survivor of that incident in his childhood. Kiritsugu, who saved him, becomes his idol. Feeling thankful, yet guilty for being the only one saved, Shirou promises Kiritsugu to become a hero of justice and save everyone, without sacrificing anyone. An ideal Kirutsugi himself gave up on. He grows up being excessively helpful and selfless; putting everyone’s safety and wishes before his own. Shirous approach is obviously flawed, but easily shrugged off as a typical shounen-protagonist virtue and not really questioned, no matter how ridiculous (e.g. saving Saber from Berserker).

But then he confronts Saber about her wish to create an ideal past, saying that she should let go of her duties as a king and start living for herself. He thinks that she has already fulfilled her vows and doesn’t owe her people anything, but owes it to herself to be happy. Fighting is a burden, therefore she should stop. Saber calls him out on that, basically saying that Shirou is a hypocrite, because he himself doesn’t value his own life and therefor shouldn’t lecture her.

Saber realizes that her wish was misguided. She is actually proud of her accomplishments in life and has no regrets as a king, therefore shouldn’t have sought after changing history. Since her actions were beyond reproach, she accepted the downfall of Briton as out of her reach.
What’s left is a wish she always kept hidden in her heart, maybe the true ideal of herself. It appears to be a happy life as a girl, instead of being an ironclad knight. Her love for Shirou made her acknowledge this dream, which is why she has no use for the Holy Grail anymore (hence, he is the scabbard to her sword; Avalon/Utopia = their love maybe?). So maybe she finally reaches her own ideal, even if it’s just in a fleeting dream.

Shirou goes on to put his life on the line in a battle against Kotomine, this time without the protection of the scabbard (the high point of his recklessness). He saves everyone and becomes the ideal, the hero of justice, by defeating his father’s adversary. With his last command spell, he orders Saber to destroy the Grail. Instead of trying to hold on to her, allows her to move on on her own terms (the peak of his selflessness).
puppetmazterJul 11, 2016 1:07 PM
Jul 12, 2016 8:00 PM

Sep 2014
puppetmazter said:
Maloghurst said:

I’m not sure, but here is what I took away from the 2006 anime (please indulge me, as I fail to keep it any shorter)

Shirou is the only survivor of that incident in his childhood. Kiritsugu, who saved him, becomes his idol. Feeling thankful, yet guilty for being the only one saved, Shirou promises Kiritsugu to become a hero of justice and save everyone, without sacrificing anyone. An ideal Kirutsugi himself gave up on. He grows up being excessively helpful and selfless; putting everyone’s safety and wishes before his own. Shirous approach is obviously flawed, but easily shrugged off as a typical shounen-protagonist virtue and not really questioned, no matter how ridiculous (e.g. saving Saber from Berserker).

But then he confronts Saber about her wish to create an ideal past, saying that she should let go of her duties as a king and start living for herself. He thinks that she has already fulfilled her vows and doesn’t owe her people anything, but owes it to herself to be happy. Fighting is a burden, therefore she should stop. Saber calls him out on that, basically saying that Shirou is a hypocrite, because he himself doesn’t value his own life and therefor shouldn’t lecture her.

Saber realizes that her wish was misguided. She is actually proud of her accomplishments in life and has no regrets as a king, therefore shouldn’t have sought after changing history. Since her actions were beyond reproach, she accepted the downfall of Briton as out of her reach.
What’s left is a wish she always kept hidden in her heart, maybe the true ideal of herself. It appears to be a happy life as a girl, instead of being an ironclad knight. Her love for Shirou made her acknowledge this dream, which is why she has no use for the Holy Grail anymore (hence, he is the scabbard to her sword; Avalon/Utopia = their love maybe?). So maybe she finally reaches her own ideal, even if it’s just in a fleeting dream.

Shirou goes on to put his life on the line in a battle against Kotomine, this time without the protection of the scabbard (the high point of his recklessness). He saves everyone and becomes the ideal, the hero of justice, by defeating his father’s adversary. With his last command spell, he orders Saber to destroy the Grail. Instead of trying to hold on to her, allows her to move on on her own terms (the peak of his selflessness).
sounds about right.
Jul 13, 2016 6:59 AM

Aug 2013
Maloghurst said:
sounds about right.

Ok, Im glad. Because this faq (https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/seriesfaq-fate) says that Shirou was not portrayed correctly. But as long as its essentially the same char from the novels, Im good.

Thanks alot!
Jul 13, 2016 11:12 AM

Sep 2014
puppetmazter said:
Maloghurst said:
sounds about right.

Ok, Im glad. Because this faq (https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/seriesfaq-fate) says that Shirou was not portrayed correctly. But as long as its essentially the same char from the novels, Im good.

Thanks alot!
they didnt really. i dont particularly feel like going into it because it's a headache and a half. you just gotta remember at the begining his "selflessness" is also a form of selfishness. he feels that becoming a "superhero" for him is the only form of fulfillment that he can possibly gain in life.
Jul 23, 2016 2:08 PM

Jul 2016
Watching this anime was a mistake too
Jul 24, 2016 5:19 AM

Aug 2013
Omni_slash95 said:

Do you care to explain that opinion?
Jul 24, 2016 5:24 AM

May 2012
I personally did enjoy F/sn 2006

Some haters hate it just because it was not 100% faithful to the source material. But does that matter specially for anime only watcher ?! Not everyone cares about having 100% faithful adaptation

puppetmazter said:
I just watched the Fate series in the following order: Fate/zero, then Fate/stay night 2006, then Unimited Blade Works.
I enjoyed them all, but alot of people recommend NOT watching the DEEN anime. I thought it was decent and it added to the viewing experience of Unlimited Blade Works. Leaving it out wpuld take away the whole different route angle, no?

I watched them in this order too. If you enjoyed the anime then how it is a mistake that you watched it ?!
Jul 24, 2016 6:25 AM

Aug 2013
thepath said:
I watched them in this order too. If you enjoyed the anime then how it is a mistake that you watched it ?!

Good point, I DID enjoy it.
I guess its because I value the source material. Not because of the artistic integrity per se. But if I get invested in an adaptation, I cant help but sometimes doublecheck the original. Its conveniently easy with mangas, with visual novels not.
And although its not uncommon for anime and manga to vary from each other, I somehow consider the latter as canon. Hey, its the original.
Also, animes are often shortened versions, I sometimes want to read how a certain scene plays out. If its an anime filler, I tend to neglect it.

Multiply this by 3 for each different route and you have confusion. Whats a spoiler? Whts a filler? Whats from a different route? Whats wrong depiction?
Aug 3, 2016 7:00 AM

Jul 2016
puppetmazter said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Do you care to explain that opinion?

It sucked ass compared to F/Z for me.
Aug 4, 2016 11:46 AM

Jul 2014
I personally did enjoy it
Aug 9, 2016 3:29 AM

Feb 2014
puppetmazter said:

The reason I ask is because I want to recommend the series to a good friend and I am uncertain now.
Also, what do you think of my viewing order itself? Fate zero before UBW or after?

the 2006 is somehow better than UBW 2015 for me, but still no where near F/Z or KnK's level of enjoyment. Really looking foward to heaven's feel.
spiwarAug 9, 2016 3:33 AM
"Just because I’ve gotten weaker, it doesn’t mean that you got stronger, right?" - Accelerator
Aug 9, 2016 3:29 PM

May 2012
To be honest, either way is fine. But watching F/Z first would actually makes your expectation of F/SN be different and actually spoils a bit of the content of F/SN routes (Heaven's Feel especially). I watched the 2006 version first and then F/Z, before tried UBW movie in 2010 and UBW cours in 2014/2015, this actually kinda enhanced the experience of watching F/Z as you'll be curious about Kirei and Kiritsugu more after how they were mysteriously mentioned in a flashback in 2006 F/SN. And watching F/Z after knowing all 3 routes of F/SN would make the experience much better when watching F/Z last. So if your friend doesn't care about the long wait for the Heaven's Feel movie trilogy, then watch those along with 2006 (but with caution like other people said, or even read the VN for that route just to be safe and not spoiling any UBW content) and watching UBW 2014/2015 cours (i.e. Fate route loosely adapted 2006 version or read that route in VN ----> UBW 2014/2015 ----> Heaven's Feel trilogy in this order before viewing F/Z). But yeah, it's a pity that 2006 version had mixed with the other 2 routes and had butchered slightly some of the characters (most people complain about Shirou). It could be a good Fate route adaptation, and I loved the OSTs that Kenji Kawai had composed, it fits the route perfectly.
chaosflame5Aug 9, 2016 3:32 PM
Aug 9, 2016 9:40 PM

Aug 2013
chaosflame5 said:
To be honest, either way is fine. But watching F/Z first would actually makes your expectation of F/SN be different and actually spoils a bit of the content of F/SN routes (Heaven's Feel especially). I watched the 2006 version first and then F/Z, before tried UBW movie in 2010 and UBW cours in 2014/2015, this actually kinda enhanced the experience of watching F/Z as you'll be curious about Kirei and Kiritsugu more after how they were mysteriously mentioned in a flashback in 2006 F/SN. And watching F/Z after knowing all 3 routes of F/SN would make the experience much better when watching F/Z last. So if your friend doesn't care about the long wait for the Heaven's Feel movie trilogy, then watch those along with 2006 (but with caution like other people said, or even read the VN for that route just to be safe and not spoiling any UBW content) and watching UBW 2014/2015 cours (i.e. Fate route loosely adapted 2006 version or read that route in VN ----> UBW 2014/2015 ----> Heaven's Feel trilogy in this order before viewing F/Z). But yeah, it's a pity that 2006 version had mixed with the other 2 routes and had butchered slightly some of the characters (most people complain about Shirou). It could be a good Fate route adaptation, and I loved the OSTs that Kenji Kawai had composed, it fits the route perfectly.

Thanks, that was very helpful. I actually told him to read the VN, or in case he has no interest, at least not to start with F/Z.

I inted to read the VN myself, before the movies come out. Can I start with Heavens Feel, or would you recommend reading the other two routes before that?
Aug 10, 2016 2:44 AM

May 2012
puppetmazter said:
Thanks, that was very helpful. I actually told him to read the VN, or in case he has no interest, at least not to start with F/Z.

I inted to read the VN myself, before the movies come out. Can I start with Heavens Feel, or would you recommend reading the other two routes before that?
Even though you've seen the 2006 version and UBW cours, I still suggest you to read the VN for those routes first before diving into Heaven's Feel, as 2006 wasn't a faithful adaptation of Fate route as you know and UBW cours still lacked a bit of stuff. I need to catch up with it myself, I only started Fate route. The original order for the PC version (which has a few scenes of hentai per route as it was an eroge VN) is Fate route ---> UBW ---> Heaven's Feel. By that way you'll know two-thirds of the content before go into HF route which would be a great help. Same goes for the Réalta Nua version released for PS2 and PS Vita (which have alternative scenes instead of the hentai scenes). If you are not going to buy the actual version from Japan and patch the unofficial English patch from Mirror Moon, then you can download one from Nyaa, one with 6GB. Then patch it with the 1GB-ish patch from Beasts Lair. BL has the patch that can allow you to have the Réalta Nua version but can toggle between the original PC version OSTs and remixed OSTs for RN version. As well as switch between hentai scenes and alternative scenes. And you also get all 5 opening themes (1 from PC version, one from PS2 version and 3 from PS Vita version).
Aug 10, 2016 4:30 PM

Aug 2013
chaosflame5 said:
puppetmazter said:

Even though you've seen the 2006 version and UBW cours, I still suggest you to read the VN for those routes first before diving into Heaven's Feel, as 2006 wasn't a faithful adaptation of Fate route as you know and UBW cours still lacked a bit of stuff. I need to catch up with it myself, I only started Fate route. The original order for the PC version (which has a few scenes of hentai per route as it was an eroge VN) is Fate route ---> UBW ---> Heaven's Feel. By that way you'll know two-thirds of the content before go into HF route which would be a great help. Same goes for the Réalta Nua version released for PS2 and PS Vita (which have alternative scenes instead of the hentai scenes). If you are not going to buy the actual version from Japan and patch the unofficial English patch from Mirror Moon, then you can download one from Nyaa, one with 6GB. Then patch it with the 1GB-ish patch from Beasts Lair. BL has the patch that can allow you to have the Réalta Nua version but can toggle between the original PC version OSTs and remixed OSTs for RN version. As well as switch between hentai scenes and alternative scenes. And you also get all 5 opening themes (1 from PC version, one from PS2 version and 3 from PS Vita version).

Much appreciated. Then I will start with the Fate route. Ill go with the Eroge version. Might as well go all-out here.
Aug 10, 2016 4:58 PM

May 2012
puppetmazter said:
Much appreciated. Then I will start with the Fate route. Ill go with the Eroge version. Might as well go all-out here.
Yeah, since the hentai parts actually form part of the lore, while the non-hentai alt scenes (UBW especially as far as I know) actually broke the lore from what I've heard. Enjoy the VN :)
Aug 14, 2016 10:07 AM

Jul 2014
Purely my opinion but I thought it was good.
Sep 16, 2016 10:19 AM

Jan 2013
Fate/Stay Night 2006 sucked. It was not the worst, but a real shitstain on the fame of the series.

Unlimited Blade Works fixed the situation (as far as I can tell).
Feb 8, 2017 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
i think watching FSN 2006 was a big mistake for me(I watched FZ after) as Saber had more original character on FSN 2006 than UBW, which is why I can't seem to enjoy FSN:UBW.
removed-userFeb 9, 2017 3:30 PM
Feb 8, 2017 11:24 PM

Mar 2014
No, if it wasn't for Deen, Ufo wouldn't have gotten their hands on it.

Plus it's actually a decent anime in itself.
Feb 26, 2017 1:20 PM

Mar 2009
I liked it. And I read VN before. But Fate route was awful for me so I didn't mind all those changes.
3 setps to become Masochist:
1. Read source material
2. Watch anime adaptation
3. Suffer
Bonus Step: Tell everyone that anime is crap becouse Manga/Novel is better (duh..)

How to find the worst trash anime ever, so bad that people should be ashamed for even knowing this trash exist:
1. Check your favorite anime
2. Enjoy your shit taste pleb
Works everytime for everyone.
Mar 1, 2017 10:29 AM

Jul 2013
Personally, I found the Fate route horrible, and thank god the only one, in the VN so my opinion might be biased but the anime is still awful to me.
Jun 21, 2017 3:39 PM

Mar 2016
The best fate was definitely Fate/Zero and is followed by Fate/Stay Night...
Fate/Stay Night UBW is just a bad show! It completely destroys every good characters for the sake of Emiya (especially Gilgamesh!!! Tell me...

If there's a mistake in watch any Fate is this one! The only good thing are the OP's!
azertz99Jun 22, 2017 1:55 PM
Aug 5, 2017 9:00 AM

Jun 2016
I wouldn't say it was a mistake, it was the first thing in the Fate/ series that I watched and it actually made Fate/Zero better for me.
Aug 5, 2017 10:28 AM

Aug 2014
azertyY said:
The best fate was definitely Fate/Zero and is followed by Fate/Stay Night...
Fate/Stay Night UBW is just a bad show! It completely destroys every good characters for the sake of Emiya (especially Gilgamesh!!! Tell me...

If there's a mistake in watch any Fate is this one! The only good thing are the OP's!

Idk mate this sounds more like butthurt your fav lost than anything to do with characterisation, which would actually be what destroying the character means

Not that Gil has any real character in either F/Z or SN, though; only CCC and SF
Aug 5, 2017 10:46 AM

Mar 2016
Insertanamehere said:
Idk mate this sounds more like butthurt your fav lost than anything to do with characterisation, which would actually be what destroying the character means

Not that Gil has any real character in either F/Z or SN, though; only CCC and SF
I like Gilgamesh but is not even one of my fav characters...
Destroying a character for me is make him looks like a useless or ridiculous character in a sequel or in this case, another route. Saber, for exemple, what a hell was that? The all mighty Saber who was supposed to be the strongest in the Holy War (at least they say that the Saber class is sopposed to be the strongest) barely gets screen time and has no real fight, just goes swinging her sword through the field... -.-
I got mad about Gil too because he really is supposed to be the strongest among the strongest and Emiya was like "I just got this power... I'm getting used to it... I can finally go along with his moves..."... Riiiiiiiight... That plot armour... -.-
Aug 5, 2017 11:05 AM

Aug 2014
azertyY said:
Insertanamehere said:

I like Gilgamesh but is not even one of my fav characters...
Destroying a character for me is make him looks like a useless or ridiculous character in a sequel or in this case, another route. Saber, for exemple, what a hell was that? The all mighty Saber who was supposed to be the strongest in the Holy War (at least they say that the Saber class is sopposed to be the strongest) barely gets screen time and has no real fight, just goes swinging her sword through the field... -.-
I got mad about Gil too because he really is supposed to be the strongest among the strongest and Emiya was like "I just got this power... I'm getting used to it... I can finally go along with his moves..."... Riiiiiiiight... That plot armour... -.-

Saber is pretty useless is UBW, I agree, but her story was in the Fate route of the VN which Ufotable chose not to adapt so that's on them
And she was not the strongest in either war she was in, they just said the class is generally the strongest (which turned out as an irrelevant point in bother Zero and SN)

Yeah like Kiritsugu pulled out his never seen or hinted at before power and used it to beat Kayneth. Well, not actually like that, ofc, since UBW was seen prior to the Gil fight.
Jan 14, 2018 4:36 PM

Jun 2014
I'd love to see an Ufotable TV series adaption of the Fate route, much like I've enjoyed the Ufotable version of the UBW route infinitely more than the 2010 DEEN movie (although one's a 105-minute film and one's a 2-season series, so it's not exactly a parallel comparison).

That said, I still enjoyed the '06 DEEN take on the Fate route enough. I'm glad I watched it, I guess I should say. I'm glad to have that element of the FSN universe out there, even if it wasn't done as well as it could be.
May 18, 2019 11:46 PM

Sep 2012
I personally loved it, you liked it, so it cant be a mistake lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1448 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1282 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 16, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.