Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2016 1:36 PM
Apr 2015
I think the voice actors were fairly good but all I can say if you haven't read the manga It will be very confusing
Jul 4, 2016 1:41 PM

Mar 2013
Oh god, this was so bad... Everything felt rushed as all hell and the character designs are painful. What the actual fuck did they do to Miranda?
Jul 4, 2016 1:42 PM

Mar 2008
LiadainRiley said:
Geez, stop your whining people. Obviously it's not gonna look the same when all the staff is different. The new character design takes some time getting used to indeed. Personally, I'm simply happy just to get a new adaptation after so many years. I rewatched the first series a few weeks ago, it's still fresh in my memory, and in all honesty I think they did a damn good job casting the voice actors. And it really shows how much the voice actors worked to get into their roles and to make the characters sound recognisable. Especially when you consider that most of them are from a new generation of seiyū.

Well you would be wrong. If you don't like the whining, too bad. It's going to happen for most of the series. Better buckle in.

It's downright silly to decide not to judge the new adaptation because we got a new adaptation. Not caring about quality is how you get garbage sequels that get worse over time.

They did a god awful job with the voice work. There isn't a single character even going to minor characters that are as good or better than the original cast. Even Johnny doesn't sound as good.

It's a pretty sorry swap. I haven't been this thrown off watching an episode due to voice actor swaps since Seitokai no Ichizon S2. It's like they tried to replace the cast with as cheap a budget as possible.

Will survive. It's going to make the series more forgettable, but will certainly survive. The visual changes are not a big deal. And at least the story is pushing forward at a good pace. Will see how the rest of the series turns out.
Jul 4, 2016 1:44 PM

Jul 2015
I don't know the reasons as to why they changed seiyuu tbh. All of the originals are active.
Jul 4, 2016 1:45 PM
Mar 2013
not a fan of the new voice actors also i don't really felt confident in this episode
Jul 4, 2016 1:45 PM

Dec 2007
After a few years of waiting, Hallow wasn't too bad, had to get high to forget the fact is a short teir but with an opening like that there is probably hope for another season. Only problem I have is Miranda's hair color change, erks me a bit since I recently finished re-watching the first series, but not to bad, I mean not such a big change compared to berserk 2016's cgi... other than that I got no complaints at all, I mean I'm lucky they decided to pick up the series and end it before my lifetime ends.

Jul 4, 2016 1:46 PM

Jul 2012
+ for the comments complaining about voices, feels so weird ... And the bright colors kinda ruined the dark atmosphere. And what happened to Lenalee's chatacter design ...
Despite all those major changes i think it was still a pretty good return, i think i'll get used to the voices (i hope so). The pacing is pretty good, let's see how it goes next.
Jul 4, 2016 1:49 PM

Jan 2008
Their noses are so pointy. Regardless, I'm okay with the voices, I'm sure I'll grow to like them.
Jan 2016
While I think the new voices on their own aren't that bad I do miss the old ones. Also, how that different voices fit together is also weird as I feel some characters should have deeper or lighter voices than others and they just don't even if the voices themselves doesn't fit that bad.

Then there's the fact that I don't like that they've changed things around. I hope they won't rush through the Phantom Thief G arc to get to Alma.

Aug 2014
They skipped zombie arc, i don't really mind though.
After watching it, i realize that i really prefer the original VAs..
They changed Miranda's look too..
Need to get used to them.
HerrschaftJul 4, 2016 1:55 PM
Jul 4, 2016 1:59 PM

Mar 2014
I love it...so happy my favorite series is finally back. And they're even using the old music!
Jul 4, 2016 2:04 PM

Mar 2014
Do I need to watch the original to watch this?
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 4, 2016 2:06 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
fck was that. WAT WAS DAT....

LET ME COMPLAIN FIRST, then i will write good things.

1. Voice actors - okay.. I liked old cast a lot more, BUT... I think I can adapt to the new voices quite fast a.k.a they weren't half bad. - tho still.. will take time to adapt.. as I really...REALLY liked old voices more. Especially Allen and Lenalee.

2. ART - ART - ART - Now.. this is the part I'm really worried of right now..... old anime had that depressing, dark, depth to it, which made it what I truly love about gray-man... THIS SEASON.. tho.. it has very colorful, flat (generic persay) feel to it... which made it feel more of a traditional battle shounen or modern traditional LN adaption.. (traditional - my good word for "generic") . ANYHOW... I'm really worried about art style T_T ....

3. MISC STUFF - .... don't have much to say expect Lenalee character design. She used to be cute, innocent cheeky little brat. I really loved her.like really.... she was truly adorable. In this season she has this "generic" cute look and voice to her.. which simply reminds me of some random doujinshi .. aka.. she became more of a "fap" material than this adorable cheeky innocence she used to have. So yeah.. old Lenalee.. I absolutely love..this one.. she doesn't feel right.

OH AND. MIRANDA... the fck is that... that is not Miranda.

I'll BE honest. While I was watching ep1, I was like "yay,... more gray-man" I had hype feel. But at the same time all those changes... almost left me on a verge of crying. Basically I had emotional rollercoaster between hype, nostalgia, sadness and confusion.

So yeah, voice actors... is just hard to get used.. but can adapt.
But artstyle feels way too generic / flat / colorful ... I hope they will adjust it a bit on more "serious" moments and so.. to make it more dark/deep/depressive as it used to be in first season.

-------------

THE GOOD THINGS...

It's more gray-man.. that alone is happy thing. It didn't feel rushed nor dragged. So that felt right... characters were mostly acceptable and enjoyable. Voice actors were mostly okay, yet some character new voices are hard to adapt for me.

Music was good, opening/ed was okay. Animation was good, but art..well read above.

I loved old season, a lot. Watched 3-4 times it. I even read manga (and I really barely read anything, as I'm not fond of reading) and that is saying something. (even read the skipped arc b4 watching this). And I will surely re-watch again gray-man at some point. (probably when this season blu-ray is out). Oh and my first bought anime was gray-man DVD first 13 eps.

THE FINAL POINT.

-.- Artstyle.. please... don't fck this up. plz... ;_; .... T_T

oh and fck that cliffhanger.

----
Jul 4, 2016 2:07 PM

Jun 2014
Unfortunate that nearly the whole cast has different voice actors due to the large time gap. But that aside, wtf did they do to the character designs? Lenalee's hair regrowing doesnt look anything like her and its green now; and the voice doesnt match; the only way i knew it was her was the obvious boots. Mirandas hair color changed too. And just telling from the OP, it looks like ol Millenie has lost a little weight.

The flashback with Mana is completely different from what we've ever seen before

final scene- wtf no one can beat the shit out of Marian that easily

Looking at ep2 preview, it looks like theres already a level 4 akuma on the way
Jul 4, 2016 2:08 PM

May 2010
So-Intense said:

I would recommend you do if you fully want to understand the story.
Jul 4, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2014
I loved everything about this episode. It had a good pacing, since they are adapting only 1 arc, they did really well. The OP and ED were awesome. The animation quality marvelous. I also like the seiyuus.
Jul 4, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2009
Wrsty said:
I don't know the reasons as to why they changed seiyuu tbh. All of the originals are active.

yeah only bookmans seiyuu died as much as i know
Jul 4, 2016 2:12 PM

Aug 2014
So-Intense said:
If you read the manga, no. If you didn't, yes! This is a sequel to the 1st season, you really can't go around watching this without that knowledge, since it'll likely confuse you alot.

@OT
Damn pretty great 1st ep. RiP Marian tho.
Jul 4, 2016 2:12 PM

Sep 2011
straggy said:
Oh god, this was so bad... Everything felt rushed as all hell and the character designs are painful. What the actual fuck did they do to Miranda?
Nothing was even rushed... Did you even read the manga? It was literally the same pacing except minus a few things here and there.
Jul 4, 2016 2:13 PM
Apr 2016
The animation was quite good, and the characters ,except from Miranda who is a completely different person... I want the old voice of Kanda because i think it suited him better. Thanks though the kept the old soundtracks
Jul 4, 2016 2:13 PM
Mar 2015
Can someone let me know if I should watch the original series before I watch this? Is it a direct sequel?
Jul 4, 2016 2:15 PM
Nov 2015
The episode was pretty good but not gonna lie, its been almost 10 years since I've watched the first season and I had to wiki so much since I've completely forgot the who series except the characters
Jul 4, 2016 2:16 PM

May 2012
I like how fans finally get what they wanted but all they do is being disappointed and ungrateful.
What a nice fan base.
beep
Jul 4, 2016 2:20 PM

Jan 2008
Ziafung said:
I like how fans finally get what they wanted but all they do is being disappointed and ungrateful.
What a nice fan base.

It's more rather just people dislike change. I mean it'd be no different if the current character design and voice actors were the old ones and the old ones became the new ones. We'd still get the same kind of complaints.
Jul 4, 2016 2:25 PM
Sep 2009
So-Intense said:

Yes, otherwise you'll be confused as hell and won't really care for any of the characters or their connections.

Original does have lots of fillers so I guess you could skip some if you are in a rush.

m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
Unfortunate that nearly the whole cast has different voice actors due to the large time gap. But that aside, wtf did they do to the character designs? Lenalee's hair regrowing doesnt look anything like her and its green now; and the voice doesnt match; the only way i knew it was her was the obvious boots. Mirandas hair color changed too. And just telling from the OP, it looks like ol Millenie has lost a little weight.

The flashback with Mana is completely different from what we've ever seen before

final scene- wtf no one can beat the shit out of Marian that easily

Looking at ep2 preview, it looks like theres already a level 4 akuma on the way

I'm assuming you never read the manga. This sequel starts much later than where anime originally left off. Actually you could see time skip right at the end of last episode.

Months have passed, Lenalee's hair is growing back. That's how she looks in manga now. Tyki has long hair too.

And yes, that's how Cross died in manga too. It's not anime original material.

In all honesty out of all changes, Lenalee doesn't seem any different to me both look and voice wise. She is actually the closest to original version.

Others however... Lavi sounds like a boy. Allen lost his voice softness/kindness. Kanda... well I can live with that but I loved his old seiyu. Lenalee's brother does not sound childish any more. Very serious tone for someone who is so comical.

Kuro... man where do I start... while I love his new voice. Far better than original, it just does not seem to fit. He sounds extremely arrogant and self confident, like Kanda. That's not the shy Kuro I know. Actually it might have worked for Kanda better.

Colours are indeed very generic and cheap looking. and those noses...

Oh well... will take forever to get used to voices. And I'm sad that they skipped so much =(

But not as horrid as I feared. I can live with this for now.
kitten320Jul 4, 2016 2:37 PM
Jul 4, 2016 2:26 PM

Oct 2014
No problem for me story or pacing wise but..I really didn't like the voices..kanda was fine but lavi lenalee and allen sounded so high pitched..not too fond of the artstyle either and the colors..maybe a bit too colorful now? D grayman always had a greyish more gloomy tone to it in my head..

But yeah my main gripe is the voices..too pitchy but still d gray man so I'm watching~ oh really liked the op too and osts

JaneMoe said:
Can someone let me know if I should watch the original series before I watch this? Is it a direct sequel?

It's a direct sequel, read the manga if you want to catch up since reading is quicker and you get the full story..well you could watch the anime if you're not in a hurry for hallow there's fillers but they're well done fillers imo I wouldn't skip them

If you don't like Kaneki there's a 90 percent chance you didn't read the manga.
Read it now.
Just do it.
Don't question it mongrel.

Rating System l Anime List l Manga List

My manga list is a more accurate representation of my preferences
Cease your thievery of my wine.
Jul 4, 2016 2:37 PM
Feb 2016
Absolutely amazed to see this. Loved the first episode.

But a lot of things surprised me, didn't like honestly but it doesn't bother me.

Crowley is sasuke now...
Mirandas character was a bit messed up...
Some characters don't give me the sensation of the character.. Allens voice actor had it

voices were different for every character, but I gotta admit I loved bookmans voice ( Panda) Jiraya vibes ~

Despite the changes I loved the animation. It's different and colorful but yea it feels "dragged" or... don't know how to explain it but it's the frames... frames...
Jul 4, 2016 2:38 PM

Apr 2016
I never join in on these discussions but man.. re-watching the first series was almost a mistake before this came out haha.
It is directly in my mind how different the seiyuu are now.. Allen, Kanda, and Lenalee aren't too much different.. they're okay to me. Cross was also fine.

Crowley- Sasuke. Are you kidding me? No.

Lavi I just.. he was one of my favorite characters, and I can sort of understand the voice they're trying to give him, given his character type but.. it just doesn't work. Lavi sounds younger than Allen despite being older.

Miranda also bothered me.. even though she was acting like herself she didn't sound as nervous-wreck style as she is. And she looks completely different what the hell.
^On this note, Lenalee looked that way at the end of the first anime for those who seem to have forgot, and her hair was always green.
Road's hair was definitely closer to blue though, not purple.. but whatever.

Other color changes.. why is Kanda's energy green instead of blue and why is Allen's yellow instead of green? Did the people who made it now even see the first one?

So very much change to get used to, aside from certain voices that will -never- click. I also agree that the brighter colors take away from the dark setting that is D. Gray-man. However actually showing the enemies getting sliced up? That's a plus.

I do find a lot of good in this series coming back though despite all that up there.^
I never got around to reading the manga so I was excited to see this coming soon, so all those details about Allen were freaking mind blowing haha.
Sleep scene was cute. I'm genuinely confused about Cross though.. after all the mysteriousness and OP built up around him in the first series, who in the world was capable of what left that cliffhanger?
"I reserve my right to feel uncomfortable, reserve my right to be afraid,
I make mistakes and I am humbled every step of the way,
I want to be a better person, I wanna know the master plan,
Cast your stones, cast your judgment. You don't make me who I am."
Jul 4, 2016 2:42 PM

Dec 2009
OH MY GOD ITS BEEN YEARS AND ITS FINALLY OUT AND I JUST WATCHED IT AND .. AND.. AND..!!
I'm mighty confused, I think I'll have to rewatch the old series or something xD

I'm really happy with Allen's voice, I loved the previous seiyuu as well but Ayumu's voice fits him just fine. (I actually like it more 'cause it has the boyish undertone to it now, his previous voice was cute but it was more feminine)

Oh gosh but why Lavi... WHY LAVI... Why Hanae for Lavi... Someone.. Tell me... -sobs wildly- ...I'm sure I'll get used to it though D:

Anyway, can't wait to watch the next episode :"D HOOOH~! MAY THE FANDOM BE REVIVED AGAIN~~~~~! -sparkling lights-
Jul 4, 2016 2:43 PM

Apr 2009
Well, new voices take some getting used to...
Lenalee sounds like a typical anime school girl, which is disappointing.
Lavi's seiyuu kind of tries too hard.

Opening and ending songs are ok, but not my favourites.

Overall i liked the episode. I didn't read manga, so i don't know how good it as a manga interpretation, but anyway I i enjoyed it. It's not mind-blowing, but still promising!
Jul 4, 2016 2:44 PM

May 2012
Paul said:
Ziafung said:
What a nice fan base.

It's more rather just people dislike change. I mean it'd be no different if the current character design and voice actors were the old ones and the old ones became the new ones. We'd still get the same kind of complaints.

First, I was being sarcastic. Second, I understand that many people are very disappointed and sad.
That said, I do think that people should adapt. If they can't, then don't watch, it's easy as that. I too think that many voice changes were weird and that the character design is different but that doesn't make things bad automatically. I was just trying to say that they should appreciate what they get more and don't act spoiled and childish.
beep
Jul 4, 2016 2:44 PM

Oct 2015
Its really sad that they used different VA for it just doesnt feel rights about the characters Miranda looks like a totally different person lol and Lenalee hair is just too bright. Idk i think the 1st season was allot more darker and it fitted this anime really good but now this 2nd season its like the whole thing is more bright.
Really wish they would have kept previous VA and character designs and would be already much better but well guess ya cant expect too much from a 13ep anime dont think they plan to do any more then that...
Jul 4, 2016 2:45 PM

Nov 2014
Pfft what happened? The first series was beautifully animated and now this pointy nose lazy stuff replaces it? Was it animated by the same house as Dragonlance?

For having only 13 episodes that was a very slow wasted first episode.

Colouring changes make it hard to take this seriously.

Think this will be a waste and a flop.
Jul 4, 2016 2:47 PM

May 2012
Like others said, Lenalee, Cross', and Lavi's voiced are too high pitched, though everyone else sounded fine surprisingly, or close to how I remembered them sounding in the first anime. The animation didn't really seem all to up to par either

I was busy at the time but as soon as I saw the episode for D.Gray-man up, I dropped everything and sat down to watch it lol

Gotta say though, the OP spoiled some things of what's to come.

Other than those two things a few others, the adaptation seems pretty good so far.

Jul 4, 2016 2:47 PM

Aug 2014
Honestly, the art is a lot newer and crisper, which kinda makes me struggle to recognize characters. The hardest one to recognize was Lenalee. (BTW, was Mana shown as a clown in the original prequel?)

Jul 4, 2016 2:54 PM

Apr 2016
TheExplorer said:
Honestly, the art is a lot newer and crisper, which kinda makes me struggle to recognize characters. The hardest one to recognize was Lenalee. (BTW, was Mana shown as a clown in the original prequel?)

It was told that he was a traveling clown, but they never showed his face. That was a serious "owo?" for me haha.
"I reserve my right to feel uncomfortable, reserve my right to be afraid,
I make mistakes and I am humbled every step of the way,
I want to be a better person, I wanna know the master plan,
Cast your stones, cast your judgment. You don't make me who I am."
Jul 4, 2016 2:54 PM

Oct 2014
Olem said:

Gotta say though, the OP spoiled some things of what's to come.

This is kind of the reason why I just listen to the song if it's an anime I haven't read the source material of..I read dgrayman so it's fine for me in this case but op's tend to be full of spoilers lately..like showing important events or characters you haven't met yet or think wouldn't be on your side Y-Y

@topic again
I had to desaturate my tv a bit to make it feel right..and idk if it's my tv but the skin seems to have a yellow tint..my laptop doesn't have it but my tv is usually more accurate so idk which is it

Read it now.
Just do it.

Jul 4, 2016 2:55 PM

Jun 2012
don't remember the first series in detail, but this feels empty.

theres no atmosphere, the VAs are simply ok and the rest are w/e

another disappointment it seems
Jul 4, 2016 3:03 PM

Feb 2011
Only thing I'm gonna say is that I'm fine with most of the new voices... except for Crowley. Now he barely talked in this episode but man I miss Mitsuo Iwata already. Noriaka's voice doesn't really fit him.

I wonder why so many voices were changed. I can deal with it, but not in Crowley's case.
Jul 4, 2016 3:05 PM

Jul 2014
Can anyone reference me a synopsis of D.Gray-man? I don't really have a lot of time to binge watch 103 episodes of D.Gray-man of the first season. I'm completely new to this series. It looks awesome.
Jul 4, 2016 3:08 PM

Oct 2014
Same old horrible OST from the 1st anime, arghhhhhh I hate those repetitive tones.
Lenalee's new voice is childish. Doesn't fit her.

Everything else is ok...
Jul 4, 2016 3:10 PM

Mar 2013
Tyrel said:
straggy said:
Nothing was even rushed... Did you even read the manga? It was literally the same pacing except minus a few things here and there.

Why is whether I read the manga or not relevant, lmao? Someone's opinion isn't only valid if they've read the manga...

Also, not only did I say it felt rushed (which is a completely different thing to saying it straight up is...), the fact that it's the same as the manga doesn't automatically mean it's good and not rushed at all. The manga's pacing is perfectly capable of being bad too.
Jul 4, 2016 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
So, this show has school-dressed girls cutting through giant monsters' limbs with meters high air kicks...
Jul 4, 2016 3:15 PM

Aug 2013
Haven't watched this yet but how did this show already on #5 lmao
Jul 4, 2016 3:17 PM

Oct 2014
Gamelova said:
Can anyone reference me a synopsis of D.Gray-man? I don't really have a lot of time to binge watch 103 episodes of D.Gray-man of the first season. I'm completely new to this series. It looks awesome.

I think if you really are interested you should probably just watch the first series..skipping out on 160 chapters worth of plot and character development isn't something I'd ever advise..even if someone does give you a synopsis you wouldn't know the characters etc sorry probably not the answer you were looking for but I really wouldn't recommended it..besides if you like how hallow looked then I'm sure you'd like the original instead of treating it like a chore just to get to hallow..anyway reading the manga would be faster if you want to catch up to hallow.

morshuwarrior said:
Only thing I'm gonna say is that I'm fine with most of the new voices... except for Crowley. Now he barely talked in this episode but man I miss Mitsuo Iwata already. Noriaka's voice doesn't really fit him.

I wonder why so many voices were changed. I can deal with it, but not in Crowley's case.

I was wondering that too..it's not like their old va's aren't available since they're in the newer animes..budget if I'd have to guess..it has been 8years and their old va's are more popular now so probably they cost more..

Read it now.
Just do it.

Jul 4, 2016 3:20 PM

Oct 2012
RIP Lenalee's twintails. Atleast the length is borderline, would've dropped with short hair
ShinielaJul 4, 2016 3:24 PM
Jul 4, 2016 3:24 PM

Apr 2013
The new voices don't really fit the characters, it might be the fact that I watched all 103 episodes a couple months ago so it's still hard to get use to it who knows. The brighter crispier colors also seem to be a turn off and ruins the dark atmosphere D.grayman has going for it. Oh well at least we got something. :/
Jul 4, 2016 3:25 PM

Aug 2015
OK to start this what the fuck is wrong with lenalee she feels different.
miranda wtf... the animation was shitty compared to the first series.
but the OP was great, one of the best this season but it's okay at least we got a continuation of the show.
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Jul 4, 2016 3:30 PM

Feb 2014
That was sure depressing, the voices were so so painful to listen to. I couldn't concentrate on the content at all.
Why the hell did they give Leenalee a loli's voice? now she seems tooo tooo girly to me and Lavi, oh my poor bunny, he got the worst and most unfitting voice out of all of them.

Some people may think that changing voices isn't a big deal, but seriously for me, its the most important thing. I think its better for me to stick with the manga. 2/5... dropped.
dolly94Jul 4, 2016 3:41 PM
Jul 4, 2016 3:32 PM

Jan 2015
Love the animation it's just beautiful. Better than it used to be and the voice actors are good too !! :D
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

82 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

71 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2016

79 by Choostopher »»
Nov 6, 2023 10:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.