Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 1, 2016 8:39 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Children of the Sea

The Nerdist said:

Daisuke Igarashi’s series Children of the Sea is a beautifully illustrated, whimsical must-read that was first published in 2007 and has now released its conclusive fifth book, courtesy of Viz Media. The series follows the misfit Ruka, who is described as aggressive, athletic and unfriendly, and she quickly discovers her place might not be on dry land at all. Ruka befriends the enigmatic Umi and Sora, who were raised by dugongs (similar to manatees) and are currently being studied by the scientists at the aquarium at which her father works. The pair, which must hide their skin from the sun and stay moist most hours of the day, are just as intrigued by Ruka as she is them; they find kinship not only through their inability to fit in as normal kids but also share the same calls and visions from the sea that Ruka has had since childhood. Mysteries about Ruka’s past unfold as the community attempts to decode a parallel phenomenon; that is, fish have been both disappearing from aquariums and showing up on shores nowhere near their natural environment.

Children of the Sea is not for the impatient, as the storyline often ebbs and flows with lengthy, character-driven chapters that stray from the overall story but ultimately add a richness and emotional bond to each character. Igarashi spins a complex web of connections and relationships that can take a long time to pay off, and if you’re looking for a quick read, this probably isn’t your thing. Stick with Children of the Sea, though, and you’ll be rewarded by a truly gratifying read. Plus, if the story isn’t action-packed enough to keep your attention, the gorgeous artwork is more than enough to pore over.

Source

Buy: Here | Read: Here*

*Could not find a site with complete scans.
BrandAug 1, 2016 7:25 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 1, 2016 10:27 AM
Nov 2007
I thought this was a truly great short series.
Jul 1, 2016 2:57 PM

Jan 2016
I hoped for Kokou no Hito to win but Children of the Sea is an another great manga.
Jul 1, 2016 3:14 PM

Nov 2012
I always remembered the great art in this series. I can't think of another series with such memorable art. I read the first three volumes when I was in college (it was all the library had), then I finally bought the last two volumes a few years later. It's one of the few manga that I continued even after such a long gap.

Kokou no Hito looked really good too, though. But it's a lot less obscure than Children of the Sea, even though I'd never heard of it. It's kind of a shame we can't have 2nd and 3rd place too, but it would get to be too much then I think.

(Can the manga that didn't win be renominated once they've been voted on? I've been wondering, because I'm kind of new here.)
KaikoJul 1, 2016 6:29 PM
Jul 1, 2016 7:11 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Kaiko said:
(Can the manga that didn't win be renominated once they've been voted on? I've been wondering, because I'm kind of new here.)

I never made a rule about but I think it is totally fine to nominate a manga that didn't win.

I read a couple of chapters of this when Viz was still updating their Ikki website but never kept up with it. I actually bought a full set today, just waiting for it to come in the mail to read.
Jul 2, 2016 9:53 AM

Jun 2012
I'd never heard of this manga before, but it's now on my wishlist. I think I'll read it once my finals are over
Jul 2, 2016 3:35 PM

Aug 2009
Children of the Sea is such a fitting read for a hot summer day.

Anyway, I'm consistently impressed how Igarashi Daisuke crafts his settings. His works always have such a lovely, expressive art and his exploration of nature is unique in the world of manga (at least in my rather limited experience).
Jul 3, 2016 1:44 PM

May 2008
I've read Children of the Sea. I really enjoyed it.
Jul 10, 2016 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
I'm starting to read this for the manga challenge. I'm glad I picked this up. I'm enjoying it so far.
Jul 11, 2016 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
Does anyone know where I can find the rest of the chapters? Everywhere I look (apps) there is only 8 chapters available of Kaijuu no Kodomo. I'd really like to continue reading.
Jul 11, 2016 1:29 PM

Apr 2013
aqualiv said:
Does anyone know where I can find the rest of the chapters? Everywhere I look (apps) there is only 8 chapters available of Kaijuu no Kodomo. I'd really like to continue reading.

It has not been completely scanlated, so the only complete translation is the licensed version.
Jul 11, 2016 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
waxesnostalgic said:
aqualiv said:

It has not been completely scanlated, so the only complete translation is the licensed version.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess my only option is to purchase the volumes.
Jul 12, 2016 1:16 AM

Jan 2009
aqualiv said:
waxesnostalgic said:

Thanks for letting me know. I guess my only option is to purchase the volumes.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this since it's good to encourage buying, but you can find it on BakaBT or MangaTraders.
HalfsleeperJul 12, 2016 1:28 AM
Jul 23, 2016 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
I actually found a copy at a larger library. I'm grabbing them next week. I can't wait to continue this series.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of the Month! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

181 by Mr_Libra »»
Apr 8, 10:06 AM

» April 2024 - Believers

Brand - Apr 3

0 by Brand »»
Apr 3, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - April 2024

Brand - Mar 17

0 by Brand »»
Mar 17, 7:24 AM

» March 2024 - Isabella Bird in Wonderland: Unbeaten Tracks in Japan

Brand - Mar 2

0 by Brand »»
Mar 2, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - February 2024

Brand - Jan 16

0 by Brand »»
Jan 16, 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.