Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2016 9:37 AM

Apr 2014
Protaku said:
Badass said:
I don't remember Guts vomit in the manga. Why did he vomit when killing a girl? When he already went through many battlefield. I guess he vomits to his own series adaptation xD

Savage asf.

OTP: CGI was pretty bad, but at least it had some flair to it unlike Ajin's. I haven't read the manga, but I'm wondering why there are loli witches in my Berserk anime, alongside naked fairy boys whose primary job is comedic relief. Is that a thing in the manga?
yea puck is in the manga he does some important things later he not there just for comic relief
Jul 1, 2016 9:38 AM

Sep 2010
AOAOAOAOAAOAOAOAOOAAOAOAOAOAOAOOOAOAOAOAOAOAOOAOAOAOAOA;dafskdfbsdbflsdfsdbfksdbfklsjbsjfdzjfds

I found my anime of the year here!

fdglfdkglfdgkjfdngnfdgfdngdng,fdngdgd,mgnfd,mgfd,!

While watching this episode I turned into 100000% fanboy and saw not a single flaw in it, even when there are some flaws... most of them come from CGI.

But still... starting with the opening that is reminder of golden age, we then get weird mix of multiple chapters of Berserk and I loved it all to the point that rather than writing sentences here I will just go

kfslfhsdhfsdhshfsldfhsljfhsdlfksdhfsowehfuwefwjekfwberlwekfwek!

Slam the buttons as they came.

... okay I sustained the hype a little bit but still while this is not the anime adaptation that Berserk fans deserve this one is the one we got and I am planning to enjoy every single moment of it and at the very end of the season... I will have a great new soundtrack to reread berserk with :).

Soundtrack was definitely the best part of it. Aniation wise... I don't watch much CGI but I did like it more than what Ajin had. Still I was fanboying throught the episode to no end so I simply do not see flaws and I don't want to :)

I sometimes like hating on series but NOT ON THIS ONE!!

The mixmash of few chapters turned out quite good as the pilot episode as well but the one moment that my HYPE reached the zenith was that dream sequence. That soundtrack that was used ther

GUTS! GUTS GUTS! GUTS!

SO HYPEEEEEEEEEED! THen there is the membrs of the band of the hawk and lastly GRIFITHHHH!!!!!!! Well to be exact Femito and the other god hands but I was screaming grfithhhhh! As well.

So with my eyes of the fanboy my only let down was that we didn't get the new FORCES in this episode and I am waiting for that one. Other than that.

kshflsdhfjsdhflswefwelfwemfkwebfkwejfweflkwe...fjaskjfbsdjkfbsdkf

HYPED.

PS: I love the hate comments here! It's nice to be on the receiving end of closing my eyes on any fault and enjoying the show like newer while everyone will only complain on this. I am usually on haters side.

Now time to go and watch again!
Jul 1, 2016 9:39 AM

Mar 2016
Uberspyguy said:
Get ready for a metric ton of people who either hate this show because of:

A.) The CG
B.) Because it doesn't adapt the manga perfectly panel by panel

I think people need to realize that CG is going to become the norm in anime because it's much more efficient in terms of production than traditional 2d hand drawn animation and in terms of an adaptation do people not get the fact that anime and manga are two completely separate entities? They exist in parallel to each other. An anime doesn't have to adhere to the manga at all if the producers want to take it in a new direction. As someone who reads Berserk this first episode already shows that they are doing things differently than the source material but for all that is unholy can we not relish in the fact that we get to see Guts kill shit again?

My thought on that is, don't adapt that series then, or make it wholly different. It's a tease to show OMG, LOOK AT THESE PARTS FROM THE MANGA, YOU'RE GETTING THAT, and then screwing it up or around.

Or, maybe, this is just a thought; don't attempt to tackle a large story if you only have room for 26 episodes or less, like a film trilogy. It's just going to piss people off.

Berserk is a story that really only works one way, unless you're a skilled writer (and fan) who knows how to slightly alter it to the format.

Like I said before, why do other series get the perfect adaptation treatment, but one that needs it, like Berserk, cannot?
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 1, 2016 9:39 AM

Jun 2008
Even background art looks like it was made in 2007, no detail at all.
Jul 1, 2016 9:40 AM

Apr 2014
fairygood said:
Protaku said:

Savage asf.

OTP: CGI was pretty bad, but at least it had some flair to it unlike Ajin's. I haven't read the manga, but I'm wondering why there are loli witches in my Berserk anime, alongside naked fairy boys whose primary job is comedic relief. Is that a thing in the manga?
yea puck is in the manga he does some important things later he not there just for comic relief

Ah, I guess it's fine then. I'm thinking if I should continue watching the anime or just read the manga. I doubt the anime is going to adapt everything so far anyway , but I'm worried the manga will go Hunter x Hunter with the hiatuses on us again.
Jul 1, 2016 9:40 AM

Apr 2014
why did it have to be berserk?
Jul 1, 2016 9:41 AM

Sep 2013
This episode took many iconic moments from diferent arcs of the black sowrdsman and made them less impactful and just a fucking mess. Not to mention that fucking animation quality even for a 3D anime this is just awfull. Just a terrible adaptation in general. I was already expecting to be disapointed but this is beyond that. Berserk fans are the true strugglers in this situation.
Just read the manga really I know this is a cliche thing to say but FUCK this time it applies so much
Jul 1, 2016 9:42 AM
Jan 2013
Protaku said:
Badass said:
I don't remember Guts vomit in the manga. Why did he vomit when killing a girl? When he already went through many battlefield. I guess he vomits to his own series adaptation xD

Savage asf.

yeah there are lolis in this series. Propably cus due to his age Miura started to have some lolicon urges ;D

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Schierke
Jul 1, 2016 9:42 AM

Aug 2015
Oh Berserk, couldn't you have at least taken me out to dinner before you FUCKED ME?! Wtf was that opening? The 2D looked like shit! And are they really skipping over the baron and the elf forest and just changing the order of everything? They're skipping so much good!
Jul 1, 2016 9:45 AM

Sep 2015
Ignoring the CG for a moment, the episode was still below standard for something as great as Berserk. There were some flashes from past important scenes and that was good but it was done in a way that had no value and just seemed random. I do like the usage of Puck for camera angles during battle. Ending was great.

3/5 episode
Good but I expected more from Berserk.
Jul 1, 2016 9:45 AM

Apr 2015
I enjoyed it. Although, there are huge ups and downs in animation quality. Soundtrack is still good. Rearranged the order of events to fit a shorter anime, but I'm okay with that. Skipped the Lost Children mini-arc thing, but I can see why.

It's everything that I expected. It's nowhere near being as good as the manga. However, since Berserk's storytelling/characters are—for the most part—intact, this is still really good and could be AOTS...and this is my favorite arc.

EDIT: Strong prediction that it goes downhill from here.
Jul 1, 2016 9:47 AM

Mar 2016
CG isn't inherently bad and it's actually more expensive and harder than hand drawn, but people like to cut corners and this is why the anime looks so bad.

As an adaptation, it wasn't too bad since nothing important was actually changed
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jul 1, 2016 9:50 AM

Jun 2014
wtf how is this ranked #12 if everyone seems like they hate it?

Are the fans of this adaptation just really quiet or something?
Jul 1, 2016 9:52 AM

Sep 2009
Well, as a long time Berserk fan, I wasn't particularly impressed, however it wasn't as bad as people are making out to be.

It's true, the CGI makes it seems like you're playing a video game on 15-20 Fps, but the character designs are on point at least. I'm disappointed that they needed to skip an arc tho.

Also why the hell is Casca so white lol?

Hopefully it will get better in the next episodes.
Jul 1, 2016 9:52 AM

Nov 2015
I haven't read the manga (will do in the future), so I don't know if it's a good adaptation or not, but I loved the original Berserk anime.

I don't see why people are saying it's horrible, I don't think it's that bad.

Besides the animation (which could be much worse) I think the episode was pretty good, for a first episode it was well done.

I think people are overreacting a bit.
xicoguiJul 1, 2016 9:56 AM
Jul 1, 2016 9:53 AM

Jan 2016
It was great,i fuckn love when people kill shit.Please berserk fans stop being cancerous lmao.If you're gonna complain about every little thing in the anime,just go read the manga again and stop being annoying.
Jul 1, 2016 9:53 AM

Apr 2015
Jerkhov said:

Either MAL users that watch the anime raw thought it was really good and gave it high ratings or the fanboys that use MAL upvoted it long before the first episode was released subbed. I suspect the latter.

Expect it to go down given that the hype for it dies after a few mediocre episodes.

EDIT: Although I'm a fanboy, I still thought this episode was good and gave it a generous 9 rating.
Jul 1, 2016 9:54 AM
Jun 2013
I personally liked this episode, I read and bought the Manga because I'm a big fan of it and once you accept cgi it's actually quite enjoyable.

EDIT: That Yanagi Nagi ED song <3
Jul 1, 2016 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
iBroTuber said:
Spooky

Honestly what did you expect from this studio

The eyes... They are staring straight to my soul! and Puck can sod off if you ask me,but hey music is good.
Jul 1, 2016 9:55 AM
Jul 2015
I was expecting much better animation since almost 2 decades have passed I think the old berserk is better lol but I don't think CG animation isn't good. maybe we'll just have to get used to it like Ajin
Jul 1, 2016 9:58 AM

Oct 2015
That opening... the hell why is it showing golden age.
Jul 1, 2016 9:58 AM
Apr 2014
HAHAHA what is this garbage? and I thought Ajin's CGI was bad. nevermind this takes the cake
Why are they shoehorning Isidro in the beginning of the story?
They skipped and censored a lot of shit from the first chapter.
If this is your first experience with the Berserk series, better stop right now and go read the manga.
Jul 1, 2016 9:59 AM

Oct 2012
I'm so disappointed...I tried to come in with little to no expectations but its berserk so it was so hard not to..on the plus side the voice acting and OST i thought were fantastic. I, just with like pretty much everyone else here wish it wasn't CGI and we might have had something great on our hands here
Jul 1, 2016 9:59 AM

Oct 2013
Well, let us see where this goes
Jul 1, 2016 10:01 AM
Jul 2015
RealCW said:
Uberspyguy said:
Get ready for a metric ton of people who either hate this show because of:

A.) The CG
B.) Because it doesn't adapt the manga perfectly panel by panel

I think people need to realize that CG is going to become the norm in anime because it's much more efficient in terms of production than traditional 2d hand drawn animation and in terms of an adaptation do people not get the fact that anime and manga are two completely separate entities? They exist in parallel to each other. An anime doesn't have to adhere to the manga at all if the producers want to take it in a new direction. As someone who reads Berserk this first episode already shows that they are doing things differently than the source material but for all that is unholy can we not relish in the fact that we get to see Guts kill shit again?

My thought on that is, don't adapt that series then, or make it wholly different. It's a tease to show OMG, LOOK AT THESE PARTS FROM THE MANGA, YOU'RE GETTING THAT, and then screwing it up or around.

Or, maybe, this is just a thought; don't attempt to tackle a large story if you only have room for 26 episodes or less, like a film trilogy. It's just going to piss people off.

Berserk is a story that really only works one way, unless you're a skilled writer (and fan) who knows how to slightly alter it to the format.

Like I said before, why do other series get the perfect adaptation treatment, but one that needs it, like Berserk, cannot?

I think another point to mention here is that Miura himself is somewhat involved with this new anime. He approved of all the cuts and changes in the original TV anime and I think this is no different. Just judging from the preview for the next episode I feel they will adhere to the manga much more (looks like they are jumping to the binding chain chapter and then the birth ceremony chapter, which is chronologically correct). They tried their best to introduce the anime and it's principal characters with the first episode and I think it was kinda hit or miss but at least it's setting the stage.

In terms berserk getting a proper, full adaptation I feel it's impossible at this point simply because of how we already have two decent but somewhat botched adaptations of the Golden Age arc, each with their own continuity and adaptation problems. I'm just glad that we can see berserk animated again.
Jul 1, 2016 10:06 AM
May 2014
It was awful, shit CGI messed everything up. And I won't complain for the fact that they skipped 2 arcs...
Jul 1, 2016 10:07 AM

May 2013
Berserk chasing Urda in the CGI quality realm. Would laugh again :D

Jul 1, 2016 10:08 AM

Jul 2014
The CGI ruined the show. They should seriously do sth about it.
Doctors want to check me
Poke me and dissect me
What do they expect?
Feelings from a wind-up toy?
I don't think so

Jul 1, 2016 10:08 AM

Jul 2009
Animation was shit and storyline butchered. They want so bad to quote Nietzsche's "beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster" and yet skip the Black Swordsman Arc, where they show how he's so damaged that he is as scary as a monster, while leaving Caska behind in the process. I don't understand for what public they are aiming this anime for, because if you haven't seen at least the movies, you are not going to understand shit. It's certainly not for the fans of the manga.
Jul 1, 2016 10:12 AM

Sep 2013
wow didn't expect such a horrible CGI, and the show overall felt "weaker" than the original anime. Had decided to read the manga but then the show was announced so I waited, welp guess I'm going to start reading it now.
Jul 1, 2016 10:13 AM

Jul 2011
just fuck my shit up
Jul 1, 2016 10:13 AM
Jul 2016
Ok I just watch the first episode and Berserk is my favorite manga of all time and is actual literary genius in my opinion. So I can assure you as a fan I would be among the first to cry out for it's defense from a mountaintop, Hell I even defended it's cgi golden age arc movies and I thought they were pretty great, they may have skipped a few scenes but I can't think of a single movie among those i didn't enjoy watching. So yeah this is going to break my heart to say this but..........

BERSERK THE ANIME IS GIGANTIC COLOSSAL DISAPPOINTMENT, EVERYTHING THAT MADE BERSERK SPECTACULAR WHICH WAS THE ART, THE STORY AND ITS ENTIRE MYTHOS WAS SHAT UPONAND FLUNG AROUND RIGHT BACK AT US. I DON'T THINK I AM SPEAKING HYPERBOLE WHEN I SAY THIS WAS A GIGANTIC KICK IN THE BALLS TO FANS OF BERSERK. WHYYYYYYYYY WHYYYYYYY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THIS!!!!!

Ok now onto why this was a huge disappointment. At first I was actually impressed the intro started off pretty well, then after the bar fight things just started to go downhill.

WHY THE FUCK WAS ISIDORO INTRODUCED SO EARLY? WHY DIDN"T HE USE HIS DRAGON SLAYER LIKE IN THE MANGA AND OG ANIME? WHERE WAS THE SNAKE BARON IN ALL OF THIS?

Everything was so rushed and so many characters that should've appeared in the manga later on are just appear with weak setups up the ass. While overall the CGI does get shat on by pretty much every one, I thought it pretty much improved in battle sequences but when people in there were just sitting around and talking everything looks like something off of the ps3, it was unsettling. They also completely toned down the violence and grit in the anime and I don't just mean censoring disturbing parts because as we all know only good anime do that (that last part was sarcasm)

AND OH MY GOD WHEN THE THOSE DUDES GOT EATEN BY THOSE TREES, THE BLOOD SPATTER IS THE LAZIEST AND MOST UNREALISTIC DESIGNS EVER.

Then as a final insult we get skipped all the way to when Guts meet up with Farnese and the holy iron knights and glossed over the lost children and the fucking count.

I really really really wanted to enjoy that episode but this anime made me lose all hope for a good berserk anime. I really would have excused the clunkey cgi if the badass story held up in the anime but they completely nutuered it. And I give this one 2 stars, I think I will go cry in the corner now, I can't even be fucked to do a reference to the eclipse at this point.

edit*clarity
Cav3mon64Jul 1, 2016 1:42 PM
Jul 1, 2016 10:14 AM

Apr 2015
Jerkhov said:

wait for the next score update.
Jul 1, 2016 10:15 AM
Aug 2012
Artwork is so inconsistent... and MEH!

CGI is very poorly mixed in and the movements are WTF at times.

And the way they've done it, makes the story seem so shallow.
Jul 1, 2016 10:15 AM

Jan 2015
As a non manga reader, I can say that I really liked this episode. Except the CGI, that was garbage!
Jul 1, 2016 10:16 AM
May 2014
Badass said:

That's what I thought when I saw it xD
Jul 1, 2016 10:17 AM
Oct 2010
I don't get it, if you have to use CG why not use GOOD CG? I really question the budget that these berserk adaptations are getting because I can't believe we are seeing some wonky ass 1990s models up in here when stuff like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGl_2gYrfM0

This exists. I'm not asking for this level of fidelity, but good god at least have it at an acceptable level. They should have gone back with Studio 4C because at least they started to get the hang of it by movie 3.

Mar 2015
Shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for it.. thought the cgi would be more manageable like in Aijin

Sep 2013
Some of you people are actually defending this shit basically saying:
"IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING"
Jul 1, 2016 10:18 AM
Jan 2015
Lol, it's funny how the upcoming game looks better then this. Sad thing that animators in Japan are shackled by 2D appeal that they just don't know how to bring it up and they make this horrendous attempts.

Jul 1, 2016 10:19 AM
Oct 2010
Also LMAO they hand drew the OP for that final kick in the nuts, these guys are just :|
Jul 1, 2016 10:23 AM
Jun 2016
Just so fucking ugly and the animation was awful, 10fps camera.
And even if we are don't regardless of that CG, that was not very good either.

Sep 2013
Cav3mon64 said:

I really really really wanted to enjoy that episode but this anime made me lose all hope for a good berserk anime. I really would have excused the clunkey cgi if the badass story held up in the anime but they completely nutuered it.

I felt the same, I wouldn't mind if the animation was this bad if they just adapted the manga without all this bullshit.

Jun 2013
This is a laggy video game cutscene. Nothing else to say really.
Jul 1, 2016 10:25 AM

Mar 2015
i wonder how the japanese reacted to this episode.
someone know?
Jul 1, 2016 10:26 AM

Sep 2015
It was ok, but then again, I never read the manga. I really couldn't grasp what the hell was going on in fights due to the slow framerate. I felt like I was missing a lot of info, is this a continuation of the previous one?
Jun 2011

Why. . . Oh god. . . why. . .

I want to hurt whoever thought this was a good idea. . .
Mar 2016
The animation wasn't that bad, but how difficult is it to make one faithful adaptation of Berserk? Just one?
Jul 1, 2016 10:27 AM

Oct 2015
Great opening. Great music so far.
I really like the environments (forests, etc), they feel really athmospheric.
That said I prefer movie 3's animation style to this one. There is something feeling ill at ease with this style, like stuff is moving all over the place. Also dislike the cell-shading style that we saw already.
There were some greatly drawn characters, but overall it all feels videogame-like.

As to the story and pacing...You definitely feel the difference between a series and films in that...As an individual episode it doesnt mean much.
They are also basically taking pieces from all arcs to make it to the conviction arc, puzzling scenes together. What can I say? Thats disappointing but its expected.
Lets be honest a huge part of the story, the entire black swordsman arc, seems to be gone. Along with all the dark feel and gore.

Overall I give it a 3/5 so far. In a 26 episode show its still quite early to judge.
If I had to sum it up in one sentence, I'd say its an excellent summary of the story and the best we can get. But unfortunately, there is so much missed. I almost would have preferred it if they did a well animated 18+ film of only the black swordsman arc...
Jul 1, 2016 10:28 AM

Jan 2011
Guts is back yay! That CGI animation is like straight from a video game xP Well it's not that bad. I personally like it. Especially the more dynamic parts and fighting scenes.

What really bothers me was the mouth movements of the characters while talking... It's so off sync and weird looking, like some manikins. Not a fan of mixing regular digital style with CGI either. It stands out too much clashing one into the other and in the end doesn't work out so well :P Seems like the studio wants to save money meh.. >_<"

On the other hand I really liked the opening OST and the animation itself fits it well IMO. Same goes for the creepy/gory parts. Didn't expect Collette to get killed and being possessed by an evil spirit afterwards o.O And that demon tree thingy scene. Brutal :O

I still giving the series a try despite the CGI/digital mix and off sync, because I haven't read the manga, but watched the old anime + the movies. I hope it gets better.

As for now 3/5 from me.
RaffJul 1, 2016 10:34 AM

Pages (20) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

181 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:58 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.