Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 29, 2016 10:19 PM

Mar 2012
Elitist: LOGH or GTFO
Casual: Attack on Titan is the greatest thing ever
Jun 29, 2016 10:32 PM

Mar 2008
zal said:
MattKitsune96 said:

Yeah that works well, they can watch less popular stuff without being an elitist.
Being elitist has nothing or little to do with the popularity of the shows they watch. However if they research only niche anime then they are hipsters. Keep in mind though that there are some people with 1000+ anime so niche anime is their only choice.

I think that depends. An elitist might pursue obscure anime for the status of greater knowledge or the bragging rights to an esoteric experience. The hipster watches obscure things to be different.
Jun 29, 2016 10:35 PM

Aug 2015
kamisama751 said:
Z-Dante said:
Elitist : People with shit taste who thinks they got good taste and shits over everyone else for not liking their favorite animu.

So basically yourself? :D
Nope. I was talking about your kind >:3

I basically fall somewhere between the Elitist and Casuals. Basically in the "True great taste squad"
Jun 29, 2016 10:38 PM

Mar 2015
Z-Dante said:
kamisama751 said:

So basically yourself? :D

I basically fall somewhere between the Elitist and Casuals. Basically in the "True great taste squad"

idk about that man, having shitty gil-kun instead of emiya-sama in your favs? bad taste desu
Jun 29, 2016 10:49 PM

May 2015
Ckan said:
zal said:
Being elitist has nothing or little to do with the popularity of the shows they watch. However if they research only niche anime then they are hipsters. Keep in mind though that there are some people with 1000+ anime so niche anime is their only choice.

I think that depends. An elitist might pursue obscure anime for the status of greater knowledge or the bragging rights to an esoteric experience. The hipster watches obscure things to be different.
He mentioned that elitist would watch obscure anime but that is not completely true. I agree with that there can be different types of elitists and some include your examples. However watching only obscure anime applies to hipsters not to elitist (by definition, not by their motifs), some people may be both. The shows usually associated with elitist are usually not obscure at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2016 11:04 PM

Apr 2014
all i know is, people prefer the casual watchers over elistest.
Jun 29, 2016 11:07 PM

Mar 2015
orosan said:

I thought elitists>casuals? I'd personally rather hear an elitist talk about LOGH than hear a casual talk about Naruto or Attack on Titan.
Jun 29, 2016 11:08 PM

Nov 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:
orosan said:

I thought elitists>casuals? I'd personally rather hear an elitist talk about LOGH than hear a casual talk about Naruto or Attack on Titan.

This^
+1
Upvote.

It's even worse when the guy is an elitist hunter..
Jun 29, 2016 11:10 PM

Mar 2015
Gesu- said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

This^
+1
Upvote.

They seem to derive some perverse pleasure from saying how they aren't self-entitled and that they can enjoy the basest of shounen. Oh well, whatever floats in their boat I guess~

Oct 2014
A casual is someone who only watches a few anime (eg. Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Pokemon) or watches anime infrequently (less than 10 episode a week). An elitist is someone who believes there are some people whose opinions are objectively superior to the general public and they tend to believe that they are one of those people. They are known for circlejerking with other elitists to determine the anime that are "objectively the best". Neither of these requires a certain level of anime knowledge nor any number of completed anime. They are descriptions of the viewer's psychology towards anime.

Nov 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:
orosan said:

Gesu- said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

This^
+1
Upvote.

bravo, my fellow shitposters. upvote
zombie_pegasus said:
A casual is someone who only watches a few anime (eg. Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Pokemon) or watches anime infrequently (less than 10 episode a week). An elitist is someone who believes there are some people whose opinions are objectively superior to the general public and they tend to believe that they are one of those people. They are known for circlejerking with other elitists to determine the anime that are "objectively the best". Neither of these requires a certain level of anime knowledge nor any number of completed anime. They are descriptions of the viewer's psychology towards anime.
why are you posting between me and my homies?

Jun 29, 2016 11:12 PM

Mar 2015
zombie_pegasus said:

you gotta git moar elitist, the more elitist you are the better

Nov 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:
Gesu- said:

This^
+1
Upvote.

They seem to derive some perverse pleasure from saying how they aren't self-entitled and that they can enjoy the basest of shounen. Oh well, whatever floats in their boat I guess~

"Look at me I don't give a shit about what you think!
Look at how great I am because I don't give a fuck!
Look at me I'm so fucking cool
look at me!
LOOK AT ME!!"

May 2015
Gesu- said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

This^
+1
Upvote.

Even elitist hunters can be entertaining with the right dub.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2016 11:16 PM

Nov 2015
zal said:
Gesu- said:

This^
+1
Upvote.

Even elitist hunters can be entertaining with the right dub.

Replace 'big foot' with 'elitist' and you get a pretty accurate documentary on elitist hunters..
Jun 29, 2016 11:18 PM

Mar 2015
Gesu- said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

"Look at me I don't give a shit about what you think!
Look at how great I am because I don't give a fuck!
Look at me I'm so fucking cool
look at me!
LOOK AT ME!!"

And yet another day in the life of 2D bliss passes
Jun 29, 2016 11:21 PM

Apr 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:
orosan said:

yeah cuz everyone wants to hear a self absorbed jerk talk shit about all animes except his favourite.
Jun 29, 2016 11:21 PM

Jul 2014
Badass said:
Anime elitists are people who feel superior only because they watched certain anime and feel their tastes are the best.

Anime casuals are basically anime watcher in general, they like to watch anime and usually new to anime.

What this guy said, it's pretty much nothing else to it.
Jun 29, 2016 11:22 PM
Jun 29, 2016 11:26 PM

Mar 2015
orosan said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

yeah cuz everyone wants to hear a self absorbed jerk talk shit about all animes except his favourite.

Cuz when an anime like Inferno Cop is so 10/10, there really isn't much to say about it. Stuff like Naruto on the other hand...
Jun 29, 2016 11:32 PM

Dec 2015
The "casual" definition is very twisted here.
Casual isn't compatible with going on the Internet to actively search and watch japanese animation, and certainly not with visiting specialized forums and participate there. A casual is what everyone here was when he simply watched his television networks picks of japanese products among other animations from elsewhere. If you watched Sword Art or Shingeki no Kyôjin before everyone else, you are far more motivated/dedicated than a real casual consumer would be.
Once you start focusing on it, how could you still be a casual? Would you say someone who joggs every morning is a casual jogger?

(after all, those exaggerations might be "natural", the Internet is nowhere near to be the real life)

PS: about Eva, Lain, Cowboy Bebop, original Macross etc... in France, a lot of people who don't even have an interest in jap.animation have watched them. Simply because they were on TV at affordable hours. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu had some VHS in supermarket and kiosks!
Texnholyze was on regular TV channels in Deutschland!
Based on Italia and french kids shows in the 80s/90s and the "references" I read here, I dare say EVERY person who was a kid from those countries in those days are elitists... (of course they are not)
Some arabic countries had the old Yamato over and over again on their TV.

orosan said:

This isn't exclusive to what you call here "elitists" but is rather a characteristic of every bad person writing in those forums.
Rei_IIIJun 29, 2016 11:35 PM
Jun 29, 2016 11:35 PM

Jul 2013
Another elitist vs casual thread? Sasuga, MAL. Add some lolis and we have AD in a nutshell.
Jun 29, 2016 11:47 PM

Oct 2014
@ExTemplar I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do to make up for my sin? I hit the "quick reply" button on the first page so I didn't realize I was putting myself in between people of such high status. It truly is an honor to be royally knighted as VIP Shitposters by the god of MAL himself and I feel bad for any suffering I may have caused you by posting near you.

@OneTrueEmiya K
Jun 29, 2016 11:51 PM

Jun 2008
OneTrueEmiya said:
This is an elitist:

This is a filthy casual:

Oh boy, shots fired, @hoopla123 ....defend your waifu!!!
Jun 29, 2016 11:53 PM

Nov 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
@ExTemplar I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do to make up for my sin? I hit the "quick reply" button on the first page so I didn't realize I was putting myself in between people of such high status. It truly is an honor to be royally knighted as VIP Shitposters by the god of MAL himself and I feel bad for any suffering I may have caused you by posting near you.
@OneTrueEmiya K
You better be, you low class pleb.
jk bro
@hoopla123,

Jun 30, 2016 12:00 AM

Jan 2016
this, is what you could call an elitist

A casual is normally a beginner, but sometimes related to as a bad term calling casuals those, who've seen only SnK, Naruto, DBZ, One piece, SAO and etc.
Jun 30, 2016 12:06 AM

May 2015
TheMoonServant said:

A casual is normally a beginner, but sometimes related to as a bad term calling casuals those, who've seen only SnK, Naruto, DBZ, One piece, SAO and etc.
It seems in the anime community casual has taken an even worse connotation than in the other communities. It is strange to see Akira and Yugioh in the garbage together with the usual ones.
Jun 30, 2016 12:11 AM

Jan 2016
zal said:
TheMoonServant said:

It seems in the anime community casual has taken an even worse connotation than in the other communities. It is strange to see Akira and Yugioh in the garbage together with the usual ones.

In that group you can see some weird shit, most fishermen are basically "jojo>all" or "naruto>all", but this picture there is the new meme trend for July
Jun 30, 2016 12:18 AM

Aug 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:
Z-Dante said:

idk about that man, having shitty gil-kun instead of emiya-sama in your favs? bad taste desu
こんやろう!

Pffft, I'd rather have the king of heroes in my favorites instead of some mongrel.

Liking a "hero of justice" is the true sign of having bad taste desu...
Jun 30, 2016 12:46 AM

Nov 2009
Kaneki-Uta said:
I know what they are, but I really don't see why they exist... I mean they group 2 types of anime watchers, the assholes and no-shows. What about everyone else?

Most people on these forums don't fit the stereotype of "elitist" or "casual".
Some elitists on these forums have argued that anybody who watches a lot of anime inevitably becomes an elitist. That is a lie, you can stay polite and enjoy ordinary anime even after watching 700+ anime like me.

kamisama751 said:
I know a person who is like this: "In my opinion SAO got good writing. Therefore, it is above average and everyone who scores it lower han that is a hater." Now what is he a type of person? :D

I'm pretty sure you're talking about me. I self-identify as anime veteran. I have seen over 700 anime titles, and I believe in myself.
Haters are people who single out SAO, saying that it is somehow unusually bad.
Elitists are people who say the whole genre/concept of SAO is bad (as opposed to just not suitable to the speaker's personal taste).
Jun 30, 2016 12:47 AM

Aug 2008
I assume some people haven't seen this club?

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=35120

I believe the 'anime relation', which include Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works,OreGairu,Steins Gate are considered bad anime according to elitist.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=549073

Some people who just seen the club might get themselves confuse what does elitist mean.
I've been here since 2008, so please let me share my experience with the evolution of 'elitist' in anime community. I could be wrong since even though I join since 2008, I don't post a lot as you can seem from the number of my posts. Even people who join years later than me have more posts count than mine.

Elitist is originally about what type of anime you like. Some anime, which are considered deep, intelligent are anime for elitists. Because of this, people who like this type of anime always think they are better than others who like battle shounen, ecchi and harem type of show. As a result, this type of elitist look down on all other fans and having so called deep,intelligent anime in their favourite give them a sense of bragging right and think that anyone who disagree with them is wrong and keep bashing others. Soon, even people who do not have deep, intelligent anime in their favourite also act like those elitist where they look down on others who have different favourite anime than them. Whether this attitude is inherited/influenced from original elitist is still unknown.As a result, even though he or she does not have those so called deep,intelligent anime as favorite, he is considered an elitist because he act like one where he look down on others. Do keep in mind not everyone who like deep, intelligent anime act like asshole or act superior than others.There are still people with deep,intelligent in their favourite but they never bash others.

I've also seen some people said the ability to express and explain why you like certain anime or what you think make a good or bad anime also decide whether you are elitist or not.

This is what I know about 'elitist' from my experience here in MAL since 2008.
ZapredonJun 30, 2016 5:27 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jun 30, 2016 5:04 AM

Aug 2014
@Zapredon Good post, I agree

I think I prefer to hang with Casuals, they are more flexible, so if you have a different view of their favorites you can discuss with them and there is a high possibility that they adapt some new ideas, they can like different things and have a wider taste ( in the long run). Everyone of us anime fans have been a casual someday right?

Elitists on the other hand are stubborn, they think they know it all, masters of anime industry, experts that know better than other fans, discussion with them is pointless most of the time and you will end up wasting your time, most excuses are lame af.
They only like their own, they disrespect other people who have different ratings and favorites, they have same favorites and same ratings most of the time, and unfortunately their taste is narrow, unable to explore beyond..
Jun 30, 2016 5:14 AM

Oct 2013
Fuck Em both! hell yeeeaaahhh!!!!!!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 30, 2016 5:17 AM

Feb 2015
is MAL under attack by some conspiracy organizations right now, i mean from yesterday ?
Jun 30, 2016 5:18 AM

Mar 2016
Anime elitist fap to anime while casuals don't.
Jun 30, 2016 5:25 AM

Mar 2014
Oh look, another anti elitist™ thread in disguise
OneTrueEmiya said:
orosan said:

^This
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 30, 2016 5:31 AM

Sep 2015
Elitism is an attitude thing. If you look down on others and think you're superior, you're an elitist.
A casual is just someone who doesn't watch much anime on a daily/ weekly basis. That's all it means.

They're not opposites. They're not mutually exclusive. A casual can be an elitist, and an elitist can be a casual. All the other correlations are completely irrelevant. Someone who's watched 1,000 series can still be a casual. They don't have to be new to anime. They don't have to watch only new / mainstream anime.
The meanings of both elitist and casual have absolutely nothing to do with the type of anime they like. Absolutely nothing.

That's all there is to it.

Gesu- said:

Please note that this is a spectrum and these two kinds of people fall to the extremes of this spectrum.

Completely wrong.

Nihilfist said:
Never knew that some people don't understand the concepts of elitists and casuals. It seems pretty self-explanatory.

Ironic, because your explanations for both are wrong.
MazJun 30, 2016 5:36 AM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 30, 2016 6:14 AM

Nov 2013
Casual: X is pretty cool
Elitist: Y is good because
Jun 30, 2016 6:18 AM

Aug 2014
Elitist are the people who don't agree with you and likes something different from you.

Casuals are the ones who are always right and sides with you.
Jun 30, 2016 6:31 AM

Nov 2009
doom19876 said:

Correction:
Elitist: your Y sucks because

that's why we don't like them.
Jun 30, 2016 6:37 AM

Nov 2013
flannan said:
doom19876 said:

Correction:
Elitist: your Y sucks because

that's why we don't like them.

Well I haven't met all elitists, but can't we just agree that elitist jerks do that?

Also that still comes from Y is good because Z. X doesn't have Z so Y>X
Jun 30, 2016 6:49 AM

May 2016
Konguras said:

I think you're confused; you've got it backwards.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 30, 2016 6:53 AM

Nov 2009
Zelkiiro said:
Konguras said:

Both groups don't. It's their loss.
Jun 30, 2016 6:53 AM

Jul 2012
Anime casuals and elitists are both similar if you think about it.

They're both stubborn people who refuse to believe that there are good anime aside from the ones they like.

The difference is that anime casuals won't watch the retro anime elitists love because the art looks ugly. On the bright side they usually won't bother the elitists.

The elitists usually have a better taste in anime because they're watching both anime of the past and anime of the present. On the negative side they're constantly going out of their way to tell casuals that their taste is shit.

At the end of the day both groups are filled with dumbasses.
Jun 30, 2016 6:57 AM

May 2015
Zelkiiro said:
Konguras said:

Works both ways friend.
jaesuk97 said:

At the end of the day both groups are filled with dumbasses.

You can apply this to 90% of MAL threads.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 30, 2016 7:01 AM

Jan 2016
OneTrueEmiya said:
Nihilfist said:
Never knew that some people don't understand the concepts of elitists and casuals. It seems pretty self-explanatory.

This is just a well-disguised "Are elitists bad" thread. Don't think too hard on it.

Hey, I was actually confused on what they both were. I don't care if they're bad or not, I just wanted to know what they are, as the word is used all the time in the anime community.
"The only one who can beat me is me."
Jun 30, 2016 7:09 AM

May 2015
SingleEdgeSword said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

This is just a well-disguised "Are elitists bad" thread. Don't think too hard on it.

Hey, I was actually confused on what they both were. I don't care if they're bad or not, I just wanted to know what they are, as the word is used all the time in the anime community.

OP, it doesn't matter if you know or not, mentioning elitists and casuals will quickly make it a "elitists are the cancer killing anime!" thread.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 30, 2016 7:10 AM

Mar 2015
SingleEdgeSword said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

That's...surprising. I dunno if you've lurked here for long, but most of such threads are basically bait topics. So erm, I blame it all on you ^_^
Jun 30, 2016 7:11 AM

May 2016
Zelkiiro said:
ITT: People mad because so-called elitists actually have standards and won't give a 10 to every piece of crap that releases.

Are you an elitist?😮 If you aren't, can you name the usernames of users who are? I would like to see one...
Jun 30, 2016 7:18 AM

Mar 2016
I don't know about anime series but I'm a loli-elitist. I shit on people with shit loli taste because mine is superior.

I'm guessing an anime elitist is just a person like me. Only with equally as good taste in anime as I have in lolis.

Casual =/= fanboy right? Or am I wrong somewhere? A casual is basically a person who isn't as invested in the medium isn't he/she? Nothing to do with their tastebuds.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anticipated Spring 2024 anime

ani2016 - Mar 13

16 by Pengawas »»
1 minute ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

49 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

110 by himegal »»
21 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
30 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.