Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 13, 2012 11:51 PM

Sep 2011
Did... she... die...? *sad face*

Overall, I can't really say anything bad about this series. I enjoyed it a lot, looking forward to season 2! 8/10 ~
Feb 20, 2012 2:19 AM
Feb 2012
wow great ending though I hope that Angelica didn't die. seems kinda sad but if she did it was at least in that situation
Feb 27, 2012 8:03 PM

Jun 2009
This was quite good, a pleasant surprise for me, 8/10. Now onto season 2.
Mar 20, 2012 5:14 PM

Nov 2011
I finished this recently, loved it.
Mar 25, 2012 7:51 PM

Nov 2011
That was a nice way to end the series =P.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Aug 19, 2012 6:19 PM

Aug 2008
ending was good, singing Beethoven was great.
Aug 25, 2012 12:14 PM

Aug 2011
So touching... The ending raised my score 9/10

Really liked this series. Looking forward to second season.
Nov 5, 2012 9:55 AM

Oct 2012
My my my..That was both sad and happy..
It was sad she died but happy that she died happily near Marco who she loved..
Also this series was very touching..It's little that I have those kinda feelings
This series deserves a 10/10..I love it..Might rewatch it sometime
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Jan 31, 2013 6:25 PM

Jan 2012
wow, what a beautiful and powerful ending with the shower and beethoven there, this anime was so much more than just girl cyborgs using guns and killing people, i found their relationships with their masters and each other to be intense and fascinating to watch..... it was quite slow, but it worked, and there wasn't much action at all but that gave everything else a chance to shine through and it did so really well, i never rate a 10... and i don't think it quite pips a 9 (not a lot do) but this is VERY close, and is an extremely high 8!!

great series, judging from what people have said with the animation and stuff on the second series, i will leave it a little while before picking up the second series when i have finished watching other anime higher on my list
May 30, 2013 8:17 AM
Aug 2012
i watched this dubbed and subbed i prefered the dub suprisingly gd the series was gd the story was great there was darkness running through out tho every moment of darkness seemed to have a positive side found normally by Henrietta i feel so sorry there lives are so short tho how short is not specified i think they will never grow either or at least if they did grow it would mean having to replace all of there synthetics near enough daily or giving enough room for bone growth for monthly changes with out the doctors doing tht they would probably meet a very painful slow and grisly death. it was like a piece of art this series everything was done well even characters that lasted 2 episodes or less had back stories that where well done. i knw by definition the girls are cyborgs tho the characters allways seem to think that this means that they are just robots which is a completly different thing in as they dont belive the girls are human when cyborg means a human or living thing with enhancements for example a synthetic component which could increase leg power which doesnt make u not human.
Jul 14, 2013 6:37 PM

Jul 2008
This is why I give series with 7. scores a chance. I end up finding great series like this one.
Jan 17, 2014 6:20 PM

May 2012
Pretty awesome final episode, really gives a great impact to the overall feel and atmosphere of the series and well it does make you wonder what the second season has to offer! So with no further ado let's find out what it has to offer us!
Feb 13, 2014 11:16 PM

Jul 2011
coming back as "rewatching" today on Valentine's day. Just finished it, and wow, i did not remember it as such a tragic story. I hope Angelica did not die. but it is sad that every time they condition, their lifespan shortens. And in Angelica's unique situation she forgets stuff. but not everything. Like she forgot that Henrietta went to see her, but not when Claes hit her..butmaybe because at the same time that Henrietta went to see her she remembered her dog.

Anyways great story as always, love this series. So unique. And Henrietta is so darn adorable. Triela is an awesome big sister.
Mar 23, 2014 5:39 PM

Apr 2012
7/10

Good watch. The drama isn't too heavy, but still does a great job of delivering. Deep down Marco cared a lot about Angelica. I'm glad he was there until the very end :(. Overall, the series had a great atmosphere.

Apr 30, 2014 12:05 AM

Nov 2012
6/10. Decent. Not a very entertaining watch, nor does it really do anything great or that I haven't seen before.
May 17, 2014 12:56 AM

Nov 2013
Just marathoned the series over two days and wow. The show is absolutely amazing. I went in expecting high action gunfights but came out with a deep, psychological, and tragic story. I can see how the show isn't for everyone though. It didn't have a strong driving plot narrative but instead focused on the character back stories and developments. The picture quality of the blu-ray was decent for a 10 year old show, though nothing that'll blow your socks off. Watched it with the English dub and I'd say voice work was excellent with everyone sounding spot on for each character. Looking forward to watch the second season on blu-ray.
ChiselMay 17, 2014 1:07 AM
Anime Collection: Libib
PSN: Moontei
May 18, 2014 12:45 PM

Jan 2014
I kept getting the feeling that if only Marco treated Angelica better, she wouldn't be dying quite so soon.
Jul 15, 2014 11:30 PM

Jun 2014
9/10
Jul 20, 2014 4:21 PM

Aug 2011
Wow... This ending was... Just wow...
I liked it a lot.

Rico being extremely cute ;-;
Oct 21, 2014 9:57 AM

Aug 2013
When Angelica's eyes started to close I was like "no no no no no!" :(

From the girls' backstories to their current life...everything about this show is tragic. I wish they got to live normal lives *sigh*

8/10.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 21, 2014 1:06 PM
Jun 2013
it was pretty good season. Though it felt like there was no real plot. Just character moments which in some shows can work but here not really espcailly when they keep talking about the RF and such and dont really touch on it. If I had to pick my least favorite characters it would be jean cause hes a douch and rico cause she seemed to show zero remorese for killing the innocent like that hotel kid as long as shes able to move around. The ending of this episode was sweet and depressing all at the same time.
Nov 2, 2014 11:38 PM

Jan 2013
I thought most of the series was fairly accurate. There weren't no overly exaggerated gun explosions and blowing up things. Personally, to me, the anime was very powerful in a way that wasn't all vivid violence and everything. I loved all the characters, they all had deep back-stories and they were all interesting, Rico and Triela especially ... nawww :')))

A stable 7 from me
Dec 31, 2014 2:55 PM

Jul 2009
I hope Ange is just sleeping... =/
I enjoyed it, let's see what the 2nd season will bring! 7/10
May 13, 2015 7:24 AM

Mar 2013
Overall this anime was pretty boring for me. It had nice visuals, a rather unique arstyle a nice soundtrack and the overall tone of the anime was nice at start. It sadly seem to not had enough production value to create enough well animated action scenes, which were probably the most interesting part about this anime. The premise could not really be taken serious, which was pretty much the main reason for the disinterest on my side (another reason would be that every character had the emotion of a carrot). When they at least tried it to make it a little bit more realisitc, but sadly no. 2/10
Aug 26, 2015 11:31 AM

Jan 2012
Sad decent anime , point of show is that lolis can be dangerous .
if u like loli's and guns watch this show.

Sep 6, 2015 1:18 AM

May 2014
I could not help but laugh my ass off as the ode to joy really kicked in during the meteor shower, and then I couldn't help but feel sad for Angelica about a minute later.

I had a lot of fun with this show, even if the melancholic atmosphere was literally strangling me, i'll give it a generous 8/10.
Apr 14, 2016 10:25 AM

Apr 2015
A dark atmospheric and episodic anime that involve lolis and their relations with each other and their 'master'. Too bad the pacing during the first few episode was a bit messed up, but then it goes nicely. The characters are somewhat realistic too, and I didn't expect that the ending can be that moving. 8/10
YouApr 14, 2016 10:29 AM
Jul 14, 2016 4:13 AM

Dec 2014
It was so good. Like, WOW, I don't even know what to say exactly about it that was so good but it was sooo goood. And that OP, Jesus. That OP is what all OP's should aspire to be like. I'll have to ponder on it a little more but I'm thinking it might just be my favorite opening ever. I'm not going to watch the second season and just read the manga when I get around to it. I started this with thinking it was going to be an okay show but I never expected it to get a place on my top 10. Man, this anime was soooo gooood.
Aug 27, 2016 10:32 PM

Jun 2016
I cried and I haven't cried to an anime in so long. I honestly can't remember the last time, it must of been over a year ago. That was a beautiful ending to an amazing series. There was a lot I wish it explored a lot more but for a 13 episode series it did way more than I ever expected. I also had to go back and watch the first scene again seeing how the show ends on it, what a great experience. I'd recommend this show to everyone wholeheartedly.
Oct 19, 2016 9:05 PM

Sep 2013
Kind of a weak ending episode...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 25, 2017 6:32 PM

Apr 2017
The relationship between Marco and Angelica was so touching, and so tragic.

I may or may not be crying right now...

9.5/10
Jul 7, 2017 11:44 AM

Jun 2013
The little cyborgs are short lived, we're told. Just like a meteor shower, they burn bright and they're over before you know it. Still, despite the horrors surrounding their existence, there's still something beautiful about their life. This is no excuse for anything, but at least it's not all bad.

On the show as a whole: I think it wasn't adapted in an ideal way; the way the stand alone stories were arranged just didn't carry as much impact as I feel they could have, potentially. While I think the storyboarding was quite good, and some of the backgrounds were very pretty, they could have used a bit more color in the visuals, and there were way too many stiff movements. The facial expressions were also severely limited, and not just on the cyborgs but on every character.

This show was more often than not uncomfortable to watch, for obvious reasons, but it made me think about things from a different perspective sometimes, and there's value in that.
Sep 23, 2017 3:37 PM

Jul 2016
hmm.. well i guess you either think that it was a amazing ending or it was a bit lack luster. for me, i'm in the latter opinion. i disliked the ending. the past two episodes were focused on angelica and i guess for a anime that is only 13 episodes, it may be hard to wrap it up so i give the show props for that. the beethoven music, angelica's death/slumber, the meteor shower. i'm not sure now if i'll watch the second season.
Oct 5, 2017 7:37 AM

Mar 2011
What was Jose up to that kept him "busy"? Was he intentionally keeping his distance? His absence felt kind of weird to me at the end.

This was my first time re-watching GG since it came out, and I have to say that it didn't age as well as I thought it would have. It's still good and thoughtful, and made me want to finally get around to watching S2, but I just watched the first episode last night, and... just... wow. What the heck happened?
Jan 19, 2018 12:26 AM

Dec 2013
The series felt pretty episodic to me as they jumped around between each girl throughout the episodes. However, the series does a good job in keeping all the girls around, even if they aren't the focus. I prefer this rather each girl having their own "arc" (like 2-3 episodes each) and then disappears if that makes any sense.

The Ode to Joy singing was great! My only complaint was that they didn't do full version where the voice actresses sing the song on a CD OST release or something lol.
Jan 29, 2018 10:36 PM

Jul 2011
Few first episodes were quite confusing (same scenes recycle), but I like how each girl got their episode for backstory (somewhat), drama there and there spice up feelings, there is still 2nd season, I hope it will be better (score seem to be worse, but never went with scores, but with my eyes to watch till ending)

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Nov 17, 2018 1:20 PM

Jan 2013
I actually quite enjoyed this anime, it was a great way of showing the relationship between the girls and their handlers.
Seeing the toll it takes on the girls and the handlers and the morality behind making them tools for an agency was actually quite well done.
Asking itself if they actually have free will, how it affects them when out there just killing whomever they have to kill.

For me it's a solid 8/10.
The ending was actually quite nice imo.
Jun 22, 2019 6:43 PM

Dec 2013
Oh my god, this series may not be for everyone but I really like this! And I can't help but to scream when Angelica's closing her eyes. I hope she's just sleeping! My god!!!!!!!!!! Good thing Hilshire and Alfon so supervised them with shooting stars watching. If there is a second season I'll definitely watch it.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 18, 2019 4:45 AM

Oct 2012
Beethoven Symphony 9 is a good song
I wish I can sing it too I just know "Freude schöner Götterfunken" rests are too hard xD

Sleep well Angelica :(
"Signature removed"
Oct 24, 2019 8:17 AM

Aug 2012
Well that was a nice though tragic ending. Poor Angelica.

Overall I was disappointed slightly by this show, it's one of the more famous shows from the era and it has beautiful animation and a wonderful soundtrack but the actual story content just wasn't that interesting to me.

Or that is to say it wasn't overly engaging. After the first couple of episodes I expected for a plot to emerge, something for the characters to ultimately do. But the show became more of a character study. With each episode focusing on another girl or brother. This was fine I suppose but it wasn't overly exciting and it got stale to me. The situation was too strange and kinda silly for me to get overly melodramatic about it all.

Like Small Girls, highly trained in Gun warfare, working on behalf of the government to do its dirty work? It's pretty dumb and that's before you add in the fact they were girls on deaths door brought in to the companies hospital, converted into cyborgs and brainwashed effectively to forget their past. The whole thing is bizarre. Also why only girls? Less suspicious than boys I suppose but still...

Overall I kinda felt the show had the aura of thinking it was better than it actually was. Like it had some deep meaning and the shock value of the little girls murdering is some profound commentary or something. I'm probably being harsh there.

It was fine but nothing overly special to me. 6/10

Hopefully Season 2 is a little more interesting even if the art isn't as good.
Jun 11, 2020 10:24 AM

Mar 2020
BlaizeV said:
Also why only girls? Less suspicious than boys I suppose but still...

I think Riko used to be a boy.
Jul 17, 2020 5:10 AM

Sep 2008
KuroNekoAlchemy said:
BlaizeV said:
Also why only girls? Less suspicious than boys I suppose but still...

I think Riko used to be a boy.

Rico's a girl. Her tomboy looks and personality were deliberately chosen by her handler, Jean, since he regards her more as a tool of the trade than a person and purposely tries to avoid developing any sort of emotional attachment to her.

As for why girls are chosen as cyborgs over boys, men are traditionally associated with being cops and terrorists. Having cute little girls as agents give the criminals the SWA confront a false sense of security in assuming the girls are harmless and non-threatening, especially in operations where the girls are usually used as bait to lure out criminals.
ggultra2764Jul 17, 2020 5:23 AM
Jun 24, 2022 10:15 PM

Aug 2018
I kept having the feeling that I was missing out on a deeper meaning. Each episode seemed to have an obscure art reference which might have helped me understand better. This use of classic art is a pretty lame attempt to make the show look smarter than it actually is. But then again, maybe the previous sentence is just copium from an unsophisticated swine who can't admit the themes went right over his dumb head.

Overall a really interesting show. Tragic and bittersweet, but not entirely devoid of happy moments and maybe even a life affirming message buried in there somewhere. (It's mostly just depressing though.)

I'll give it a 7/10
epidemia78Jun 25, 2022 11:28 AM
Jun 27, 2022 4:18 PM
Jun 2022
I'm happy with the ending they went with, I like how it's more philosophical and that Marco ended up giving more attention to angelica so she didn't end up like Elsa
Jul 27, 2022 1:38 PM

Jan 2020
Life goes on for the gunslingers -- I guess if Angelica could feel the end coming that might explain some of her bravado as of late. And, her passing did result in a rather sad ending that hangs as a reminder for the rest of the girls.

Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The action was fast-paced and impressive to boot. The drama and storytelling were well thought out, even at times when I wasn't exactly on the character's side. As a whole, it was really well done. Though, I can see how people who don't like sad things might not fully appreciate it.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 16, 2022 12:35 PM

Jul 2015
Beethoven's Ode to joy, fitting end for such a bittersweet moment with gladly Marco being there at Angelica's last moment.

Dec 2, 2022 5:33 PM
Mar 2019
Henrietta convinces Marco Angelica really needs him at the Hospital.
I think all Handlers care for the Girls but know it probably won't end well in the end.
Marco listens and visits while the rest of the Girls sing Beethoven while watching shooting stars.
Nice end to a Great Anime, i never get fed up of re-watching.
Angelica did not die but i wasn't sure the first time i watched.
Dec 21, 2022 5:14 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Wow, was actually not expecting it to end on a rather happy note. Or perhaps bittersweet would be more appropriate, since Ange is most likely in fact dead. At least it looks like she passed on in peace, watching the meteor shower. As for Marco, we see that not all handlers are dicks who are more soulless than their cyborg companions, and there's hope in that.

Not saying that this show did not carry any weight to it, but considering its premise, I was expecting a bit more substance. Again, I had just finished Standalone Complex, so having that fresh in my mind might be the case for my unreasonable expectations. Still, it's a bit forgettable on my part, and just a tad shallow. I think there certainly was room for it to pack a bit more of a punch. And not that this should be the primary focus or anything, but even though it is a more grounded show with none of that cutesy cutesy stuff, it still is a girls with guns anime, and the gunplay was mostly static. Maybe I should just stop thinking of other titles totally different from this, like Lycoris Recoil, which had quite stellar choregraphy.

Will watch at least the first episode of the 2nd and last season, "Il Teatrino", since it seems Triela who was the best part of this show is our main lead there, but if it's simply more of the same, I think I'll leave it at that. I hope the odd soul who sees this at least enjoyed this more than I did.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 2, 2023 9:32 AM

Aug 2019
Overall I think this series was okay. There were moments where I was pretty close to dropping it because it just felt really boring. I had to force myself to finish some episodes, and in some cases I just wasn't that interested. I think this show is like a 6 for me. Better than a 5, but I can't really give it anything higher
Feb 3, 10:19 AM

Nov 2023
God that ending was perfect for me, I know there's a second season and I'm buying the DVD for sure when I get paid, really excited to watch that but gosh what a simultaneously tragic yet beautiful ending.

For once they all finally got to be what they should've been in the first place.
Kids.
All singing that wonderful song, smiling with joy and goofing around. I'm happy angelica died with Marco by her side too, and I'm glad he realized in her final moments that he needed to be there for her, tragic that he didn't come to that realization sooner. Hearing him read the story to her one last time as she watched the stars and slowly faded away made my heartache.
Most of the unanswered questions I had were almost perfectly wrapped up here, there's still so much more after this, the manga that's 100 chapters and the second season of course. The game too which I'll be playing tonight. I'm just in awe at how much I love this show and everything it does. This one's gonna stick with me for a long looongggg time.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

51 by Dripz2012 »»
Apr 17, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 1 Discussion

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

48 by Dripz2012 »»
Apr 17, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 11 Discussion

blackfeather_58 - Aug 27, 2008

45 by maki_evergarden »»
Feb 2, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

58 by maki_evergarden »»
Jan 24, 8:37 AM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Episode 5 Discussion

Piroko - Jun 12, 2008

37 by katakumplat »»
Sep 11, 2023 7:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.