Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think that people who have a MAL mean score below 4.00 hate anime?

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 28, 2016 10:26 PM

Jul 2015
Yeah. I don't understand the "I don't drop anime" concept. Why continue watching something you know is shitty? Masochism? But I guess I'm already picky about the anime I start so there's a higher chance I'll like it, hence a higher scoring.
Jun 28, 2016 10:26 PM

Feb 2011
From my perspective its the opposite, they keep watching animu even though its bad in search of suitable animu (for their taste and req). I think its love that drive them this way.
Jun 28, 2016 10:27 PM

Apr 2015
Kona_Kana said:
No, I like anime and my mean score is 3.32

Ah nice to know there's actually people who do so that post on this thread. Do you feel that some of your 1s are highly better than your other 1s or something like that? Because as for me, I pick any shows, from high ranked one on MAL, middly, low, until the abysmal, and those which is on the enlightment chart and also club relations of "Uber-Elitist" club (because I don't wanted to only can say that I've seen better than "popular-and-good" shows, but also wanted to say that I've seen worse than some "popular-but-bad" shows)
Jun 28, 2016 10:30 PM

Oct 2014
EmperorQ said:
zombie_pegasus said:
At what point do you usually drop an anime, though? Is it three episodes, one episode, or even just 15 minutes? There are plenty of anime shorter than all of these; in fact the median length of all anime is just three episodes. I rarely drop anime that are under 15 minutes long, hence the reason why they make up 92% of my 1s, 86% of my 2s, 68% of my 3s, and 61% of my 4s.
Usually after 7 or 8 episodes should be enough to hook me, except for a super long series like one piece that took about 15.
Since you're one of the rare people who has over a day watched per anime I'm not surprised that you would have a high mean score. My mean score of anime I've spent more than 18 hours on is 9.1.
Jun 28, 2016 10:30 PM

Sep 2015
It's possible that some people are really critical when it comes to rating their anime but if you're not a reviewer or critic, I don't see the point in finishing a show that you're going to eventually rate poorly. If I don't like where a show is going I just drop it, why bother wasting my time not having fun just so I can rate it a low score?

I stumbled upon someone's profile once and saw they had a mean score of 3. I checked their list and found that 75% of their scored anime were anime shorts that were less than 5-10 minutes in length and when you go to the respective anime's page they were all shit anime. Not shit as in my opinion is shit but anime that is literally atrocious, all of them had a rating of less than 4. Anime like this but not this exact one, just proving my point on how bad they are. I immediately thought why this person even bothers doing this, just so they can look "cool" cause they have a super low mean score? Ridiculous if you ask me.

In my opinion, everyone should have a mean score around between 5-8. 5 being you are a tough rater, 8 being you are a more forgiving one. If you have a score lower than 4, what are you doing with your time? Why not pick stuff you'll enjoy...

End rant.
Jun 28, 2016 10:34 PM

Jan 2014
I don't hate anime. but, my vote depend on taste as well
Jun 28, 2016 10:35 PM
Aug 2014
You said:
Kona_Kana said:

Ah nice to know there's actually people who do so that post on this thread. Do you feel that some of your 1s are highly better than your other 1s or something like that? Because as for me, I pick any shows, from high ranked one on MAL, middly, low, until the abysmal, and those which is on the enlightment chart and also club relations of "Uber-Elitist" club (because I don't wanted to only can say that I've seen better than "popular-and-good" shows, but also wanted to say that I've seen worse than some "popular-but-bad" shows)

Hm, I guess I would say there is a little bit of variance between my 1's. I've given them out to popular series as well as some practically unheard of ones. I only give decent scores to things I felt were meaningful enough and genuinely liked by me. I'm always fishing for hidden gems though. You can't exactly trust the MAL rankings and have to form your own opinion from watching a show IMO.
Jun 28, 2016 10:37 PM

Jun 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
I'm glad you picked that one since I've already written a 450 word review on why I hate it.

I'm even planning on making a recommendation between it and Glasslip for both being anime that have good sound and visuals but shitty story and characters (I love making unhelpful recommendations and then not actually publishing them into the MAL rec system).

Like I said, I can understand not liking it, though I don't agree that is has no story at all. It's a very simple story, and it does not follow convention. There's a lot going on, and a lot being said about the future and how the government will harness resources and weapons, as well as human issues such as understanding inferiority complexes and the lust for power. I could go on, but I won't because even if there was no story and what you're saying was correct, I still can't fathom looking past the groundbreaking visual effects and world building. SAO and Another don't even come close to that level. I can't think of words to express how different they are. I mean, can you at least explain that? I just want to understand your value system, lol. I may be getting ahead of myself and caring a bit too much about your personal opinion, but I'm curious to hear your defense.
Jun 28, 2016 10:44 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Zelkiiro said:
Mamster-P said:

i third this lol

i see no fucking reason to finish a show you're going to rate so low...... my favorite are the people who finish a 25 episode anime then rate it a 1 or 2

Because some of us write reviews and take it seriously. And some of us don't have time to watch something halfway, realize it's poo-poo garbage, and pick something else up--once we've committed, we've committed. And tearing a lousy series a new asshole is cathartic. And you can't just always watch good shows or else you'll become numb to what makes a series good, so you have to watch dumpster grease like Lucky Star to once again appreciate just how amazing Now and Then, Here and There truly is. There are plenty of reasons to complete a bad show.

yep yep..... and you wonder why we call you guys elitists and why people continue the to bitch about elitism

anime ain't your science homework, and no one should care what some random ass on the internet thinks about an anime they like unless theyre planning on making their own
Jun 28, 2016 10:46 PM

Feb 2016
no. they like anime. maybe they're tsundere :P

another reason:
because they add too much anime like shitcom (and also similar with it), boku no pico (and also similar with it), ergo proxy, pupa, and tatami galaxy on their list. and it affects the overall mean score
Jun 28, 2016 10:50 PM

Jan 2012
I mean, if they have a below 4.00 mean score that means the average anime they watch they think is bad, which isn't really a good thing.
Jun 28, 2016 10:59 PM

Oct 2014
thesound said:
zombie_pegasus said:
I'm glad you picked that one since I've already written a 450 word review on why I hate it.

I'm even planning on making a recommendation between it and Glasslip for both being anime that have good sound and visuals but shitty story and characters (I love making unhelpful recommendations and then not actually publishing them into the MAL rec system).

Like I said, I can understand not liking it, though I don't agree that is has no story at all. It's a very simple story, and it does not follow convention. There's a lot going on, and a lot being said about the future and how the government will harness resources and weapons, as well as human issues such as understanding inferiority complexes and the lust for power. I could go on, but I won't because even if there was no story and what you're saying was correct, I still can't fathom looking past the groundbreaking visual effects and world building. SAO and Another don't even come close to that level. I can't think of words to express how different they are. I mean, can you at least explain that? I just want to understand your value system, lol. I may be getting ahead of myself and caring a bit too much about your personal opinion, but I'm curious to hear your defense.
Although I try to mainly rate on quality rather than enjoyment, if my enjoyment is very high or very low then it will greatly affect the score I give it. I didn't really get anything out of Akira and while the effects were nice a light show isn't really much of an anime. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei also had similar character designs, but as a slice of life show the audience is introduced to each character individually and the personalities are all different. You're always given enough time to know who the characters are and with the lack of a central plot giving more of a focus on comedy sometimes it doesn't even matter who the characters are. In all honestly I even enjoyed Glasslip more than Akira. Well drawn characters talking about nothing is more enjoyable for me than poorly drawn characters who get put into well-animated action scenes. Action scenes aren't very enjoyable for me unless I can connect with the characters, so if there are no characters to connect with then it makes the action scenes pointless to me. In terms of my own enjoyment it wouldn't be that different if the animation in Akira was on the level of Inferno Cop. Berserk had awesome fight scenes but most of the anime was based around Guts and his relationships with his comrades. His character was well developed and it was easy to understand his struggles and see the fights from his perspective. Cardcaptor Sakura also had great fight scenes but spent more time on character and relationship development. Akira, having no characters, spent all of its time on the fights and therefore had no characters to relate to and it was even hard to know who to cheer for since often the hero and the villain looked similar. I honestly haven't felt quite that bad when watching any other anime (well, maybe Blame!, but that isn't well regarded anyway) so honestly a 4 is a generous rating considering that my enjoyment score would be around a 1.
Jun 28, 2016 11:13 PM

Feb 2014
If they don't hate anime by now even after watching so many shows they think are bad, then they have to be masochists. But I think either they aren't good at picking anime that are more in line with their taste, use their own rating system and/or compare apples to oranges while judging and rating a particular anime, or are just plain old elitists.
Jun 28, 2016 11:17 PM

Jun 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
thesound said:

Although I try to mainly rate on quality rather than enjoyment, if my enjoyment is very high or very low then it will greatly affect the score I give it. I didn't really get anything out of Akira and while the effects were nice a light show isn't really much of an anime. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei also had similar character designs, but as a slice of life show the audience is introduced to each character individually and the personalities are all different. You're always given enough time to know who the characters are and with the lack of a central plot giving more of a focus on comedy sometimes it doesn't even matter who the characters are. In all honestly I even enjoyed Glasslip more than Akira. Well drawn characters talking about nothing is more enjoyable for me than poorly drawn characters who get put into well-animated action scenes. Action scenes aren't very enjoyable for me unless I can connect with the characters, so if there are no characters to connect with then it makes the action scenes pointless to me. In terms of my own enjoyment it wouldn't be that different if the animation in Akira was on the level of Inferno Cop. Berserk had awesome fight scenes but most of the anime was based around Guts and his relationships with his comrades. His character was well developed and it was easy to understand his struggles and see the fights from his perspective. Cardcaptor Sakura also had great fight scenes but spent more time on character and relationship development. Akira, having no characters, spent all of its time on the fights and therefore had no characters to relate to and it was even hard to know who to cheer for since often the hero and the villain looked similar. I honestly haven't felt quite that bad when watching any other anime (well, maybe Blame!, but that isn't well regarded anyway) so honestly a 4 is a generous rating considering that my enjoyment score would be around a 1.

Interesting, so you definitely seem to value characters above all else. I can enjoy a well written character, but often I don't mind if one is simply used as a vehicle to move an idea or visual forward, so long as what is being presented is interesting or stimulating in some way. I also have always been a sucker for action. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
Jun 28, 2016 11:29 PM

Sep 2015
I don't think they hate anime. They've just seen bad ones and few good ones in their opinion. And maybe they used the MAL scores correctly.
Jun 28, 2016 11:59 PM
Feb 2016
No, but they're probably not a lot of fun at parties.
Jun 29, 2016 12:03 AM

Jan 2016
Protaku said:
Yeah they probably sing "hello darkness my old friend" in bed until they fall asleep too.

Made my day with that *Cries* that was a good laugh
Taiga is Knowledge, Taiga is Power, Taiga is Life
Jun 29, 2016 12:04 AM

Sep 2009
No, because most anime are bad. Most of everything is bad, really.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 29, 2016 2:27 AM

Dec 2015
I think they might not hate all anime. But it is certain that they might have disliked 80-90 percent of the stuff they watched (like the Kona_Kana guy above) - since they obviously have a lot of low scores that have to be lower than 5 where it gets bad - even if you are one of the guys that says "5 is still okay or good".

Still leaves 10 percent of stuff you can like.

You also can roughly guess that they might not have a lot of other hobbies and about 100 percent of their free time (when they are not at work or school and not sleeping) is being spent on anime.

Since a person with other hobbies probably would just prefer doing a fun activity other than watching bad anime (other hobby). But that isn't possible if you only have anime as hobby. Those guys are dedicated to anime a lot - so they will watch almost every minute in their free time and even watch the worst stuff they don't lke.
Jun 29, 2016 2:35 AM

Dec 2015
Funny, I see some people in this thread complaining about a 4.00 mean score, but on other threads I'd see them yell "let anime fans like what they like and dislike what they dislike. None of your business".

Hmmmmmmm, I find that quite interesting fellow MAL weebs.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 29, 2016 2:37 AM

Mar 2015
KonaKoffee said:
Funny, I see some people in this thread complaining about a 4.00 mean score, but on other threads I'd see them yell "let anime fans like what they like and dislike what they dislike. None of your business".

People like to say what they will to make them look good to the majority.
Jun 29, 2016 2:42 AM

Dec 2015
MechaGuy said:
KonaKoffee said:

People like to say what they will to make them look good to the majority.

Exactly...
Everyone here is anonymous so it's cringey this would even be a thought in their minds.
Also, these threads are meant to discuss anime, whether it be negative opinions on anime or positive ones.
But it never seems like there is any room to discuss or analyze anime on the threads because people get pissy about a 4.00 mean score and yell "elitist, boo. Stop having an opinion, it offends my taste in animu".

Jesus. I saw a ton of users give some of my favorite series a 4 or below, and I don't even bat an eye about it even when they talk shit about the show on the forums. Lol it's a mean score yall, no need to overthink it...

Kona_Kana said:

RUN!
All the people who complain that animu fans should do what they want will tell you to stop doing what you want.

You guys,
it is written under the weeb laws "If there is something you do that I would not enjoy doing, then I must make you feel bad about it and tell you to stop watching animu".
Underneath that it states "Anyone with a meanscore under 6 must die; because blah blah elitist, blah blah assume they'll make fun of me for my top 10 and calling my favs generic, blah blah judge taste in animu because that will tell us if they're the devil or not".
KonaKoffeeJun 29, 2016 3:04 AM
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 29, 2016 3:07 AM

Apr 2016
They most likely have a different rating system. For others who don't, the thing I don't understand is people watching (and completing) anime they end up not liking on a regular basis. I can understand trying out new things and seeing whether you like it or not, but doing this again and again when you know it's something you'll definitely dislike is insane. Why waste time and effort on something you don't like (on a regular basis) is the main question here.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jun 29, 2016 3:11 AM

Jun 2015
no, i think they have reason for it ..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2016 3:24 AM

May 2012
Mamster-P said:

yep yep..... and you wonder why we call you guys elitists and why people continue the to bitch about elitism

anime ain't your science homework, and no one should care what some random ass on the internet thinks about an anime they like unless theyre planning on making their own

You're the guy constantly going after threads complaining about ecchi and fanservice, but just join the complainers when it's about something you personally don't like.

People can have lots of different reasons for still wanting to complete shows they don't like. Giving anime a low score doesn't mean they can't get some enjoyment out of them. Like you said, a mean score on someone's own list shouldn't make you care about their lists, so why do you type comments like this?

This seems really hypocritical to me.

KonaKoffee said:

Best comment in this thread.
Jun 29, 2016 3:26 AM

Oct 2015
No, they are either very critical (or masochists), or as ^^ mentioned, they have a different rating system, where 4/10 is the average or something.

But if someone's mean score is less than 3 I would assume that they are exaggerating.

Just as you should "ideally" rarely rate shows as high as a 9 or 10, you should just as rarely rate as low as a 1 or 2.
Jun 29, 2016 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Ouch.

I don't hate anime, though my mean score currently is just below 5 - I try to rate both according to the scale MAL has, aka 5 as an average and also I try to rate as objectively as possible.

I can rate an anime with a 4, think it's bad, but still enjoy watching it. Likewise, the majority of anime just tends to be bad /shrug, but you can say that about each and every medium.
Jun 29, 2016 4:22 AM

Mar 2015
BS, my mean score is 4.17 and I love Anime.
When I give a show a low rating it doesn't necessarily mean that I didn't have fun watching it, it just means that it's a bad show.
And please stop with that "if you don't like, don't watch it" garbage
what
Jun 29, 2016 4:45 AM

Dec 2015
im pretty sure it has to do with how they rate things

for me a 6 or 7 is an average score for an average anime but some people may do it 4-5
Jun 29, 2016 5:22 AM

Nov 2009
Zelkiiro said:
Mamster-P said:

i third this lol

i see no fucking reason to finish a show you're going to rate so low...... my favorite are the people who finish a 25 episode anime then rate it a 1 or 2

Because some of us write reviews and take it seriously. And some of us don't have time to watch something halfway, realize it's poo-poo garbage, and pick something else up--once we've committed, we've committed. And tearing a lousy series a new asshole is cathartic. And you can't just always watch good shows or else you'll become numb to what makes a series good, so you have to watch dumpster grease like Lucky Star to once again appreciate just how amazing Now and Then, Here and There truly is. There are plenty of reasons to complete a bad show.

If you don't have the time, don't write reviews.

For that matter, I don't have the time to keep watching some bad anime when I could drop it and go watch something with 120% more explosions pantyshots.

P.S. Also, muggles who can't appreciate Lucky Star. Hatred!
Jun 29, 2016 5:23 AM

Sep 2015
It would be silly to make baseless presumptions by going off of nothing more than a single number. If that person only rates 1-5, then a mean score of 4 is really quite high. There are other people who rate different types of anime (shorts, movies, TV series, etc) in different manners, which can affect their score - I personally have a cap of 8 for single episode OVAs, so as to not devalue my 9s and 10s.

I've even seen one person who only reserves 1 and 2 for negative scores, with 3 being average and 4+ all being positive scores. I believe the idea behind it was that they don't watch to spend much time differentiating between below average, bad, shit, awful, etc - they either didn't like it (2) or they hated it (1). This tanked their score since their most common score was a 3, which is a perfectly fine score by their standards.

There are far too many extraneous variables to just make a baseless presumption. Everyone has their own methods of scoring, and the notion that someone would spend lots of time and effort consuming the anime medium even if they didn't like the majority of it is a strange one indeed.

Mamster-P said:

There are plenty of reasons to watch an anime through to the end lol. The last time I bothered to write up a list explaining why someone might complete an anime even if they didn't like it, I had like 8 or something different reasons for it. You not seeing a reason =/= there being no reasons.
MazJun 29, 2016 5:35 AM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 29, 2016 5:36 AM

Jun 2016
That really sucks for them. They must not enjoy anime. They should probably find a new hobby that they actually enjoy.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Jun 29, 2016 5:39 AM

Nov 2009
AdelBern said:
I don't think they hate anime. They've just seen bad ones and few good ones in their opinion. And maybe they used the MAL scores correctly.

They're definitely using the MAL scale incorrectly. The scale says "good" is 7. A typical anime is good. That's why I watch anime, and not my country's shitty films.

I've yet to see people properly discussing the difference between scoring anime based only on other anime, or based on all works of fiction they have encountered before.

KonaKoffee said:

Can somebody who thinks most anime are "bad" or worse be considered an anime fan? I don't think so.
People who aren't anime fans don't get the freedom to dislike anime. Just like people who aren't of african descent aren't allowed to use the N-word.

kamisama751 said:
Mamster-P said:

You say people shouldn't care about what others think about it but yet you are an "elitist hunter"? Such contradictory.

Nah, it makes sense. People should not care, and you should stop trying to make them care. Especially by abusing them for their choice in anime.
Jun 29, 2016 5:53 AM

Dec 2015
flannan said:

Can somebody who thinks most anime are "bad" or worse be considered an anime fan? I don't think so.

People who aren't anime fans don't get the freedom to dislike anime.

Lol you can't just simply say someone doesn't have the freedom to do something just because that's how you feel.
Anyone has the freedom to do what they want, plz.

flannan said:

Just like people who aren't of african descent aren't allowed to use the N-word.

1.) Trying to compare someone's race or ethnicity (something that they are BORN with) to LIKING ANIME is already a poor argument. lol Like...you could have used anything else, but I wonder if you thought you would get brownie points from me by bringing up the "N-word" argument.

2.) just because it's considered wrong to say doesn't mean that other races do not have the freedom to say it. They have the freedom to say what they want, even if it is a racial slurr.

lol I seriously can't believe this is how you defend your opinion....on....anime....
plz tell me you are not serious.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 29, 2016 5:53 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Suna_Kujira said:

You're the guy constantly going after threads complaining about ecchi and fanservice, but just join the complainers when it's about something you personally don't like.

People can have lots of different reasons for still wanting to complete shows they don't like. Giving anime a low score doesn't mean they can't get some enjoyment out of them. Like you said, a mean score on someone's own list shouldn't make you care about their lists, so why do you type comments like this?

This seems really hypocritical to me.

ok, ill admit, im not saying it correctly...

none one should "let some random persons opinion affect their own". all i mean is, don't think just because someone said some negative things about a show means you won't end up enjoying it

just think about how many people have asked shit like "should i watch this show?" "is it bad if i like this show?" etc... as if that cannot be determined by the individual. im kind of responding with that in mind

so no, i don't actually mean"you shouldn't care what others think". as i i do believe you should defend things that you like, i again, just mean that at the end of the day, someone else is not YOU

@kamisama751

im not a "hunter" i simply respond to what i get tired of seeing constantly... if i don't see it, then i have nothing to say

Maz said:

There are plenty of reasons to watch an anime through to the end lol. The last time I bothered to write up a list explaining why someone might complete an anime even if they didn't like it, I had like 8 or something different reasons for it. You not seeing a reason =/= there being no reasons.

ive seen so many times

completed 25/25

score: 1

THIS ANIME WAS COMPLETE GARBAGE AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT GOT SO POPULAR

when i see that, i just can't help but LMAO... its like..... NO ONE forced you to waste your time if thats all you can say about the show. i mean sure
you have all the right in the world to finish it, but as an entertainment medium, i just can't understand why you'd force yourself

knowing you though im sure you'd have some interesting reasons to keep watching
Jun 29, 2016 5:56 AM

Nov 2015
Mamster-P said:
Zelkiiro said:

I've literally seen this exact same conversation before.
Have I travelled back in time or something?

OT: I've gone through some profiles like these and most of them have mostly watched OVAs and ONAs more for some reason.
I don't understand why anyone would pride themselves in having a really low mean score tbh.
Below 4.5 and I start wondering if they care more about their mean score than the anime they watch itself..
Jun 29, 2016 6:01 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Gesu- said:

holy shit...... you've seen the same conversation being spoken again by yet another user on MAL?

WOAH.... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 29, 2016 6:02 AM
Jul 2018
Gesu- said:
Mamster-P said:

OT: I've gone through some profiles like these and most of them have mostly watched OVAs and ONAs more for some reason.
I don't understand why anyone would pride themselves in having a really low mean score tbh.
Below 4.5 and I start wondering if they care more about their mean score than the anime they watch itself..

What makes you think someone watching a lot of OVA/ONA is purely meant to lower their mean score? I watch a lot of OVA and ONA myself, mostly because I want to finish the entirety of any given series. A short comedy anime might be exactly what some people are looking for on their weekends, who would I am to ciriticize them for it? I also pick up alot of Short Series / OVA through the seasonal anime. It's more about completionism. The same applies to not dropping anime, even if you rate them as bad or horrible or worse - maybe you're intending to write a review, maybe you want to complete the anime just to be able to argue why the show is good/bad, maybe completionism in itself is something you strive for, or maybe you want to give the anime a chance to get better or you get some other enjoyment out of it.
It's not as if that'd be some foreign concept. Look at some of the platinum gaming trophies out there, which sometimes make you hate even your favorite game.

Who even unironically claims himself to be "elitist"?
removed-userJun 29, 2016 6:07 AM
Jun 29, 2016 6:04 AM

Nov 2009
KonaKoffee said:
flannan said:

People who aren't anime fans don't get the freedom to dislike anime.

Lol you can't just simply say someone doesn't have the freedom to do something just because that's how you feel.
Anyone has the freedom to do what they want, plz.

flannan said:

Just like people who aren't of african descent aren't allowed to use the N-word.

1.) Trying to compare someone's race or ethnicity (something that they are BORN with) to LIKING ANIME is already a poor argument. lol Like...you could have used anything else, but I wonder if you thought you would get brownie points from me by bringing up the "N-word" argument.

2.) just because it's considered wrong to say doesn't mean that other races do not have the freedom to say it. They have the freedom to say what they want, even if it is a racial slurr.

lol I seriously can't believe this is how you defend your opinion....on....anime....
plz tell me you are not serious.

1) It's fine enough argument, in my opinion. I'm not going to give up liking anime, and I'm not going to give up being russian. This is part of who I am.
I do not expect non-anime-fans to appreciate [insert anime name here], and I do not expect americans to appreciate smetana. But both are missing out on good things.

2) Similarly, just because MAL doesn't stop users from having an average rating below 5, it does not mean it's not considered wrong.

I'm not in the best mental/emotional shape lately.
Jun 29, 2016 6:06 AM

Nov 2015
Mamster-P said:
Gesu- said:

holy shit...... you've seen the same conversation being spoken again by yet another user on MAL?

No it's just that we heard you the first five million times.
We get it, you don't understand people who watch anime to analyze them.

It's time to move on fam..
Jun 29, 2016 6:08 AM

May 2015
flannan said:
AdelBern said:

They're definitely using the MAL scale incorrectly. The scale says "good" is 7. A typical anime is good. That's why I watch anime, and not my country's shitty films.

I've yet to see people properly discussing the difference between scoring anime based only on other anime, or based on all works of fiction they have encountered before.
It has been said countless times that the rating is subjective and everyone should be free to rate however they want. Wit this mentality you excuse elitist that criticize whoever gives a 10 to show that for them are "unworthy". Low or high mean score, if you judge somebody else's scores just based on the numbers you are being an elitist.

KonaKoffee said:

People who aren't anime fans don't get the freedom to dislike anime. Just like people who aren't of african descent aren't allowed to use the N-word.
It was mentioned an example by maz, there are people that use only 1 and 2 for bad shows and 3 for average so low scores doesn't necessarily mean what you are implying. And even if somebody thinks that most anime are bad, until he likes some he can be considered an anime fan. The comparison at the end has more holes than a swiss cheese.

kamisama751 said:

You say people shouldn't care about what others think about it but yet you are an "elitist hunter"? Such contradictory.

Nah, it makes sense. People should not care, and you should stop trying to make them care. Especially by abusing them for their choice in anime.
You and some others in this thread are doing the same thing you say elitist do: abusing them for their choice in anime.
If they have reasons for scoring so low what is the problem, who are you to say that such person is not an anime fan? Who are you to say that those scores are not right?
At times you make such hypocritecal comments...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2016 6:09 AM
Jan 2013
I never liked how mal fans these days call something "good writing" just cause it looks cool,"westren relatability"or just cause of their so called "moral high ground"

Screw them.I respect the so called otaku better cause they do actually care about what went on
In the story,on its own merits.

Jun 29, 2016 6:10 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Gesu- said:
Mamster-P said:

wow, tell that to the people who make the same thread topics every week..... then maybe ill disappear.... not that its not other sites on the internet that brought me here in the first place -___-

oh and insecure ppl ive met irl...... them too -___-
Jun 29, 2016 6:11 AM
May 2016
If they hate anime they probably shouldn't be on MAL.
Jun 29, 2016 6:12 AM

Nov 2015
JustArsan said:
Gesu- said:

What makes you think someone watching a lot of OVA/ONA is purely meant to lower their mean score? I watch a lot of OVA and ONA myself, mostly because I want to finish the entirety of any given series.

what the fuck?
what the fuck?
WHAT THE FUCK?
WHAT THE FUCK!!??

Read through my post again, just read through it..
just do it..

A short comedy anime might be exactly what some people are looking for on their weekends, who would I am to ciriticize them for it? I also pick up alot of Short Series / OVA through the seasonal anime. It's more about completionism. The same applies to not dropping anime, even if you rate them as bad or horrible or worse - maybe you're intending to write a review, maybe you want to complete the anime just to be able to argue why the show is good/bad, maybe completionism in itself is something you strive for, or maybe you want to give the anime a chance to get better or you get some other enjoyment out of it.
It's not as if that'd be some foreign concept. Look at some of the platinum gaming trophies out there, which sometimes make you hate even your favorite game.

Who even unironically claims himself to be "elitist"?

That's the exact same thing I was just arguing for a while ago.
You'd find that out if you bothered to read through the thread..
Watch all the fucking ONAs and OVAs you want..
All I was saying is that people exist that watch them only to rate them low and lower their mean scores.
Jun 29, 2016 6:13 AM

Sep 2015
Mamster-P said:

ive seen so many times

completed 25/25

score: 1

THIS ANIME WAS COMPLETE GARBAGE AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT GOT SO POPULAR

when i see that, i just can't help but LMAO... its like..... NO ONE forced you to waste your time if thats all you can say about the show. i mean sure
you have all the right in the world to finish it, but as an entertainment medium, i just can't understand why you'd force yourself

knowing you though im sure you'd have some interesting reasons to keep watching

Sure, their explanation there might not be the best, but there's more to it than what you see at the surface. I'd go into detail and write one of my usual long-winded posts but I really can't be bothered atm lol. Been up since 4:30am, my brain is tired. ^^
Jun 29, 2016 6:15 AM

Nov 2015
Mamster-P said:
Gesu- said:

wow, tell that to the people who make the same thread topics every week..... then maybe ill disappear.... not that its not other sites on the internet that brought me here in the first place -___-

oh and insecure ppl ive met irl...... them too -___-

I don't want you to disappear.
This has been explained to you over a thousand times to you by now.

Have you ever seen me berating on people who have higher mean scores or watch anime just for the oppai?
NO.
I understand that some people just want to enjoy anime without trying to think too hard about it and there's nothing wrong with it.

Likewise, there's nothing wrong with doing the opposite either..
Jun 29, 2016 6:17 AM

Dec 2015
flannan said:

I'm not in the best mental/emotional shape lately.

join the club, fam.

flannan said:

1) It's fine enough argument, in my opinion. I'm not going to give up liking anime, and I'm not going to give up being russian. This is part of who I am.
I do not expect non-anime-fans to appreciate [insert anime name here], and I do not expect americans to appreciate smetana. But both are missing out on good things.

2) Similarly, just because MAL doesn't stop users from having an average rating below 5, it does not mean it's not considered wrong.

umm...we...you see muh man...

There is a difference between having the feeling of never wanting to give up something you love, and then never even having that as an option.
And no, not a "but anime is a part of me" type of option, I am speaking biologically here...

Who decides what score is wrong? You don't, I don't, and nobody else does.
We can only decide for ourselves, so you need to stop with this idea that opinions and taste cannot be that flexible.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 29, 2016 6:26 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Maz said:

Sure, their explanation there might not be the best, but there's more to it than what you see at the surface. I'd go into detail and write one of my usual long-winded posts but I really can't be bothered atm lol. Been up since 4:30am, my brain is tired. ^^

i trust you on this one, but can you really blaming me for being like "WTF? why'd you even watch?" when i see that?

kamisama751 said:

You got tired of it but you will respond anyway? What is the difference between your mentality and the one who finishes some bad shows? Jeez, yu are bashing yourselves. Go make some sense next time. :D

yes, i got tired of constantly seeing things bashed and wondering what the problem was to the point where i had to start asking on here and annoying the shit out of people with my opinions

like ive said before, i can't go anywhere anime related or avoid discussion that won't eventually end up in ppl whining. avoiding AD will not help.

Gesu- said:

I don't want you to disappear.
This has been explained to you over a thousand times to you by now.

Have you ever seen me berating on people who have higher mean scores or watch anime just for the oppai?
NO.
I understand that some people just want to enjoy anime without trying to think too hard about it and there's nothing wrong with it.

Likewise, there's nothing wrong with doing the opposite either..

no one said you did anything wrong, the problem with these things is that they DO affect people. you can't pretend with all the insecurity we see on this site, that people are not affected by other peoples comments, trolling, shitposting or not

lets take the ecchi thing for example, since you know, i never seem to shut up about it, or at least, thats all ppl pay attention to me not shutting up about. anyway NO ONE can deny that theres MANY MANY people out there and on this site who are afraid of what others will think of them if they find out that they like ecchi. correct?

well guess what... its more important to me that the ecchi fans see someone who'll willing to to fight against the hate it gets more so than it is to change anyone's mind, which was never my goal

ive been told many times that i've made people feel better about the things they like in anime, as im obviously not someone who allows themselves to be walked all over. i don't think anyone truly wants to be walked all over. well if i can help ppls self esteem even just a little bit, im going to keep doing it no matter how much backlash i get from ppl with opposing viewpoints
Jun 29, 2016 6:30 AM

Sep 2015
Mamster-P said:
Maz said:

i trust you on this one, but can you really blaming me for being like "WTF? why'd you even watch?" when i see that?

Really just boils down to how well people can argue their position. I think a lot of problems boil down to this; people who aren't good at critiquing and expressing their opinion tar everyone with a bad name. So many problems would be solved if people took a little more time into explaining the whys and hows.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

33 by Zayvex »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 48 minutes ago

13 by Nirinbo »»
7 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 5 hours ago

13 by Zayvex »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

20 by BlueBullet178 »»
19 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 4 hours ago

26 by Horizon248 »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.