Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2016 12:21 AM

Jun 2016
I'll preface this by saying that, being relatively new when it comes to anime, I have some concerns over the size of my to-watch list. It's not at all the largest (perhaps it's not large yet at all) but it's grown past what I can immediately recall, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

So how do you choose what to watch before anything else in particular? From what you've heard about it, or the genre you're in the mood for, a combination of things, or something else entirely?

~

So far I've been operating on genre-mood exclusively, though I have concerns about not remembering enough about certain series when I am in the mood to go to the next production in one, and I'd much rather spend my time watching the new series vs. going back to the old one first to refresh myself (I'm also just not the sort of person who can truly enjoy re-watching things). Thus I get the feeling there's some other approach I could have, though I'm not sure what.
Jun 28, 2016 12:32 AM

Oct 2014
Generally whatever I'm in the mood for. BTW you should prioritize Inou-Battle because it's not that great of an anime (I dropped it 5 episodes in because it got boring). Since you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest you watch Chuunibyou instead because it does a much better job with a similar concept. Whenever you're in the mood for American comedy you should watch Gakkou no Kaidan dubbed because it's hilarious.

Right now I'm not even really working on my PTW list since I've been watching Aikatsu for the last 40 days and still have another 52 episodes left of it (the anime is 178 episodes long).
Jun 28, 2016 12:33 AM

Mar 2016
There is typically at least 1 anime in each genre you "have to" watch. So, pick those out first. Then, pick what genre you're in the mood for. Then choose the anime that corresponds with that genre. Go from there and enjoy the show. Hope that helps.
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Jun 28, 2016 12:38 AM

May 2015
What I recently watched tends to determine what I'll watch. I just finished Paranoia Agent and Shinsekai Yori. Both were heavy on the gloom, psychology and darkness. So now I'm aiming for something lighter (Mashiroiro Symphony) and some Shoujo. I don't want to watch too much similar stuff in one go. I'm afraid they'll blur.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 28, 2016 12:39 AM

Mar 2016
I'd recommed watching whatever you feel like watching, and after you're in a spot where you can't decide, just watch one of the more popular ones. As for me, I just watch a light-hearted anime followed by a darker/more serious anime and I repeat this cycle
Jun 28, 2016 12:42 AM
Jun 2016
i'll sometimes just watch about 3 episodes of a certain anime to watch and if i don't like it in those 3 episodes i don't watch it but if i do i watch it.
Jun 28, 2016 2:35 AM
Apr 2016
yes. because i won't waste my time to watch bored show
Jun 28, 2016 2:47 AM

Aug 2015
For me.

Finish Watching a few Episodes of an anime I'm already watching > Watch whatever TV show is aired > Start watching an Anime I know I won't drop for sure > Take a gamble with a recommended anime and start watching it.

Currently Atm, I've been finishing I'm:

Was chipping away at Bokurano > About to watch 12 Monkeys/Braindead TV Series > Watch Episode 0 of one of the Fate/Zero series and get started
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Jun 28, 2016 2:51 AM

Dec 2015
I try to balance serious anime, light hearted anime and in betweeners so if I finished for example a more serious anime I pick a random serious anime from my list.
Jun 28, 2016 2:59 AM

Apr 2010
As I don't even remember what is on my list, I go one by one and ask my self what I feel like watching. Sometimes I also delete some of them.

Jun 28, 2016 3:34 AM

Oct 2014
I watch whatever I feel like just like with films knowing there's always gonna be a ton of great stuff waiting for me and I'll get to it eventually. My opinion is usually that you'll most enjoy a thing when the choice to watch it is at least somewhat spontaneous or brought on by what ever mood you happen to be in at the time.
noGiAnimeJun 28, 2016 3:44 AM
Jun 28, 2016 3:54 AM
Dec 2015
I have to watch anime at least 4 hours a day, I always put anime on my phone so I can watch it on bus or car. My school is pretty much far from home, so I use my time on the way there to maintain my anime. Hehe

😎😎
Jun 28, 2016 4:21 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Depends on mood....

I prioritize GAR anime over Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime if I'm in the mood to see some manly and explosive action and vice versa

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 28, 2016 4:23 AM

Dec 2012
I just watch whatever I feel like when it comes to finished anime.
When watching airing anime I tend to watch the bad ones then on to the good ones as a sort of main event lol.
Jun 28, 2016 4:28 AM

Aug 2010
I just go with the flow, whatever I am in a mood for I will watch.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Jun 28, 2016 4:52 AM

Oct 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
What I recently watched tends to determine what I'll watch. I just finished Paranoia Agent and Shinsekai Yori. Both were heavy on the gloom, psychology and darkness. So now I'm aiming for something lighter (Mashiroiro Symphony) and some Shoujo. I don't want to watch too much similar stuff in one go. I'm afraid they'll blur.

Very similar to this. I haven't watched all that much anime but even so, I only continue to watch anime because I constantly watch stuff of different styles and genres. It's the main way of preventing myself from getting burned out.
Jun 28, 2016 5:13 AM

Feb 2013
When I start watching an anime I finish it without starting another one, without counting the seasonal ones.
Jun 28, 2016 5:58 AM

Mar 2015
If I feel like I want to watch certain series, I will watch it.
If I dont have anything want to watch, I just randomly choose a anime from plan to watch list. Of course the genre varies. If I watched action, next will be romance. This will keep going with different kinds of variety and genre.
Jun 28, 2016 6:01 AM
Dec 2015
It is simply...You don't:) Glad i could help^^
Jun 28, 2016 6:27 AM
Mar 2016
I prioritize by series length generally. For example, Erased (12 episodes) takes priority over Assassination Classroom (22 episodes). If there is a long running shonen such as One Piece, I watch a few episodes, about 2-3, in between the marathoning of others.
Jun 28, 2016 6:58 AM

Jun 2012
I'll pick the one w/ the coolest title.
Jun 28, 2016 7:02 AM

Jan 2016
It's all about what you're in the mood in. At least that's how I do things.
Jun 28, 2016 7:14 AM

Dec 2015
I'll put stuff I really want to watch in my PTW list.

Then never look at them again and watch something completely different.

Jun 28, 2016 7:16 AM

Nov 2009
TKB928 said:
I'll preface this by saying that, being relatively new when it comes to anime, I have some concerns over the size of my to-watch list. It's not at all the largest (perhaps it's not large yet at all) but it's grown past what I can immediately recall, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

So how do you choose what to watch before anything else in particular? From what you've heard about it, or the genre you're in the mood for, a combination of things, or something else entirely?

~

So far I've been operating on genre-mood exclusively, though I have concerns about not remembering enough about certain series when I am in the mood to go to the next production in one, and I'd much rather spend my time watching the new series vs. going back to the old one first to refresh myself (I'm also just not the sort of person who can truly enjoy re-watching things). Thus I get the feeling there's some other approach I could have, though I'm not sure what.

Don't worry. I've been doing it just like you do, for over 700 titles already. Except that I don't have problems re-watching stuff, especially if I have forgotten it. Works well enough.
Jun 28, 2016 7:32 AM

Jul 2015
Just whatever I feel like watching. Although I make sure my PTW list is pretty small because if not, I get overwhelmed.
Jun 28, 2016 7:46 AM

Mar 2016
I've been sorting my list by "Last Updated" and watch in chronological order starting with the earliest on the list. This is probably the worst way to do it, but it makes me feel good.
Jun 28, 2016 8:17 AM

Nov 2015
If I happen to hear about a show one day I'd go out of my way to check wtf it's about.
Then I'd start watching videos about it and my interest gradually increases until I can't hold it in anymore and I absolutely have to start watching it..
Jun 28, 2016 8:23 AM

Jun 2016
Out of nowhere it just pops up in my mind ''I want to watch [insert name here]!'' and that's pretty much it.
Jun 28, 2016 8:27 AM

May 2016
Shows I want to watch (or feel obligated to watch, Orange) are put onto my PTW list. Then I pick one I really wanna watch, one I kinda wanna, one I really wanna, one I kinda wanna, etc.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 28, 2016 8:28 AM

Jan 2016
At first I was watching what I was recommended the most, then my PtW expanded a lot, I decided to remember the order I added everything and watch in that order.....

Now after a break, I thought I'll watch everything from A to Z, but I failed that and I'm watching what I think could be the best for me, even though, sometimes I'm like 'oh, I watched enough ecchi, now I want some action, romance or drama'..

I dunno how exactly to describe the way I choose to watch anime.. You can simply pick randomly, if you can't decide, lel
Jun 28, 2016 8:38 AM

Dec 2015
Movies and 12 episode series are usually the first things I go to on my PTW list because they are quicker to get out of the way.
It means I have a less cluttered list but I rarely get around to 24 episode series.
Jun 28, 2016 8:43 AM

Jan 2014
Depends on what I am the mood for. If its not a seasonal anime, I usually go about in 1 of 2 ways
1. I rotate between sub and dub anime
I feel like I watch so many japanese shows, I need to listen to some english once in awhile to keep myself from going crazy. I can usually fill in the dub void with a cartoon or a American TV series.
2. I rotate between calm slow anime or action packed fast paced anime
In the calm category I will usually go with a drama or a slice-of-life and action packed is obviously shounen, adventure, sci-fi, thrillers, etc...
Sometimes I use a combination of my 2 ways and look for a dub action anime, a sub slice-of-life etc....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2016 9:00 AM

Oct 2011
If I keep encountering a title whether it be from recommendations or discussions, I tend to start watching it.
Jul 2, 2016 7:43 AM

Feb 2016
Simply by deciding after my personal enjoyment.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 5 hours ago

15 by Starchaser »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

169 by Jackson1333 »»
4 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 10 hours ago

6 by Nirinbo »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

18 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 1 hour ago

6 by MedK001 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.