Forum Settings
Forums

Why are anime fans today tend to be so intolerant of extreme Violence and rape in anime?

New
Jun 27, 2016 9:24 PM

Nov 2011
Let me use the Violence Jack anime ovas as an example. While I get that they are of poor quality they are basically b rated exploitation flicks focused on over the top Violence, sex, and being campy. These are quite old anime but it's funny to me how many anime fans today go back and watch these anime and are actually shocked and repulsed by the graphic Violence and rape. I mean the ova's are trash but thats kinda what they were supposed to be much like Ilsa She Wolf of the SS or The Toxic Avenger (A film in which a young boy getting ran over and having his head crushed under the wheel is played for laughs).

I dunno I just think today with all the fucked up stuff we hear about and see online most people would be more desensitized towards this kinda thing especially when Berserk is our highest rated manga here.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 27, 2016 9:27 PM

Nov 2014
It is popular to act like a pussy now days.

Jun 27, 2016 9:32 PM

May 2016
It's all about the context. Berserk takes extremely risque material and does great things with it, while 99% of other anime/manga writers that go for the same risque material couldn't write themselves out of a paper bag.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 27, 2016 10:05 PM

Nov 2011
It got deleted. I'm sad now. It was a lovely contribution.
Jun 27, 2016 10:11 PM

Mar 2014
People think ideas that bother them should be censored. Basically ExTemplar and Kamisma's replies. I also don't think a show embracing extreme violence and rape is anything praiseworthy.
Jun 27, 2016 10:17 PM

Nov 2011
merryfistmas said:
People think ideas that bother them should be censored. Basically ExTemplar and Kamisma's replies. I also don't think a show embracing extreme violence and rape is anything praiseworthy.
What do you think of Berserk then???
Jun 27, 2016 10:21 PM

Nov 2015
Because people are over-sensitive and they don't realize that such shows aren't targeted at impressionable young children.
The viewers are supposed to be mature adults.

Also I'm yet to come across an anime that condones extreme violence and/or rape..
Jun 27, 2016 10:25 PM

Jul 2015
Because they are weak little sensitive bitches
Sup...
Jun 27, 2016 10:27 PM

Jun 2016
Because they're spineless pussies who need to harden the fuck up!

Joking aside, I think it depends on the individual. Some people just can't stomach blood and gore/extreme violence. To each their own I guess.

Me personally, I'm a metalhead who plays games like Brutal Doom on a regular basis, so I love extreme violence!
Jun 27, 2016 10:28 PM

Nov 2011
Gesu- said:
Because people are over-sensitive and they don't realize that such shows aren't targeted at impressionable young children.

Also I'm yet to come across an anime that condones extreme violence and/or rape..

I don't know any that condone extreme Violence and rape but there are those that exploit it for entertainment purposes.
Jun 27, 2016 10:29 PM

Apr 2014
Because you can't have rape and bloody violence in moe anime, and it's moe anime that tends to sell these days.
Jun 27, 2016 10:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because the SWJ crowd has a voice now and the "everything is offensive" squad is on the rise

the future is looking grim -___-
Jun 27, 2016 10:32 PM

Nov 2011
Lost_Viking said:

Joking aside, I think it depends on the individual. Some people just can't stomach blood and gore/extreme violence. To each their own I guess.

Me personally, I'm a metalhead who plays games like Brutal Doom on a regular basis, so I love extreme violence!

I think everyone who listens to German Thrash metal likes gore. The two just go together.

Protaku said:
Because you can't have rape and bloody violence in moe anime, and it's moe anime that tends to sell these days.

When they cry?

Jun 2014
Because they can't handle it. If you can't handle it, stick to stuff that doesn't have it. Why do you want to watch gore knowing that you don't like it? I know that I can't handle too much scary shit so I tend to avoid it, with few exceptions of course.
(Not directed to anyone in particular)

Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
merryfistmas said:
I love it, it's one of my favorite shows. When I say it's not praiseworthy, I don't mean it's bad, more along the lines of Zelkiiro's comment, it depends what it does with it. In the case of Berserk, Guts' childhood is integral to who he is as an adult. Aversion to touch due to him being abused, as well as his whole mercenary camp backstory giving a lot of insight into what life is like/has been like for the other characters. His aversion to touch (an also Casca's)is also meaningful when Casca sleeps next to him to keep him warm and when he does the same for her. Rather than being used to put tits in your face, they choose to show us character traits. And of course, the violence throughout is necessary in a medieval war setting. I could go on and on about how much I love Berserk and why every instance of violence is either important or fitting for the story, but the point is Berserk chooses compelling characters over shock value.
Jun 27, 2016 10:33 PM

Nov 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Gesu- said:

I don't know any that condone extreme Violence and rape but there are those that exploit it for entertainment purposes.

What're you talking about fam?
Anime is entertainment.
Jun 27, 2016 10:33 PM

Sep 2012
For the same reason I'm intolerant of sticking my face in the garbage can.
Jun 27, 2016 10:37 PM

Nov 2011
merryfistmas said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
I love it, it's one of my favorite shows. When I say it's not praiseworthy, I don't mean it's bad, more along the lines of Zelkiiro's comment, it depends what it does with it. In the case of Berserk, Guts' childhood is integral to who he is as an adult. Aversion to touch due to him being abused, as well as his whole mercenary camp backstory giving a lot of insight into what life is like/has been like for the other characters. His aversion to touch (an also Casca's)is also meaningful when Casca sleeps next to him to keep him warm and when he does the same for her. Rather than being used to put tits in your face, they choose to show us character traits. And of course, the violence throughout is necessary in a medieval war setting. I could go on and on about how much I love Berserk and why every instance of violence is either important or fitting for the story, but the point is Berserk chooses compelling characters over shock value.

While I agree for the most part I do think it's false to say that Berserk particularly the manga didn't use shock value or go out of its way to stick in graphic Violence and rape. I do think it chose to use them in a clever way and didn't rely entirely on shock value but it is exploitive.
Jun 27, 2016 10:38 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:

I don't follow where you're getting at.
Jun 27, 2016 10:39 PM

Nov 2011
Gesu- said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Anime is entertainment.

Yes but I meant some try to entertain you with scenes of graphic Violence and rape rather than just use them in moderate levels for story telling sake.
Jun 27, 2016 10:40 PM

Sep 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
Red_Keys said:

Go put your head in the garbage and you might get an idea.
Jun 27, 2016 10:41 PM

Jan 2009
I have no prob with ultra violence, heck I actually like it.
As for rape scenes they don't really bother me that much, but I don't particulary like them either.

I guessing it's mainly 'cus it's popular to get offended by EVERYTHING

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jun 27, 2016 10:41 PM

Jan 2015
If they're pussies and dislike violence in anime, what will they do if they watched something from BestGore....= crying? Covering their eyes?? Scared af.....damn, I love BestGore, atleast it is real....
Jun 27, 2016 10:44 PM

Nov 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Gesu- said:

Anime is entertainment.

Yes but I meant some try to entertain you with scenes of graphic Violence and rape rather than just use them in moderate levels for story telling sake.

Well I mean graphic violence and rape can be entertaining if portrayed right.
Again, it's not condoning it or anything and it's supposed to be watched by responsible adults that know that it's not even an accurate portrayal of things that happen in real life.
Jun 27, 2016 10:49 PM

Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
merryfistmas said:

While I agree for the most part I do think it's false to say that Berserk particularly the manga didn't use shock value or go out of its way to stick in graphic Violence and rape. I do think it chose to use them in a clever way and didn't rely entirely on shock value but it is exploitive.
I've yet to read the manga, but it's true they do use a lot of rape, or the threat of and sometimes I think "I get it, Casca has do deal with the threat of rape 24/7", so I kind of see what you mean but to be fair, any women in that setting (and a lot of dudes tbh)would have the possibility of rape hanging over their head at all times. As far as the blood and Guts hacking people up, some of the fights are entertaining (I love me some fight scenes) and Zodd brutalizing Guts' men makes him that much more terrifying. Maybe it'd be helpful if you specified when you thought the anime was going for shock value.
Jun 27, 2016 10:58 PM

Nov 2011
merryfistmas said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I've yet to read the manga, but it's true they do use a lot of rape, or the threat of and sometimes I think "I get it, Casca has do deal with the threat of rape 24/7", so I kind of see what you mean but to be fair, any women in that setting (and a lot of dudes tbh)would have the possibility of rape hanging over their head at all times. As far as the blood and Guts hacking people up, some of the fights are entertaining (I love me some fight scenes) and Zodd brutalizing Guts' men makes him that much more terrifying. Maybe it'd be helpful if you specified when you thought the anime was going for shock value.

I can barely remember the graphic scenes in the anime. I more so remember them in the manga tbh. I do remember images of Casca getting raped that came off as fan service. I'm not saying this is a negative aspect again just saying it is made to appeal to the ultra Violence audience.

Red_Keys said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Go put your head in the garbage and you might get an idea.
Is this something you do often? I'm not sure I wanna try.
Jun 27, 2016 11:08 PM

Jul 2012
I don't see the problem with graphic violence, aside from terrible censors. Which for me personally causes me to avoid shows that may contain them until well after the blu-rays release. But it's also a case of cheap shock factor or simply for the sake of being edgy kind of creates a much more negative connotation from an entertainment perspective.
As for rape though I would say it's very hit or miss. People tend to not be a fan of it though when it's applied to H anime and I'd imagine it's even harder to air on TV. I mean even in live action films/movies it's extremely controversial to show moreso than it was in past decades where rape was often creepily playful. I could kind of see it being comparable to another trope that was common in films like pre-90s. That particular trope being that it was completely acceptable for a husband to casually beat his wife, which is heavily frowned upon now.
So it's just simply changing times, morals, etc. Not necessarily a bad or a good thing, it just happens. Like how pre-1900s kissing in public was extremely indecent.
Jun 27, 2016 11:15 PM

Apr 2016
ExTemplar said:
It is popular to act like a pussy now days.

Pretty much the undeniable truth. While I can agree to a certain extent that violence is often cheaply used to draw sympathy, there are several shows that have a violence factor to emphasize the realism of their stories. Those who are intolerable fail to understand that even worse stuff has happened in the past or still happens today. They're simply in denial.
Jun 27, 2016 11:43 PM

Apr 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Lost_Viking said:

I think everyone who listens to German Thrash metal likes gore. The two just go together.

Protaku said:

When they cry?

Well there was no rape in Higurashi, but it was quite violent anyway and I'm assuming it sold well enough since it managed to garner a second season unlike Umineko. But then I look at more recent similar anime like Gakkou Gurashi and still ponder why the anime still can't sell well with the moe. But of course there will always be exceptions.
Jun 27, 2016 11:48 PM

Jul 2013
People it's very sensitive those days. I have read some people who thinks that AoT's deaths are horrifying and very dark. That it's because they didn't watched Blood-C or those gory OVAs from the 80/90.
Jun 27, 2016 11:54 PM

Apr 2016
Because yikes and because people are allowed to feel uneasy around displays of unconsensual sex and the undermining of bodily agency.
Jun 28, 2016 12:23 AM

Nov 2011
hat-and-goggles said:
Because yikes and because people are allowed to feel uneasy around displays of unconsensual sex and the undermining of bodily agency.
Yeah but why complain about graphic Violence in an anime called Violence Jack? I can understand if the Violence and rape come out of nowhere or just feel out of place but when you watch something like Violence Jack or Genocyber id like to think you know what you're getting into.
Jun 28, 2016 12:41 AM

May 2015
Because this generation may understand that violence and rape aren't easy subjects. People do get hurt. People do suffer from trauma from this and we shouldn't get desensitized to them so easily. I don't mind an exploitation film here and there, but these ARE serious subjects and should be treated as such.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 28, 2016 12:48 AM

Dec 2012
The better question to ask is what was going through the minds of people who thought extreme violence and rape should be a norm in anime? It doesn't make things meaningful, cool, or exciting by default.
Jun 28, 2016 12:53 AM

Nov 2009
AssassinWolfXE said:
Because they can't handle it. If you can't handle it, stick to stuff that doesn't have it. Why do you want to watch gore knowing that you don't like it? I know that I can't handle too much scary shit so I tend to avoid it, with few exceptions of course.

Yeah, so you sit there, watching a harem anime (like Higurashi), a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime (like Gakkou Gurashi), or a action anime about a schoolgirl with a katana (Blood-C)... and suddenly - gore! violence! rape!
Well, in most anime, rape is stopped soon enough, but, for example, in SAO if lasted long enough to make me uncomfortable. (which might be more about NTR aspect than rape aspect, but probably both)

Illyricus said:
People it's very sensitive those days. I have read some people who thinks that AoT's deaths are horrifying and very dark. That it's because they didn't watched Blood-C or those gory OVAs from the 80/90.

Didsclaimer: I have dropped AoT after the 1 episode. It had too much violent deaths, and too few reasons for me to actually watch it. I did complete Blood-C TV, but I haven't seen the movie yet.

While Blood-C might be more bloody, violent and stuff, it doesn't mean AoT is not violent or bloody.
Just because Panty Strike Witches exist, doesn't mean all other anime should lose the "ecchi" label. (In case you aren't familiar with Panty Strike Witches: many anime have short skirts that occasionally show the panties underneath them. In Strike Witches, skirts are not fashionable any more, and all the women go showing their panties all the time)

Waifu_Strangler said:
merryfistmas said:

Berserk is good in spite of using this much gore and sex, not because of them. Well, I suppose some people might like these elements of Berserk too. I just like the MC's badassery.
Jun 28, 2016 12:58 AM

Jun 2014
flannan said:
AssassinWolfXE said:

Yeah, so you sit there, watching a harem anime (like Higurashi), a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime (like Gakkou Gurashi), or a action anime about a schoolgirl with a katana (Blood-C)... and suddenly - gore! violence! rape!
Well, in most anime, rape is stopped soon enough, but, for example, in SAO if lasted long enough to make me uncomfortable. (which might be more about NTR aspect than rape aspect, but probably both)

Try and read the reviews so that you at least know what you're going to watch. Anyone who didn't know Higurashi was horror was a fool, Myself included. After that, I started to carefully read non spoiler reviews to know what I will be getting myself into.
Jun 28, 2016 12:59 AM
Jun 2016
The only reason why I wouldn't mind it in an anime - not every anime, but a select few - is if the violence and/or rape is important to a character's development, whether it happens in their past or in the show's "present" because it shapes them to be who they are.

When it's just there for the sake of being there, I have a huge problem with it. It serves no purpose except to be wank material for people into torture porn.
Jun 28, 2016 1:00 AM

May 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Let me use the Violence Jack anime ovas as an example. While I get that they are of poor quality they are basically b rated exploitation flicks focused on over the top Violence, sex, and being campy. These are quite old anime but it's funny to me how many anime fans today go back and watch these anime and are actually shocked and repulsed by the graphic Violence and rape. I mean the ova's are trash but thats kinda what they were supposed to be much like Ilsa She Wolf of the SS or The Toxic Avenger (A film in which a young boy getting ran over and having his head crushed under the wheel is played for laughs).

this has to do with someone running into something they should be well aware of it's basic elements, without liking those elements.

so there's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking super-over-the-top squemish gore, generally speaking, like the berserk example. but you're right someone who doesn't like over the top violence shouldn't watch an anime who's identity is over the top violence like violence jack. (notably not berserk) (im assuming it is)

I dunno I just think today with all the fucked up stuff we hear about and see online most people would be more desensitized towards this kinda thing especially when Berserk is our highest rated manga here.

Why are anime fans today tend to be so intolerant of extreme Violence and rape in anime?

well would you look at that. it's certainty way easier to tolerate violence on paper than in action even if it's animated, though the anime's pretty squeamish too.

also the reason, judging almost purely by the question asked in the title, is pretty obvious. it's not a pretty sight, why would people be more tolerant towards ugly sights? "why don't people tend to not tolerate brain bashing violence and explicit sexual assault". figure it out.
ashfrliebertJun 28, 2016 1:04 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 28, 2016 1:04 AM

Apr 2016
Waifu_Strangler said:
hat-and-goggles said:
Yeah but why complain about graphic Violence in an anime called Violence Jack? I can understand if the Violence and rape come out of nowhere or just feel out of place but when you watch something like Violence Jack or Genocyber id like to think you know what you're getting into.

I know, that's why I actively avoid shows like that. But the question asked is "why", so that's the answer I gave.
Jun 28, 2016 1:08 AM
Aug 2015
Maybe because its immoral to be entertained by such things. Graphic violence used for the sake of being entertained by someone else's pain or death is just completely horrible and detestable. You can say i'm a pussy or just can handle it, but the fact is, when i was younger i used to watch stuff like that all the time and it didn't bother me, because i was to young and immature to understand the importance of life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2016 1:09 AM

Nov 2009
AssassinWolfXE said:
flannan said:

Try and read the reviews so that you at least know what you're going to watch. Anyone who didn't know Higurashi was horror was a fool, Myself included. After that, I started to carefully read non spoiler reviews to know what I will be getting myself into.

Well, I knew things weren't going to be so simple in Gakkou Gurashi, but since I was watching it while it was on-going, there were no reviews to tell me what it was all about, and if the girls have plot armor.
I think I saw Blood-C as an ongoing too, and the first few episodes didn't indicate that anything was going to be wrong with it. I mean, Blood movie wasn't that bad.
With Higurashi, I think my friends tricked me into watching it. And it was the scariest, so I haven't actually finished it.

On the other hand of the "not watch" argument, there are anime with both appealing and not appealing parts. Triage X contains an irresistible "kill the shit out of crime" component, and the "bad guys are really bad. Have some half-naked women beaten and/or raped to prove it" component. I don't think we really had to see the second component.
Jun 28, 2016 1:11 AM
Aug 2015
tarklovishki said:
The only reason why I wouldn't mind it in an anime - not every anime, but a select few - is if the violence and/or rape is important to a character's development, whether it happens in their past or in the show's "present" because it shapes them to be who they are.

When it's just there for the sake of being there, I have a huge problem with it. It serves no purpose except to be wank material for people into torture porn.
my thoughts exactly, i've tried to get that point across many times but people just don't understand it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2016 1:38 AM

Nov 2011
ilovewendy16 said:
Maybe because its immoral to be entertained by such things. Graphic violence used for the sake of being entertained by someone else's pain or death is just completely horrible and detestable. You can say i'm a pussy or just can handle it, but the fact is, when i was younger i used to watch stuff like that all the time and it didn't bother me, because i was to young and immature to understand the importance of life.

There's a difference between enjoying something in fiction and enjoying it in real life. Most people who like seeing brains get splattered in movies don't actually like seeing people die in real life. A lot of folks with rape fetishes don't actually think people getting raped is inherently a good thing.
Jun 28, 2016 2:16 AM
Aug 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
ilovewendy16 said:

There's a difference between enjoying something in fiction and enjoying it in real life. Most people who like seeing brains get splattered in movies don't actually like seeing people die in real life. A lot of folks with rape fetishes don't actually think people getting raped is inherently a good thing.
It doesn't matter if its fiction or reality. Just liking it at all is horrible.
Jun 28, 2016 2:18 AM

Dec 2015
lol come on strangler!

tbh it's just uncomfortable to watch rape in anime because it's fucking torture.
Ofc I don't cringe the same way I do when I see it in actual films, but it's still uncomfortable to watch.
Although, sometimes it can be essential to the plot (depending upon the context of the scene) so even if it makes me uncomfortable I'm not the type to say "TAKE IT OUT AND BAN THAT ANIMU!".

Although, I enjoy violence in anime like bloody shit and whatnot. I think everyone loves a good fight scene.

ilovewendy16 said:

When it's just there for the sake of being there, I have a huge problem with it. It serves no purpose except to be wank material for people into torture porn..

I agree 100%
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 28, 2016 2:22 AM

May 2016
Isn't being an edgelord a popular thing these days?.......where do you guys get the idea that people are becoming more pussylike?
Jun 28, 2016 2:23 AM

Oct 2015
Anime is also a means of escapism. Some people don't want to escape into a world of horrific acts. Also, given the predominant amount of English speaking anime fans are from the West, they wouldn't have much experience with seeing brutal acts of violence, especially against women, because the culture avoids it and deems it the most reprehensible type of violence there is. Even if they say treat women equal to men.
Jun 28, 2016 2:32 AM

Dec 2015
GoldenKappa said:
Isn't being an edgelord a popular thing these days?.......where do you guys get the idea that people are becoming more pussylike?

that's what I thought!
All I see anyone on these forums do is brag about their love of edgy things and edgy activities.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 28, 2016 2:33 AM

Jun 2013
I'll be honest , as a woman I'm uncomfortable when it comes to rape in anime/hentai but I cannot be intolerant because it's animation and no one is actually getting raped. Unless you're into 2D.

But if you're some sick psycho that acts out his fantasies in real life (I don't care if you're male or female), I hope you get put down like a dog.
Jun 28, 2016 2:36 AM

Sep 2015
I don't see that many people who seem to have issues with extreme violence and rape. I see the odd person complaining about it, but they're hardly prolific.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

47 by Toooooooooohru »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

49 by Lampblasted »»
2 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

42 by MichaelJackson »»
6 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 9 minutes ago

1 by Otakupervert890 »»
6 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

68 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.