Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2016 11:50 AM

Jan 2015
I've liked Subaru so far but now he's just becoming really annoying. I hope he's not going to be a retard like that from now on.
Jun 26, 2016 11:52 AM

Apr 2010
Subaru's status:
☐ Not REKT
☑ REKT
Jun 26, 2016 11:53 AM
Aug 2014
I liked teh episode but in that episode subaru was a little bit annoying, he didn't know when he should back out and made everything worse with every word that came out of his mouth that disappointed me a little. He also fucked up big time at the end of the episode with emilia...
Jun 26, 2016 11:53 AM

Jul 2014
Well basically everyones comment will go on like this because of Subaru
Jun 26, 2016 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, subaru was quite stupid this episode.

Oh and considering how rushed this part of the arc was (so they can have more time later on).

I would highly recommend reading the manga version of this part (the royal election), it goes into more detail about each candidate and their reasons for wanting to be queen.
Jun 26, 2016 11:55 AM

May 2009
Guys, stop bringing up Akame ga Kill. Even if you hate anime original ending there manga is slowly becoming worse then that.
Jun 26, 2016 11:56 AM
Mar 2011
It kind of felt like forced conflicted like it did not fit. I get he effectively has pts but i do not get why no one see that or that he has no ideal how that world works.
Jun 26, 2016 11:57 AM

Jul 2015
Subaru was a complete fucking mess this episode. I think he did everything because he feels like he has to prove that he really cares about Emilia. Of course to him he is doing it for her but it kind of seems like his intention shifted a bit to where he feels he has to prove it
Jun 26, 2016 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
Subaro didn't want to admit he's a loser. Hahahah. He might've been helping himself more by helping Emilia and the others. By making himself believe he's better than he really is.
Jun 26, 2016 11:58 AM

Jul 2015
Jski said:
It kind of felt like forced conflicted like it did not fit. I get he effectively has pts but i do not get why no one see that or that he has no ideal how that world works.
yeah that conflict at the end felt really forced tbh
Jun 26, 2016 12:03 PM

Jan 2008
Subaru was just a complete mess this episode. smh

Aug 2014
Damn Subaru, you dun goofing up now. That really was just plain stupid from his side, especially his arrogance.

Mar 2015
The guy has some issue kid, don't go near him.

Jul 2015
Well, he did it to defend Emilia, who was solely discriminated on. The manga and LN does a better job at presenting the gravity of the situation.
Here for everyone who wants to see, how the situation went like in the manga:
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jun 26, 2016 12:05 PM

Jul 2014
iRels said:
Subaro didn't want to admit he's a loser. Hahahah. He might've been helping himself more by helping Emilia and the others. By making himself believe he's better than he really is.

^This, worded it perfectly, then again can we blame him? dude literally thinks he's the main reason why everything's been ok up until now so he thinks Emilia owes him bigtime.
Jun 26, 2016 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Another absolutely fantastic episode, and Subaru acting like a crazy man being absolutely obsessive over a girlfriend.
Jun 26, 2016 12:07 PM
Dec 2015
Shi-rho said:
Even though the episode and especially Subaru's actions until the end were incredibly cringy, this episode, in my eyes, was the best one of the series so far.

And that's because of the end, when Subaru went insane, and FINALLY let some of his selfish thoughts out. Finally. It took forever! I can only speak for myself here, but I thought this was the most "human" reaction I have ever seen in an anime. Subaru works his ass off all the time, even dies, all for the sake of someone who never will understand his pain, that person, even though she is not to blame for this, wants to cut ties with him and doesn't get what he went through. He even went so far as to make up the excuse of doing it for her, just so he can lie to himself to keep going and not go insane after all his horrible experiences.

When he snapped, now that was perfect. It was a perfectly human reaction. Do you (= whoever reads this xD) not sometimes, at least partly, think that people should be grateful for what you do for them, after you constantly help them out? Shouting that out, and telling Emilia that she should be god-damn grateful, was the most natural reaction anyone in his situation could have ever had. He is just a normal guy after all, not a generic-af hero who shrugs off everything and doesn't get any mental problems, or just slight mental problems.

But still, watching it hurt like hell, as he essentially destroyed everything he built up xD Life, y u gotta be so diffcult?

--> 10/10. I love it. This might easily be the best scene I have watched in anime so far. <--

I agree. His inner selfishness shows out and though some might feel that it felt forced/over the top (well he always is, right from the very beginning), personally, it made Subaru that much more human.

Right now, I feel disgusted at Subaru's behaviour and Emilia has every right to blow her top at him. After all, she had dreams to become the ruler and change things around the country but Subaru (whom she had place a lot of faith in) went and screwed things up (making her appear in a bad light). And yet, he proclaims that he is doing this all for her. This is him being selfish alright and all those angry words that he spoke to her just proved how off tracked he went. It will be interesting to see how he slowly redeems himself to Emilia (Hopefully a step by step process and not through a instant reset).

Hope to see Subaru's gradual development in the future episodes and also to see him sink further into despair (?).
Jul 2018
Snappynator said:
Damn Subaru, you dun goofing up now. That really was just plain stupid from his side, especially his arrogance.

You forget your common sense while protecting your LN waifu. Can't help mayte.
Jul 2018
Sometimes791 said:
Well, he did it to defend Emilia, who was solely discriminated on. The manga and LN does a better job at presenting the gravity of the situation.

Lol. He was even more stupid.

But that's it? There was also the part with Julius, right? Guess so.

Jul 2015
And from now on, the third arc finally begins. Let Subaru's development commence! And the new ED is meh. -.-

May 2013
Can anyone help me understand where the hate for Emillia is coming from? Like seriously after all the shit Subaru did this episode, people hate Emillia in the end? Keep in mind I'm not a ''emillia best waifu''' guy since I knew this was coming and I still like her as a character, but 80% of the people who were calling her best waifu now call her a bitch. Even if u haven't read the LN how can u blame her after all the shit Subaru said? I really don't get how weeb society works

Anyway as always great episode. Looking forward to more Reinhard and Felt
Jun 26, 2016 12:09 PM
Jun 2015
10/10 episode I got to watch subaru get beat up

Oct 2007
MozillaFennekin said:
Being Subaru is generally suffering, but he fucking deserved it this time.

This, also the event was soo important, but all the people were just there, watching all that offtopic bullshit without any complain.

Is it a problem of the adaptation? Is the original content better in this regard?

Aug 2014
iRels said:
Sometimes791 said:

Huh, Roswaal seems far more manipulative/having ill intentions in the manga than in the anime. Is this also the case with the LN?

striderzz said:
Snappynator said:

You forget your common sense while protecting your LN waifu. Can't help mayte.
Oh yeah right. #EmiliaBestGirl #EmiliaDeepAndComplex #EmiliaGreatestCharacterThisYear etc. etc.
Jun 26, 2016 12:10 PM

Jul 2015
iRels said:

Where? In the manga I could understand his reasons.

And as for Julius, yes, it was just as retarded as in the manga. :D
Jun 26, 2016 12:11 PM

Dec 2013
Now that people are mentioning removed scenes I am very tempted to just go ahead and read the novel, should I?
Jun 26, 2016 12:11 PM

Jan 2008
Re:zero Ep 13 was like: Good job Suabru, you fucked up everything :D
Jun 26, 2016 12:12 PM

Mar 2016
why does every episode make me so emotional
Jun 26, 2016 12:13 PM

Nov 2011
"He's not my attendant."
God damn this episode hurt my heart.
Also fuck Priscilla she is a bitch!
Emlia just understand SUBARU'S FEELINGS DAMMIT T_T
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 2015
BokuNoHawky said:
Now that people are mentioning removed scenes I am very tempted to just go ahead and read the novel, should I?

You could also read the manga. The chapters covered in the 13th episode are 5-9.

Jul 2007
Wow was this edgy. I expected politics and subterfuge - I got characters shouting at each other and being dramatic. Oh well.

There's not enough facepalms at Subaru this episode. This is Shinji Ikari level of cringy pitiful. Character assassination at it's finest. If Show wanted me to want Subaru die painfully, I guess it succeeded. I am not sure WANTING the protagonist that the viewer should relate to and care for to get murdered is something any narrative should strive for.

If last episode Subaru was just idiotic, this episode he went completely and utterly retarded. There's no excuse or justification for the shit he did and I literally can see Subaru of Arc 2 slapping this idiot fuckboy in the face, because to way in hell they are the same person.

In two episodes, Subaru went from one of better MCs this season to total and complete trash.

Anyway moving on from that human fecal matter of a person, we finally clear up why Felt was taken and see the insignia flash and get it explained. Too bad it was spoiled by LN readers, eh?

Emilia continues to have only "I CARE A LOT I DO" as her personality. AT least her putting Shitsain of MC in his proper place was decent, although EVEN THAT was all about "aww I care so much for you and you keep destoying yourself, :(". I really hope there's more to her personality than "aww he cared for me as a normal person" because I am sorry that does not fly. And yet again most of her screentime this episode can be interpreted as either typical pure waifu or manipulative troll.

The pink haired dude is giving even stronger SAO-Sugou ntr vibes. Ughh, why do LNs keep designing characters like that?

Redhead Ojousama still best character.

Talking about machiavelian schemes - Roswaal and Reinhard both are shady as fuck people this episode. Its quite clear Roswaal just used this whole situation to get rid of Subaru. And Reinhard is very shady this episode manipulating others for his benefit into forcing Felt to accept the candidacy.

Overall VERY well directed episode, but also very disjointed in presentation. Also if this episode expected me to feel bad for Shithole MC and his predicament being "unfair" then sorry not happening. Asshole went full on "ASADASANASADASAN" this episode.

3/5
AhenshihaelJun 26, 2016 12:18 PM
Jun 26, 2016 12:14 PM

Mar 2013
I honestly hated this episode. It felt all really out of character for Subaru, especially the last scene which was random overly dramatic screaming
Why would Subaru say that all he did was for her sake after telling her that he accepted the fight for selfish reasons? Why act like he was in a superior position talking about the debts Emilia should have, right after saying that he did all of that for his own debt? Why would he randomly insult the knights in front of everyone?
As much as I loved the protagonist in the other episodes, I feel really disconnected right now after this one and I really hope it's not the start of a trainwreck
Jun 26, 2016 12:14 PM

Dec 2013
Also I can see subaru killing himself and reliving the fight with Julius enough times that he eventually gets better, but that most likely will not happen.
Jun 26, 2016 12:15 PM
Mar 2014
[SPOILERS] SPOILERS [SPOILERS]

I can understand why Subaru did what he did. This guy has seen death more than three times in all its pain and horrors. Having everything you've done, all those deaths for this one person who doesn't (not by choice) know his struggle, amount to zero? I'd be pretty pissed too.

Subaru's actions were at par with what any other regular human would do. Not like some fantasy hero in a regular show. I guess that's why most people would be pissed off at Subaru. This is just some guy who got sucked in a fantasy world, not some military professional or scientist.

I also feel bad for Emilia, too. Not as bad for Subaru's sake, but just enough to understand that she wants to trust him, but can't.

I hope Subaru recovers from this, be it returning by death or some miraculous redemption. Emilia leaving and disowning him in front of the meeting, as well as choosing to cut ties with him at the end of the episode was all to painful after all that he's done.

5/5 watching again.
Jun 26, 2016 12:16 PM

Jul 2015
Fai said:
Also if this episode expected me to feel bad for Shithole MC and his predicament being "unfair" then sorry not happening.

You're not supposed to feel sorry for him. The author wants to present him as an asshole with major flaws in this episode.
Jun 26, 2016 12:17 PM

Mar 2015
I hate it that he went on full retard. But at least his character is developing now right?

This could be one of the first sign, may be the second sign that his mind is gonna break.

Jun 26, 2016 12:19 PM

Jan 2014
This was so cringe omfg, I had to pause it a couple times and take a break lmao. But I think that's what made it so good. Subarus feelings toward Emilia aren't realistically healthy at all. He idealizes her and worships her and that would never work in real life. I like how that was finally addressed, especially in the end when Emilia says the Emilia in his head must be amazing. Subaru, ya done fucked up. But I hope this is a chance for him to finally change and learn from his mistakes, rather than just starting over again.

VeritasEtLux said:
Shi-rho said:
Even though the episode and especially Subaru's actions until the end were incredibly cringy, this episode, in my eyes, was the best one of the series so far.

And that's because of the end, when Subaru went insane, and FINALLY let some of his selfish thoughts out. Finally. It took forever! I can only speak for myself here, but I thought this was the most "human" reaction I have ever seen in an anime. Subaru works his ass off all the time, even dies, all for the sake of someone who never will understand his pain, that person, even though she is not to blame for this, wants to cut ties with him and doesn't get what he went through. He even went so far as to make up the excuse of doing it for her, just so he can lie to himself to keep going and not go insane after all his horrible experiences.

When he snapped, now that was perfect. It was a perfectly human reaction. Do you (= whoever reads this xD) not sometimes, at least partly, think that people should be grateful for what you do for them, after you constantly help them out? Shouting that out, and telling Emilia that she should be god-damn grateful, was the most natural reaction anyone in his situation could have ever had. He is just a normal guy after all, not a generic-af hero who shrugs off everything and doesn't get any mental problems, or just slight mental problems.

But still, watching it hurt like hell, as he essentially destroyed everything he built up xD Life, y u gotta be so diffcult?

--> 10/10. I love it. This might easily be the best scene I have watched in anime so far. <--

I agree. His inner selfishness shows out and though some might feel that it felt forced/over the top (well he always is, right from the very beginning), personally, it made Subaru that much more human.

Right now, I feel disgusted at Subaru's behaviour and Emilia has every right to blow her top at him. After all, she had dreams to become the ruler and change things around the country but Subaru (whom she had place a lot of faith in) went and screwed things up (making her appear in a bad light). And yet, he proclaims that he is doing this all for her. This is him being selfish alright and all those angry words that he spoke to her just proved how off tracked he went. It will be interesting to see how he slowly redeems himself to Emilia (Hopefully a step by step process and not through a instant reset).

Hope to see Subaru's gradual development in the future episodes and also to see him sink further into despair (?).

I agree so much with everything you guys said. And I'm really happy that Emilia actually told him off and stood up for herself, because she's been kind of taking a backseat lately and letting Subaru run around and muck things up. This episode went completely off the grain of normal anime behavior and I think both Emilia and Subaru have finally been at their most human. Really great writing and character development, props to the author
laputiaJun 26, 2016 12:24 PM
Jun 26, 2016 12:20 PM

Jul 2013
I wasn't a fan of this episode. Too much superficial politics, when I personally just prefer the action/angst/suffering. Emilia has been pretty bitchy in the last couple episodes, even if it was out of "concern" for Subaru. It's hard to believe that she STILL doesn't realize that Subaru literally can't tell her things, not that he's choosing not to. And on the other hand, Subaru was irrational and uncharacteristically rude in this episode. I was really angry with him for stooping so low. But between him and Emilia, I'm still siding with him, naturally.

I was kind of urging him to kill himself through the episode, not in a malicious way, but in a "you can fix this if you just reset" kind of way.

I'm all for Felt as queen. It would be amazing to have a former slum-dweller as the ruler. At the very least, I hope she gets to punch those nobles and knights and Bitch Princess in the face!
Jun 26, 2016 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
GuidedCursor said:
I hate it that he went on full retard. But at least his character is developing now right?

This could be one of the first sign, may be the second sign that his mind is gonna break.

FINALLY, if it finally happens after the hellish last two arcs, it's great really.
Jun 26, 2016 12:23 PM

Jan 2013
JudeMaxwell said:
Can anyone help me understand where the hate for Emillia is coming from? Like seriously after all the shit Subaru did this episode, people hate Emillia in the end? Keep in mind I'm not a ''emillia best waifu''' guy since I knew this was coming and I still like her as a character, but 80% of the people who were calling her best waifu now call her a bitch. Even if u haven't read the LN how can u blame her after all the shit Subaru said? I really don't get how weeb society works

Anyway as always great episode. Looking forward to more Reinhard and Felt

bc even after everything subaru is still a weeb stuck in his escapism phase where he thinks that if he acts like a typical mc everything will work out for him eventually.Also he was cray cray at the end so who can blame Emilia.

Finally we are done with fun typical fantasy moments , the true Re;Zero begins
Jun 26, 2016 12:24 PM

Dec 2014
I felt a lo of action in this episode.. Poor subaru but the guy always try his best.... The show took quite a bit turn .... Felt was awesome in this episode by the way

Jul 2013
Lmao. Subaru really went full retard mode this episode. The cringe was so bad I even laugh a bit during the scenes of the assemble. He really deserved that beatdown, hopefully that will give some sense in his mind.
However, the end scene was executed very well, you can really felt Subaru's selfishness really well.

Felt is great. Love her scenes and her relationship with Reinhard. Old Man Rom's scheme to make her a candidate was an smart move for Reinhard's part.

Roswaal looked shady as fuck in this.

Too bad we didn't had new OP and ED this week. Would have liked more screentime of the other candidate's part. Crusch especially.

Xenocrisi said:
MonoReaper said:
Oh boy will this end like the AkamegaKill anime?

Akame ga Kill went full original, while here, they are just rearranging and cutting out some stuff
Well, White Fox also cut out some scenes from the original manga in the Akame ga Kill anime, so it's not like the changes they are doing with Re:Zero are a new move of them or anything.

May 2016
episode 13: character development at its finest

Jul 2015
psychoalchemist said:
I'm all for Felt as queen. It would be amazing to have a former slum-dweller as the ruler. At the very least, I hope she gets to punch those nobles and knights and Bitch Princess in the face!

Time for a revolution! Down with the nobles, the people rule!
Jun 26, 2016 12:25 PM

Apr 2015
We have to remind ourselves that despite Subaru actions beings completely dumb and idiotic, he got called out on that and the author uses this to develop his character.

So while the things that Subaru did definitely wasn't good in it's own right and "cringy", you have to give the story props for taking a character and make him develop that way.

It's funny how the content of what this episode portrait is full of negative emotions and mistakes of Subaru but it's so good that this story is able to depict that.

A case of - negative moments ( but not bad ) depicted in the episode but + for the writing and overall story because it actually addressed that.
Jun 26, 2016 12:26 PM

May 2016
I don't think the purpose of this episode is for you to feel for "Subaru".

I'm certain you suppose to side with Emilia (it's her turn of development straying away from the trophy wife)

They succeeded wonderfully.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jun 26, 2016 12:27 PM

Mar 2015
BokuNoHawky said:
Also I can see subaru killing himself and reliving the fight with Julius enough times that he eventually gets better, but that most likely will not happen.

I think we all wanted to see that happens because it's painful to watch today, but we know we shouldn't.

Jun 26, 2016 12:27 PM

Jul 2007
Sometimes791 said:
Fai said:
Also if this episode expected me to feel bad for Shithole MC and his predicament being "unfair" then sorry not happening.

You're not supposed to feel sorry for him. The author wants to present him as an asshole with major flaws in this episode.

Then they should not have presented him as likeable and actually interesting character for 11 episodes.

This is like entirely different show now.
Jun 26, 2016 12:28 PM

Jul 2013
I get that things aren't always easy for Subaru, but the way he acted during this episode really disappointed me. Emilia's reaction is understandable, but I still don't like her that much to be honest.

Gotta love those other candidates tho', they're all so selfish and somewhat twisted, but way more interesting than Emilia...

Cheering for Felt ! c:

Jun 26, 2016 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was painful to watch in a good way. I'm starting to wonder how mentally stable Subaru was before this, which also brings into question what his life was like exactly before. Welp with all luck Subaru will die next episode and have a chance to redo all of his fuck ups (what kind of show makes me look forward to the main character dieing lol)
Pages (28) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2072 by Nanami0007 »»
Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2016

538 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

510 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.