Forum Settings
Forums

Would you rather watch a highly ambitious anime that falls flat or a generic anime that follows conventions?

New
Jun 25, 2016 11:14 PM

Nov 2015
Would you rather;
watch a highly ambitious anime that falls flat on its face?
OR
watch something completely generic that rips off textbook formulae word to word and tries absolutely nothing new?

I'd rather watch something that is over ambitious. I mean if I were to make an anime I'd consider my own limits and try not to bite off more than I can chew but as a viewer I'd rather watch an anime at least try to be something.
Gesu-Jun 25, 2016 11:57 PM
Jun 25, 2016 11:16 PM

Aug 2015
I'd rather watch whatever the heck I want without caring about it being either ambitious or generic
Jun 25, 2016 11:19 PM

May 2015
I guess the ambitious that falls flat. I would drop the overly generic one after some episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 6:11 AM

Mar 2016
Over-ambitiousness doesn't irritate me at all. It's much better than being boring.

Genericism on the other hand........I can watch a generic harem to an extent but I usually end up dropping them 4 or 5 eps in.
Jun 26, 2016 6:15 AM

Jul 2014
hey, I don't care if it's generic as long as it's well-executed
being ambitious and then falling flat on its face just makes me cringe
Jun 26, 2016 6:16 AM

Jul 2013
Charlotte was rather ambitious but look at its state here in MAL while every shounen that comes out is generally well received even though it's the same thing over and over.
Jun 26, 2016 6:17 AM

May 2016
Falling flat is a cardinal sin in my book, so I'll take the series that uses tried-and-true conventions well. I'll take a Vision of Escaflowne over a RahXephon any day of the week.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 26, 2016 6:23 AM

Mar 2015
genericness still can provide you entertainment... but flatness is dead end...

let me give you current season... joker game is fucking abomiantion... i'll take flaying withc anyd ay
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 26, 2016 6:24 AM

Oct 2015
Hahahhahahahhah... I wud watch both B-)

~This world is a cruel place~
Jun 26, 2016 6:35 AM
Sep 2015
I'd rather watch something generic, but well executed, than ambitious and a trainwreck.
Jun 26, 2016 6:37 AM

Feb 2013
neither because i only watch good anime (^:
Jun 26, 2016 6:41 AM

Mar 2014
vikki7783 said:
hey, I don't care if it's generic as long as it's well-executed
being ambitious and then falling flat on its face just makes me cringe

I agree.

As long as I enjoy it, it's fine.
Jun 26, 2016 6:43 AM

Jan 2010
Ambition is attractive in everything.
Jun 26, 2016 6:47 AM

Mar 2016
I would watch a generic anime because it could still be ok even if it is generic. If it was an ambitious anime that strayed off topic, or just failed, I would just drop it.
Friend me for more:OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI OPPAI
Jun 26, 2016 6:53 AM

Aug 2013
I don't mind generic shows with cookie cutter characters and plots if the end result is good. I'd rather watch that than an over-ambitous show that fails hard. Novelty is not necessarily always a good thing.
Jun 26, 2016 6:56 AM

Jun 2016
Generic anime follow the same conventions because it's generally entertaining and consistent. I'd much rather watch something like that over something unique that just fails.
Jun 26, 2016 6:58 AM

May 2016
With ambitious shows, it depends on the case at hand. If it just tries to do too much, like Charlotte, I'm going to have fun regardless.
If it doesn't reach what it tried to achieve, like Shinsekai Yori, it's just going to be awfully sad to see the potential that was wasted.

Generic is all right, as long as it has at least some kind of a selling point. Premise, characters, music, whatever. It has to have 'something'.
Jun 26, 2016 7:15 AM

Jan 2013
I dont like overcomplicated stuff so i'd take the generic one, i love generic show anyway since they usually have a lot of similiar/same trope which i like
Jun 26, 2016 7:20 AM

Aug 2011
I would watch the highly ambitious anime, not the generic one. If your idea of the generic anime you're talking about are the magic high school action harem anime, then I wouldn't watch them.

I don't like watching the same thing over and over unless it's very entertaining.
Jun 26, 2016 7:28 AM

May 2016
illusean said:

Yes, but when it also has leprosy and a club foot, you're not gonna wanna stick your dick in it anymore.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 26, 2016 7:31 AM

Jan 2010
Zelkiiro said:
illusean said:

Yes, but when it also has leprosy and a club foot, you're not gonna wanna stick your dick in it anymore.

Just because I find something attractive, doesn't mean I'd want to fuck it, hahaha.
Jun 26, 2016 7:56 AM

Nov 2015
Well... how good is the generic show? If the generic show is good I'd rather watch that lol... if it's just average at best than obviously I'd rather watch the ambitious one. Although every time I watch an ambitious show that falls flat on it's face I wind up thinking to myself 'well... guess we'll never see anything ambitious out of that studio again' or 'this idea could've been worked out way better in some other studio's hands'
Jun 26, 2016 8:03 AM
Jan 2016
I don't mind generic anime as long as it uses the tropes well.
For example, harem anime tend to be pretty damn repetitive, with most of them using the same conventions and tropes, like the whole "magical martial arts academy" setting but then you get series such as Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, which follows them faithfully too, but does it in a way that makes it far more interesting and engaging, while stuff like IS or Hundred are absolute garbage.

So I don't think that generic anime is inherently bad, tropes exist because they work, it's how you use them that matters.
Jun 26, 2016 8:10 AM

Feb 2015
Z-Dante said:
I'd rather watch whatever the heck I want without caring about it being either ambitious or generic

same with me.
either generic or ambitious, i don't really care about it as long as it's enjoyable to watch.
Jun 26, 2016 6:02 PM
Mar 2016
Ambitious, so you can think up your own high/slow expectations along the way. I know how most generic anime end up and all I want is some variety
Jun 26, 2016 6:04 PM
Ribbit

May 2015
I LIKE generic anime that follow conventions! I'd be more than happy to watch that. I'm also not very critical of anime, and would probably also enjoy an ambitious anime that falls flat. Basically, I like most things, irregardless of plot holes/genericness/ambition/characters etc.
Jun 26, 2016 6:11 PM

Jun 2016
It really breaks my heart when a series, that shows great potential, completely cockslaps itself.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Jun 26, 2016 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
I rather watch a highly ambitious anime that falls flat, at least i wouldn't die from boredom.
Jun 26, 2016 6:28 PM

Sep 2009
I'd watch either or both; don't really care. I doubt those categories would have any influence on how good it turns out.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 27, 2016 1:04 AM

May 2015
I'd rather watch something highly ambitious that fails. At least it has potential to be great, and its failure will be interesting.

A generic anime that follows conventions doesn't have much it can do. Look at JoJo. It's a lot of fun but there's a glass ceiling on it that holds it back from greatness.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 27, 2016 1:21 AM

Nov 2014
If I had to choose between watching Big Order again, and watching another anime by Kyoto Animation, I'd choose Big Order. Big Order wasn't good in the conventional sense, but its ambition and lack of restraint made it fun to watch.
Jun 27, 2016 1:58 AM

Sep 2015
Both. I wouldn't mind either. There's this commonly perpetuated idea that "generic = bad" which I don't agree with, personally. There's always a double-standard when it comes to genericness - when it includes tropes and clichés people don't personally enjoy, they call it generic. When it includes tropes and clichés that they do like, it gets called cookie cutter. You can see this with Boku no Hero Academia, for instance. Most people are praising it to Hell and back. I quite enjoyed it myself but it absolutely follows the generic conventions that are prevalent in monomyth stories. It's creative in the small details - character designs and their powers - but it's predictable and very typical.

Generic only gets used in a negative manner when it suits, basically.

But for ambitious anime that fall flat - well, that's a far more inherently negative manner of addressing them than generic anime. Since - as I've already established - generic isn't automatically bad, if you're saying "Would you rather watch something that could be good or bad, or would you prefer to watch something that falls flat?" that's a bit of a leading question.
But it's always nice to see something ambitious, even if it doesn't live up to its potential in the end. Something new can be refreshing to see.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 27, 2016 4:21 AM

Nov 2009
Gesu- said:
Would you rather;
OR
watch something completely generic that rips off textbook formulae word to word and tries absolutely nothing new?

1) I'd rather watch them both.

2) No anime was ever made that only follows formulae and doesn't add anything on its own. I suppose your argument is a strawman.

3) When given a choice between over-ambitious anime, and an anime that follows a formula, but makes it work because the author is good at what he is doing, I would choose the second.
Jun 28, 2016 1:03 AM

May 2015
Maz said:
Both. I wouldn't mind either. There's this commonly perpetuated idea that "generic = bad" which I don't agree with, personally. There's always a double-standard when it comes to genericness - when it includes tropes and clichés people don't personally enjoy, they call it generic. When it includes tropes and clichés that they do like, it gets called cookie cutter. You can see this with Boku no Hero Academia, for instance. Most people are praising it to Hell and back. I quite enjoyed it myself but it absolutely follows the generic conventions that are prevalent in monomyth stories. It's creative in the small details - character designs and their powers - but it's predictable and very typical.

Generic only gets used in a negative manner when it suits, basically.

But for ambitious anime that fall flat - well, that's a far more inherently negative manner of addressing them than generic anime. Since - as I've already established - generic isn't automatically bad, if you're saying "Would you rather watch something that could be good or bad, or would you prefer to watch something that falls flat?" that's a bit of a leading question.
But it's always nice to see something ambitious, even if it doesn't live up to its potential in the end. Something new can be refreshing to see.

I don't think 'generic' ends there. Bad 'generic' means the anime doesn't do anything with it. JoJo also sticks closely to the monomyth, but it pushes it to the extreme. The art is wacky, the characters are exaggerated as hell. It may operate in a template, but it doesn't settle in it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 28, 2016 1:14 AM

May 2015
Gesu- said:
Would you rather;
OR

I'd rather watch something that is over ambitious. I mean if I were to make an anime I'd consider my own limits and try not to bite off more than I can chew but as a viewer I'd rather watch an anime at least try to be something.

i'd respect a more ambiguous show, I'd view a more ambitious show in a better light probably. but I would rather watch something generic if I were forced to, failing miserably is usually a very ugly sight. generic isn't ugly, it's just generic.

i wouldn't willingly watch either obviously, but speaking not in a vacuum is it easier to watch the whole series and be disappointed but appreciative, or is it easier to watch bad dull bread and butter?

but whether or not i'd consider one generally in a better light also heavily depends on how bad the ambitious anime actually fails. of course, this is a hypothetical question where you can't choose, but to note there's probably instances where I'd prefer specifically one or the other.

But I probably wouldn't even remember a entirely generic anime at the end of the day, so there's that.
ashfrliebertJun 28, 2016 1:20 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

30 by delirific »»
38 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

35 by delirific »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

16 by Horizon06 »»
3 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

15 by W3TFT »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

89 by LostSpectre »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.