Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 23, 2016 6:58 PM

Jan 2015
On this website, there's heaps of anime listed, in this list of anime though, there are some fauxnime (false anime) as well like Chu Feng B.E.E and Fox Spirit Matchmaker.
If these are here, why aren't series like RWBY and Chronexia and the Eight Seals? "If some anime inspired shows are here, why aren't they all?" is what many people have asked. What I have to ask is, if some anime inspired shows aren't allowed, why don't they have all anime inspired shows removed? It's probably my biggest problem about this site, and one of my only problems.
Jun 23, 2016 7:04 PM

Feb 2013
chinese anime is there because chinese manga is too; here is admin post on this topic
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=635001&show=80#msg24064451

all `fauxnime` you can think of fit the guidelines, while rwby and chronexia don't
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101 <- db guidelines

if you feel any `fauxnime` doesn't fit the guidelines you can make an appeal here
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1510673 <- modification request thread

there is a database site with an anime-influenced tag, namely hummingbird
https://hummingbird.me/anime/filter?g=anime-influenced
Jun 23, 2016 7:12 PM

Jan 2015
romagia said:
all `fauxnime` you can think of fit the guidelines, while rwby and chronexia don't
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101 <- db guidelines\
It still seems weird that non-anime shows are listed as anime. They should at least list them as anime influenced/non-Japanese anime/fauxnime/whatever. They list manhua as manhua and manhwa as manhwa instead of manga.
Jun 24, 2016 12:56 AM

Apr 2015
Korean/Chinese stuff has been determined sort of a grey area. Everyone kind of accepts it on anime sites. Stuff like RWBY was created in America, therefore against the rules.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 24, 2016 12:57 AM

Sep 2009
Because they're Asian I guess. and stuff like RWBY isn't.
China, Japan, Korea. It's all the same :3
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 24, 2016 1:25 AM

Feb 2013
Wiziliz said:
romagia said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101 <- db guidelines\
It still seems weird that non-anime shows are listed as anime. They should at least list them as anime influenced/non-Japanese anime/fauxnime/whatever. They list manhua as manhua and manhwa as manhwa instead of manga.
database limitations i guess
similar to how light novels are under manga
i'd deffo wanna see a chinese/korean animation tag.. but there probably is a reason why they never added any more genres
Jun 24, 2016 1:28 AM

Jun 2016
Possibly because those shows come from Asia and since RWBY isn't from Asia it isn't counted?

I really just don't know...
SIGNATURE NOT FOUND

Jun 24, 2016 1:30 AM

May 2008
Honestly I'm split on having Chinese/Korean entries in the database. They're not anime, and it feels really silly to have just Chinese/Korean animation outside of Japanese animation, when they won't allow Taiwanese animation for whatever stupid reason. And why not Thai and Vietnamese animation? Are they really that different? In the end no, not really.

Plus, not enough people even watch Chinese/Korean animation to warrant it being in the database imo. I have nothing against it myself, don't get me wrong, and it's still definitely just as legit as anime, but the lines seem to be so fuzzy that we might as well just have Japanese animation in the database. Unless, of course, it's a split production between Japan and somewhere else.

But that's just me, and I know it's not gonna change.
Jun 24, 2016 1:38 AM

Feb 2013
Zazie122 said:
Honestly I'm split on having Chinese/Korean entries in the database. They're not anime, and it feels really silly to have just Chinese/Korean animation outside of Japanese animation, when they won't allow Taiwanese animation for whatever stupid reason. And why not Thai and Vietnamese animation? Are they really that different? In the end no, not really.

Plus, not enough people even watch Chinese/Korean animation to warrant it being in the database imo. I have nothing against it myself, don't get me wrong, and it's still definitely just as legit as anime, but the lines seem to be so fuzzy that we might as well just have Japanese animation in the database. Unless, of course, it's a split production between Japan and somewhere else.

But that's just me, and I know it's not gonna change.
because chinese/korean manga are allowed , thai and vietnamese are not, not sure about taiwan but prolly not
do u even thread

not enough people watch because chinese/korean animation is like <1% of the database
even with a 100% random distribution it would still seem like not enough people watch

on the plus side, we have that furry north korean propaganda cartoon on the site
Jun 24, 2016 1:56 AM

May 2008
romagia said:
because chinese/korean manga are allowed , thai and vietnamese are not, not sure about taiwan but prolly not
do u even thread

not enough people watch because chinese/korean animation is like <1% of the database
even with a 100% random distribution it would still seem like not enough people watch

on the plus side, we have that furry north korean propaganda cartoon on the site

Sure, but manhua and manwha have much more presence than Chinese/Korean animation. There are also many more titles that actually get translated to some degree. I'm not saying manhua and manwha should be removed as such, but we don't always have to have the anime database in line with the manga database. We don't allow Chinese/Korean novels AFAIK, even those on which works are based -- but I could be wrong, I'm not that familiar with the way the manga DB works.

I also think lack of subtitles and most of the non-Japanese animation on MAL being for a younger audience don't help popularity issues. I know it sounds silly to say "nobody cares, why have it?" when people don't really care about a lot of shit in the database, but part of me feels like it's almost not worth having them. Then again I also don't agree with claymation/stop-motion animation being on here either, lol.
Jun 24, 2016 4:22 AM

Jan 2015
Zazie122 said:
I also don't agree with claymation/stop-motion animation being on here either, lol.
That's also one of my biggest problems with the site, I think that anime should only be listed if they're made by a studio like Attack on Titan or if they're made by a talented team like Touhou Unofficial Doujin Anime: A Summer Day's Dream, but oh well.
Jun 24, 2016 4:30 AM

Jun 2015
Just remember they also have Kanye West in the database too :)
-
OT: Anyhow, I honestly do not know why they allow Chinese/Korean comics but I'm not against them being on MAL. Kind of questioning why manhua/manhwa are on here but not other Asian comics. Though Vietnamese and Indonesian comics are pretty anew to the world. Also why don't they allow webtoons?
Jun 24, 2016 5:38 AM

Oct 2014
As long as it's from East Asia it counts. There are a couple anime on the database from North Korea which technically don't count, but for some reason they're allowed. I would personally be fine with adding French cartoons to the database.
Jun 24, 2016 5:53 AM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
As long as it's from East Asia it counts. There are a couple anime on the database from North Korea which technically don't count, but for some reason they're allowed. I would personally be fine with adding French cartoons to the database.
if the Vladivostok people would suddenly decide to form an animation studio they wouldn't be added in the database even if it's from east asia =p

and well, north koreans are still koreans
Jun 24, 2016 6:50 AM

Jan 2015
ixaa said:
-
OT: Anyhow, I honestly do not know why they allow Chinese/Korean comics but I'm not against them being on MAL. Kind of questioning why manhua/manhwa are on here but not other Asian comics. Though Vietnamese and Indonesian comics are pretty anew to the world. Also why don't they allow webtoons?
No idea why webtoons aren't allowed. I'd read One Punch Man (ONE) if I could add it.

Don't forget about Hitler. xD
Jun 24, 2016 7:09 AM

Mar 2015
i remember read this post somewhere.. too lazy to digging most of old suggestion thread...

chinese, korea, and china allowed to databese because they use same kanji for anime and manga... hance why many western database for east asia entertainmen site got mixed about this as well (ann, anime planet, baka-updates, ETC).. not to mention many series are outsourching and joint project between them too...

why taiwanese animation not allowed? yes, it still biggest mystery mal has, since they allowed north korean animation... probably just simply because no mods can works on it as usual (too much works)...

why claymation/stopmotion is allowed? when the first this site make, they are not allowed too... it's around 2007 some people suggested about it since they are also animation and this is china/japan/korea anime/animation database no matter what kind animation and art style it is and it's accepted...

why webtoon not allowed? no, infact webtoon is allowed! the difference is mal guidline using physical printing as determination which many web/digital manga fail at that.. not what kind manga is it...
KumaJun 24, 2016 7:12 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 24, 2016 10:04 AM

Apr 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

You what?

Hope you're not serious...
Jun 24, 2016 10:10 AM

Jul 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

rwby actually got it's own serialization in a japanese manga magazine ( it think it was square enix's magazine ), so I would let it count. Monty was partly japanese if i remember correctly
It's okay to smirk

Jun 24, 2016 10:14 AM

Sep 2009
BrandNew_Lanz said:
MortalMelancholy said:

You what?

Dead serious. All ching-chang-chong languages belong together--On this website.

addioo12 said:
MortalMelancholy said:

rwby actually got it's own serialization in a japanese manga magazine ( it think it was square enix's magazine ), so I would let it count. Monty was partly japanese if i remember correctly

Those serialzed manga ARE on the database.
Jun 24, 2016 10:20 AM

Apr 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
BrandNew_Lanz said:

You what?

Oh. Didn't know we all used English together
Jun 24, 2016 10:21 AM

May 2015
Wiziliz said:
if they're made by a talented team like Touhou Unofficial Doujin Anime: A Summer Day's Dream, but oh well.

Dojinshi anime? :O

ixaa said:

Kanye west the anime music producer?
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 24, 2016 10:22 AM
Jan 2013
BrandNew_Lanz said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Isn't the correct term "American"?
gone bai bai
Jun 24, 2016 10:24 AM
Jan 2013
ashfrliebert said:
Wiziliz said:
if they're made by a talented team like Touhou Unofficial Doujin Anime: A Summer Day's Dream, but oh well.

Dojinshi anime? :O
A fan made anime
It's on the database just cause of the people involved on the project (Voice actors I believe)
Which is also the reason why the other high quality Touhou dj anime isn't on the database
gone bai bai
Jun 24, 2016 10:26 AM

Apr 2015
Mkim said:
BrandNew_Lanz said:

No, 'vain attempt at American' would be correct for most of us.
Jun 24, 2016 10:26 AM

Sep 2009
BrandNew_Lanz said:
MortalMelancholy said:

I meant that the anime/manga from the ching-chang-chong countries belong together, when organized on the MAL website.
(And that western animations belong in the garbage can)

Mkim said:
BrandNew_Lanz said:

No, it's 'MURICAN, get it right.
Jun 24, 2016 10:27 AM

Jan 2015

Lel, greitai bėk :), va kokie amerikonai geri :), o tie kiniški ir japoniški filmukai tegu eina jie nachuj....hahaha, vistiek debilai hamburgeriu prisiriję esate tai jum kaip ir pochuj ka aš čia prirašiau ar ne?? XDDD Žinau, žinau kad visiškai ne į temą pataikiau bet pochuj lel
Jun 24, 2016 10:29 AM

Apr 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
BrandNew_Lanz said:

I meant that the anime/manga from the ching-chang-chong countries belong together, when organized on the MAL website.
(And that western animations belong in the garbage can)

Well, that's right, but you don't hear any chings outside of China mate.
Jun 24, 2016 10:32 AM

Mar 2014
Oh look, another one of those subtle "Pls add RWBY to the database its da best animu evah ;) xd" propaganda threads
Konte said:

Lel, greitai bėk :), va kokie amerikonai geri :), o tie kiniški ir japoniški filmukai tegu eina jie nachuj....hahaha, vistiek debilai hamburgeriu prisiriję esate tai jum kaip ir pochuj ka aš čia prirašiau ar ne?? XDDD Žinau, žinau kad visiškai ne į temą pataikiau bet pochuj lel
... Kriu kriu?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 24, 2016 10:38 AM

Jan 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Oh look, another one of those subtle "Pls add RWBY to the database its da best animu evah ;) xd" propaganda threads
Konte said:

... Kriu kriu?

Miss Norwegian, how can I help you?....or are you BPoMAL?
Jun 24, 2016 10:42 AM

Mar 2014
Konte said:
Miss Norwegian, how can I help you?....or are you BPoMAL?
>Me
>Norwegian

Pls

I don't know, I just wrote kriu kriu because that's one of the few Lithuanian words I know
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 24, 2016 11:33 AM

Jan 2015

>Me
>Norwegian

Pls

I don't know, I just wrote kriu kriu because that's one of the few Lithuanian words I know[/quote]

Kriu Kriu only used for pigs who doesn't say Hello/Labas to everyone else....so...from now on I'm a pig....okay.... Союз Советских Социалистических Республик anyone?
Jun 24, 2016 12:38 PM

Feb 2010
Cause it's in the DB. Chinese and Korean stuff has been accepted for ages, I don't think it will change at this point. Too many years of work would be made redundant if you suddenly tried to ban them from the site.

Personally I'd be for including Taiwan and other asian animation as well to make it more consistent, basically a site for all asian animation, but there's no way RWBY or TLA will ever make it on the site as far as I'm concerned. That would just be opening a whole new can of worms and people would start adding any cartoon they ever watched to the DB because if there are no more objective criteria like where it was produced it's all going to come down to someone, somewhere thinking of a random western show as an anime and insisting it should be added because he feels like that.
Because 'it feels like that' is the only argument ever for including stuff like RWBY and TLA on this site. And nobody in the position of a mod wants to deal with a million series being added because someone within the millions of users of this site there is someone who 'feels' it should be added.

No, I can guarantee that geographical criteria are and always will be the deciding factor because it's objective, relatively easy to determine and doesn't leave any room for arguments or interpretation.

And that's the kind of guidelines a huge database like this needs. Not something where every single added entry gets discussed by a bunch of people who decide whether it 'feesl' enough like an 'anime' (or what they think defines anime) to be added. Anyone who disagrees obviously has no idea how to organize a DB without creating infinite amounts of unnecessary work.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 24, 2016 6:20 PM

Sep 2011
Moved and so on~

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8685 by Kwanthemaster »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Yesterday, 7:33 AM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.