Forum Settings
Forums

Is having an inconsistent kind of anime as favorites a sign that a person has widened his/her horizons? Or its just pretentiousness?

New
Jun 23, 2016 3:04 PM

Jan 2016
You know, for example (me)having stuff like League of the Galactic Heroes and Tatami Galaxy in the same list as Fairy Tail and Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry...

From that example, you know the gist.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 23, 2016 3:08 PM

Feb 2011
theres no excuse for rakudai being there regardless of whatever else is on there

Apr 2014
I have School Days and Gankutsuou in my favorites list ...
But other than those, most of my favorites is pretty generic stuff besides Gungrave.
I like to imagine I just have a wide array of directions I can swing my favor in. It just makes recommending anime to me a bit harder.

May 2015
Okay, for one let's assume that in your example, you are not retarded.

Now that we've established this, some anime are more similar then you think. The original FMA and FLCL look different on paper, but they have very similar themes that talk about life and it's difficulties. Same thing for something like Cowboy Bebop and Katanagatari. Someone might watch LoGH/Tatami/FT/Rakudai and appreciate the message and style, which might be similar.

or you're retarded and put "elitist anime" in your favorites along with "guilty pleasures" to make yourself seem smart even if you've only seen one episode of galaxy and LOGH.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 23, 2016 3:09 PM

Dec 2015
How is having varied taste in any way pretentious?
Jun 23, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2016
RainyRai said:

or you're retarded and put "elitist anime" in your favorites along with "guilty pleasures" to make yourself seem smart even if you've only seen one episode of galaxy and LOGH.

I've watched it all in entirety. I can have a lengthy discussion about it if you want to. xD
Jun 23, 2016 3:11 PM

Jan 2016
Well even inconsistent anime lists do have some sort of running trend usually
Like mine looks kinda inconsistent to some

But at a closer look, its primarily dramas
Jun 23, 2016 3:12 PM
Mar 2016
It's not a sign of anything, why is it such a big deal that people like certain anime? It doesn't mean anything, you don't have to stick to one type of anime to not be considered "pretentious"
Jun 23, 2016 3:14 PM

Sep 2015
do you know the meaning of the word pretentious?

talk me down
safe & sound
too strung up
to sleep
⋯⋯ ⋯⋯
overground,
watch this space
i'm open to
falling from grace

Jun 23, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2016
Caffeine said:

Of course and it's acceptable to use here.
Jun 23, 2016 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
Depends on who you ask.

If you ask Digibro... yeah, you're fucking pretentious. Or basically just a poser.

If you ask MAL... LotGH alone is enough to label you an elitist. The rest are irrelevant. Not even Gintama could redeem you.

If you ask the guys at the Anime Uber-Elitist Club... you're a gentleman of exquisite taste. Until they see Fairy Tail, that is, then you're done.

If you ask me... (as in someone who manages to enjoy both Ergo Proxy and Yuru Yuri) I'll say that you like what you like. Just look at my favorites. Sometimes all it takes is a single amazing character to make me love a show.
removed-userJun 23, 2016 3:25 PM
Jun 23, 2016 3:23 PM

Sep 2015
Judging one person by their favourites is pretty dumb. Please don't do it.
Except if they like SAO. If they like SAO, they have shit taste and nothing can redeem it.

You just lost the game
Jun 23, 2016 3:26 PM

Sep 2009
Neither. It just means they like more than one thing.
In your case though, it means your taste is consistently... SAO.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 23, 2016 3:26 PM

Jan 2013
You like what you like m8, unless of course you really are pretentious and just looking for attention...?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 23, 2016 3:32 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i feel like some ppl just mix "critically acclaimed" anime with "guilty pleasure" or "generic" anime almost as a disguise.

i know for certain some ppl don't put certain anime on their favorites list cause they feel thats not the favorites list is for, but others probably are just too afraid to let ppl know they really enjoyed a certain anime

but fuck it, just put w/e YOU want to, i don't see why anyone would give a damn what someone feels about their favorites list. if ppl are interested in whether or not i like non harem anime, they can simply look at my list itself

@CapitalistGod

you really should stop letting what others think bother you so much lol

@Ecchi_Hater_9000

i dun found my sworn enemy

wait, theres 9000 of you? or over 9000?...... oh well..... time to kill you all.....( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 23, 2016 3:33 PM

Oct 2015
It just means you're you(?) I mean what else could it possibly mean? Unless you mean to say that it does mean that you're unique unique, which by all means everyone is.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jun 23, 2016 3:51 PM

Nov 2015
It could mean that you're pretentious or trying too hard to show off how you have an open mind but if I come across such a person I'm gonna assume that they give all kinds of anime an equal shot.
Jun 23, 2016 3:52 PM

Sep 2015
CapitalistGod said:
Caffeine said:

Of course and it's acceptable to use here.

i don't exactly understand how a person liking an inherently romance show, but also liking a show about death and destruction is in any way pretentious

if i watch totally spies at 3pm and watch a documentary about migrating elephants at 7pm does that mean i'm pretentious?

people can like things on different ends of the same spectrum and not do it to be showy.
almost everybody does and only a select few are conceited and stupid enough to think that enjoying spongebob and enjoying game of thrones is brag worthy.

maybe i'm just arguing because the word pretentious pisses me off

it's just like the music taste argument. people that like metal also like hip hop for example.
people can't really help what they enjoy, and though some do use it to give themselves some sort of...weird social advantage and self verification, most people don't expect to get blown for having a diverse taste. ...unless you're both insecure and narcissistic.

most people don't generally like one thing, over and over and over again, because after a while that gets boring. it's hard for people not to discover new and interesting things, so if they like them, they like them.
but these people get ragged on all the time for having a varied taste or for liking "obscure" things, but having unique interests is in no way pretentious-unless obviously you're clueless and do it for praise-which is just not the case most of the time.
some oppressive people just get...offended(?) and think "hey, that person likes different things than i do, what a tool, what a try-hard, what a showoff, they're just doing it because this, this and this" etc
but in reality, they're just someones interests. hobbies. pastimes. they're things that make up someones personality.

people can't exactly help what they like, and it's in no way pretentious
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

talk me down
safe & sound
too strung up
to sleep
⋯⋯ ⋯⋯
overground,
watch this space
i'm open to
falling from grace

Jun 23, 2016 3:54 PM

Mar 2014
I don't know

All I know is that I find it disturbing

Then again I'm just an aspie with a MAL account so you probably shouldn't take me too seriously when it comes to shit like this
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 23, 2016 4:07 PM
Sep 2015
Who cares? It's your list, do whatever you want with it.
Jun 23, 2016 4:12 PM

Sep 2015
I really never thought about this or someone having this question when they see my list, not that it is worth my concern anyway. I just put anime in my favorite list and it just consist of what I really like and that's about it.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jun 23, 2016 4:21 PM

Mar 2016
I'd see it as evidence that someone has watched a lot of different stuff and I can only imagine that their list would be similarly diverse. Not sure how that's pretentious.

In any case, favorites should be special to you, so why would it even matter?
Jun 23, 2016 4:21 PM

Feb 2013
my favourite list would be more than half super robo if it was my actual top 10 :V
as it stands now, it's just 2/10

i deliberately tried to diversify it with favourites from other genres
Jun 23, 2016 4:24 PM

Aug 2014
I don't think it matters. The list and scoring would tell us all much more about someone being inconsistent or possibly being pretentiousness rather than the favourites list. Even then I wouldn't really care since people can have a variety of taste, some people may like certain genres a lot more than the rest, while others have no real preference.
Jun 23, 2016 4:24 PM

May 2015
Having different kinds of anime in their favorites just means that they're watching more anime that they like. We're allowed to watch more than one kind of genre, right?
Jun 23, 2016 4:26 PM

Oct 2014
My favourites list includes Fullmetal Alchemist (03) and Ore Twintails. I like different anime for different reasons. It's boring to have a list of all the same type of anime as favourites.
Jun 23, 2016 4:37 PM

Mar 2016
No, OP you just widened your horizons . Everyone feels the need to widen their horizons at some point and move out of thier comfort zone, sticking to one type can get boring .
Jun 23, 2016 4:40 PM
May 2016
CapitalistGod said:
You know, for example (me)having stuff like League of the Galactic Heroes and Tatami Galaxy in the same list as Fairy Tail and Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry...

From that example, you know the gist.

To be honest, the question makes you seem pretentious alone xD. I will enjoy any genre, does it matter? It just means you're okay with giving things a try.
not here
Jun 23, 2016 4:42 PM

Jan 2016
Cishet said:
Except if they like SAO. If they like SAO, they have shit taste and nothing can redeem it.
I liked SAO fite me.SAO goat and that's faxxxx.
Jun 23, 2016 4:44 PM

Jul 2015
kryptic2g said:
Cishet said:

this is a low quality bait
dont take it =D
Jun 23, 2016 4:46 PM

Jan 2016
tragedydesu said:
kryptic2g said:

this is a low quality bait
dont take it =D
Feelsbad i actually enjoyed it i guess i have shit taste ayy.
Jun 23, 2016 4:59 PM

Oct 2015
I like to think I have varied taste, at least based on my favourites, it's largely just because I don't always want to watch anime for a "deep, intellectual" experience, sometimes I just like good old-fashioned fun.

I try to see good things in every genre, even those I tend to avoid.
Jun 23, 2016 5:03 PM

Jan 2015
I suppose it does, I have both KonoSuba and Akira in my favourites.
Jun 23, 2016 5:32 PM

Nov 2010
Either, or, or neither it depends on the intent.
Jun 23, 2016 5:56 PM

May 2015
As long as it entertains and stimulates my brain then its a show for me. I don't see why different shows putting them on your list would make you a pretentious.Not every show you like will be liked by others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2016 5:58 PM

Jan 2016
Mamster-P said:

@CapitalistGod

Haha! I don't really care, I'm just interested in people's thoughts on this since it's been on my mind lately... haha! ANd from what I see, pretty boring opinions across the board...xD
Jun 23, 2016 6:04 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
CapitalistGod said:
Mamster-P said:

@CapitalistGod

Haha! I don't really care, I'm just interested in people's thoughts on this since it's been on my mind lately... haha! ANd from what I see, pretty boring opinions across the board...xD

good... cause it really shouldn't matter, but i don't understand the "it just means they have varied tastes" response

just cause your favorites list are all similar genres doesn't mean you don't have varied taste lol it just means that since the spots are only limited to 10, if you prefer a genre, and don't want to lie, your list is going to be mostly that

i obviously prefer harem/ecchi/moeblob, but that doesn't mean there aren't shows that aren't those that i have enjoyed more so than many harem/ecchi/moeblobs
Jun 23, 2016 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
In my opinion it's just a person that has a wide taste on anime, nothing to do with anything you said. I don't really see a sense in this question.
And I actually find it interesting when someone has a lot of variety in its list. People who have the same kind of shows just kinda bore me a lot. Whenever I see a list with just for example old classics like Cowboy Bebop, GITS, Evangelion, Akira and that kinda shows I just lose my interest in them. It's not that I don't like that shows, what bores me is the "culture"? around them. Don't know if I explained myself well.
MohitVermillionJun 23, 2016 6:19 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2016 10:21 PM

Nov 2009
CapitalistGod said:

That's the kind of list I expect from a person who actually liked some of the "elitist" shows. It shows that the maker it a real person who has some way of choosing which shows he/she likes beyond "these shows are praised by the elitist crowd a lot".
Even if I am unable to understand what do these shows have in common.
Jun 23, 2016 10:30 PM

May 2008
Meh, I don't think it's an indicator of anything. People have different tastes. Some people only enjoy anime in certain genres whereas others are able to enjoy a wider spectrum. So obviously sometimes you get people whose favourites are all in one genre (or 1-2 genres) and others where their favourites seemingly have nothing in common. Also, tastes change with time as do favourites.

I mean, I like to think I have a decent variety of favourites. They're not super across to board, but there are several different genres in there.
Jun 23, 2016 10:30 PM

Jun 2014
My top 25 is out of control...

- Aria the Origination

- Yuru Yuri

- Kingdom

- Gakkatsu

- Death Note

- PriPara

I got no rhyme nor reason..
Jun 24, 2016 12:32 AM

May 2015
Someone who has a variety of different anime in their favorites is more interesting then someone who has all the regular intellectual anime in their favorites.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 24, 2016 12:37 AM
Jun 2016
Cishet said:

Sorry dude but I like SAO and I don't think my taste in anime is that bad. I have been watching anime since I was young and there are all kinds of genre which I equally enjoy. I also enjoy delving into new stuff.

But I do agree... SAO did kinda fall off midway through season 1 but that doesn't make it a shit anime like everyone claims it to be. It was a fun roller coaster ride to me and I will start SAO2 in the future.
Jun 24, 2016 12:45 AM

Jul 2012
Who cares?

It's your choice to like what you want.

But if you think Rakudai and Fairy Tail are as good as Tatami Galaxy and LoGH then you probably don't have a concrete set of values that makes a good anime for you.

Is this a bad thing? No. But it just means that your opinion has less credibility because of inconsistency.

Personally I think Rakudai Kishi and Fairy Tail are terrible anime but it's up to you to enjoy what you like.
Jun 24, 2016 12:48 AM

Apr 2013
You like what you like. I love Fairy Tail and Shingekin no Kyojin, I don't see the problem.
GatorJun 24, 2016 3:52 AM
Jun 24, 2016 1:22 AM

Apr 2010
It means you love all kind of stuff. People who have very similar animes thay love (or watch). pretentiousness? I don't think.

Jun 24, 2016 2:13 AM

Sep 2015
...Why would it be pretentious? Your favourite anime are your favourite anime. They may or may not conform to a trend. All of mine have a focus on comedy, whether it's the prime focus (Detroit Metal City) or has humorous situations in it occasionally (Shouwa Genroku).

I'd say no matter how broad one's tastes are, there's going to be some sort of pattern in their favourites, unless they've specifically set out to make them as diverse as possible. Everyone has their preferences, even if they like everything / most things. Shouwa Genroku might be vastly different in style and tone to the rest of my favourites, but that's a mark of just how much I liked it and how excellent it was. But there's still a clear pattern in the rest of my favourites, so even when there's the odd 1-3 anime that are different from the rest, you can still get the underlying idea behind them all.

jaesuk97 said:
Who cares?

It's your choice to like what you want.

But if you think Rakudai and Fairy Tail are as good as Tatami Galaxy and LoGH then you probably don't have a concrete set of values that makes a good anime for you.

Is this a bad thing? No. But it just means that your opinion has less credibility because of inconsistency.

Personally I think Rakudai Kishi and Fairy Tail are terrible anime but it's up to you to enjoy what you like.

Having an anime as your favourite =/= thinking it's good or high in quality.
Not to mention that you can't even compare Rakudai and Fairy Tail to Tatami Galaxy and LogH. They set out to entertain in vastly different ways, so comparisons of quality are meaningless.

flannan said:
CapitalistGod said:

That's the kind of list I expect from a person who actually liked some of the "elitist" shows. It shows that the maker it a real person who has some way of choosing which shows he/she likes beyond "these shows are praised by the elitist crowd a lot".
Even if I am unable to understand what do these shows have in common.

So if someone has a set of favourites it makes them less of a real person? What sort of bullshit logic is that?

If someone had all ecchi harem anime as their favourites, they wouldn't be written off as being unreal, so why the double standard when it comes to "elitist" anime? They all have something in common, so it makes sense for one to enjoy them all. The same for any style or genre of anime.

I really can't understand this bullshit hypocrisy thrown at those who like a certain style of anime.
MazJun 24, 2016 2:18 AM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 24, 2016 2:46 AM

Jul 2013
Unless you are a poser, that just means you likes many different things and that your taste is wide. Just that.
Jun 24, 2016 2:55 AM

Apr 2015
Oh cmon, some of the top 50 reviewers here even have Elfen Lied on their Favorites, what's wrong with that?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

29 by Nirinbo »»
3 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

39 by Tirinchas »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

186 by Zarutaku »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

24 by M_MASTER »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.