Forum Settings
Forums

Is having an inconsistent kind of anime as favorites a sign that a person has widened his/her horizons? Or its just pretentiousness?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 25, 2016 10:10 PM

Aug 2015
It's only the sign that a person has acquired divine shit taste!

JK
Jun 25, 2016 10:19 PM

Oct 2011
The first choice, you need to have variety in your watching experience after all.
Jun 25, 2016 11:29 PM

Aug 2014
hmmm idk ... how does my list looks like? [including manga]

Jun 26, 2016 12:46 AM

Feb 2015
At least you don't have

the most boring taste in anime
Jun 26, 2016 2:14 AM

Dec 2015
I consider myself to have a pretty wide taste. And I try to watch anime from different genres - watching too much of 1 genre at the same time (I mainly only watch airing anime) is getting boring. If I haven't watched a lot of 1 genre for some time even average anime might already feel really good to watch.

I tried to show that with my favorites. There might be genre or anime of certain mood where I really don't like much. But they are rare (cyperpunk with lots of talking a la GitS or Lain or stuff like Ergo Proxy I don't like - also no boring endless shoujo with slow progress please).

But I have LotgH, Ping Pong (serious and good char development and even sports a bit). On the other hand also fantasy like Densetsu Yuusha that is just fun. And even a bit comedy (even though I don't like most comedy): D-Frag which was a good comedy mixed with other stuff.

But I don't even think it is inconsistend. Because they were good - at least in my opinion. For stuff like Cavalry to be put together with other anime ... well that seems a bit inconsistend to me.

But don't we all like to go look at other peoples list just to say "you liked A why do you not like B - which is similar ... and why do you like C which is totally different and crap"? It just depends on the explanation and people might have their reasons. We don't know them from only looking at the list.
Jun 26, 2016 2:22 AM

May 2009
Like what you like. I don't get why the hell people make a big deal out of this. I don't find how it is relevant to being pretentious if you simply like an anime that is fundamentally different to your other favourites. I see no problem there. I guess it is a sign that that certain person appreciates different kinds of anime. There's no such thing as 'casual' or 'elitist' anime. Those labels are merely a ridiculous social construct that people perceive as which has become a culture in these threads. Anime is anime. Full stop.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 26, 2016 2:27 AM

Dec 2015
Sukeroku said:
Like what you like. I don't get why the hell people make a big deal out of this. I don't find how it is relevant to being pretentious if you simply like an anime that is fundamentally different to your other favourites. I see no problem there. I guess it is a sign that that certain person appreciates different kinds of anime. There's no such thing as 'casual' or 'elitist' anime. Those labels are merely a ridiculous social construct that people perceive as which has become a culture in these threads. Anime is anime. Full stop.

I 100% agree with you. That's not to say that there aren't casual/elitist anime viewers, but honestly who gives a shit about that even (besides the anime elitist themselves), so no skin off our backs lol.
Jun 26, 2016 3:07 AM

Nov 2009
kamisama751 said:
flannan said:

Indeed. That's exactly the reason I consider OP's favorites list to be a proper one - it does include some "elitist" anime, but does include anime outside the elitist list. This is evidence the OP thinks for himself.

But you still claim that there are elitist anime so you didn't clear anything. You are just being dodgy.

Indeed I do. Your consistent attempts to prove that "elitists" do not exist make me angry. Do you think I have no memory?
Jun 26, 2016 3:19 AM

May 2009
Cejara said:
Sukeroku said:

I 100% agree with you. That's not to say that there aren't casual/elitist anime viewers, but honestly who gives a shit about that even (besides the anime elitist themselves), so no skin off our backs lol.

People who belittle others for their taste in anime are non-existent in my radar. For personal entertainment or not, it's rather pathetic and childish regardless of whatever reasoning or justification they conclude with. (despite how 'correct' they seem.)

LOL ----> "Just because you are correct doesn't mean that you are Right" - Emiya Shirou.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 26, 2016 3:50 AM

Nov 2014
Unless you are are a professional rater it's all individually subjective and most likely subjective based on the individuals state of mind at the time.

I must say though for the majority or series that are super highly rated I can sort of understand why even if I don't fully individually agree.
Jun 26, 2016 6:15 AM

Mar 2014
The fact you need others to confirm your taste is enough to consider you (specifically) pretentious.

But for others, who don't look for other's advice, it means jack shit except for them just being capable of enjoying different genres of the medium.
Jun 26, 2016 6:21 AM

Mar 2016
It's pure pretentiousness OP.

Masterpieces like LOGH and shit like

Rakudai

shouldn't even be on the same sentence.
Jun 26, 2016 6:29 AM

Feb 2015
You just have both shit taste and elitist taste, op

truly you da god
Jun 26, 2016 7:57 AM

Oct 2013
It just mean the person doesn't give a shit on what people think of them and isn't looking to fit into any particular group.
Jun 26, 2016 8:02 AM

Feb 2013
Choostopher said:
Unless you are are a professional rater it's all individually subjective and most likely subjective based on the individuals state of mind at the time.

I must say though for the majority or series that are super highly rated I can sort of understand why even if I don't fully individually agree.
lol proffesional rater
who would pay someone to rate stuff
Jun 26, 2016 8:10 AM

May 2015
romagia said:
Choostopher said:

lol proffesional rater
Technically every youtuber (at least most of them/the most popular ones) that makes reviews. And some even have patreon to actually get paid for creating their content.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 8:18 AM

Feb 2013
zal said:
romagia said:
lol proffesional rater
Technically every youtuber (at least most of them/the most popular ones) that makes reviews. And some even have patreon to actually get paid for creating their content.
jesus christ, how horrifying .___.
Jun 26, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
flannan said:

Indeed. That's exactly the reason I consider OP's favorites list to be a proper one - it does include some "elitist" anime

Where the hell can I find the "elitist anime" list? Throw me a link, will ya?
Jun 26, 2016 10:06 AM

Oct 2013
So now theres rules on what anime are allowed to be your favourites. wow......
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 26, 2016 10:09 AM

Nov 2013
I'm sorry I like lots of different kind of shows. I'm sorry I don't stick to one genre. I'm sorry I want different kinds of shows in different moods.
Jun 26, 2016 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
My favorites are mainstream and different.
40% of my favorite are key's anime adaptation or original tho.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jun 26, 2016 12:51 PM

Nov 2009
Ecchi_Hater_9000 said:
flannan said:

Indeed. That's exactly the reason I consider OP's favorites list to be a proper one - it does include some "elitist" anime

Where the hell can I find the "elitist anime" list? Throw me a link, will ya?

I would like such a link myself too. And a collection of links to acute cases of elitism.
I'm too busy to research it myself.
flannanJun 27, 2016 4:26 AM
Jun 26, 2016 12:54 PM

Nov 2014
zal said:
romagia said:
lol proffesional rater

I was thinking more on the lines of wine raters where it their opinion is sought after commercially forgetting Youtube is probably giving rise to a new way of finding experts.
Jun 26, 2016 1:04 PM

Feb 2010
Who judges that 'consistency' anyway? Some random elitist anime lists from reddit? Why is it inconsistent? When does it stop being inconsistent? Only if your top 5 shows are 5 anime by Yuasa? Otherwise you're inconsistent in terms of the director of your favorite anime.

As you can see whatever is meant by 'inconsistent' favorites is already so dubiously subjective that it's impossible for me to say anything definite about it. Inconsistent favorites only exist in the head of the person who perceives them as inconsistent.

Which usually shouldn't be the person who picks those favorites tho so that part confuses me a bit. If you just picked your favorites naturally shouldn't they feel consistent to you? Once you start paying so much attention to highlight how inconsistent they are things are getting more suspicious since specifically picking favorites that you consider inconsistent could very well be a prententious act if you let us believe you didn't pick them with that specific purpose in mind.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 26, 2016 1:05 PM

May 2015
Choostopher said:
zal said:

I was thinking more on the lines of wine raters where it their opinion is sought after commercially forgetting Youtube is probably giving rise to a new way of finding experts.
Even professional raters do have some degree of subjectivity, their recognition is in being able to identify certain characteristics and having a great expertise but the final decision is still influenced by their taste too to at least a minimum degree.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 1:17 PM

Dec 2014
NO! The list is meant to let you choose the anime you enjoyed the most. Your choices does not influence your level of inteligence, view of the world, the spiritual level, your political affiliation, your chances of becoming a magical girl and any other shit like that. Is just some dumb shows that you enjoyed.
Jun 26, 2016 1:18 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
You know what you have things on your favorites for, and that's all that really matters. If you have LotGH on your faves to look like you're not some casual or something, then that's what it is. If you have them on your list because you actually like them, then that's what it is. We can sit here and guess about someone's favorites all day and assume about why they put them there, but really only the user of the faves will know or at least it's really only their business unless they make it everyone else's business.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jun 26, 2016 3:57 PM

May 2015
flannan said:
ashfrliebert said:
The argument here is that an anime can have an elitist fanbase but it can't be an elitist anime, and if an anime has an elitist fanbase that doesn't necessarily everyone who watches it an elitist.

Indeed. That's exactly the reason I consider OP's favorites list to be a proper one - it does include some "elitist" anime, but does include anime outside the elitist list. This is evidence the OP thinks for himself.

no it's not, a user likes naruto, legend of galactic heroes and mars of destruction. But since they can't be shonen lovers, elitist or (the opposite of elitist) people with objectively bad taste all at once, this is evidence that the user is an elitist following a group of 30 friends and favoriting their favs to fit in and feel superior to everyone outside their circle.

you never know who the true elitist among you is
N E V E R T R U S T A N Y O N E

edit: the elitist attempted to brain wash me trust me i know.
ashfrliebertJun 26, 2016 8:31 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 26, 2016 7:39 PM

Jan 2016
ziggy_Z said:
The fact you need others to confirm your taste is enough to consider you (specifically) pretentious.

But for others, who don't look for other's advice, it means jack shit except for them just being capable of enjoying different genres of the medium.

I just made this for discussion because the topic interests me....(and the answers are being entertaining now compared to the first page...haha!)

I don't really care, I just gave myself as an example cause I have a varied taste. Just FYI. XD
Jun 27, 2016 12:29 AM

Aug 2015
I actually have not added anything to my favorites yet.... Gonna do it when I feel like it

Well, my signature says my top 3 already lol

My favorites is not gonna contain the "philosophical" anime that everyone just loves lol

I honestly haven't seen them. The animation kinda puts me off (argh, I don't rly care, judge me all you want)

I've seen 116 days of anime in total already so I should've seen those at one point but I didn't

It's also not gonna include a lot of the "classics" (I'm not gonna name them but you probably know what I'm talking about) cos well, I didn't like them mainly because I'm not that fond of episodic stuff and I didn't grow up with them.

I grew up with the big 4 obviously, Gash bell, and Zenki
Jun 27, 2016 1:09 AM
Jul 2018
There is nothing wrong with some level of variety
It's the spice of life, isn't it?
Jun 27, 2016 2:43 AM
May 2009
Nope I see no problem with Inconsistancy.
Your Favourites are yours. They are what you enjoy.
Its find if you found Legend of the Galactic heroes to be awesome, and than also added something like Pretty cure to your list, its fine.

The list is yours.
Jun 27, 2016 4:42 AM

Nov 2009
ashfrliebert said:
flannan said:

no it's not, a user likes naruto, legend of galactic heroes and mars of destruction. But since they can't be shonen lovers, elitist or (the opposite of elitist) people with objectively bad taste all at once, this is evidence that the user is an elitist following a group of 30 friends and favoriting their favs to fit in and feel superior to everyone outside their circle.

you never know who the true elitist among you is
N E V E R T R U S T A N Y O N E

edit: the elitist attempted to brain wash me trust me i know.

I said "evidence", not "proof" for a reason.
As a general rule, I don't need exact knowledge of other people's personalities to speak with them online. It's just in case that a discussion is going nowhere, that I need to check if my opponent is not, in fact, an elitist tsundere who can't admit to liking SAO and keeps criticizing it for this reason. In this case, looking at his/her profile is worth the time.

Pullman said:
If you just picked your favorites naturally shouldn't they feel consistent to you?

For example, my favorites have accumulated over time, and they are very different anime with nothing in common beyond "they appeal to me personally more than any score can indicate".
First Squad is there because I find their concept of magic/supernatural to be very right. To anybody who doesn't share my influences, undead pioneers summoned to fight one more time will seem totally random. It's also there because many other russians don't share my love of it.
But Dog Days is there just because I like animal-eared girls, cuteness, fanservice, and non-lethal fighting, and Dog Days is probably the most heart-warming combination of these good things.
Jun 27, 2016 4:45 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Being open-minded makes you pretentious? What? I really don't see how that makes any sense
Jun 27, 2016 4:46 AM

Nov 2009
kamisama751 said:
But you still claim that there are elitist anime so you didn't clear anything.

Indeed, I do claim that there is a category of anime that can be referred to as "elitist" anime. There is exactly one property that defines this category: they're "approved" by "elitists".
Similar anime that aren't famous don't count as elitist anime.
Jun 27, 2016 6:33 PM

Apr 2015
Now I have Prison School in my favorites. Judge me not, but you probably won't found as much femdom related fetish in hentai as in Prison School.
Jul 10, 2016 8:01 AM

Mar 2016
What about if you consistently watch inconsistently?
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 5 hours ago

15 by Starchaser »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

169 by Jackson1333 »»
6 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 10 hours ago

6 by Nirinbo »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

18 by WatchTillTandava »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 1 hour ago

6 by MedK001 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.