Forum Settings
Forums

If you get a sex change, are you "really" that gender?[poll]

New
Do you actually change gender if you get a sex change?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 25, 2016 4:42 PM
May 2015
Caffeine said:
yes if you get a sex change you are really that gender.

those who oppose;
did it kill you???? no?? then mind your own business
sure 'biology may not agree' but who gives a fuck? if a person feels like they don't belong in their body and they don't resonate with their gender, then why hurt that person by telling them they're "wrong"?
it's not an act of deceit or convincing anyone, it's a personal endeavor.
and if you think this is some new "mental illness", you can literally search up "trans in history" and you'll get proof of this "phenomenon" from the 1930s, 1900s, 1800s, pre-1800s, and in ancient civilizations as well. this isn't some new millennials mental disorder. though mental disorders come hand in hand with being trans or having any other sort of gender dysphoria.

how about people just start respecting one another regarding how they feel with themselves and their bodies.
you people are bigots.

^this tbh.
Just let 'em be whatever they want, they're not hurting anyone.
Jun 26, 2016 1:18 PM

Jul 2012
Yes because they went through all of that trouble to be seen as the gender they've been seeing in themselves all along.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 1:29 PM

Jan 2016
I'm kinda lost on the definition of "really" in this context, but I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand, you've got the genitals of the opposite sex, albeit essentially fake, but on the other hand, you're still of your biological sex for the most part.
Jun 26, 2016 2:15 PM

May 2015
actually no until he has ovaries, an uterus, female hormones and titties, then he will classify as a female. if not he is technically not a female, but they will probably like being called "She" because she wants to be a she, some people feel dysphoria that means ur in male body but u feel like girl it's like ur trapped. maybe I would lose some weight eat like a girl and stuff and let my hair grow, become like hideyoshi basically then i would be happi with myself xD, would be shit tbh if you have a realllyy manly body and face.. tbh my face is not "overly" manly I feel maybe i could dress up as girl if i want i don't feel like doing that tbh, but i'm 16 maybe it'll change when I'm 20 (my hair and body build), maybe i could rev up some astrogens and become girl if i want yeah, but changing my insides completely changing my body would for me at least go to far, if someone is willing to take that step let them do it.
Jun 26, 2016 2:23 PM

Feb 2014
deep down i'm like you were born as a guy so you're male.. but i suppose if he goes and gets his weenie turned into a vagina, takes the hormones and makes an effort to look female... to me that'd make him a female instead
Jun 26, 2016 2:32 PM

Sep 2015
I chose "no" because you can have sex change surgery without changing gender. They're different things. Sex cannot be completely changed, but I still call people what they want to be called
Jun 26, 2016 10:37 PM

Mar 2016
why y'all so obsessed with other people's dicks and chromosomes and ability to have kids and stuff?

if someone loses their dick in an accident or has a hysterectomy, does that change their gender?

it doesn't really have anything to do with you. mind ya business.
Jun 26, 2016 10:42 PM

Dec 2009
No. I don't care. The fact stays you were born with one.
Jun 26, 2016 11:46 PM

Apr 2016
I assume it's more out of a personal comfort, even if they condition themselves through hormones, therapy, and surgeries. In and of it all it's the closet reality they can ever attain of being themselves.

Assuming, they would know all the knock backs... it's not admirable or appreciated at most and it is selfish but if not for being willing to take anything in general, the opportunity would've gone to waste or have been taken by another.

What would that make you feel? Regret or envy, obviously. These feelings eat at people depending on how personal the subject or object and it grows worse over time.

You can sort of see why people can go mad.

Realistically speaking, no. You can play and look the part but never be. Though that doesn't make them any less of a person that they were before but the opposite in their eyes.

Enen no Shouboutai - Joker
Jun 27, 2016 7:20 PM

Dec 2014
No operation can change your Chromosomes.
Jun 27, 2016 7:42 PM

Aug 2013
ooji said:
You're what you want to be. Wanna be bird? Okay, then you're a bird!
It's really that simple because it's about your mind.

Until you jump off a building flapping your wings of course.

Maiyno said:

Realistically speaking, no. You can play and look the part but never be.

Thats why it never worked for me. Maybe im a one off on this but when you look in a mirror and see someone else staring back and its like looking from inside someone elses skin and eyes then dressing that skin up just isn't good enough. I fail to see how it would fix the inherent issue and if you literally only have to dress different to make those feels subside then seems more a simply mental image issue over some deep rooted biological issue. Dress it up, modify it all you want the sex of your body won't change it will still be wrong and it should still feel wrong even with long hair thrown on it.
SpooksJun 27, 2016 7:50 PM
Jun 27, 2016 7:52 PM

Aug 2013
ooji said:
Spooks said:

You can be a bird without wings. Like I said, it's about your mind.

Thats getting too far into some otherkin territory for my taste

Jun 27, 2016 7:58 PM

Dec 2015
well this is why you say TRANSGENDER, to indicate that you have had a sex change but your are now the gender that you turned into.

Unless you are a doctor, or an important offical that requires the person past records, then there is no reason for any other stranger or individual to get all pissy about calling the person the sex they changed to or gender they identify as.
So I'm sorry, but idk why people get bent out of shape over gender identity or transgender people.

Wanna be called a she, but you were born a man? I'm cool with that.
Of course you have to write something different on your medical records, but what the fuck do I care? I ain't nobody's doctor and that isn't shit I need to give a fuck about if I ain't one.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 27, 2016 8:40 PM

Sep 2012
Depends on how you define gender.

Is it based on looks? This one is the silliest. You don't have to reach far to come up with feminine looking cis-men and masculine looking cis-women. Your physical appearance is as every bit changeable as your wardrobe.

Is it based on secondary sex characteristics? Surgery and hormones solve that problem. Want some tits? Bam, have some tits.

Is it based on primary sex characteristics? Again, surgery solves this. Gimme a vagina doc!

Is it based on reproductive ability? Well, I guess that vasectomy my father got makes him no longer a man. Thanks Obama.

Is it based on "chromosomes"? This is getting more and more arbitrary and pointless. Chromosomes on their own don't actually do anything directly, as far as your adult body is concerned. They basically create chain reactions that down the line create our phenotypes. They're basically blueprits to a skyscraper. Yes, they play an important role, but in the end, skyscrapers are built out of steel and brick. Not pieces of blue paper.

What causes a baby to develop into a male instead of a female? Is it a Y chromosome?

Nope. It's a specific gene on the Y chromosome. Without that gene, the Y chromosome doesn't do, pardon the pun, dick for developing a fetus into a male. And presence of this gene in individuals without a Y chromosome still develop a male fetus.

Ok, so it's not the "chromosome". Maybe it's based on this specific gene?

Well, this gene, SRY, creates a protein that causes certain hormones to be produced which causes events to take place in the body that cause certain body parts to wither away and other body parts to develop. The end result are phenotypes (your primary sex characteristics) that can be altered and changed, as described above, in any way we like. Your genes are microscopic molecules of nucleic acids. They themselves in their own tangible existence independent of their down-the-line expressed phenotypes don't mean fuck all to you or what "gender" somebody is. "How it started" doesn't suddenly define what the end product is. You can follow a recipe to bake a cookie. And then when you take that cookie and mix it with ice cream and put it in a blender, the end result is no longer a cookie; it is a blended smoothie. The original recipe you followed means jack: your "cookie" is now liquid and in a cup. Drink up, asshole.

Basically, arguing "it's chromosomes" or "it's genes" is like arguing that a synthetic diamond isn't actually a diamond. Even though the crystal structure and chemical makeup is exactly the same as a "natural" diamond. Because reasons.

Is it based on some sort of abstract concept outside of a person's actual present physical body? Like "what they were born as" or "authentic" or "natural"? As far as I'm concerned this isn't important at all. It's an essentialist argument that is not only useless and arbitrary, but relies on ignoring physical reality in favor of your own abstractions.

If somebody has a heart transplant, it's ridiculous to insist that the heart inside their body is actually not their heart, and it's function is to be ignored. Laser corrective eye surgery doesn't somehow make your improved vision imaginary or inauthentic. Chemotherapy patients aren't suddenly not-bald because they weren't born with suppressed hair follicles.

Your body is a collection of cells and tissues. They can be altered. They are still yours. And they are still real. Bodies are tangible; they exist in reality. "Gender" does not.
Red_KeysJun 27, 2016 8:45 PM
Jun 27, 2016 9:09 PM

Jan 2013
@Red_Keys
You have made the best post by far in this thread.
Glad to see that there people out there who don't limit sex into just one parameter.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Jun 28, 2016 12:47 AM

May 2009
To me, gender and sex are the same thing, and I find the whole fluidity of genders to be utterly ridiculous.

You can make yourself look as much like a man or woman as much as you want, but that doesn't change what your genetic code says you are. And often, the result isn't all that good, simply because males and females are built differently by nature.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2016 1:06 AM

Dec 2012
Sex changes don't exist. It's called mutilating your body to play make believe.

Gender is part of those things you just have to deal with. An African bleaching his skin doesn't undo his African heritage. At the core of it, you are what you were born as and nature knows far better than you do. Gender roles/expectations are man made constructs and people shouldn't be restricted by those. I'm a grown man who loves girly things, I don't need to be a girl to make my interests more valid.
Jun 28, 2016 1:20 AM

Apr 2016
Spooks said:
ooji said:
You're what you want to be. Wanna be bird? Okay, then you're a bird!
It's really that simple because it's about your mind.

Maiyno said:

Realistically speaking, no. You can play and look the part but never be.

Thats why it never worked for me. Maybe im a one off on this but when you look in a mirror and see someone else staring back and its like looking from inside someone elses skin and eyes then dressing that skin up just isn't good enough. I fail to see how it would fix the inherent issue and if you literally only have to dress different to make those feels subside then seems more a simply mental image issue over some deep rooted biological issue. Dress it up, modify it all you want the sex of your body won't change it will still be wrong and it should still feel wrong even with long hair thrown on it.

Even if it is just appearance and the attempt to live as a woman or a man, they're fine with it and you just weren't. That's why some go as far for hormone therapy or SRS. Especially if not's something you're keen on pursuing and maybe it was just about appearing as the opposite sex for one reason or another.
LokxeyJun 28, 2016 1:23 AM

Enen no Shouboutai - Joker
Jun 28, 2016 1:31 AM

Jan 2015
No, you wont be that gender. I know it's mighty fucking big, nasty pill to swallow, but swallow it you most certainly mother fucking will...
Jun 28, 2016 1:48 AM
Dec 2014
Caffeine said:
yes if you get a sex change you are really that gender.

those who oppose;

[...]

I disagree, but that doesn't mean I oppose.

There is two factors here. Definition, and identity.

As far as identity is concerned, I am on the side that believes that people can believe whatever they want to be.. well, as long as what they want to be isn't a murderer or some kind of criminal. So if someone wants to believe that s/he is a particular gender, or some kind of mystical creature, be my guest.

However, we do have biological classification. There is a necessity for that, and it's not going away. If you are XX you are female, if you are XY, you are male by definition (*). So if the "really" in the poll means does it change you into a biological male/female, then the answer is no. We do not have that technology yet. If one day we are able to genetically modify someone after they are born, and it's part of sex change procedure, then I'll change my answer then.

There is nothing to gain, and perhaps something to lose with trying to change what people identifies themselves as. That is not to say that we scientific definitions should take individual choices into account.

(*) And yes, I am aware there are people with 45 chromosomes or 47 chromosomes, including XXY and XXX etc. For those, I will once again refer back to scientific classifications.
AxBattlerJun 28, 2016 1:53 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 6 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
4 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 5 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 10 hours ago

18 by deg »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

10 by Dracowyn »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.