Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 23, 2016 3:59 AM

Jun 2016
I've watched Eva 2 years ago and it didn't impressed me that much,I dropped it in ep19 and I failed to understand why it is considered a landmark in anime history.
currently I'm writing a review about the series after I continue the remaining episodes,so I want your help.
Maybe it's 2deep4me
Jun 23, 2016 4:01 AM
Apr 2013
Because it have multiple crucifix-shaped explosions.
Jun 23, 2016 4:35 AM

Jun 2016
worldeditor11 said:
Because it have multiple crucifix-shaped explosions.

seems a valid reason
Jun 23, 2016 4:48 AM

May 2008
In all seriousness, it's because when it came out, it had done a lot of stuff that hadn't been done before. It was also a lot of people's first exposure to anime (at least in the English-speaking world, dunno about elsewhere) and it has a strong nostalgic factor tied to it.

It inspired lots of other series, even though giant robots had been a thing since the... 70s or so.

To be fair, I didn't like it either, but it did play an important role in shaping the anime world. There's nothing that deep or amazing about it (and it drove the creator to depression/insanity, which is why the last few episodes are so chaotic I guess) and people like to read too deep into it but it was good for its time. Nowadays, though, it's really not much if viewed as a standalone series, all influence aside.
Jun 23, 2016 4:55 AM

Jun 2015
It deviated from standards, and it had an interesting cast.
Jun 23, 2016 5:07 AM

Oct 2015
Simply because it subverted a lot of standard anime tropes at the time, and a lot of the audience were having the same societal issues Shinji experiences so it was easy for viewers to get hooked.
Jun 23, 2016 5:50 AM

Mar 2014
How many other shows dealt with these themes and has these kinds of characters back when it aired?

This is 'revolutionary' for the same reason DBZ is in the West.
Jun 23, 2016 9:49 AM

Jun 2016
Zazie122 said:
In all seriousness, it's because when it came out, it had done a lot of stuff that hadn't been done before.

please can you give me some examples about these things that it hadn't done before
Jun 23, 2016 9:52 AM

Jun 2016
BRB-kun said:

Actually the cast was the reason why I dropped it at first the cast seems likeable and relatable but as the story progress their actions and interactions annoyed me and finally I grow to hate them.
Jun 23, 2016 9:57 AM

Jun 2015
bigmustache93 said:
BRB-kun said:

Actually the cast was the reason why I dropped it at first the cast seems likeable and relatable but as the story progress their actions and interactions annoyed me and finally I grow to hate them.
most people liked that part of the cast. To each their own, I guess.
Jun 23, 2016 10:22 AM

Nov 2015
what do you mean ground breaking? That's just a marketing term.

There are walls of text on evangelions history, popularity, successes, infamy and influence. If you are trying to find out why its a "landmark"(another marketing term) why are you trying to find the answer in the show. The answer to that is in the audience response.

Or are you just disputing the shows success because you didn't like it?
Jun 23, 2016 11:26 AM

Jun 2016
perje said:

are you just disputing the shows success because you didn't like it?

This, I don't understand why it's so successful.
Jun 24, 2016 8:29 PM
Jun 2016
I wrote a review on it just now, so check that out on my profile

tl;dr characters and character development. It's a mech anime deconstructing mech anime and it's more about the human psyche than anything else
Jun 24, 2016 8:34 PM

Jan 2009
its the first anime that is considered 2deep4me with all the mind fuck and psychological stuff in it, basically it started the 2deep4me anime shows like Madoka Magica and others
Jun 24, 2016 8:36 PM
Jan 2013
Cause the evas are really heavy
gone bai bai
Jun 24, 2016 8:44 PM

Oct 2013
I enjoy it because it has some similarities with gundam and I like gundam. I didn't see anything special about it though. To each their own.
Jun 25, 2016 2:47 AM

Jun 2016
MrStealYourNanay said:

tl;dr characters and character development. It's a mech anime deconstructing mech anime and it's more about the human psyche than anything else

a realy good review but don't you think 10 is too much for a show with visible flaws(from the ending to the pacing issue half way in the series to the animation problems and the feeling of silliness when they take the philosophical thing too far)
i begin to understand its appeal maybe it's because it didn't use the same type of characters that was used widely in mecha shows back in the days so i think people who would enjoy the show are the ones who could identify with its characters but still i don't find the characters relatable that's why i don't like it maybe evangelion isn't for me.
Jun 25, 2016 3:02 AM

May 2012
bigmustache93 said:
maybe evangelion isn't for me..

You had to create a topic, read everything everyone wrote just to understand that? I can't understand why people think they should like something.

People like Eva because they think it's good (i like it too). No matter how much you try to understand why people like something you don't, you never will.

I hated Plastic Memories, i think the anime was garbage and i can't understand how someone can like that shit, but the thing is, i don't need to understand and i really won't.
I despise woke people.
Jun 25, 2016 3:40 AM

Apr 2015
Because it has:
-Excessive Fanservice
-Harem tendencies with stereotypical characters
-Beta and Dense MC
-Memorable OP

That's why it becomes a pandering.
Jun 25, 2016 5:01 AM

Jun 2016
Kaetokiha said:
bigmustache93 said:
maybe evangelion isn't for me..

You had to create a topic, read everything everyone wrote just to understand that? I can't understand why people think they should like something.

People like Eva because they think it's good (i like it too). No matter how much you try to understand why people like something you don't, you never will.

I hated Plastic Memories, i think the anime was garbage and i can't understand how someone can like that shit, but the thing is, i don't need to understand and i really won't.

Calm down why are you so upset , we are just having fun here.
Jun 25, 2016 5:06 AM

Jan 2013
because rei is best girl
Jun 25, 2016 9:42 AM
Jun 2016
bigmustache93 said:
MrStealYourNanay said:

a realy good review but don't you think 10 is too much for a show with visible flaws(from the ending to the pacing issue half way in the series to the animation problems and the feeling of silliness when they take the philosophical thing too far)
i begin to understand its appeal maybe it's because it didn't use the same type of characters that was used widely in mecha shows back in the days so i think people who would enjoy the show are the ones who could identify with its characters but still i don't find the characters relatable that's why i don't like it maybe evangelion isn't for me.

A 10 definitely could be too much. But that honestly stems from how much I love the characters. As I said in my review, they feel like real people, and when they're put into the unreal situations of Evangelion, they might and will do stupid shit.

There are reasons Asuka is a bitch. There are reasons that Shinji is a bitch. There are reasons Gendo is the incarnation of the Devil himself, but because of the situation, I'm rooting for everyone to get through this, even Gendo, since his goals are so simple, and his passion for his goals is so admirable.

These characters are real and they're strong. Think about it this way. If you were in Shinji's or Asuka's shoes, would you be able to even continue living?

And that's just two characters out of the eight(?) that are in the show, that are all just as complex as these two. Their complexity runs deep. And they're admirable in that they can handle hardships that I can never dream of handling. Maybe that's why they seem hard to relate to, but think about their characters as if you were living their lives. Then I hope that you'd enjoy it as much as I did.
jetabongJun 25, 2016 9:46 AM
Jun 25, 2016 10:06 AM

Feb 2015
-heavy focus on psychology
-unique characters (for the time) + realistic developement
-no stereotypical bad guys
-unique mecha design
-great animation and music
Jun 25, 2016 2:27 PM
Jun 2016
dude, you're either gonna like eva or not like eva, no one on here is gonna convince you one way or the other lmao. if you can't see why it's groundbreaking, no one's gonna be able to explain it to you, and that's fine since nothing matters anyway so like whatever.
the idea of a "relatable" character is so dumb; you watch/read stuff to gain a new perspective, not to reinforce your own. eva shows you what would really happen if a 14 year old depressed kid was forced to pilot a giant robot without training & fight a giant alien thing. also, it has one of the only instances of a queer love story (in one episode, & it falls to the
trope, but whatever, it's still neat). the director literally doesn't care about the audience at all, and barely acknowledges he even has one beyond telling y'all not to jack off to 14 year old girls. either enjoy it or don't; don't force yourself to submit to it just cuz it's popularly controversial or whatever.
Jun 26, 2016 10:54 AM

Jun 2016
obliviscere said:
dude, you're either gonna like eva or not like eva, no one on here is gonna convince you one way or the other lmao. if you can't see why it's groundbreaking, no one's gonna be able to explain it to you, and that's fine since nothing matters anyway so like whatever.
the idea of a "relatable" character is so dumb; you watch/read stuff to gain a new perspective, not to reinforce your own. eva shows you what would really happen if a 14 year old depressed kid was forced to pilot a giant robot without training & fight a giant alien thing. also, it has one of the only instances of a queer love story (in one episode, & it falls to the
trope, but whatever, it's still neat). the director literally doesn't care about the audience at all, and barely acknowledges he even has one beyond telling y'all not to jack off to 14 year old girls. either enjoy it or don't; don't force yourself to submit to it just cuz it's popularly controversial or whatever.

I see so what make it unique was the portrayal of the teenager piloting a giant mecha in a realistic way but haven't gundam done that before way better(amuro rai).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
11 hours ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Today, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.