Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2016 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
When the Kinnikuman revival series started back in 2011 it had its own series page, but later it's been merged with the original series.

A mod gave the reasoning that since the revival series continued the original series' volume numbering (v.38 onward), two series pages were not needed.

Me and some people that posted their opinions in the Kinnikuman forum, agree that the revival series should have its own series page because the chapter numbering was reset to chapter 1.

My problem with this is that there is no consistency with the mod's reasoning. If you follow that reasoning then Jojo's Bizarre Adventure parts 1-5 should be on one series page because the volume numbering is v.1-63, and the chapter numbering was not reset at the start of a new part. It kept going from chapter 1-594.

If each Jojo part from 1-5 has its own page when the chapter numbering was not reset to 1, then why don't we have a separate series page for the Kinnikuman revival series when the chapter numbering was reset back to chapter 1?
Jun 21, 2016 4:55 PM

Jun 2014
+1

was planning on making a thread for this eventually, but yeah I don't know why this still hasn't been addressed after several years

It also changed serializations, going from Weekly Shounen Jump to Play News as a webcomic on Playboy's news site, making the demographic changed to Seinen.

There are already examples of manga series been given separate entries after restarting such as Hi no Tori (1967) or Rozen Maiden (2008).

Here is also a repost of my previous argument from a year ago

From what I've read of the recent chapters there's no way this can be considered a direct continuation. Characters from Nisei appear in it, making the reader need to have prior knowledge from that series. If you're reading these solely from Kinnikuman's chapters you would definitely be confused.

If it's the relations with the manga you're having trouble with then just count both Nisei and 2011 as the sequels.
Jun 21, 2016 7:53 PM
Mar 2011
i feel like the major point is that the volume number continues where it left off, which isn't the case for Hi no Tori, Rozen Maiden, and another example, Trigun.

Now Jojo 1-5 should obviously be 1 entry but the way i see it has been kept as separate as a special case, because most people would prefer it like that.

I like Kinnikuman being 1 entry, it makes more sense to me, but i guess not everyone feels that way?

Another point on Jojo, if it did get 1 entry, should part 6 be part of it? the chapter count resets but the volume count kinda continues as volume 1 (54) to 17 (80), like that with the total count in paranthesis.
Jun 21, 2016 8:21 PM

Jun 2014
Goobatron said:
I like Kinnikuman being 1 entry, it makes more sense to me, but i guess not everyone feels that way?

You can't mark Kinnikuman as finished because it's still publishing, and I can't even read the current chapters because only about two of them have been scanlated. It's more frustrating how it has a definite end, yet it's just stuck in limbo because there's no interest in the series anymore.
Jun 21, 2016 8:44 PM
Mar 2011
Jerkhov said:

You can't mark Kinnikuman as finished because it's still publishing, and I can't even read the current chapters because only about two of them have been scanlated. It's more frustrating how it has a definite end, yet it's just stuck in limbo because there's no interest in the series anymore.

Well it just makes sense that you can't mark it as completed if it's ongoing. And plenty of series continues even if it has a "definite end", like Dragon Ball.

Also Kinnikuman has been scanned up to volume 44, just gotta look harder.
Jun 22, 2016 11:11 AM

Jun 2014
Goobatron said:
Jerkhov said:

Well it just makes sense that you can't mark it as completed if it's ongoing. And plenty of series continues even if it has a "definite end", like Dragon Ball.

Also Kinnikuman has been scanned up to volume 44, just gotta look harder.

Mangaupdates never showed that Hercules Factory was doing a translation, and it doesn't seem to be hosted on other sites besides the direct download from their tumblr, so I assumed there weren't any further scans.

Regardless, it does end, which is why two sequels were already made by Yudetamago prior to the revival of Kinnikuman. Already continuing the story, which is something Dragon Ball did not do, apart from the modern one-shot prequel Dragon Ball minus, which is contained with Galactic Patrol Jaco and not with the main manga.
Jun 23, 2016 12:00 AM
Mar 2011
It did end but it also started again. Every source i can find has it as one series. I Just don't understand why you'd want it unnaturally split up, same for the PokeSpe thread.
Jun 23, 2016 12:43 AM

Jun 2014
Goobatron said:
It did end but it also started again. Every source i can find has it as one series. I Just don't understand why you'd want it unnaturally split up, same for the PokeSpe thread.

I've already told you why, demographic & serialization change plus continuity issues, arguing with you is pointless.
Jul 13, 2016 12:17 PM

Jun 2014
This still needs a mod to review this suggestion, as when it was denied last time these new facts weren't taken into consideration.
Sep 26, 2020 7:59 AM

Feb 2015
Can a manga even be re-started again? If a series officially ends and then gets a sequel years later, shouldn't that always count as a different series?

The only other manga that I know, which had something similar happen to it, is Otokozaka, but that manga was never finished, it was more on hiatus for decades (the last page even says "unfinished" instead of "the end".

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

131 by nerfsunny »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7686 by Barbaduk »»
Apr 23, 11:45 PM

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Apr 19

0 by Uutama »»
Apr 19, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Apr 18, 7:52 PM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.