Forum Settings
Forums
New
Who speak Engrish?
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 21, 2016 1:36 PM

Nov 2008
Harlequin said:
OT: Apparently most people here are polyglots.
It's international website, not so many native english speakers. This kind of sites tend to attract people who speak different languages.
HooHiraiBunnyJun 21, 2016 1:40 PM
Jun 21, 2016 1:51 PM

Jun 2014
Just English pretty much lmao, because I'm American and my grandma never taught my mom Japanese so I only learned words like 'chiisai' and 'kanpai' as a kid.

I took Spanish for two years and forgot everything because half of it got mixed up with Japanese when I started learning it.

So I'll say shit like 'Baño wa doko desu ka?'

I'm decent at Japanese, have the basics of the kana and beginner through intermediate kanji, basically at a 5th grade level, would study more but I have no motivation.
Jun 21, 2016 1:53 PM
Oct 2014
Noboru said:

@Rarusu_ : Those originally Frankish Words don't sound that Germanic anymore, though. I wouldn't really count them towards the native, Germanic Wordstock.

I thought Swedish had more in Common with the Continental Western Germanic Languages regarding their Word Order? For Example, the second Element in a Main Clause is always a Verb, while Object and Subject can be swapped as long as it's unambiguous, unlike with most Cases of Modern English.

What is the hardest Part with the German Grammar? The Word Order, the Verb Forms or the Inflections with the three Genders and four Cases ?

I think some of them are more adaptable than others. For instance, "abandon", "banish" or "lease" doesn't feel too foreign to me, but other examples like "allegiance" or "marque" does. I'm only going on my gut here, so that's what I think.

There was two Norwegian linguistics a few years ago who proposed that English should be considered a North Germanic language. I don't agree with it, but obviously, I guess there are a lot of similarities between English and mainland Scandinavian, even gramatically speaking. But there are major differences as well. For instance when it comes to the use of articles.

Genders and cases were the hardest part. Word order was very tricky sometimes, but other times very similar and easy to learn.

Jun 21, 2016 1:57 PM

Mar 2008
English and German, both fluently (or decently)

learned French for far too many years and I've forgotten nearly everything again
also learned Spanish
and I can somewhat understand spoken Tagalog
Jun 21, 2016 2:00 PM

Jun 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
Klingon
Elvish
Dothraki
And whatever nonsense language Ewoks speak.

The elvish is called Tengwar btw. And why no love for orcs? Sauron senpai is dissapointed.
Jun 21, 2016 2:05 PM

Jan 2009
Harlequin said:
I grew up in a small town in Austria and while German is expected, only dialect is spoken. I learnt it in school of course, albeit almost exclusively through writing. Nowadays I only use standard German, but it's not easy and I honestly think that heavy dialects need to die.
That's different from me, because I grew up with in a small City in Germany directly with the Standard German Language of the federal Republic, although there are some Characteristics I keep:

Do you speak Standard German in Austrian German or in federal German Accent?

As for the verbal Conversations, many in Europe have culturally mixed Parents or those, who live as a Minority in another Country and thus have at least two Languages, more or less.
Sure, English might be harder for me to speak than to write - especially when you can edit it in a written Conversation, as you've mentioned already - but it's still not that much of a Hurdle to hold a simple Conversation in English if you can already think in this Language while typing an Answer like this one. I don't use Edits that much btw. and if, then it's mostly about some Spelling Errors and less about improving my Style and/or fixing Mistakes in Grammar.
NoboruJun 21, 2016 11:36 PM
Jun 21, 2016 2:05 PM

Nov 2015
English (British) - Mother tongue.
French - I know a little bit, still learning.
German & Spanish - Want to learn.

Jun 21, 2016 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
I am a sad monolingual who speaks only english
Jun 21, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2012
just english and spanish. spanish was my first language, but it's really broken since my parents never really taught me how to speak it better as a kid rofl. i can understand some portuguese and italian too, and plan on learning french and japanese.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Jun 21, 2016 4:49 PM

Apr 2014
Noboru said:
The Videos don't work, unless you change the Code to
[yt]insert_letters_and_numbers_content_id_after_"v="_here[/yt]

Spanish has two different Synchronizations? Most of our Stuff is only dubbed in the Standard German Variety of the Federal Republic of Germany, because it's too costly when every Swiss and Austrian German speaker can easily enough understand it as well due to its Omnipresence.

Thanks for the advice.
The videos are ready.

Generally the dubs from Spain are only made for the Spaniards, while Hispanic America are and have been made by several countries like Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela and USA.
Spain's accent is too recognizable to the New World and they do not suppress or decrease their accent so there is often difficulty for feeling this accent familiar with the object of dubbing. For example, dubbing Metal Gear Solid only was dubbed by the Spaniard in all the Hispanic context and definitely was pretty good (see the video), however, I did not feel that Solid Snake was a Anglo-American but a Spaniard (the accent). That changed when the game stopped being dubbed.

Dubbing actors from Mexico, Colombia and Venezuelan have experience to suppress their national and regional accents, that seems to cause some "abstraction" that has the effect of associating more effective form the characters with their nations of origin (see the video of Rurouni Kenshin).
In any case, the differences between the different accents not prevent that we can understand between us very well (The Portuguese and French do not have that level). Also I have difficulty seeing India as an example for this matter because its mother tongue is not English and a language is not only a way to communicate, it is also a way of thinking.

I can see that you have a special appreciation for your language (something infrequent in Germanic cultures) so I'm pleasantly surprised. If I did not know you're German, I would think that you are Austrian.
By the way, we can absovers the beauties of other languages ​​better than any other language

Noboru said:
The Variety from Spain sounds much better between the two Spanish ones btw.

hahahaha
I guess that we can not do anything to change this, although I was not surprised because of certain characteristics shared by Spaniards and German (both are very frontal for example), but I wonder what the Spanish accents of the New World that you have heard already that are various Hispanic nations and in every one there varieties of accents.
For example, many Spaniards tend to have greater appreciation to Argentine accent than the own, adding that their intellectuals openly admit that we have greater appreciation to our language (Spanish) than them.
_Nemrod_Jun 21, 2016 4:58 PM

Jun 21, 2016 5:19 PM

May 2009
English - Native
Mandarin Chinese - Fluent
Japanese - Relatively Fluent
Taiwanese - Conversational
Tagalog (Filipino) - Forgotten a lot but can still understand and kinda speak it.
Spanish - Elementary proficiency.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 21, 2016 5:42 PM

Oct 2015
I speak English, I probably know a dozen-two dozen words in Spanish but I can't really understand it. as for other languages I know less then a dozen words in them.
Jun 21, 2016 6:15 PM

Aug 2013
I speak Indonesian and Chinese mandarin quite fluently (the latter of which i learned throughout the years from some chinatown denizens just next to my neighborhood), and to some degree, English - not very fluent, but at least allows me to understand some foreign tourists. I live in Bali after all.
Jun 21, 2016 6:56 PM

Mar 2015
Arabic-Mother language
English-I'm still trying to improve my english,But It's good overall.
I'm not interested in learning a third language.
Jun 21, 2016 7:18 PM
Jun 2016
I speak Marathi which is my mother tongue, Bengali which is my father tongue, Hindi, Dzongkha, A tiny bit of French, and English
Jun 21, 2016 9:42 PM
Mar 2016
order of fluency:
>>English - native
>>French
>>Japanese = Learning, can understand most spoken conversations, difficulty with kanji
>>German = Learning
>>Swedish = Learning
>>Russian = Learning
>>Greek = Learning
user5265111Jun 21, 2016 9:46 PM
Jun 21, 2016 9:51 PM
Mar 2016
Rarusu_ said:

It would be cool to learn a more ancient language like Old Norse.
if you learn Icelandic, you can read Old Norse. Icelandic hasn't changed much since those times
Jun 21, 2016 9:54 PM

Mar 2015
English- Native in Australia
Cantonese- Moderate
French-Beginner

Not much, but good enough for me.
Jun 21, 2016 11:18 PM

Jan 2009
@Rarusu_ : I'm perceiving the Words similar to you, although from the first three Words you've listed, only "banish" feels native Germanic to me, however, the other two Words just feel typically English to me.

Maybe it's too farfetched to consider English a North Germanic Language, but you can't deny the Angels and Jutes, who originated from the Area of modern Denmark and must have had thus similar Characteristics as well from them.

Doesn't come surprising, since the Case and Gender System is the one most Learners seem to struggle with. But at least, it doesn't sound as strange to have the wrong Case and/or Gender as if you had used the wrong Word Order. It flows better when at least the Framework is stable. Being fluent in a Language btw. doesn't necessarily mean that you have a rich Wordstock and know its Grammar perfectly, but that you can express yourself fluently with another Speaker.

@Tourist: You're welcome, but I've already copied the URLs from the Quote :P

Yeah, maybe it wasn't a fair Comparison if the Hispanic Variants have to suffer from a Deletion of Characteristics that are typically for the Country and/or Region of a Spanish Speaker from the New World. Clear Argentinian like this, doesn't sound as bad as the other Examples you've given:

There might be better Examples, but the Impression I have is that certain Regions in Latin America have their Fire or Spice in their Accents, but they tend to tone it down in Order to be easier understood with the other Spanish Speakers from that Region.

British Indian might not be the first Language for most, however it acts as an important, administrative Language and is the second Language for many.

Appreciation for your own Language is the best Way to keep it from being eliminated in your Family. German can also preserve the good Parts of the Language you're speaking, especially with Russian and French. In the first Video, Putin starts with Russian, makes a brief Statement in German saying that he begins his Speech in Russian and then switches back to Russian, before using German from this Point on.
In the second Video, the Moderator speaks German in the Standard Accent of the Federal Republic of Germany, while the Guest speaks the same Accent with his French Colorization.

Different regional Dialects like Eastern German, Badian or Bavarian within the same Country can already make a completely different Picture from how a Language sounds. Heck, there's even Low German that can be considered as an own Language, due to how different it sounds.

Here are some other Accents/Dialects as well:

Transsilvanian Saxon
NoboruJun 21, 2016 11:43 PM
Jun 21, 2016 11:30 PM

Jun 2016
In order of fluency:
English (born in Iraq but has lived in America since I was 6 months old)
Kurdish (I'm fluent but I have trouble on more complex sentences)
Spanish (took it for 5 years in school, I can get by if need be)
Arabic (both my parents speak it along with Kurdish and English, I know very little)
zeephyrsJun 21, 2016 11:48 PM
Jun 21, 2016 11:38 PM

Aug 2012
Portuguese: Native
English: Fluent
Spanish: Can comprehend, can't speak it.
German: Started learning, but screw it. Life is too short for that.
Jun 22, 2016 2:35 AM

Aug 2014
polish - my mother language
english - tbh i can only read in english, i have huge problem when i want to write or say smth
french - i'm learning it for 4 years now and still i can't understand anything xD
Jun 22, 2016 3:41 AM

Mar 2008
I still have trouble remembering how to speak other languages since I have not learned enough i can rad and speak which I think might be why its harder to remember since I cant regularly use any French or German or Norwegian. I can just form random made up sentences but they dont flow in conversation since I lack certain words.
Jun 22, 2016 6:30 AM
Oct 2014
Noboru said:
@Rarusu_ : I'm perceiving the Words similar to you, although from the first three Words you've listed, only "banish" feels native Germanic to me, however, the other two Words just feel typically English to me.

Maybe it's too farfetched to consider English a North Germanic Language, but you can't deny the Angels and Jutes, who originated from the Area of modern Denmark and must have had thus similar Characteristics as well from them.

Doesn't come surprising, since the Case and Gender System is the one most Learners seem to struggle with. But at least, it doesn't sound as strange to have the wrong Case and/or Gender as if you had used the wrong Word Order. It flows better when at least the Framework is stable. Being fluent in a Language btw. doesn't necessarily mean that you have a rich Wordstock and know its Grammar perfectly, but that you can express yourself fluently with another Speaker.

There are quite a bunch of them, English Latinates of Germanic origin. However, all of them does not necessarily originate from Frankish alone.

Perhaps English and Scots could be considered a Germanic branch of their own. I think it would have been cool if they used this Þorn letter again.

Funny about cases and genders is that the influence of German did so that our former system of cases collapsed. We would have been speaking more similar to Icelandic today, if German wouldn't have been so prevalent during our medieval era.

Jun 22, 2016 8:35 AM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
There are quite a bunch of them, English Latinates of Germanic origin. However, all of them does not necessarily originate from Frankish alone.

Perhaps English and Scots could be considered a Germanic branch of their own. I think it would have been cool if they used this Þorn letter again.

Funny about cases and genders is that the influence of German did so that our former system of cases collapsed. We would have been speaking more similar to Icelandic today, if German wouldn't have been so prevalent during our medieval era.
True, but most has been brought via Frankish, especially Germanic Terms with a "w" mutated to "gu" or "g" in Romance Languages, cf. "la guerra/la guerre" => "the war".
The Old French Name Gaul for the French also comes highly-likely from a Germanic Source, because a Latin "g" would have shifted to a "j".

English is considered its own Branch together with Frisian:

I find it much more useful if they just get rid of the "th" Sound and use a "d", because it's much easier to pronounce, which is what the People speaking Old High German Dialects had found out over 1000 Years ago.

Well, the Normans (Men from the North) also didn't like the Case Systems, so they over-simplified it when they conquered England. But still, that makes me wonder what was the Problem with the Influence of the German Language and why it's pretty much the only modern Germanic Language aside from Icelandic, that has preserved lots of its grammatical Features.
Jun 22, 2016 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
Fluent in English
Basic French (good at vocabulary, bad at grammar)
Jun 22, 2016 9:52 AM

Oct 2015
Luthandorius said:

Since I am from an area in Germany where we speak dialect that is similar "Pennsylvania German/Dutch" I can understand those people a bit.

Plattdütsch ? I can understand it, and I once was able to "mimic" or "simulate" it (buten-Bremen dialect), but sadly no more. :(

----------------
German - native
English - started learning it in school in the 5th grade, but once in grade 7 we started learning
French - I fell in love with it and practically abandoned English, just kept up with it enough to pass in school.
Learning French in school by non-French teachers, then going to France for the first time : what a shock! The French all spoke exactly those ways where our French teachers took so much effort in that we would not. I almost fell into hysteric laughter when French really called bread "Päng" (Catalonie). I still like the language much, and the French people overall. (not them FN-dickheads, though)
I have always been received very nicely, also in Eastern France, also by older folks, even though I am German and back in the 1980's this still meant sth. .
At my very best, I was able to act as a live-interpreter, and for a while I was mistaken for being Belgian/ from Brussels. While this isn't that much of a compliment for my French in itself - when you're German it is an achievement.
Ever since I had my teeth rearranged (early 20s) I have not been able to pronounce as well as before. :(

Spanish - From a certain level on, I find it even nicer/ prettier than French. These days I am more fluent in Spanish than French. But after a few days in France, it all comes back.

Danish - mostly passive, I can understand and read it, speaking it is more acting as if I could.

I can read easy texts, resp. when I also am firm in the subject, in Swedish and Italian.
BannoBunka_snorkJun 22, 2016 9:58 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jun 22, 2016 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
Turkish- Mother tongue
English
German- Learning
Japanese- Learning
Jun 22, 2016 10:06 AM

Dec 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:
Luthandorius said:

Since I am from an area in Germany where we speak dialect that is similar "Pennsylvania German/Dutch" I can understand those people a bit.

Plattdütsch ? I can understand it, and I once was able to "mimic" or "simulate" it (buten-Bremen dialect), but sadly no more. :(
No I don't think I can understand that. The Pennsylvanian is a bit more like Pfälzisch (Palatinian). Also mentioned in the Wiki entry about Pennsylvania German.

Just googled some "Plattdeutsch" texts and they even seem harder to understand than Dutch ha ha. If I concentrate a bit and they speak slowly I can understand a bit dutch. Some words seem similar - like a worse/broken version of German. :P (Of course they would probably think the other way round and think we are speaking a broken version of Dutch. :P - I hope no one feels offended now. Most Dutch people I met online seem cool/nice.)
Jun 22, 2016 10:09 AM

Jun 2016
I can speak Frisian and Dutch fluently.

My English is probably on C1 or C2 level, I had it tested a few weeks back, I will not get the results until July, however.

My French is pretty good, but nowhere near the level of my English. For some reason my French average grade is higher than my English one at school, I'm honestly confused as to why.

I can understand German, and I can hold conversations. I wouldn't call myself fluent, since I was pretty bad at during school. My pronunciation is horrid.

I've self taught myself some Japanese, I'm getting better at it. I can understand it better vocally, and construct sentences during an oral conversation than reading and writing at this point tho.

I also know some basic Spanish, and a few basic things in Russian and Italian.
Jun 22, 2016 10:16 AM

May 2016
English- The language that I am most fluent in
Filipino- I lived in the Philippines for a decade by now
Mandarin- My childhood language back from Singapore
French- I studied some of it just to French a close friend
Japanese- I learned a lot of words from anime and as a half-Japanese
Italian- Learned some to once again score the close friend I mentioned earlier

Jun 22, 2016 10:43 AM

Oct 2015
Luthandorius said:
No I don't think I can understand that. The Pennsylvanian is a bit more like Pfälzisch (Palatinian). Also mentioned in the Wiki entry about Pennsylvania German.

Ah, OK.
My aunt used to be tourist guide in Bremen. Once one of the guided ones - iirc. from Michigan - who did not speak any German, was surprised he suddenly could understand inscriptions on some house - they were in Plattdütsch. He was of that Pennsylvanian German ancestry, but did no longer actively speak it..

Kajo_Senpai69 said:
[…]
French- I studied some of it just to French a close friend
[…]Italian- Learned some to once again score the close friend I mentioned earlier

LOL

Now I feel like watching Hal Hartley's Simple Men again. (I really should - it's awesome)
one supporting character : This guy who works at that small gas station & garage in the middle of nowhere (New Jersey) and learns French because he wants to impress that new cashier girl at the supermarket.
Then later learns she is not French, but Italian […]

:D
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jun 22, 2016 11:31 AM

Mar 2016
Romanian, native
English
French
A little German and Russian (very little actually)
Weeb japanese
Jun 22, 2016 12:05 PM
Dec 2014
I use "tiers" rather than "first", "second", "third" etc. is because I am a bit of an oddity as a result of moving around a lot growing up and it affected my linguistic ability.

Tier 1: English/French
I "sound" more native when speaking in French, but I write much better in English. I learned French before English, but I've not used French in a very, very long time so it's kind of a toss up.

Tier 2: Mandarin/Japanese
I've spent some time in Taiwan and currently live in Japan. I picked up Mandarin long before Japanese, and probably have the accent and grammar more locked in. But I put far more effort learning Japanese and also lived much longer in Japan so I'd say that I know more vocab geared towards work and read/write much better too. Come to think of it, while I read better in French but wonder if I might actually write better in Japanese nowadays.

Tier 3: Spanish/Taiwanese
When I asked, I tell people I speak four languages (mentioned above) ignoring those two. I picked Spanish as my "second foreign language" in middle school and also did some Taiwanese when I was in Taiwan, but I forgot most of them due to lack of use, and by now am limited mostly to just listening.

So I am in this weird position where I do not feel like I have truly mastered a language, but I have four that is at a level where I can live and work in a country that uses them.
Jun 23, 2016 1:13 AM

Mar 2014
greek (native), english, french and a little bit of knowledge of spanish.
Jun 23, 2016 1:14 AM

May 2016
• Greek -> Mother language
• English -> Fluency
• French -> Intermediate

That's all the languages i know at the moment but im looking forward to learn more
Jun 23, 2016 1:37 AM

Jan 2016
Tagalog(Filipino)- Native language
English- I'd like to think I'm fluent in it.
Japanese and French are the languages I want to learn.
Jun 23, 2016 1:41 AM

Oct 2015
My native language is Polish. I'm learning English though being honest, I'm good at it as for my age. I've started learning Japanese some time ago, but I'm studying it alone so it tooks me more time than if I'd study it with a teacher. Next year I'll start going to German or Russian lessons (depends on my school). I also know some random words in Danish.
Jun 23, 2016 2:16 AM

May 2015
I speak Mandarin and English and have taken two years (1a and 1b) of French but am most likely taking Japanese next year since I hate it
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Jun 23, 2016 2:36 AM

Mar 2008
I might try to learn Scots some time since it is petty much mutually intelligible with English but I am not sure it's possible to teach myself when it has no written standard.
Jun 23, 2016 2:44 AM

Nov 2013
I speak French (Native), English (Intermediate) and German (Beginner).
Jun 23, 2016 5:51 AM

Mar 2016
Turkish: first language
English: learning since the age of 7
French: B1
Jun 23, 2016 6:17 AM

Dec 2015
I know Dutch (maternal language), English (fluent), French and some basic Japanese. Knew some basic German but forgot all of it already.
Jun 23, 2016 7:57 AM

Jul 2012
Brazilian Portuguese (Native language)
English (It was the first foreign language I learned, mostly because of video games. I understand it pretty well...I don't know if I'm can be considered fluent tho)
Japanese (I studied for two years and a half, unfortunately couldn't continue because of money issues, but I study a little bit by myself now)
Spanish (I can understand it a little because it is kinda Portuguese)

Jun 23, 2016 8:09 AM
Jan 2016
Well, I'm learning Japanese and German right now, as I'm traveling to those countries in about a year or so
English - Mother tongue
Japanese - Almost done learning the alphabet
German - Learning Grammar
Jun 23, 2016 1:53 PM
Feb 2015
Languages in which I can somewhat talk:
✨ Swedish, mother tongue
✨ English, been learning since I was like 7-8 years old so it's been almost 10 years
✨ German, been learning since a few years back, B1 level
✨ Dutch, A2-ish level? Haven't studied it for a couple of months

That I can understand (except for like Norwegian and stuff)
✨ Spanish (basic)
✨ French (basic)
✨ Finnish (basic, studied Finnish for 6 years though since my mum made me but I HATED it so I ignored it completely)
✨ Latin (not much talking or writing in Latin so it's mostly about understanding so y'know, I've only studied it for half a year or so though)

Aaaaand, I'm starting Mandarin this autumn. Maybe Russian next year. That's gonna be fun. Possibly picking up Turkish this summer. ^^;

edit: oh and yeah I hade to make a how to learn Icelandic-guide for my lingustics course in school so I do understand some Icelandic, both since I know another Nordic language but also because of that guide
"𝕣𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝕦𝕤. 𝕣𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕨𝕖 𝕝𝕚𝕧𝕖𝕕."
Jun 23, 2016 1:59 PM
Feb 2015
JackDuluoz said:
I've always been impressed by Scandinavians and their English skills...some of you speak flawlessly.

As for me, English only, just know some basic French.

Well, we're basically forced to learn it from a veeeery young age and we value speaking English highly for some reason? Basically you can't graduate compulsory school without passing English, and you get extra "qualification points" for uni if you're taking the more advanced English courses in high school (or well that's Sweden, but)
"𝕣𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝕦𝕤. 𝕣𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕨𝕖 𝕝𝕚𝕧𝕖𝕕."
Jun 24, 2016 3:33 AM

Dec 2015
I can speak 3 languages:
Georgian (maternal)
Greek
English
My maternal language is the one I know the least, It's really difficult
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 24, 2016 4:27 AM

Apr 2014
Noboru said:

@Tourist: You're welcome, but I've already copied the URLs from the Quote :P

Yeah, maybe it wasn't a fair Comparison if the Hispanic Variants have to suffer from a Deletion of Characteristics that are typically for the Country and/or Region of a Spanish Speaker from the New World. Clear Argentinian like this, doesn't sound as bad as the other Examples you've given:

There might be better Examples, but the Impression I have is that certain Regions in Latin America have their Fire or Spice in their Accents, but they tend to tone it down in Order to be easier understood with the other Spanish Speakers from that Region.

haha
Well, "Para los gustos, estan los colores" we say.
If we compare these two videos, certainly dubbing Spain is better, but it should be noted that the dubbing of Metal Gear Solid is one of the best that Spaniards made while Rurouni Kenshin dubbing made by Colombians (especially those two characters) only would be qualified as "good" by the average of us. I do not remember another video sharing Spanish of New World apart from Rurouni Kenshin, by the way.

If we compare the work done in Spanish Metal Gear, with the work done by Mexicans with Dragonball Z, the things are more balanced.

Return with Rurouni Kenshn, who make the voice of Himura is not the best, however harmonizes with the serenity of the character. Furthermore, the doubler Makoto Shishio (Colombian) has an excellent level.

Here is a better comparison between Spanish, Argentine and Colombian

Spain

Argentina

Colombia

I am aware that Spanish language is passionate, particularly several of the New World, although I have not noticed that we lower the tone deliberately. The only thing that usually we do to understand us is to avoid using words that are used only in our nations and to in turn they are not known in the rest of the region. The differences in accents do not avoid that we understand between us perfectly.(something that does not happen when used words and forms that are not used by every one). In the overdubs is another story, because when we hear an accent that is not ours, we gain consciousness accent making it difficult to separate the character of the nationality of the bender. So Solid Snake was not perceived as an Anglo-American but as a Spanish.

It was not easy for me getting used to see MSG 1 in English.

The Spanish of Spain is seen as rough and little courteous in the New World, although for many is very attractive (that includes me) especially when it is spoken by Spaniard women.
Spaniards perceive several of our accents as very sweet for their taste, but in general terms usually they admit (especially their linguists) that various of our accents overcome them because we have greater appreciation for the language (Colombia and Argentina in special).

Spain is a historically warrior nation, therefore no wonder that Spaniards have a way of being and speaking very front that is complemented with their different accents.
Hispanic New World nations, despite many difficulties go through as a result of political disunity (fall of the Spanish Empire) and foreign interventions, we have not undergone continuous wars (with all what implies) like Europe, so people here usually much more cheerful, courteous and open to friendship than Spaniard and this one may be reflected in the sweetness of accents and spontaneity of gestures.

Ecuador

Colombia and Costa Rica

Also Germany is a historically warrior nation and its heritage can be seen in its frontal character and a determined coarseness in its accent (without exaggerating).
I've never heard of a war between Spain and Germany (this includes the times of the Kings), by contrast, has been a historical constant that they fight on the same side. That is a sign that despite being so differents nations, there is something special to share and I suspect that's the psychology inherited by their warrior cultures. No wonder then that you or average German can feel greater satisfaction with the accent of Spain than accents of the New World, because the Spaniard accent harmonizes better with German psychology.

Noboru said:
British Indian might not be the first Language for most, however it acts as an important, administrative Language and is the second Language for many.

Understand.
I guess the Indian economy heavily dependent of Anglo market so the English is an official language in that nation.
Although the word Standard still sounds me like rare in this context, perhaps because I perceive it as something linked to culture. However it is quite possible that India has been influenced by Britain in a similar way to the influence that Egypt received from Rome, that is, not a culture borned of the cultural nature from other one (New World with regard to Spain or Hispania with regard to Rome) but as an ancient colossus that receives influence of a new colossus.

Noboru said:
Appreciation for your own Language is the best Way to keep it from being eliminated in your Family. German can also preserve the good Parts of the Language you're speaking, especially with Russian and French. In the first Video, Putin starts with Russian, makes a brief Statement in German saying that he begins his Speech in Russian and then switches back to Russian, before using German from this Point on.
In the second Video, the Moderator speaks German in the Standard Accent of the Federal Republic of Germany, while the Guest speaks the same Accent with his French Colorization.

No wonder many Russians or French know German language because both nations have had frequent contact with the Germans.
On the other hand, German immigration produces people of German descent so this one increases the influence of German language. Schools that teach German in the Hispanics nations only were single currency when it was common to see Hispanics of German descent (especially in Argentina and Chile).

Here a beatiful Argentina woman of German descent

Noboru said:
Different regional Dialects like Eastern German, Badian or Bavarian within the same Country can already make a completely different Picture from how a Language sounds. Heck, there's even Low German that can be considered as an own Language, due to how different it sounds.

Here are some other Accents/Dialects as well:

Transsilvanian Saxon

To be honest, I felt confused.
I thought the woman was Austrian but reading the comments I realized that she was German. She sounds very different from the Germans that I know.
What is her region? Bavaria?

I am aware that both are the same in essence, but they look like two different and similar languageat the same time.
Transylvania Saxon remember me to Italian accent and Swiss German remember me to French accent.

However, this could be the best German because to its poetic quality :v
[Spoiler][Yt]5kmEM2u1dZA[/ yt] [/ spoiler]
_Nemrod_Apr 28, 2017 12:30 AM

Jun 24, 2016 4:56 AM

Dec 2015
Portuguese(Mother Language)
English(Duh)
French(Halfway there)
Spanish(Communication is possible)
Japanese(Starting to learn)

Kotoneko-chan said:
Spanish- Native language
Galician- Native language
Portuguese- I can understand most of it because of its similarity with the Galician language.
English- I can understand it pretty well, but I'm not really fluent.

Can I do the opposite and understand Galician then? Never tried it.
"Move as swiftly as the wind"
"Stay as silent as the forest"
"Strike as fierce as the fire"
"Undefeated like the mountain"
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 48 seconds ago

0 by Kamikaze_404 »»
48 seconds ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

307 by AverageRiceFan »»
16 minutes ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Yesterday

8 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - 7 hours ago

7 by Kamikaze_404 »»
1 hour ago

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

12 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.