Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2016 10:02 PM

Nov 2010
How come there is no thread for people to advertise their MAL clubs in or do we have to substitute one of the other threads instead?

Also will we soon be able to edit our clubs in CSS or are we stuck with bb code?

Jun 19, 2016 10:32 PM

Oct 2014
Why would you want to advertise a club? Just add it on your signature or something and keep shitposting like this in the forums, it'll be popular in no time \o/
---
css in clb layout format? I don't see the purpose of it BBCode is more than enough.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jun 19, 2016 11:19 PM

Nov 2010
I'd think CSS mode would enable for more customization though.

Jun 20, 2016 2:46 AM

Jun 2015
Seriously, bbcode is more than enough. Theres no need to css in club layout. There are some cub layouts that look very good, without css.

About advertising, just put a club banner in your sig and post on the forums as much as possible. Or invite people if you want more members.

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Jun 22, 2016 4:41 AM

Dec 2015
I don't care about CSS. If you really want that much option - then just make your completely own website. BBCode is enough.

But for the thread:
That would be nice. The only option at the moment to find new clubs is to use the search. But then you already need a specific idea what to look for. And it also finds a lot of "dead" clubs where activity is low. (Sorting it by last activity or members might help a bit.)

Other options are: Looking in the signatures or in others profile.

But why do we even have a "Introduction" forum for members then? You can just have all the info you post there in your profile.

For consistency reasons I'd suggest to either remove the Introductions forum - or to add another forum (group it a bit like the DB forums where there are 3 of them) for "club introductions" where people can make a thread for their clubs. (For each club an own thread.) Some bumping rules included to not get too much spam. (A bit bumping could be okay every now and then.)
Jun 22, 2016 5:01 AM

Oct 2012
As if your profile, signature, and other clubs aren't enough to get word of your club out.

Having a thread would just get your advertisement lost in the clutter, anyways.
Jun 22, 2016 8:33 PM

Nov 2010
Luthandorius said:
I don't care about CSS. If you really want that much option - then just make your completely own website. BBCode is enough.

But for the thread:
That would be nice. The only option at the moment to find new clubs is to use the search. But then you already need a specific idea what to look for. And it also finds a lot of "dead" clubs where activity is low. (Sorting it by last activity or members might help a bit.)

Other options are: Looking in the signatures or in others profile.

But why do we even have a "Introduction" forum for members then? You can just have all the info you post there in your profile.

For consistency reasons I'd suggest to either remove the Introductions forum - or to add another forum (group it a bit like the DB forums where there are 3 of them) for "club introductions" where people can make a thread for their clubs. (For each club an own thread.) Some bumping rules included to not get too much spam. (A bit bumping could be okay every now and then.)

The only reason why i'm worried about the css aspect is because this wysiwyg editor feels like it's from 1982 and it's constantly getting hacked, i've lost count on the amount of times this bb code editor has gotten hacked, i can just see myself styling a very complex introduction only for the editor to glitch and all my work to be lost resulting in me having to make constant backups.

If this was an advanced wysiwyg editor i wouldn't even be complaining about it cause it would have all the features to run an effective club as most wysiwyg editors these days have built in cms.

And yes this forum does feel a little bit limited, it is not fair for there to be an introductions forum yet no club forum.
There is not even a "general" forum and "off topic" forum as a catch all for these type of situations.

Martin said:
As if your profile, signature, and other clubs aren't enough to get word of your club out.

Having a thread would just get your advertisement lost in the clutter, anyways.

The problem with this is there seems to be an unwritten rule about advertising in other clubs, you can just feel the club manager frown as you "shoehorn" your advertisement into their club, an unknown level of bribery (over the top for me just talking about it) for you to feel as if you can post in any club as you like.

Jun 22, 2016 8:39 PM

Jun 2014
Eh. I think people here tend to advertise their club and the features of them already on an obnoxious level. From unwanted newsletters to people competing against other clubs and gaining an ego when their club hits some success.
Jun 22, 2016 8:49 PM

Nov 2010
Kagami said:
Eh. I think people here tend to advertise their club and the features of them already on an obnoxious level. From unwanted newsletters to people competing against other clubs and gaining an ego when their club hits some success.

Unwanted newsletters? You talking about the MAL mail system?

Jun 22, 2016 8:52 PM

Jun 2014
Meomix said:
Kagami said:

No. I made a thread about it recently, but some admins will still send you newsletters onto your profile even if you haven't subscribed to them. I doubt its a mistake, rather shameless advertising.
Jun 22, 2016 9:16 PM

Oct 2012
Kagami said:
Meomix said:

No. I made a thread about it recently, but some admins will still send you newsletters onto your profile even if you haven't subscribed to them. I doubt its a mistake, rather shameless advertising.
Yep, now you know exactly why I am in zero clubs now.
Meomix said:
The problem with this is there seems to be an unwritten rule about advertising in other clubs, you can just feel the club manager frown as you "shoehorn" your advertisement into their club, an unknown level of bribery (over the top for me just talking about it) for you to feel as if you can post in any club as you like.
Affiliations exist, even though barely anyone pays attention to that.
As well as the aforementioned "spam everyone's profile comments with newsletters and advertisements", I feel that there is enough as is.
Jun 22, 2016 9:18 PM

Jun 2014
Martin said:
Kagami said:

I'm in over 200.. I join them because I try to be nice with invites. At first I was fine with this shameless advertising, but its growing annoying.
Jun 22, 2016 9:19 PM

Oct 2012
Kagami said:
Martin said:

I'm in over 200.. I join them because I try to be nice with invites. At first I was fine with this shameless advertising, but its growing annoying.
Oh, I blocked all club invites. :x
Jun 22, 2016 9:22 PM

Jun 2014
Martin said:
Kagami said:

Oh, I blocked all club invites. :x

Not a bad idea.

I like clubs because they're a good social gathering, but some admins tend to go crazy with ads and shit and do stuff like this.
Jun 22, 2016 10:06 PM

Nov 2010
Martin said:
Kagami said:

Meomix said:
As well as the aforementioned "spam everyone's profile comments with newsletters and advertisements", I feel that there is enough as is.

This may be a stupid question but affiliations as in "you advertize me and i advertize you" kind of thing?

Jun 22, 2016 10:26 PM

Jun 2014
Meomix said:
Martin said:

This may be a stupid question but affiliations as in "you advertize me and i advertize you" kind of thing?

They post each other's banners with link in club layout.
Jun 22, 2016 10:35 PM

Nov 2010
Yeah i can do that with cute little buttons.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Yesterday

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.