Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 18, 2016 10:34 PM

Jan 2009
After weeks of debate, Canadian lawmakers have passed legislation to legalize physician-assisted death.

That makes Canada "one of the few nations where doctors can legally help sick people die," as Reuters reports.

The new law "limits the option to the incurably ill, requires medical approval and mandates a 15-day waiting period," as The Two-Way has reported.

The Canadian government introduced the bill in April and it passed a final Senate vote Friday. It includes strict criteria that patients must meet to obtain a doctor's help in dying. As we have reported, a patient must:

"Be eligible for government-funded health care (a requirement limiting assisted suicides to Canadians and permanent residents, to prevent suicide tourism)."
"Be a mentally competent adult 18 or older."
"Have a serious and incurable disease, illness or disability."
"Be in an 'advanced state of irreversible decline,' with enduring and intolerable suffering."

As a safeguard, the law also requires that two independent witnesses be present when the patient signs a request for a doctor-assisted death.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/18/482599089/canada-legalizes-physician-assisted-dying

euthanasia! this is great for patients that cannot take the suffering anymore

anyone disagree with euthanasia? if so why?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 18, 2016 10:57 PM
Jul 2018
I think it's great and it would be nice if others would follow suit.
Jun 19, 2016 12:45 AM

Mar 2015
Ketamine said:
I think it's great and it would be nice if others would follow suit.
pls don't in currpt country... you know it would be abused by criminal..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 19, 2016 1:11 AM

Jan 2014
I wonder if @TheBrainintheJar thinks this doesn't go far enough.

OT: They're going about it the right way, no depressed people, no suicide tourism. Euthanasia only for those who need it.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Jun 19, 2016 1:12 AM

Sep 2014
I agree with euthanasia in that context. People that are unable to end their own lives, are slowly but surely dying anyway, or are going to be forced to live in a deteriorated state of life for the rest of their living days should have the option of euthanasia.

I honestly think it's a lot more cruel not giving these people the option in the first place. Animals often get euthanized without a second thought when they're suffering physically and/or dying after all.
Jun 19, 2016 1:15 AM

Jan 2009
mentally ill people will not be eligible on this from the looks of it so those suffering from Alzheimers disease will continue to suffer more although that disease is not causing them physical pain though so i guess its fine
Jun 19, 2016 1:24 AM

Jun 2014
I don't think two witnesses are enough. I would up it to four to completely prevent corruption.
Jun 19, 2016 2:01 AM

Jan 2011
There's this thing called palliative care where people can die with dignity instead of being put down like dogs.
Jun 19, 2016 2:09 AM

Apr 2012
JonyJC said:
There's this thing called palliative care where people can die with dignity instead of being put down like dogs.

who cares it should be an option anyways if you are terminally ill

the last thing terminally patients will be thinking about is how dignified their death is going to be lmao

Jun 19, 2016 3:48 AM

Oct 2015
About fucking time.

Though I would believe that many with terminal illness may not be 'mentally competent' as a result, so that's rather stupid.
If you're reading this, then you be should banana the one often to effectively die apples through convergence, autism plus unicorns.
Jun 19, 2016 5:58 AM

Jun 2015
Giving very sick patients the coup de grace is a very humane thing. Good to know that now people who are doomed to die painfully can do so peacefully.
Jun 19, 2016 11:11 AM

Jan 2014
j0x said:
mentally ill people will not be eligible on this from the looks of it so those suffering from Alzheimers disease will continue to suffer more although that disease is not causing them physical pain though so i guess its fine

http://www.dyingwithdignity.ca/carter_v_canada_and_the_road_to_choice
Does a person with dementia (for example, Alzheimer’s disease) qualify for physician-assisted death?

Someone who has dementia but is still competent to provide informed consent may qualify, provided their suffering is intolerable to them at the time of the request.

The court is silent on whether someone should be allowed to consent to physician-assisted death through an advance care plan. This may be addressed through legislation.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Jun 19, 2016 1:31 PM

Jan 2009
ThrashMatto said:
j0x said:

http://www.dyingwithdignity.ca/carter_v_canada_and_the_road_to_choice
Does a person with dementia (for example, Alzheimer’s disease) qualify for physician-assisted death?

Someone who has dementia but is still competent to provide informed consent may qualify, provided their suffering is intolerable to them at the time of the request.

The court is silent on whether someone should be allowed to consent to physician-assisted death through an advance care plan. This may be addressed through legislation.

thats good to hear then
Jun 19, 2016 5:35 PM

Aug 2007
Get rid of the 15 day waiting period and then it would be perfect.
Jun 20, 2016 12:23 AM

Aug 2010
I was actually worried about how they were going to go about this, but this is not bad at all
Jun 20, 2016 1:36 AM

Mar 2014
Good

I hope other countries will follow their example
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 20, 2016 4:32 AM

Aug 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Good

I hope other countries will follow their example

well my country ranks 8th in Suicides per 100,000 People let's hope so
Jun 20, 2016 5:14 AM

Jul 2014
ThrashMatto said:

OT: They're going about it the right way, no depressed people, no suicide tourism. Euthanasia only for those who need it.
Except mentally ill people are the only ones who need it...
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Jun 20, 2016 9:02 AM

May 2015
ThrashMatto said:

A bunch of people who aren't you don't decide for you what you need.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 20, 2016 9:04 AM

Jun 2016
Whatever happened to the good old days where you just used a shotgun or fell on your sword?
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Jun 20, 2016 10:42 AM

Apr 2011
Yeah, more like assisted murder. Let's see how many people are gonna kill innocent people who want to live with this new law.
Jun 20, 2016 10:44 AM

Aug 2007
Valaskjalf said:
Yeah, more like assisted murder. Let's see how many people are gonna kill innocent people who want to live with this new law.

Nah they're just going to use the law to get abortions instead.
Jun 20, 2016 11:49 AM
Sep 2015
That's great! I remember I had a debate a few years ago in the biology class on this theme (she had us watch "You Don't Know Jack") and everyone was sure this would never be implemented, I'm glad to see it finally happening.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.