Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 18, 2016 8:02 PM
Apr 2015
Two of my friends love this anime. I saw the first episodes and I was bored out of my mind. One of them told me that it gets funnier later on and that it is better in Dub version since the accents might make it better.
I want to give it a try. I've seen some animes that people have said horrors about it and I love it. So I don't want to discard it just because the first episodes were bad for me.
Should I re-try it? Or forget it?
Jun 18, 2016 8:04 PM

May 2016
Hetalia's premise is one that can be amusing...for about 5 minutes. The fact that they've turned it into a gigantic franchise just makes me physically ill.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 18, 2016 8:06 PM

May 2012
Nah for me. Tried a few episodes a few years ago but couldn't get into it.

Maybe I should try it again

Jun 18, 2016 8:08 PM
Apr 2015
Thank god I'm not the only one. Thank you both
Jun 18, 2016 8:10 PM

Jan 2015
Definitely watch it dubbed. It's much funnier dubbed. If you still don't like it, then just drop it and move on.
Jun 18, 2016 8:11 PM

Sep 2015
You should watch it and make your own opinions instead of being a stupid, mindless sheep listening to the rambles of two randies on the internet.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Jun 18, 2016 8:17 PM

May 2016
-Senpai- said:
You should watch it and make your own opinions instead of being a stupid, mindless sheep listening to the rambles of two randies on the internet.

It's okay. I am the Arbiter of Truth, so it's just and wise to listen to me. ;3

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 18, 2016 9:57 PM

Jun 2015
It's good imo. Also tons better in dub.

It is full of historical references and freeze frames so it is not for everyone.

To get most of it, you have to have a certain level of knowledge on world history, politics, country biases, etc...
Jun 18, 2016 10:08 PM

Oct 2014
I haven't seen it, but it's made by Studio Deen and even has the term "pretty boy" in the synopsis. Keep these in mind when watching it. Not that I've seen either of them, but a combination of LoGH and Free! seems pretty accurate to describe what it seems like. It's not for everyone so you don't have to force yourself to watch it.

For the most part, if you didn't like it at first you usually won't like it later. Digibro has a few videos explaining this along with how he got to this realization. No matter how good other people say something is, if you dropped it because you couldn't stand it then even if you only saw the first episode chances are you won't enjoy the anime. See if you can find any common ground with your friends as recommending stuff that goes against the others' tastes doesn't accomplish anything.
Jun 18, 2016 11:39 PM

Apr 2010
Depends on your taste on stupid comedy and not minding stereotypes (as you surely saw yourself) . In the end if the day, I watched both seasons.

Jun 19, 2016 12:08 AM
Jul 2018
Hetalia's a great show, but keep in mind that every character is a bundle of stereotypes on legs. The dub is much funnier than the sub, and the animation changes a LOT (for the better imo) in Hetalia: Beautiful World. I think you should give it another try, but don't force yourself to watch it if you don't like it.
Jun 19, 2016 12:17 AM

Jun 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
I haven't seen it, but it's made by Studio Deen and even has the term "pretty boy" in the synopsis. Keep these in mind when watching it. Not that I've seen either of them, but a combination of LoGH and Free! seems pretty accurate to describe what it seems like. It's not for everyone so you don't have to force yourself to watch it.

Outside of fandom and the last 2 seasons, Het isn't much of a bishounen anime. I can count on 1 hand how many times the show did anything fanservicey, (maybe 2 if you count stuff that could be easily taken in as fujoshi bait) as the default costume of the chars are uniforms.

The pretty boy tag it got is mostly done by shippers pairing x country with x as the anime has a predominantly male cast.
Jun 19, 2016 3:18 AM

Feb 2013
think about it...if you see hetalia, thats like 8 anime for your list
Jun 19, 2016 3:56 AM
Dec 2014
I enjoy Hetalia overall (obviously - that's Japan in my avatar^^) - there are some "nah" things about it, but mostly it's a "yay!" for me. It's definitely worth looking into if you're interested in history and politics. Keep in mind that it's not 100% accurate about everything, though (i.e., it's not a very good substitute for rl history lessons). I do agree that it's not for everyone, but at the same time I feel that it's really nowhere near as offensive as people like to make it out to be. (Yes, all the nations are walking stereotypes - that's the POINT. It's intentional.)

However, I would NOT recommend the dub, as it takes too many liberties with the source material. I've only seen a few dub episodes, but they were enough to put me off that version for good. Changing a few lines here and there to make dialogue flow better is one thing, but this dub takes these changes too far, and adds frankly unnecessary things. (Holocaust jokes, for one thing...) I'm also not a fan of the accents, at all. The original version is funny as it is, imo, and pretty inoffensive compared to the dub, so that's definitely what I'd recommend instead.

Oh, and check out the comic - it updates twice a week and there's a TON of strips!
Jun 19, 2016 5:44 AM

Jul 2013
The hystorical refrences are hillarious and the series is overall funny, it can get boring at time, but it's decent.

The fandom, on the other hand...
Jun 19, 2016 6:00 AM

May 2014
The dialogue is edgier and funnier dubbed eg holocaust jokes.

It's not something I could marathon, but I did enjoy watching it every now and again.

I often try a series again later and find my opinion has changed.

also, this:
Jun 19, 2016 6:07 AM

Feb 2013
I liked it, because I like history and got most of the jokes, but it's not for everyone. Also, the dub and the sub are practically different series. Personally I prefer the sub, because it explains the more obscure historical jokes, while the dub makes a joke about explaining it and doesn't do so as well, also the sub fits me sense of humor more, but that's pretty subjective.
KezmiJun 19, 2016 6:10 AM
Jun 19, 2016 6:16 AM
May 2015
Well I tried to watch it 4 years ago when I didn't know anything about anime and I hated it. Then I watched it again after watching a ton of anime and I loved it. I've watched every season and the movie and it's one of my favorite anime, but I don't think it's really for everyone.

I think you will enjoy it if you like strange comedy. I haven't watched the dub but I've heard it's great but for me I'll go with sub.
Jun 19, 2016 6:20 AM
Apr 2016
To me, and I said this in my review of Axis Powers, it's so bad it's good. I laughed a lot at the stupid humor and stereotypes in the first two seasons, but after World Series it's not even worth watching. I've seen half of The Beautiful World and I don't think I've laughed once. Oh, not to mention personified countries is a great concept.
cherryblossom519Jun 19, 2016 6:23 AM
Jun 19, 2016 8:41 AM

Mar 2014
It's not for everyone, but I used to be super obsessed with it when it came out a while ago. It's the only reason why I knew the difference between the Axis and Allied powers during 8th grade.
Jun 20, 2016 6:34 AM
Dec 2015
Actually at first I dropped because I don't know what's happening and I don't find it funny and I saw many yaoi at internet I hate yaoi actually but I remembered hetalia again I started it was Saturday and now every episode I always got killed cuz I found it funny I mean super funny LOL and not just funny but T_T dramatic mostly the chibitalia sub story it made me cry cuz HRE died from war just bit of spoiler LOL actually hetalia is not yaoi its just a gay jokes hetalia is destiny for me LOL i started from sat and then Monday comes our new lesson it was WW1 AND WW2 and then I fangirled LOL in class thanks for hetalia that I passed In surprise quiz with 5 mistakes
Aug 7, 2016 2:14 PM

Aug 2014
Nah, it is so silly.

It feels offensive at some points, plus its so boring.

Personally I hated it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Axis Powers Hetalia Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

sniW - Jan 25, 2009

163 by _Einzbern_ »»
Feb 4, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Hetalia Axis Powers Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gucia - Dec 13, 2009

55 by remmii »»
Sep 4, 2023 3:35 AM

Poll: » Hetalia Axis Powers Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Haruka-SD - Jun 15, 2009

64 by remmii »»
Aug 26, 2023 3:43 AM

Poll: » Hetalia Axis Powers Episode 48 Discussion

tsubasalover - Dec 20, 2009

40 by Squidamii »»
Jul 29, 2023 7:38 PM

Poll: » Hetalia Axis Powers Episode 52 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Mar 7, 2010

53 by 1Konochi »»
May 30, 2023 1:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.