Forum Settings
Forums

Thousands of dogs to be slaughtered in Chinese festival.

New
Jun 16, 2016 9:13 AM

Jan 2012
Dogs are known for being faithful companions and helpers to those in need, but in some parts of the world they are regarded as nothing more than livestock.

According to Shanghaiist, a recent petition asking that nation's government outlaw the annual happening gathered 11 million signatures prior to being submitted to authorities.

Despite the success of the campaign, some believe the government will not halt what has proven to be a lucrative trade, notes TIME.

This year's festival is expected to begin on June 21.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/06/15/thousands-of-dogs-to-be-slaughtered-in-chinese-festival/21395989/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
that's bad , i believe dogs in china need some freedom

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 16, 2016 9:16 AM

Jun 2015
#DogLivesMatter.

This is stupid. Chinese people eat dogs, fine. At the end of the day they are livestock. All animals are.
As long as the dogs are healthy and they are raised in a reasonable manner, no one should oppose this just because it is the dog being eaten, not the chicken or the cow.
InsaniusJun 16, 2016 9:19 AM
Jun 16, 2016 9:17 AM

Nov 2008
I wouldn't have an issue with this except that the dogs that are killed for this festival are often dognapped and not strays or farm raised dogs.

Jun 16, 2016 9:42 AM

Jan 2011
If there's a reason to go to war with China this is it, puppies.
Jun 16, 2016 9:56 AM

Oct 2013
Better to be killed than to live around stupid humans
Jun 16, 2016 10:07 AM

Jan 2012
JonyJC said:
If there's a reason to go to war with China this is it, puppies.

well said I see only barbarism, like some said , people need to stop buying Chinese products until they stop doing this.

Jun 16, 2016 10:16 AM

Feb 2016
If you're not a vegetarian or vegan you're a hypocrite.
Jun 16, 2016 10:24 AM

Sep 2015
i saw a few videos where chinese people butcher those dogs. well i wouldn't even call it butcher more like torture them to death.

look at those people. human filth. not worth the air they breathe

Jun 16, 2016 11:01 AM
Jul 2018
Nigami_Shin said:
i saw a few videos where chinese people butcher those dogs. well i wouldn't even call it butcher more like torture them to death.

Yeah
The fact that some people treat it like a sport is pretty sickening, maybe I'm just looking at it through western tinted glasses, but I can never see dogs as being anything but companions, so to me it's sickening
Also, as aforementioned these dogs aren't always raised for food, many are taken from the streets or from owners who lost them
Jun 16, 2016 12:02 PM
Feb 2016
That's pretty despicable.

Jun 16, 2016 12:41 PM
Sep 2015
The population of stray dogs in my city is half the number of residents (for every two individuals there is a stray dog on the city), they even attacked and killed a kid in a playground, so I've got no sympathy for them. I would gladly mail the Chinese my address to come pick up all the dogs and grill them.
And before someone starts screaming, the neighbourhood is pretty new and it used to be the shelter for all stray dogs in the city. When European Union demanded the government to up their shelters standards, they said "lol" and close most dog shelters and because it's so complicated to eradicate dogs "humanly", the EU likes it, they just let all of them run loose on the streets. A+ leadership!
TiaDeeJun 16, 2016 12:48 PM
Jun 16, 2016 1:00 PM

Feb 2016
dizzyur said:
Nigami_Shin said:

Yeah
The fact that some people treat it like a sport is pretty sickening, maybe I'm just looking at it through western tinted glasses, but I can never see dogs as being anything but companions, so to me it's sickening
Also, as aforementioned these dogs aren't always raised for food, many are taken from the streets or from owners who lost them

Pigs are as smart as dogs. The west is just conditioned to see them only as livestock.

So, its basically the same here with the Chinese.
SaturdayKrushJun 16, 2016 1:04 PM
Jun 16, 2016 1:03 PM

Feb 2015
Yeah, this happens every year, yet nothing is done. Save the dogs. :(
Jun 16, 2016 1:05 PM

May 2010
China has a huge population, like more than it should regularly be able to handle. Through communism they've enforced laws that have taken their massive population under control, and enabled them to merely continue living.

They eat animals we don't even think about eating, because they are hungry. If you have an animal as a pet then you must be rich.

They don't live in a free country where compassion is so highly valued, and so some of their actions seem barbaric to us, and maybe they are, but they've become that way as a necessity.

That doesn't mean I agree with it. I'd rather China adopted Capitalism and became a free country, with all the compassion in the world to spare, but that's not the way the world works, and I can't fault your average Chinese citizen for it.
Jun 16, 2016 1:24 PM

Oct 2014
They're not quite as intelligent as pigs so they will suffer a bit less than pigs will in any situation, but they still are fairly intelligent so they shouldn't be treated too poorly. If they were free range dogs and were killed humanely it would be fine, but it sounds like that isn't the case.
Jun 16, 2016 1:33 PM

Jan 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
They're not quite as intelligent as pigs so they will suffer a bit less than pigs will in any situation, but they still are fairly intelligent so they shouldn't be treated too poorly. If they were free range dogs and were killed humanely it would be fine, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

Are you talking about the chinese?
Jun 16, 2016 1:36 PM

Oct 2014
JonyJC said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Are you talking about the chinese?
I was actually talking about the dogs, but it's kinda funny that it could be taken that way.
Jun 16, 2016 3:26 PM

May 2009
a lot of animals are regarded that way and some are even tested on. doesn't people mostly joke about how Chinese eat cats and dogs anyways?

I don't know. I like animals and all but I feel this is a double standard even on this site. It's not okay for them to kill domesticated animals but most have no problem killing other animals?
Jun 16, 2016 4:04 PM

Oct 2015
That's disgusting they should stop that, also I'm vegetarian.
Jun 16, 2016 5:41 PM
Jul 2015
I can't fault them for eating different animals than I do. I love dogs, however, so this does make me a little sad.
Jun 16, 2016 5:54 PM

Oct 2015
the issue here is that the dogs are being killed for entertainment.

If the dogs were "humanely" killed in a quick, painless way, and without any spectators cheering it on, I don't think it would be too bad.

Yes by our cultural compass dogs are not considered to be appropiate animals to be killed for meat, but honestly, that distinction is arbitrary. A lot of Indians probably find it disgusting that we kill and eat cows, since cows are considered sacred animals in India/Hinduism, it doesn't stop us from doing it.
Jun 16, 2016 6:15 PM

Jan 2013

Please, please, please, pick up a text book from at least 2008.

China has had no food problems for years and is in fact a major food EXPORTER to of all places the Bloody United States of ignorance, who currently depends on imports for a hefty chunk of its food supply given the collapse of its domestic agricultural industry. Next down the road is the whole Capitalist arrgument. A hefty chunk, the majority in fact of the Chinese economy is capitalist. And the One Child Policy is now two children with the policy as a whole being dismissed across areas of China. Even now Food exports are flowing from China. While there may be poverty issues in rural China at the very least there is no food strikes. This isn't 1980.

As to the topic at hand its culture, nothing more nothing less. Westerners see "Man's best friend" The middle East in parts and Asia see a filthy mongrol thats not to be trusted. Both are correct.

Its like Americans and its love affair with horses, in most of the world they were beasts that ended up on the plate when there weren't enough cows or pigs to go around. Though I am sure a bit of sadism plays into this.

To put it into persepctive, I myself have seen dogs as useful when trained for sentry duty, and annoyances to be shot when they aren't.
Jun 16, 2016 6:22 PM

Dec 2012
One of the main reasons I don't really have much respect for their country aside from their tourists that are jackasses tbh.
Jun 16, 2016 7:11 PM

Mar 2008
TiaDee said:
The population of stray dogs in my city is half the number of residents (for every two individuals there is a stray dog on the city), they even attacked and killed a kid in a playground, so I've got no sympathy for them. I would gladly mail the Chinese my address to come pick up all the dogs and grill them.
And before someone starts screaming, the neighbourhood is pretty new and it used to be the shelter for all stray dogs in the city. When European Union demanded the government to up their shelters standards, they said "lol" and close most dog shelters and because it's so complicated to eradicate dogs "humanly", the EU likes it, they just let all of them run loose on the streets. A+ leadership!

Why stop short? Might as well kill all the homeless people too.
Jun 16, 2016 8:16 PM

May 2010
RedArmyShogun said:

Please, please, please, pick up a text book from at least 2008.

China has had no food problems for years and is in fact a major food EXPORTER to of all places the Bloody United States of ignorance, who currently depends on imports for a hefty chunk of its food supply given the collapse of its domestic agricultural industry. Next down the road is the whole Capitalist arrgument. A hefty chunk, the majority in fact of the Chinese economy is capitalist. And the One Child Policy is now two children with the policy as a whole being dismissed across areas of China. Even now Food exports are flowing from China. While there may be poverty issues in rural China at the very least there is no food strikes. This isn't 1980.

As to the topic at hand its culture, nothing more nothing less. Westerners see "Man's best friend" The middle East in parts and Asia see a filthy mongrol thats not to be trusted. Both are correct.

Its like Americans and its love affair with horses, in most of the world they were beasts that ended up on the plate when there weren't enough cows or pigs to go around. Though I am sure a bit of sadism plays into this.

To put it into persepctive, I myself have seen dogs as useful when trained for sentry duty, and annoyances to be shot when they aren't.

When you do something and it solves your countries problems, you don't just then say "Oh well it's all fixed let's revert everything we were previously doing".

Yes their situation is improving and has been improving over time, that doesn't exactly mean they should just stop what they're doing and follow the rest of the world.

And china has free trade zones, that doesn't make their government a capitalist one. They're still a communist government.
Jun 16, 2016 9:32 PM
Sep 2015
@traed
Why kill all the homeless people? They never attacked and killed an innocent kid on the playground. Not to mention that most homeless around here pick up the trash and get it to a recycle center in exchange for a small sum of money. I would like to see you live in a city where there's a dog at their doostep whenever you open the door in the morning, where there are dogs under your seat while you're waiting for the bus and dogs dogs fighting each other behing the fast food stalls. Would you let your kid live in a such a city?
Jun 16, 2016 10:38 PM

Feb 2016
look at these people against it. are they hypocrite?

they wont mind if pig or cow being slaughtered. but why they worried about slaughtering dogs?
Jun 16, 2016 10:58 PM

Aug 2013
Nurlela said:

they wont mind if pig or cow being slaughtered. but why they worried about slaughtering dogs?
Dogs are usually kept as pets while cows and pigs are usually not and are livestock.
Jun 16, 2016 11:24 PM

Sep 2015
Nurlela said:

because we kill our livestock with painless methodes?!

Jun 16, 2016 11:47 PM

Feb 2016
Nigami_Shin said:
Nurlela said:

emmm, is that how the yulin festival works? it looks like torture rather than meat festival.

if so, i can understand why ppl against it
Jun 16, 2016 11:54 PM

Mar 2016
What did you expect from these yellow monkeys?
Jun 17, 2016 12:10 AM

Jun 2008
>China thread

I'm sure this is gonna be something positive...
Jun 17, 2016 2:43 AM

Mar 2014
Disgusting

If the Chinese actually had treated their dogs well then it wouldn't have bothered me as much but torture? That's going way too far
Comic_SansJun 17, 2016 6:30 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 17, 2016 2:52 AM

May 2009
What the fuck. This is disgusting.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 17, 2016 3:00 AM

Mar 2016
Wallflower said:
I don't agree with eating dogs. However I eat pig, having first hand experienced the smart and friendly nature of them I still enjoy their bacon. So in the end I feel like I can't tell them to stop eating dog, but maybe do it in a less violent and more sensible fashion.

You are in totally missunderstanding. There is a big difference between pet and
livestock. The human always looked the pig like food, but the dog was his best friend. You don't eat your friend, expect you are from afrika.
Jun 17, 2016 3:04 AM

Jan 2015
lol, i don't think have problem if it something cultural, in yulin. only the method i question about

la critique de l'intention pure
Jun 17, 2016 3:12 AM

Apr 2014
I assume this happens mainly in the lower class of China. I suppose they all eat dogs though. They have a high average IQ, but they don't seem to be the most humane people out there. Low empathy, maybe? Certainly they don't seem to be afflicted with the pathological altruism we have in the West.
Jun 17, 2016 3:27 AM

Aug 2015
its just an animal... ffs
Jun 17, 2016 7:42 AM

Jan 2012
MeinKaiser said:

dude it's thousands of dogs not one
btw People are animals, too (never heard of evolution)

Jun 17, 2016 8:11 AM

Mar 2012
Nigami_Shin said:
Nurlela said:

"Painless"

AllenVonStein said:
MeinKaiser said:

dude it's thousands of dogs not one
btw People are animals, too (never heard of evolution)

What about the billions of animals maltreated and slaughtered in factory farms? Why is what we're doing to them not considered "barbaric" or "disgusting"?
Jun 17, 2016 8:30 AM

Sep 2015
@Aurali

in germany we have strict laws how livestock should be killed. same goes for other european countries. also your video is one of those typical propaganda films from Peta or Vegans which shows extrem cases. my video on the other hand is normal for china

Jun 17, 2016 8:44 AM

Feb 2016
Aren't there any PETA branches in China?? Or are they too censored by the govt.?? :P
Jun 17, 2016 9:06 AM

Mar 2012
Nigami_Shin said:
@Aurali

in germany we have strict laws how livestock should be killed. same goes for other european countries. also your video is one of those typical propaganda films from Peta or Vegans which shows extrem cases. my video on the other hand is normal for china

No, it’s not propaganda. The footage shows standard practices. Why else would agribusinesses desperately hide themselves behind ag-gag laws and powerful lobbyists?

The more assumptions you make, the more it’s patent you’re trying to deny an inconvenient truth. I’m not telling you to go veg or anything like that, but please don’t act like we treat most farm animals humanely. That’s all.
Jun 17, 2016 9:54 AM

Sep 2015
Aurali said:

No, it’s not propaganda. The footage shows standard practices. Why else would agribusinesses desperately hide themselves behind ag-gag laws and powerful lobbyists?

The more assumptions you make, the more it’s patent you’re trying to deny an inconvenient truth. I’m not telling you to go veg or anything like that, but please don’t act like we treat most farm animals humanely. That’s all.

i don't have to deny an inconvenient truth, it's simply just not true. Only because the industry has a few black sheeps, doesn't mean it's a lobbiest and law protected animal torture association. furthermore i was talking about the EU, not the USA.

i do think we treat most farm animals humanely, but not necessarily good.

Jun 17, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2014
It's disgusting and cruel sure, along with how the west breeds and keeps dogs in tight restrictive conditions, just like how China cages their dog livestock.

Put simply the world is cruel and shouldn't eat meat. We cut off animal body parts with no anesthetic and drug them, and China does this.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Jun 17, 2016 10:09 AM

Dec 2015
They are just food. It is okay. Anyone not vegan/vegetarian should not complain. We all eat meat - just from other animals. Just a different culture there.
Jun 17, 2016 10:48 AM

Mar 2008
Hachiko75 said:
a lot of animals are regarded that way and some are even tested on. doesn't people mostly joke about how Chinese eat cats and dogs anyways?

I don't know. I like animals and all but I feel this is a double standard even on this site. It's not okay for them to kill domesticated animals but most have no problem killing other animals?

exactly, I don't like this double standard.
I love dogs and I really wish as well they wouldn't do it, but their culture is very different from mine... they have different traditions and beliefs, I don't need to agree with them but I don't think I should judge them based on this only.
Especially America has horrible standards when it comes to livestock... they aren't exactly saints themselves
Jun 17, 2016 10:56 AM

Mar 2012
Nigami_Shin said:
Aurali said:

i don't have to deny an inconvenient truth, it's simply just not true. Only because the industry has a few black sheeps, doesn't mean it's a lobbiest and law protected animal torture association. furthermore i was talking about the EU, not the USA.

i do think we treat most farm animals humanely, but not necessarily good.

Thanks for proving my point.

Let me ask you this: do you think factory farms are humane, knowing that they're designed to maximize profits while disregarding the well-being of farm animals?
Jun 17, 2016 11:06 AM

Jan 2012
This is wicked, sick and cruel beyond words. Why skin alive, boil alive .

the suffering of these dogs is so inhumane and people watch this there like nothing is happening .

the festival should be shut down .

Jun 17, 2016 11:45 AM

Aug 2013
How many dogs do you think America's pounds put down each year? atleast they're going to eat these ones.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.