MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

What's "the best" shoujo manga? Does Dengeki Daisy truly deserve the top shoujo spot on MAL?

Pages (4) « 0.6 1.6 [2.6] 3.6 »
11-02-11, 8:34 PM

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo.... it's so good that i'm surprised it's not shonen

02-03-12, 10:08 PM

I actually thought that Dengeki Daisy was quite good. It wasn't brilliant but it had a sweet believable love story and above average characters. As for the best shoujo manga... you should be more specific. Shoujo isn't really a genre, it's a demographic. For example, Natsume Yuujinchou is completely different from NANA, yet they're both shoujos. Since the topic's about Dengeki Daisy, I'll assume that we're talking about romance shoujo. If so, then to me the 'best' shoujo mangas are:

Lovely Complex
NANA
Glass Mask
Love So Life

Other ones I really like, but aren't pure romance shoujo are Akusaga, Are you Alice, 7 Seeds, Private Actress, Natsume Yuujinchou, Banana Fish, Miriam and Kagen no Tsuki.

02-04-12, 7:35 PM

IMO my favorite shoujo is Kaichou Wa Maid-sama or Nana, but than ratings doesn't always means its the best. I read 1 chapter Dengeki Daisy and it wasn't that good but then again most mangas and animes in this site is not considered #1 everywhere else since I check the amount of members and they tend to have less members (by alot) than those such as One Piece and Naruto

02-05-12, 8:24 AM

I probably need to read more shoujo manga before I can say what I think should be in the top spot, but one of my favorite shoujo manga so far has been Ultra Maniac. So I am actually kind of surprised it is only rated a 7.69, while Skip Beat is rated an 8.82. I know it's a matter of opinion, but I just feel like Ultra Maniac is superior in a lot of ways.

For that matter, why is Skip Beat rated higher than both Fruits Basket and Ouran Highschool Host Club? It is only a small difference, but I think it just goes to show you can't always trust MAL's ratings. I'm not hating on Skip Beat or anything, but compared to the other shoujo manga I have read - Ultra Maniac, Fruits Basket, Ouran, Otomen, etc - it seems a little overrated.
Modified by Higurashi, 02-05-12, 8:47 AM

02-05-12, 9:51 AM

YoungVagabond said:

Mars
Akuma to Love Song

Was going to write these two down but then I saw your post.
So, been reading Dengeki Daisy every since Vol.2 came out in the net. The reasons why I read this manga:

1) I love Kurosaki's twisted personality
2) The humor
3) Kurosaki's looks
4) How Kurosaki gets so tsundere around Teru
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

02-05-12, 10:31 AM
Review Moderator
Dengeki Daisy makes me sooooo bored xD I can never catch up with it every time I try cause it's so boring xD And the same with Kaichou wa maid-sama and special A. I just don't think they have anything rly spectacular, dunno.
I'd prefer manga like Fruits Basket or Ouran High School Host Club, Kamisama Hajimemashita and I can rly list a ton that I like xD So yeah... I'll never get why Dengeki Daisy is so popular =/

02-05-12, 4:45 PM

Wow... I completely forgot I even READ Dengeki Daisy. The reason being that it was just forgettable to me. There was nothing rememberable about it to me. The art was average, the characters were boring, and the plot was silly. It wasn't bad, just average.

Usually when a manga is popular, even if I think it's crappy, I can see why it sold so well. But this one...Well, I can't. I mean..I saw this thread and thought to myself "Hey, Dengeki Daisy sounds familiar." So I Googled it, and it turns out I've actually read it. I have pretty good memory, so it's a bad sign when I forget a manga I read not a month ago. Yes, seriously. I read it less than a month ago. I can remember manga that I've only read one chapter of years back, but I’ve read multiple chapters of DD only a couple weeks ago, and it totally fled my mind.

I'm not going to lie: I can be pretty critical when it comes to entertainment. So maybe I'm not a good source to get manga from, simply because I'm picky.

Out of the shoujo manga I've read so far, Koukou Debut is my all time favorite. It's too bad all of Kawahara's other works bore me to tears.

02-05-12, 5:38 PM

Maffy said:
Dengeki Daisy makes me sooooo bored xD I can never catch up with it every time I try cause it's so boring xD And the same with Kaichou wa maid-sama and special A. I just don't think they have anything rly spectacular, dunno.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

02-13-12, 5:12 AM

Dengeki Daisy is nice. But that's it. It's definitely not the best shoujo there is.

I really like The Wallflower and Lovely Complex, they're both super funny, but not that romantic.
A whole lot girlier are Hana to Akuma and Beast Master.

But the best shoujo is definitely Oboreru Knife!
I can't believe it's not popular.
Go everybody check it out! haha

02-14-12, 8:15 AM

I love the author Hwang, Mi Ri! Most of her works are shoujo and they include; Crazy Girl Shin Bia, Advent of Snow White of the Hell, & He Dedicated to Roses.
(although most of them are underrated.)

I also like Masca and Seimaden, they both have LOTS of fantasy/adventure.

I just started reading Dengeki Daisy...it's really good...but not the best.

I think Hana To Akuma is one of the Best, It made me cry. It has to be REALLLLY good to affect me that much.

as you can see I can't decide on which is the best of the best...so these are my top random!

02-15-12, 7:46 AM

The best are those ignored/overlooked by the immature teenage girls that have managed to get uneventful, fake & non-progressive titles such as Dengeki and Kimi ni the averages they do. Neither of those two have anything that would make more experienced, mature readers go 'WOW!', but because they make girls go 'Awwwww~!' and/or touch themselves over not-real pure love and white knighting, that's all they care about. They started out as one-shots and that's highlighted by their respective non-stories.

I look for shoujo that have a compelling narrative; something constantly pushing the story onwards beyond a world of white backgrounds. That's why I'm so fond of NG Life and PSME.

02-16-12, 6:11 PM

Fruits Basket and Akuma to Love Song should definitely be ranked MUCH higher. The only reason Akuma is practically unknown is because it hasn't been fully scanlated yet, and it's only been recently licensed by Viz.

02-19-12, 3:33 PM

fruits basket

basara

ng life

return

angel sanctuary

--
but I didn't read dengeki daisy yet.
http://dunderheads.weebly.com/

ever had this urge to stalk a person on MAL and read/watch everything they read/watched?

I had.

02-20-12, 6:36 PM

I think Dengeki Daisy was good in the beginning, but now it just drags on, I've completely lost interest in the plot. As far as shoujos go it's typical/average. I pretty much only read shoujo,

I would like to say that 14-sai no koi is the best I've ever read, but I don't think it counts, so my top shoujo, in no particular order:
Ao Haru Ride
Chihayafuru
Strobe Edge
Taiyou no Ie

My Hero and Heroine Shikkaku are pretty good so far too.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to mention Koukou Debut, that one is tops

02-23-12, 8:36 AM

Dengeki Daisy is indeed the best~!!! Some of the manga scenes are very inspiring. It point out the things that I really wanted to know & it alos teach me some important things about love, friends & life. I really like the characters too. Plus, it's funny~!!! XD So I think Dengeki Daisy truly deserve it.

There's a lot of good shoujo manga out there but this is one of the best manga that I've read.

02-23-12, 12:35 PM

I like Dengeki Daisy but I prefer other shoujos like Koukou Debut or Moe Kare!! D:

02-23-12, 1:19 PM

Dengeki Daisy a shit.
Tonari no Kaibutsukun is the best shoujo.

02-26-12, 12:07 AM

My favorite shojo is kaichou wa maid-sama! I like Dengeki Daisy, but it isn't the best. Then again I am a guy so I can't really judge what is a good manga for girls...

02-28-12, 4:42 PM

I have never read Dengeki Daisy before, but when it comes to shoujo manga, I would deffinatly say that it is worth reading, and there is plenty of wonderful stories out there!
My personal favourite manga is a shoujo manga, called Kitchen Princess... this story moved me to tears, people!

02-28-12, 4:56 PM

I'd say no. Dengeki Daisy is so not the best shoujo manga ever.
I enjoyed around three volumes of it but after that it got so cliched I couldn't stand it.

Why there's ONE shoujo manga title in top 10 manga list?
Because THERE ARE girls who like Dengeki Daisy, like, A LOT. And you can't ignore that.

03-02-12, 1:51 AM

duh..........nana!!!!!!

03-02-12, 4:30 AM

how much shojo have you people read
my 11 main things i rate on

1 Impact on Impact on industry both the anime and Original Manga had
2 TV Ratings in Japan [ Gross for movies Unit sales for OVAs 3 Manga Ka of the Sourcework
4 how loyal the anime stayed to its source how well the compare to other big name in its genre
5 Seiyuu casting [ how many i know by voice i use the royal I here ]
6 Impact on General Pop Culture in Japan and the West 7 Impact on Otaku Culture in Japan and the West
8 Music[ Instrumentation]
9 merchandise sales
10 art style 11 Studio who produced the anime[ and what thay have done for the industry]

03-02-12, 6:06 AM

24601 said:
lots...

03-02-12, 6:10 AM

YoungVagabond said:
CDRW said:
Who pays attention to shoujo manga?

Girls, mostly.
and guys who think........what's in a category anyways? most great art tends to transcend pigeonholes people try to put them in.......

03-02-12, 3:10 PM

i can't really say what's the best shoujo manga out there that should sit at the top of the MAL ratings but it certainly is not Dengeki Daisy though I love the that one...

I guess the criteria for the best shojo manga should include:

1. great story plot

2. characters that seemingly act on their own

3. the art or the style of the mangaka...

and many more... hehe...

oh, yeah.... i still have a lot to read in order to really say 'what's the best shoujo manga' out there...

03-02-12, 3:14 PM

octal9 said:
24601 said:
lots...

so how can such a lack luster shojo be so higly rated

2 TV Ratings in Japan [ Gross for movies Unit sales for OVAs 3 Manga Ka of the Sourcework
4 how loyal the anime stayed to its source how well the compare to other big name in its genre
6 Impact on General Pop Culture in Japan and the West 7 Impact on Otaku Culture in Japan and the West
9 merchandise sales
10 art style 11 Studio who produced the anime[ and what thay have done for the industry]

03-03-12, 1:45 AM

24601 said:
octal9 said:
24601 said:
lots...

never thought of yazawa's work as lacking in luster - paradise kiss and nana are two of the most emotion inducing (to me) manga i've ever read - also her artwork is beautiful! to each their own...

03-03-12, 2:33 AM

Well, I'm a girl but I don't read shoujo mangas ...I read only Dengeki Daisy right now but I have seen some shoujo animes and to tell you the thruth I didn't quite like them, besides Kimi ni Todoke.

I like more shounen,mystey and psychological mangas and animes!!!!

03-03-12, 2:40 AM

octal9 said:
24601 said:
octal9 said:
24601 said:
lots...

never thought of yazawa's work as lacking in luster - paradise kiss and nana are two of the most emotion inducing (to me) manga i've ever read - also her artwork is beautiful! to each their own...

no the year24 group manga is still the best shojo manga by far

9 merchandise sales

03-03-12, 3:06 AM

24601 said:
octal9 said:
24601 said:
octal9 said:
24601 said:
lots...

still haven't read much of the collective group of women's works, so you may be right (although i've read hanshin and claudine - both were very impressive - also loved terra e - one of the best sci-fi stories ever - actually on a level with some of tezuka's work) - i'm just speaking from what i've read thus far - my favorite as of now...
Modified by octal9, 03-03-12, 3:13 AM

03-03-12, 6:45 AM

24601 said:
octal9 said:
24601 said:
octal9 said:
24601 said:
lots...

Not much is available in English other than generic romance/romantic comedy types, thus the prevalence of lackluster stuff.

I love a number of Year 24 mangaka, but Banana Fish still trumps them to me.

... sorry Hagio Moto. I still love you.

03-03-12, 6:52 AM

shinkeikaku said:
24601 said:
octal9 said:
24601 said:
octal9 said:
24601 said:
lots...

Not much is available in English other than generic romance/romantic comedy types, thus the prevalence of lackluster stuff.

I love a number of Year 24 mangaka, but Banana Fish still trumps them to me.

... sorry Hagio Moto. I still love you.

thge only modern shojo manga ka that come close to the year 24 are takauchi watase and CLAMP yazawa is a far distant behind all of these

and manga licensers are stupid when its comes to shojo only in the main handling Beat titles very littlle Betsocomi , Hana to Yume ,Flower or ribbon stuff so the west miss out on a lot os the best shojo
Modified by FGAU1912, 03-03-12, 6:58 AM

9 merchandise sales

03-03-12, 7:37 AM

24601 said:
thge only modern shojo manga ka that come close to the year 24 are takauchi watase and CLAMP yazawa is a far distant behind all of these

and manga licensers are stupid when its comes to shojo only in the main handling Beat titles very littlle Betsocomi , Hana to Yume ,Flower or ribbon stuff so the west miss out on a lot os the best shojo

CLAMP comes close to Year 24 quality? Please, modern CLAMP has nothing on them or Yoshida Akimi as I mentioned. Maybe CLAMP from the 90's, but not their most TRC era. Yoshida Akimi has won numerous manga awards for good reasons.

03-04-12, 12:41 AM

shinkeikaku said:
24601 said:

CLAMP comes close to Year 24 quality? Please, modern CLAMP has nothing on them or Yoshida Akimi as I mentioned. Maybe CLAMP from the 90's, but not their most TRC era. Yoshida Akimi has won numerous manga awards for good reasons.

I can't agree more. Yoshida Akimi is by far the second best shoujo manga-ka for me. Well she used to be the first, only got beaten by Mori Kaoru after I read her "Emma". Yoshida Akimi's "Banana Fish" will always be my fave tho'. I think even male reader wouldn't mind reading this title. :)

03-05-12, 8:19 AM

Dengeki Daisy shouldn't be anywhere near the Top. It started off alright but then very quickly declined and its just boring garbage nowadays.

Its not funny at all, the "Go Bald Kurosaki" got old after the second time it was said, none of the characters are that likable, most of them are just stereotypes anyway, theres hardly any romance in it and the story line involving the hacking and the Jack O Frost couldnt be any less interesting if they tried.

03-05-12, 1:58 PM

First 10 pages of Dengeki Daisy bored the shit out of me.

Kaichou wa Maid-Sama made me want to murder humanity.

Favourite "shoujou" manga for me is Bokura ga Ita.

But then again. This whole thread is just a bunch of dudes whining over a Manga that's targeted at Women, we're not the primary Shoujou audience are we, so we'll never understand how "good" it is from a girls perspective. And anyway, we've got the other top 9, let them have a spot for themselves at least?
No.

03-10-12, 11:36 AM

scabab said:
Dengeki Daisy shouldn't be anywhere near the Top. It started off alright but then very quickly declined and its just boring garbage nowadays.

Its not funny at all, the "Go Bald Kurosaki" got old after the second time it was said, none of the characters are that likable, most of them are just stereotypes anyway, theres hardly any romance in it and the story line involving the hacking and the Jack O Frost couldnt be any less interesting if they tried.

I kind of agree the plot can get really boring and should be more interesting. Although I loved the manga I don't really think it should be 1st place.

03-10-12, 11:42 AM

octal9 said:
duh..........nana!!!!!!

Duh, Nana is Josei, not Shoujo. :/

Personally, I really liked Dengeki Daisy but I may have actually liked Beast Master more from that mangaka. But personally, the characters really appealed to me (Kurosaki is probably one of my favorite male shoujo leads) and the comedy made me laugh, so I guess it was just my kinds of series.

Cardcaptor Sakura is a classic shoujo, in my opinion.

03-12-12, 3:20 AM

i dont know, i only started reading these kind recently, i meant, the more mature shoujo type manga

started off with junjou romantica-usagi x misaki is the only pairing i like in there

then sekaiichi hatsukoi-luv all the pairings

fangirling moment~~~~
ani-mel-dono

03-13-12, 5:30 AM

Can somebody explain to me why High School Debut is a good manga?

03-13-12, 6:10 AM

Kipcha said:
octal9 said:
duh..........nana!!!!!!

Duh, Nana is Josei, not Shoujo. :/

Personally, I really liked Dengeki Daisy but I may have actually liked Beast Master more from that mangaka. But personally, the characters really appealed to me (Kurosaki is probably one of my favorite male shoujo leads) and the comedy made me laugh, so I guess it was just my kinds of series.

Cardcaptor Sakura is a classic shoujo, in my opinion.
oh the torture!!! sorry for mixed up my categories.....pigeonholing things i love never was terribly important to me anyways.

03-13-12, 6:15 AM

StarrySkv said:
Can somebody explain to me why High School Debut is a good manga?

You know I have no idea I really never understood the manga :/ It really dosen't suit my tastes.
(」゜ロ゜)」

03-13-12, 6:24 AM

shinkeikaku said:
24601 said:

the big shojo croniclas beat lala ribbon flower
are publishing poor stuuf of late yes cuase of my high stanted of shojo manga a 7 is bad in my book and 8 is just slighly better than poor 9 nines AND TENS ARE THE ONLY only thigns wroth nay thing on my Manga list but essaccply with shojo
im a guy with a biig shojo collcetion than shonen
my rating scale manga
1-4 the worst
5 Bad
6 ok
7 Passible
8 decent
9 excelent
10 perfect mumt read iv read this masterpiece why have you not
Modified by FGAU1912, 03-13-12, 6:34 AM

9 merchandise sales

04-27-12, 11:22 PM

abiranz said:
shinkeikaku said:
24601 said:

I can't agree more. Yoshida Akimi is by far the second best shoujo manga-ka for me. Well she used to be the first, only got beaten by Mori Kaoru after I read her "Emma". Yoshida Akimi's "Banana Fish" will always be my fave tho'. I think even male reader wouldn't mind reading this title. :)

I'm pretty sure Mori's mangas are classified as seinen.

04-27-12, 11:30 PM

A lot of the best shojo mangas aren't available even in scanlation. I wish more of Tsumugi Taku's works are scanlated, or at least someone would finish scanlating Hot Road. Also wish there were more available works from year 24 manga artists (Yumiko Ooshima especially) and their contemporaries as well as latter pioneers of the genre like Akimi Yoshida, Uchida Yoshimi, and Ichijo Yukari.

07-04-12, 12:55 PM

honestly I Like DD A LOT, is it the best Shoujo, I don't think so, but to be fair I don't care about the ratings anywhere, the best for me that realy get me hooked tend to have a low rating

07-08-12, 6:58 PM

I'm not a big shoujo fan or something but I tried to read Dengeki Daisy once and didn't like it. I think there should be something more interesting or enyojable or something than Dengeki Daisy but these kind of things are so personal of course.
"People fall in love with a person, not a gender."

07-09-12, 12:04 AM

but then again, we have our own taste/cup of tea. ^___^ if someone thinks that a certain manga is kind of overrated, it doesn't mean that others feel the same way. and, Skip Beat earned the top shoujo spot atm. but for me, Koukou Debut is more memorable. <3

"if i can't have you all to myself, then i don't want ANYTHING from you."

07-09-12, 4:01 PM

Well, the only contemporary shojo series that I think deserves to be anywhere near the 'best' shojo is Nana - Ai Yazawa is amazing. I actually do really like Dengeki Daisy, but I still prefer series such as Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango) and Kodocha to it. Although I haven't read much in the way of 70s or 80s shojo, I have a lot of respect for classic shojo series and wish more of them were licensed in the U.S.

07-10-12, 8:36 PM

If ONE PIECE gets the top shounen spot, then who gives a fuck what happens to shoujo?
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"Who the hell are you, bastard!?" - Bandit "Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijurou
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijurou

Pages (4) « 0.6 1.6 [2.6] 3.6 »