MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

What's "the best" shoujo manga? Does Dengeki Daisy truly deserve the top shoujo spot on MAL?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Manga Discussion »» What's "the best" shoujo manga? Does Dengeki Daisy truly deserve the top shoujo spot on MAL?

Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
11-02-11, 8:34 PM

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo.... it's so good that i'm surprised it's not shonen

02-03-12, 10:08 PM

I actually thought that Dengeki Daisy was quite good. It wasn't brilliant but it had a sweet believable love story and above average characters. As for the best shoujo manga... you should be more specific. Shoujo isn't really a genre, it's a demographic. For example, Natsume Yuujinchou is completely different from NANA, yet they're both shoujos. Since the topic's about Dengeki Daisy, I'll assume that we're talking about romance shoujo. If so, then to me the 'best' shoujo mangas are:

Lovely Complex
NANA
Glass Mask
Love So Life

Other ones I really like, but aren't pure romance shoujo are Akusaga, Are you Alice, 7 Seeds, Private Actress, Natsume Yuujinchou, Banana Fish, Miriam and Kagen no Tsuki.

02-04-12, 7:35 PM

IMO my favorite shoujo is Kaichou Wa Maid-sama or Nana, but than ratings doesn't always means its the best. I read 1 chapter Dengeki Daisy and it wasn't that good but then again most mangas and animes in this site is not considered #1 everywhere else since I check the amount of members and they tend to have less members (by alot) than those such as One Piece and Naruto

02-05-12, 8:24 AM

I probably need to read more shoujo manga before I can say what I think should be in the top spot, but one of my favorite shoujo manga so far has been Ultra Maniac. So I am actually kind of surprised it is only rated a 7.69, while Skip Beat is rated an 8.82. I know it's a matter of opinion, but I just feel like Ultra Maniac is superior in a lot of ways.

For that matter, why is Skip Beat rated higher than both Fruits Basket and Ouran Highschool Host Club? It is only a small difference, but I think it just goes to show you can't always trust MAL's ratings. I'm not hating on Skip Beat or anything, but compared to the other shoujo manga I have read - Ultra Maniac, Fruits Basket, Ouran, Otomen, etc - it seems a little overrated.
Modified by Higurashi, 02-05-12, 8:47 AM

02-05-12, 9:51 AM

YoungVagabond said:

Mars
Akuma to Love Song

Was going to write these two down but then I saw your post.
So, been reading Dengeki Daisy every since Vol.2 came out in the net. The reasons why I read this manga:

1) I love Kurosaki's twisted personality
2) The humor
3) Kurosaki's looks
4) How Kurosaki gets so tsundere around Teru

02-05-12, 10:31 AM

Dengeki Daisy makes me sooooo bored xD I can never catch up with it every time I try cause it's so boring xD And the same with Kaichou wa maid-sama and special A. I just don't think they have anything rly spectacular, dunno.
I'd prefer manga like Fruits Basket or Ouran High School Host Club, Kamisama Hajimemashita and I can rly list a ton that I like xD So yeah... I'll never get why Dengeki Daisy is so popular =/

02-05-12, 4:45 PM

Wow... I completely forgot I even READ Dengeki Daisy. The reason being that it was just forgettable to me. There was nothing rememberable about it to me. The art was average, the characters were boring, and the plot was silly. It wasn't bad, just average.

Usually when a manga is popular, even if I think it's crappy, I can see why it sold so well. But this one...Well, I can't. I mean..I saw this thread and thought to myself "Hey, Dengeki Daisy sounds familiar." So I Googled it, and it turns out I've actually read it. I have pretty good memory, so it's a bad sign when I forget a manga I read not a month ago. Yes, seriously. I read it less than a month ago. I can remember manga that I've only read one chapter of years back, but I’ve read multiple chapters of DD only a couple weeks ago, and it totally fled my mind.

I'm not going to lie: I can be pretty critical when it comes to entertainment. So maybe I'm not a good source to get manga from, simply because I'm picky.

Out of the shoujo manga I've read so far, Koukou Debut is my all time favorite. It's too bad all of Kawahara's other works bore me to tears.

02-05-12, 5:38 PM

Maffy said:
Dengeki Daisy makes me sooooo bored xD I can never catch up with it every time I try cause it's so boring xD And the same with Kaichou wa maid-sama and special A. I just don't think they have anything rly spectacular, dunno.

02-13-12, 5:12 AM

Dengeki Daisy is nice. But that's it. It's definitely not the best shoujo there is.

I really like The Wallflower and Lovely Complex, they're both super funny, but not that romantic.
A whole lot girlier are Hana to Akuma and Beast Master.

But the best shoujo is definitely Oboreru Knife!
I can't believe it's not popular.
Go everybody check it out! haha

02-14-12, 8:15 AM

I love the author Hwang, Mi Ri! Most of her works are shoujo and they include; Crazy Girl Shin Bia, Advent of Snow White of the Hell, & He Dedicated to Roses.
(although most of them are underrated.)

I also like Masca and Seimaden, they both have LOTS of fantasy/adventure.

I just started reading Dengeki Daisy...it's really good...but not the best.

I think Hana To Akuma is one of the Best, It made me cry. It has to be REALLLLY good to affect me that much.

as you can see I can't decide on which is the best of the best...so these are my top random!

02-15-12, 7:46 AM

The best are those ignored/overlooked by the immature teenage girls that have managed to get uneventful, fake & non-progressive titles such as Dengeki and Kimi ni the averages they do. Neither of those two have anything that would make more experienced, mature readers go 'WOW!', but because they make girls go 'Awwwww~!' and/or touch themselves over not-real pure love and white knighting, that's all they care about. They started out as one-shots and that's highlighted by their respective non-stories.

I look for shoujo that have a compelling narrative; something constantly pushing the story onwards beyond a world of white backgrounds. That's why I'm so fond of NG Life and PSME.

02-16-12, 6:11 PM

Fruits Basket and Akuma to Love Song should definitely be ranked MUCH higher. The only reason Akuma is practically unknown is because it hasn't been fully scanlated yet, and it's only been recently licensed by Viz.

02-19-12, 3:33 PM

fruits basket

basara

ng life

return

angel sanctuary

--
but I didn't read dengeki daisy yet.
http://dunderheads.weebly.com/

ever had this urge to stalk a person on MAL and read/watch everything they read/watched?

I had.

02-20-12, 6:36 PM

I think Dengeki Daisy was good in the beginning, but now it just drags on, I've completely lost interest in the plot. As far as shoujos go it's typical/average. I pretty much only read shoujo,

I would like to say that 14-sai no koi is the best I've ever read, but I don't think it counts, so my top shoujo, in no particular order:
Ao Haru Ride
Chihayafuru
Strobe Edge
Taiyou no Ie

My Hero and Heroine Shikkaku are pretty good so far too.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to mention Koukou Debut, that one is tops

02-23-12, 8:36 AM

Dengeki Daisy is indeed the best~!!! Some of the manga scenes are very inspiring. It point out the things that I really wanted to know & it alos teach me some important things about love, friends & life. I really like the characters too. Plus, it's funny~!!! XD So I think Dengeki Daisy truly deserve it.

There's a lot of good shoujo manga out there but this is one of the best manga that I've read.

02-23-12, 12:35 PM

I like Dengeki Daisy but I prefer other shoujos like Koukou Debut or Moe Kare!! D:

02-23-12, 1:19 PM

Dengeki Daisy a shit.
Tonari no Kaibutsukun is the best shoujo.

02-26-12, 12:07 AM

My favorite shojo is kaichou wa maid-sama! I like Dengeki Daisy, but it isn't the best. Then again I am a guy so I can't really judge what is a good manga for girls...

02-28-12, 4:42 PM

I have never read Dengeki Daisy before, but when it comes to shoujo manga, I would deffinatly say that it is worth reading, and there is plenty of wonderful stories out there!
My personal favourite manga is a shoujo manga, called Kitchen Princess... this story moved me to tears, people!

02-28-12, 4:56 PM

I'd say no. Dengeki Daisy is so not the best shoujo manga ever.
I enjoyed around three volumes of it but after that it got so cliched I couldn't stand it.

Why there's ONE shoujo manga title in top 10 manga list?
Because THERE ARE girls who like Dengeki Daisy, like, A LOT. And you can't ignore that.

Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices