Forum Settings
Forums

What's "the best" shoujo manga? Does Dengeki Daisy truly deserve the top shoujo spot on MAL?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 23, 2013 7:38 AM

Feb 2013
Dengeki Daisy was alright.Didn't quite manage to impress me much.

There are many more shoujo manga,that are far better (as others have obviously pointed out).
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Life
Diamond dust ( webtoon not here on MAL)
Koukou Debut
Hana Kimi
etc are much deserving to point out a few.
Only that science is a great and the best of all sciences,
the study of which frees man from all kinds of miseries.
Jun 24, 2013 3:37 AM

Aug 2011
Kodomo no Omocha

I only finish reading it months ago.
Really surprise by the quality.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Jun 24, 2013 6:33 AM

Oct 2012
I have been enjoying it quite a bit until last 2-3 chapters.. just seems slow and a bit boring with Rena's arc. Kurosaki and Teru need some progress soon. The whole "we are about to kiss, oh wait, goofy scene, everyone pretend nothing happened" thing is getting too old and repetitive...

EDIT: I'm at chapter 56
kittenmittonsJun 25, 2013 11:13 AM
All Will Be Well
Mar 30, 2016 11:58 AM
Mar 2016
For me, it was one of the best, people have different choices and taste, I really love this manga and it's unique, It's not boring, you just don't want to feel and understand the situation on the chapters, if you just read it without understanding, i mean like just browsing to it, you'll ended up nothing is special to the story. I really don't get it why some people think that it was boring? I'm very satisfied and I really enjoyed reading this manga. It wasn't the best, I repeat but this is one of the best, I think. (even I re-read it as many times as I want, I didn't get bored)
Apr 1, 2016 3:38 AM

Jun 2013
I read Dengeki Daisy and I don't think it deserves that place. Not because it was bad, definitely wasn't but overall I would give it a 7, because I think It was too long and there wasn't anything original about it. Dengeki Daisy is basically a very well done cliche which I enjoyed. It didn't leave me an everlasting impression but it gave me entertaiment and that's is mostly what I needed.

Why I think Dengeky Daisy has such a high score:

-It isn't controversial. It's the kind of manga that most people will enjoy, even if they don't consider it a masterpiece.
-Even though it isn't ground breaking it is very good for what it's supposes to be - a fun shoujo manga.
- Most people rate manga's only based on their enjoynment which is not bad, enjoynment is a lot of the times the most important thing but you have to understand a good story is not only entertainment.
For exapmle : Yesterday I finished reading Ichigo chanell. If you asked me if I liked it I would say "Yeah". But I gave it a 6. Why is that? Because even though my teenage girl self enjoyed the cheesy romance the story is unoriginal, characters lack development and the art kind of sucks. I have to be honest with myself and look at the story criticaly. But you know not all of us feel the need to look at a story so deeply and that is completely fine.
- Since it's already so popular new manga readers might think it's really good, because they haven't read a lot of shoujo manga's yet.
- And the most important - PERSONAL TASTE. I read all the post responding to this topic and most people said that they enjoyed Dengeki Daisy but they don't think it's the best. And when people said their opinion about Dengeki Daisy they continiued by listing theyr favorite shoujo's. Looking through people's top shoujo's a lot of the time I agreed but other times I thought their favorite shoujo manga is worse that Dengeki Daisy. And that's because we have our personal taste.
For example: one of my favorite shoujo manga is Life and It's always strange for me how unpopular it is, because I loved it. But one of the main reasons why I liked it so much is because the themes the story is dealing with hit a really personal spot in my heart that some people might not have. The ideas that were presented in the manga helped me overcome a really hard period of my life. So Life is my favorite manga, even if some of you dislike it.

P.S. forgive me if my english is bad, not a native speaker.
Apr 7, 2016 12:33 PM

Dec 2015
I would nominate for "best shôjô" X or Gensômaden Saiyûki (and its direct sequel titles) but they will probably never be completed.
Apr 17, 2016 10:02 PM

Nov 2008
Full Moon Wo Sagashite is the best shoujo manga and anyone who says otherwise is WRONG. :'D

May 2, 2016 6:39 PM

May 2014
I've not read Dengeki Daisy yet...I'll probably get round to it eventually but the initial premise doesn't really grab me, y'know.

Nana is technically a Shoujo, so that's my personal number one of the genre!!
It's one of the only Shoujo manga series that hasn't left me bored part way through...the relationships and many romances never feel one dimensional, nor do they become stale.

Other standouts are Kamisama Hajimemashita and Kaze Hikaru (that one really needs more love)!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2016 7:18 PM

Jul 2014
For me, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is definitely the best without a doubt. Beautiful story with equally beautiful art to match. I almost cried when it ended.
May 7, 2016 7:49 PM

Jul 2014
I'm a huge fan of shoujo manga and have probably read too much of it.

But there's no question that my favorite would have to be Skip Beat! for obvious reasons (to those who read it).

Others I absolutely love (and recommend) as well are:

The One
Ouran High School Host Club
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Gakuen Alice
Kamisama Hajimemashita

(I can keep going on and on so I'll keep the list at 5.)

Ah, but Dengeki Daisy is also really good though. xD

Strawberrycake48 said:
It's one of the only Shoujo manga series that hasn't left me bored part way through...the relationships and many romances never feel one dimensional, nor do they become stale.

I love NANA! It's one of my biggest faves (if only Ai Yazawa would continue it already :/) but its mature themes make it Josei, not Shoujo~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 7, 2016 8:35 PM
Sep 2015
Well... it's good. Wouldn't say the best but one of the best. I've read a lot of shoujo manga so I guess I can say it's good. I may be biased because everyone likes certain things.

Dengeki Daisy has a lot of character developmemt. You've got to seriously get past chapter one (or the first few chapters) to find how everything just fits together. The idea of a guy going on lengths to protect a girl makes you wonder why does he do it?

Plot wise I think it's simplicity at it's finest. It doesn't go down something completely out of the characters (which many shoujo mangas do). There's friendship, family and romantic love in it.

I don't see why it should be looked down upon. Definitely not overrated. But it doesn't mean that the lesser popular mangas aren't better.
May 8, 2016 11:13 AM

May 2014
raenydays said:
I'm a huge fan of shoujo manga and have probably read too much of it.

But there's no question that my favorite would have to be Skip Beat! for obvious reasons (to those who read it).

Others I absolutely love (and recommend) as well are:

The One
Ouran High School Host Club
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Gakuen Alice
Kamisama Hajimemashita

(I can keep going on and on so I'll keep the list at 5.)

Ah, but Dengeki Daisy is also really good though. xD

Strawberrycake48 said:

I love NANA! It's one of my biggest faves (if only Ai Yazawa would continue it already :/) but its mature themes make it Josei, not Shoujo~

It seems like a Josei, but lots of people say it's a Shoujo because it was serialised in a Shoujo magazine...I think it was Cookie. I dunno, whatever it is...I love NANA!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2017 7:45 AM
Nov 2016
Here in 2017, we can safely say Dengeki Daisy is the best shoujo ever made!
Going through Tumblr...The dark side of humanity.
Apr 9, 2017 9:01 AM
Jul 2018
Funny thing. More than 2/3 of the manga I read nowadays are shōjo/josei, and I never heard of that Dengeki Daisy before seeing this topic.

Anyway, it's not the top shōjo manga on MAL anymore.

Meanwhile, Banana Fish is #663 and Thomas no Shinzou is #520. *sigh*
May 22, 2017 2:22 AM

Feb 2017
I consider myself a shoujo freak, and I can assure you that Dengeki Daisy isn't worthy of being the top shoujo spot on mal, there's plenty of better shoujo, but all in all, you can't really come to a solid top spot shoujo, cause end of the day it all depends on the person's liking. Like for me I have a lot of fav shoujos, but I wouldn't consider any of em the best, all because they're all really great in their own way.
❄✼❄✼❄✼❄✼

𝘊𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘥.
𝘍𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘪𝘵 𝘴𝘸𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘢𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘬𝘪𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘰𝘤𝘦𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘦𝘹𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯.

❄✼❄✼❄✼❄✼
May 22, 2017 4:41 AM

Dec 2015
Dengeki Daisy was interesting at first but it became boring (for me) later on.., I even had to put it on hold because of that. So yeah, I don't think it deserve to be on top shoujo manga here in MAL.
May 22, 2017 5:49 AM

May 2009
I haven't read much shoujo manga, and I'm not a fan anymore... But if I'd choose one from those I've read, it would probably be Skip Beat. :)

Dengeki Daisy on the other hand quite caught my interest with the synopsis. Unlike with Skip Beat, I can't remember why I put it on-hold... Probably because it got me bored.

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
May 23, 2017 2:34 PM

Feb 2014
A lot of shoujo manga in general tend to be worse than other demographics but the best shoujo imo is Sunadokei.

May 28, 2017 6:45 AM

Feb 2016
I really like Dengeki Daisy.It was really cute,emotional and entertaining to read.I liked it a lot.But I still don' think it's actually the best.I would say NANA but it's more Josei than actually Shoujo.My favorite Shoujo should be Akatsuki no Yona because it's really nice to read.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
May 28, 2017 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
-Asuka said:
I would say NANA but it's more Josei than actually Shoujo.

A shōjo is a shōjo because it's published in a shōjo magazine, which is the case of Nana. Not because of its content.

Anyway, "josei" isn't a real thing, in Japan they usually don't make a proper distinction between "josei" and "shōjo". They're more prone to divide the "shōjo" category in 3 or 4 age subcategories. (Child, teenager, young adult and adult)

And anyway again, if you really dig seriously the shōjo category, stuffs like Nana aren't unusual at all. You can find pretty mature shōjo regularly since the 70s decade.
Dec 5, 2021 3:19 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I personally think Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Kitchen Princess, and Full Moon wo Sagashite are among the best shoujo out there.

But then again, I have yet to read Dengeki Daisy... so who knows? :P
Jan 26, 2022 2:22 PM

Apr 2020
I thought Dengeki Daisy was ok, my favorite is Ao Haru Ride
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Jan 27, 2022 11:22 PM

Nov 2012
I used to consume so much shoujo, and Dengeki Daisy was actually the last one I read before switching to a different genre. I read it because I really like Beast Master from the same author and the premise sounded interesting. However, the progression of the story and development were disappointing, too slow and too predictable.

My top favorite is still Mars. It left a lasting impact on the psychology of trauma and a beautiful depiction of overcoming them.

For more lighthearted shoujo, my tops are still Ouran, The Wallflower, and Beauty Pop.

Jan 29, 2022 8:15 PM
Jan 2020
Ohayou, Ibarahime and Sand Chronicles are probably the best shoujo that I think deserves a higher rate in this community
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
7 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
8 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
9 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
9 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.