Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 3, 2016 10:12 AM
Jun 2016
Hi everyone :)
This post will contain major spoilers so if you don't have watched it yet please do not read it.

I actually enjoyed this movie a lot and I also watched and liked the series.
Also I thought I would have good knowledge of time travel and such after watching SteinsGate.

Well but in the end I could not solve one question.

The scene where Kyon is stabbed by Asakura.
How is it possible that he appears to save himself?

As far as I understood it should not be possible because the future where he comes from should not exist since he had not given Nagato the injection.

So I think the future should be that version where everyone lives normally without any supernatural.

I know I must have misunderstood something so I would be very happy if someone could help me out :)

Jun 3, 2016 10:28 AM

Dec 2015
At the end of the movie Kyon acknowledges that some time in the future he will have to travel back in time to save himself. We as the audience know that he will eventually go back and save himself because...he did save himself, therefore it must happen in the future (if any of that makes sense)

"We know it happens because it happened" would be the simplest way to put it :p
Jun 3, 2016 10:33 AM
Jun 2016
Yes I know he said he has to save himself but wants to try the hot pot first.

But still I ask myself how it is possible that he can do that.
As this "current" future should be impossible since he had not given Nagato the injection.
Jun 3, 2016 11:03 AM
Jun 2016
I know what a plot hole is :)
But I thought I was just misunderstanding something.
I did not thought about a plot hole.
Jun 3, 2016 3:03 PM

Nov 2015
When you get to the part where you are imagining an altered future with a human nagato STOP. It never happens. You are writing your own story.

The future self save loop is what happened. Its possible because he see's himself doing it.
Jun 10, 2016 10:24 AM

Mar 2016
It's not a plot hole.
After Kyon injects Yuki, the timeline is changed so that Kyon bumped his head the next day. He just gets to keep the memories of the alternate world.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jun 10, 2016 10:28 AM

Dec 2015
kamisama751 said:
It is calles "plot hole". I think you need to add this term into your dictionary.

Except it's not a plot hole, OP just failed to understand time travel.
Jul 13, 2016 9:02 PM

Apr 2015
*Insert "Read the LN" comment here*
Sep 9, 2016 9:45 AM

Oct 2014
It's very confusing but if you read the light novel (I read them all. However I barely remember so correct me if I'm wrong) it's not a plot hole.
Dec 23, 2016 4:56 AM

Jun 2013
poppyface said:
It's not a plot hole.
After Kyon injects Yuki, the timeline is changed so that Kyon bumped his head the next day. He just gets to keep the memories of the alternate world.

But what he's saying is Kyon never DID inject Yuki, Kyon #2 did. But, since Kyon was stabbed before injecting Yuki, how does Kyon #2 even exist at that point?
Dec 23, 2016 9:05 AM

Mar 2016
KyonIwasawa said:
poppyface said:
It's not a plot hole.

But what he's saying is Kyon never DID inject Yuki, Kyon #2 did. But, since Kyon was stabbed before injecting Yuki, how does Kyon #2 even exist at that point?
Kyon #2 saved himself so he could save himself I guess
Causal loops are nothing new in the realm of storytelling
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Mar 18, 2019 5:54 PM
Jun 2017
I still think it’s a plot hole
Jul 23, 2019 3:26 PM

Jun 2019
Just finished watching this today and was confused by the same scene at first (and also why when back in his original fixed world the event which rendered him unconscious was changed to falling down the school staircase), but it seems to be saying that the reason future Kyon #2 existed is because he was always the one who was going to come back and give Yuki the injection, not the Kyon we were following.

It's maybe a case of being deliberately narratively misleading. We were following the Kyon who was stabbed, so naturally as the protagonist we expected he'd be central to the action, but that version of him was never the one to give Yuki the injection. It was a version of him that traveled back in time to the morning of the 18th from the present world moments after Yuki changed everything in the space-time continuum. That's why in the last scenes in the movie we see him talking about still being obligated to go back and do that, to play his role as that Kyon, to ensure the world ends up as it is now. He'll have to go back and do it soon, but he's shown putting it off and preferring to partake in some of Haruhi's hotpot extravaganza.
Jun 5, 2020 1:37 PM
Jan 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
Just finished watching this today and was confused by the same scene at first (and also why when back in his original fixed world the event which rendered him unconscious was changed to falling down the school staircase), but it seems to be saying that the reason future Kyon #2 existed is because he was always the one who was going to come back and give Yuki the injection, not the Kyon we were following.

It's maybe a case of being deliberately narratively misleading. We were following the Kyon who was stabbed, so naturally as the protagonist we expected he'd be central to the action, but that version of him was never the one to give Yuki the injection. It was a version of him that traveled back in time to the morning of the 18th from the present world moments after Yuki changed everything in the space-time continuum. That's why in the last scenes in the movie we see him talking about still being obligated to go back and do that, to play his role as that Kyon, to ensure the world ends up as it is now. He'll have to go back and do it soon, but he's shown putting it off and preferring to partake in some of Haruhi's hotpot extravaganza.

The question still stands though, Kyon should have died being stabbed but then Kyon 2# saved him and shot yuki. Kyon #(?) Woke up in the correct world and starts saying he has to go back in time to restore things... Which is still in the same original world(?) So he can't save kyon(stabbed) from being stabbed if he is in the correct world, and he can't shoot yuki if he's in the correct world because these events are in the parallel world.

Then again, I havent read the LN yet so yeah
Jun 24, 2020 6:24 PM

Feb 2013
Kyon #2 is not a result of Kyon #1 life.
I do believe that Kyon #1 has actually died there.. but ir doesn't matter cause the whole world that Kyon came from disappeared.
Kyon #2 remained with the whole experience cause his mentality didn't get affected by Nagato anyways.. that's why he knew he had to continue what his other version failed to do.

In brief, Kyon #1 timeline mutated, then he moved totally in another line. his death doesn't affect Kyon from this timeline.
Jun 29, 2020 9:07 PM

Apr 2018

WatchTillTandava said:

So there were three kyon in the morning of 18th?
one from 21st
one living
one from future
The future one saves himself from Asakura and the timeline changes to normal and now he has to go back in the past to save another one, is that you are saying?

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.