MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Best shoujo mangas
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Best shoujo mangas

01-16-10, 5:21 PM

What are some really good shoujo mangas?

01-16-10, 8:03 PM

im a guy so i dont red too much shoujo, because in all honesty, some of them are just, too much homosexuality if you know what i mean. that being said, i would recommend as a new series kaichou wa maid sama. funny, cute and overall quite enjoyable. one of my favorites. another newer on to try would be watashi ni XX shinasai. also another great new shoujo series.

01-16-10, 8:05 PM

Generally, I don't like shoujo but Sore demo Yappari Kimi ga Suki is pretty good.
(The best would be Koukou Debut)

01-16-10, 8:53 PM

Kimi ni Todoke is pretty good, altough I personally like more anime adaptation.
Give me ten men like Clouseau and I could destroy the world.

01-16-10, 8:56 PM

Mars hands down. Won't come across a more beautiful, emotional shoujo manga.

01-16-10, 9:46 PM

I used to be really into shoujo. I recommend: anything by Arina Tanemura (great art style, especially Full Moon wo Sagashite and Gentlemen's Alliance), Fruits Basket, Kimi ni Todoke, Ouran Highschool Host Club, and Sand Chronicles.

01-16-10, 10:53 PM
Manga Moderator
It depends on your taste and what you're in the mood for.

After School Nightmare - very psychological
Skip Beat! - hilarious
Cat Street - wonderful character development for the main lead
Fruits Basket - a great story with a focus on family, gets heavier as it progresses
Akagami no Shirayuki Hime - has a surprisingly non-ditzy lead
The Bride of the Water God - the detailed art is extremely impressive
Aishiteruze Baby - very sweet story
Ludwig Revolution - hilarious, dark comedy
Karakuri Odette - there's something about this manga that makes it stand out in a good way, despite the cliché premise

01-17-10, 12:34 AM

Well, it's hard to say what are the "best" shoujo mangas because there are many different sub-genres. I would second Mars (although it gets a little heavy at times) and Fruits Basket (which has a slight "magic" element). Actually, all of the recommendations so far are pretty good.

Since people are most likely to give you the names of some "popular" titles, here are a few lesser known titles, if you're so inclined to read them:

If you don't mind really long series, Basara is a very much under appreciated epic fantasy.

Another good series which isn't completed yet is Akagami no Shirayuki Hime, which is another fantasy. Although it's not "school slice-of-life," the innocent romance reminds me of Koukou Debut, Kimi ni Todoke, and the like.

As for comedy, Otomen makes me L-O-L, seriously. It is itself a parody of all shoujo mangas, and there is even a parody within this parody. The novelty of the idea of the story does get old after a while, however.

Enjoy!

01-17-10, 12:49 AM

In b4 Kimi ni... oh, wait, I'm too late!

burntlettuce said:
Mars hands down. Won't come across a more beautiful, emotional shoujo manga.

Mars is the best I've read, by quite a distance. So, yeah, what this man said.

01-17-10, 12:51 AM

My favorite is Koukou Debut, by far.

01-17-10, 5:30 AM

I love Shoujo manga, so here's a list of manga series that I recommend...

Shoujo

- Bride of the Water God (beautiful art)
- Kare Kano (I haven't even made it halfway through the series yet, but the series bases itself a lot on facades, basically. It's funny! Fairly light for the most of it, but it does have its dark moments.)
- Kimi ni Todoke (You must know of this from the anime. They are pretty much the same, but I'm watching and reading it anyway. It's getting a lot of hype for a reason.)
- Sand Chronicles (I don't know. I have an attachment to this series. I like its...honest nature. I can't think of a better word to describe it. Innocent.)
- NANA (Music, but it's more about two people with the same name who coincidentally meet each other, and they learn a lot from the experience. Some mature/adult themes/scenes.)
- Paradise Kiss (Fashion! Right now I'm liking the anime more, but the manga is still really good.)
- Bokura ga Ita (We were there) (People say its similar to Kimi ni Todoke. I have to say that this one is a BIT more...superficial? However, I still recommend it.)
- Fruits Basket (For some reason this series rubs me the wrong way, though I used to love it. I think it's because the art could have been better. Even so, it is very popular, and it is pretty different to the others...in a few ways.)
- Mars (A bit old, but the bad boy/good girl storyline is wonderful here.)
- Itazura na Kiss (was made way before many series we read now. back in the 90s, the cliches we know of today were scarce.)
- Hana Yori Dango (I would heavily recommend this, but I think after some time has passed, this series tends to drag on. It's around 32 volumes long, from memory.)
- Marmalade Boy (A boy and a girl start living together over certain circumstances, and eventually fall in love.)

Josei - I highly recommend these titles xDD Each one deals with completely different things!

- Nodame Cantabile (music- while it may be hard to convey something that it supposed to be heard, the mangaka actually works pretty well with it, HILARIOUS, funny characters)
- With the Light (Deals with Autism and follows the life of an autistic child. I love the great deal of consideration the mangaka has taken when making this manga. It has made me grow to appreciate life more, and I've also become more understanding towards those who are disabled.)
- Usagi Drop (a father-daughter kind of story, though they're technically not. I don't know what to say...the girl is cute.)
- Honey and Clover (slice of life, romance, comedy- memorable characters. Definite everyone must at least this series!!)

Needless to say, it really depends on what your preferences are as to how you will respond to these series. While most people really hate the cliches, I don't mind it all that much. I loved the art of all of these series. I did mention a lot of series that people above me probably forgot to mention.

I would also recommend others that people have mentioned.
Modified by cherii, 01-17-10, 5:47 AM

01-17-10, 11:42 AM

adamantine said:

Skip Beat!
Fruits Basket
Aishiteruze Baby

-Kimi no Todoke
-Sand Chronicles
-Peach Girl
-B.O.D.Y.
-Absolute Boyfriend/Zettai Kareshi
Chupachupi said:

• Honey and Clover: This this this.

• You can also use the advanced search engine to find shoujo manga by selecting the "shoujo" tag. Scores will be listed on the right.
    Modified by Ramen, 01-17-10, 12:22 PM

01-17-10, 12:07 PM

Wow, seems like there are a lot of good recommendations already. Here are the ones I like in particular though (omitting the ones I see in your list, and some that I see have already been recommended):

• Beauty Pop: I don't know what kind of shoujo manga you like, but this one has a sweet story. There are clichés here and there, of course, but it's a good, light read.
    • Cat Street: Has hints of drama.
    • Power!!: Okay, okay, this is mostly here because it's one of the first shoujo I read and enjoyed, so it has a special place in my heart. :P
    • Honey and Clover: This this this. Slice of life type manga. Beautiful and bittersweet. Someone recommended this earlier, but I have to say, if you don't read anything else, please read this. (Edit: Oh! You've watched the first season of the anime! :D)

Also, you might want to check out stuff by Sumomo Yumeka. Some of her stuff is yaoi, but I love her art style, and her stories are usually cute. Mostly collections of one-shots though, if that's your thing.

Yazawa Ai also has some neat shoujo manga. I like NANA best so far. Prepare tissues.
    Modified by Chupachupi, 01-17-10, 12:13 PM

01-17-10, 12:15 PM

Thanks. I have read a few of these, but most of them sound pretty good. I must get to reading now.

01-17-10, 2:38 PM

Akuma to Love Song is a good one.

01-17-10, 2:47 PM

As a guy who thinks the genre sucks overall, the two best are

Mars
    Akuma to Love Song

Beyond that, there are a few good one-shots;

Heaven's Door
    Deep Love Virus

While they're probably closer to josei,

Omae ga Sekai o Kowashitai Nara
    Fetish

were also very good.

01-17-10, 6:13 PM

Revolutionary Girl Utena and Sailor Moon

I only watched anime adaptations, but since they're one of best titles I saw, I believe material sources have some worth as well.
    Give me ten men like Clouseau and I could destroy the world.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices