Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2016 6:40 AM

Sep 2013
Like, seriously, Im doing my best to somehow relate to this unrealistic kid, but just cant. He is absurd. Even if he was about to get killed, he'd still talk about hope and similar bs. For me his stupidty and lack of character development ruined othervise fairly good show.
Jun 11, 2016 3:28 AM

Sep 2012
He's terrible. It's like they made the show for kids originally, yet decided to scrap it all and go for a way darker tone yet kept the same main character lol.
CabbagePantsJul 13, 2017 2:37 AM
Aug 4, 2017 10:07 PM
Jun 2014
NeutroNShivA said:
Like, seriously, Im doing my best to somehow relate to this unrealistic kid, but just cant. He is absurd. Even if he was about to get killed, he'd still talk about hope and similar bs. For me his stupidty and lack of character development ruined othervise fairly good show.

Well, not all characters are suppose to be relatable, i dont see a problem.
Aug 30, 2017 3:02 PM

Aug 2012
I think he is alittle too idealistic for sure and it did frustrate at times but it also brought up debate through the show. It catered to both sides of an argument and neither side has it all their own way, even by the end of the show. So though I did find this idealism from Shu alittle frustrating the same can be said of the naivety of other characters also, especially Nabuca.

As I say I think this is one of the major parts of the shows story and is intentional even if it could have been toned down abit. At least if the show is having an affect on you I think it's fair to say the show is doing something right.

In fact the characters that frustrated me the most were Abelia and Hamdo. Hamdo because he's very 1 dimensional and Abelia because we never learn why she is so committed.
BlaizeVAug 30, 2017 3:05 PM
Nov 10, 2017 5:18 PM

Aug 2016
This is like Isekai before it was cool. Shu is still a better MC than Kirito.
There is a deepness in the sky. So high, so low, so many things to know.
Nov 18, 2017 5:04 AM
Jul 2013
Because he's supposed to contrast with the dark world. That contrast serves to underscore the dark characters and communicate the message the anime wants to make about human depravity. The human brain naturally adapts to the status quo. By placing a standard of pure good in the show, the viewer is constantly reminded of what real good looks like, so that every time we see the evil, it hits us full force. We never adapt to the evil so that its effect softens.

Aside from preserving the impact of the characters, it helps communicate the message as well. By introducing a character who clashes with cynical despair in every way, we as viewers are forced to reconcile Shiro's unwavering optimism vs the hopelessness of the crew. A contrast forces you to repeatedly pause and evaluate each side -- in doing so, you're forced to confront and process details that normally you'd have taken for granted.

It's like putting a white chair in a room painted all in black. Even though we already knew the room was dark before, the white chair gives us perspective on just how dark it truly is, and reminds us how it could look otherwise.
Nov 18, 2017 5:37 AM
Jul 2013
For the person complaining about Hamdo, complex characters aren't inherently better. The viewer only has attention for so many variables at one time. In a 13-episode anime, it's perfectly acceptable to focus on one message, and the best way to convey it is to orient the rest of the anime in support of that message.

Hamdo already sufficiently accomplishes this. Adding layers to his character doesn't make the message any stronger. At worst, it distracts from it by devoting narrative real estate to developing his character. Alternatively, it diverts the viewer's attention span to the unrelated puzzle of how Hamdo's complex character fits into such an environment of depravity -- which isn't a consideration the anime is trying to provoke. It wants to saturate the viewer in a single message on the depravity of human nature to leave the strongest impact possible when the viewer finishes. Which it ended up doing very successfully, judging by most people's reactions, and probably precisely because it focused all the elements in the anime to that specific end.

What a narrow goal does mean is that people who aren't receptive to what the anime is trying to depict have nothing else to latch onto. But, if the anime is looking to deliver one thing as hard as possible, then that's not a flaw.

If you choose to believe complex characters are inherently always better, then that will manifest flaws that aren't there, and you'll probably sour the experience on your own as a result.

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.