Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2016 6:31 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
No Longer Human

No Longer Human is an adaptation of a novel by Osamu Dazai. Ostensibly a fictionalized version of the author’s own life, it is a tale of woe. Our main character Ooba Youzou starts out well enough in high school. But he has already left home for the city because he found his family stifling. But even at school he feel he must fake it so he can fit in with the rest of society. He meets a friend in some art classes he takes, and they start down a hedonistic path. Which leads Ooba to ruin. Soon, he is cut off from his family, and his source of money. To get by he relies on various women to help him out. After a long spiral downwards, things start to look up. They might be great even, when something so terrible happens that everything goes to ruin.

This version by Usamaru Furuya (Genkaku Picasso, Litchi☆Hikari Club) is a modern update to the tale taking it into the modern day. He keeps to a more traditional art style but great moments of his knowledge of art come out to help expand the story and atmosphere.

Despite the depressing nature of this story, I found myself glued to it and powered through all three volumes in a short period of time. My only regret was not having read them sooner.

Buy: Here

This was reader's choice. You guys helped pick this one. Make a suggestion for July's Hidden Gem here.
BrandJul 1, 2016 8:45 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 1, 2016 1:03 PM

Jul 2010
I've been meaning to read the novel (if there are english translations floating around somewhere), maybe I'll check this out afterward to see how it compares. It's also worth noting there is an anime adaption of this in the Aoi Bungaku series.

Just at a glance this gives me a feeling similar to the manga Kokou no Hito I read years ago but have yet to finish, which is also very dark, gripping, and realistic. Although I have a feeling it ends on a more uplifting note than this one haha. Maybe it could be featured for July?
Jun 1, 2016 1:12 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
There is an English translated version of the novel, I can't comment on it myself as I haven't read it. I can add it to my huge book pile of stuff to read though. >__>

I have Aoi Bungaku on my plan to watch list for a while. Hopefully, I will get around to it sometime soon.

I've also been meaning to read The Climber for a while so that would be exciting for next month. Maybe it will be the winner.
Jun 1, 2016 2:00 PM

Mar 2010
Seems interesting, might be worth a read, I usually don't like short mangas, but I have nothing to read so, thanks for sharing.
Currently watching everything that comes out to avoid missing something good...

Jun 1, 2016 4:29 PM

Apr 2013
Is it different than the animated version in any way? From where I'm sitting it seems like it goes a bit more in depth.
Jun 1, 2016 10:32 PM

Jun 2010
Sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the share, will read this someday soon. :)
Jun 2, 2016 1:16 AM

Jul 2014
Ah, I know this one, I found it while I was looking into the manga adaptations of classic books, when I worked on a post about Tsumi to Batsu.
I really wanted to read this, well, at least to try to read this, since I was not sure I could get through such a painful story, but it's really expensive currently to ship books from abroad.

I think there're three manga adaptations, but this one sure looks like the best one.
deadoptimistJun 2, 2016 11:37 AM
Jun 2, 2016 11:04 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Yeah, unfortunately these books look to be out of print. I had picked up all 3 volumes from Vertical at a con and they sat on my self until last year when I read them for the manga challenge. I ended up regretting not reading them sooner. It isn't an easy read but certainly one that was fulfilling.
Jun 4, 2016 12:16 AM

Mar 2013
I have all three volumes as well and I would definitely recommend picking them up.

I have the English translation of the novel but haven't gotten around to reading it yet as my novel backlog is huge right now.
Bring back down votes on reviews
Jun 7, 2016 3:56 AM

Jun 2012
I read the novel a few years ago and thoroughly recommend it, though I recognize it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea. Still, it's really worth it. I already knew there was a manga, but since I have to buy it to be able to read it, it's still on my TBR list.

By the way, here are some quotes from the novel, in case anyone's interested:
Jun 23, 2016 2:39 PM
Jul 2011
Are there any other adaptation of Osamu Dazai's novels?
Jun 23, 2016 4:08 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
akaryn said:

Dazai in the DB

There are two more manga also based on No Longer Human. I checked Manga Updates there are a few more, Dazai Osamu Humor Kessakusen, Tsugaru, Wife of Villon.

In terms of anime there are a few the most well known is the Aoi Bungaku Series from '09. I've been meaning to watch it. I've been told it is very good. It adapts No Longer Human and Run, Melos!
Jun 26, 2016 12:38 PM

Aug 2009
I would definitely recommend Aoi Bungaku; it's sort of an anime anthology of literary classics. Of course, since it covers six different works, it's of varying quality, but overall, it's rather strong. It's been 6 years since I watched it, so my memory may be a bit hazy, but I think my favourite parts were No Longer Human and Kokoro.

On the other hand, avoid this fugly thing.
metamorphiusJun 26, 2016 12:44 PM
Jun 28, 2016 6:03 PM
Jul 2011
Brand said:
akaryn said:

Dazai in the DB

There are two more manga also based on No Longer Human. I checked Manga Updates there are a few more, Dazai Osamu Humor Kessakusen, Tsugaru, Wife of Villon.

In terms of anime there are a few the most well known is the Aoi Bungaku Series from '09. I've been meaning to watch it. I've been told it is very good. It adapts No Longer Human and Run, Melos!

Thanks!
Jun 29, 2016 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
I watched Aoi Bungaku. The stories were excellent. The first story, No Longer Human, lasts 4 episodes. Those episodes in particular were difficult for me to watch but the other episodes were enjoyable and interesting.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - May 2024

Brand - Apr 21

0 by Brand »»
Apr 21, 4:32 PM

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of the Month! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

181 by Mr_Libra »»
Apr 8, 10:06 AM

» April 2024 - Believers

Brand - Apr 3

0 by Brand »»
Apr 3, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - April 2024

Brand - Mar 17

0 by Brand »»
Mar 17, 7:24 AM

» March 2024 - Isabella Bird in Wonderland: Unbeaten Tracks in Japan

Brand - Mar 2

0 by Brand »»
Mar 2, 2:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.