Forum Settings
Forums

"Non-judgmental is cancer" -- how tolerance corrupts societies.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 1, 2016 1:29 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:
Shaheen- said:

Pedophilia cannot be changed either. A born psychopath cannot be changed either. It is not on the basis of 'change' that we decide sanctions.

Alright.

What if I take the position of supporting gender roles? Isn't that inequality? But my arguments make sense. What then?

That's not tolerance; that's sensibility. Tolerance applies within and to a society. If USA plans to nuke Middle East, we don't call it being intolerant, we'll call it either going apeshit or just being stupid.

> Comparing homosexuals to pedophilic serial killers
A psychopath is someone who hurts others through their self serving actions which can go all the way up to murder or torture. A pedophile if they act on it with a small child would also have to be a sociopath because they would be taking advantage of them. A pedophile who does not act on their actions is of no harm to anyone. Homosexuals can make their own decisions on what they do with eachother so there is no excuse to try to stop them because it has no effect on you.

It's one thing to want to be in a certain role for yourself or wanting a partner in a certain role which both are fine if that is what they too want but it is something else to hate on someone for not fitting in those roles. It's placing unnecessary expectations on others and not letting them be themselves.

I was just exaggerating to make it an extreme case scenario. for the point to be clear. You have displayed double standards when it comes to tolerance. You want people to tolerate Muslims and Islam but not homosexuals or whatever else it may be.

First: Find the 'pedophilic serial killer' in my post and you get an imaginary candy.

Second: The comparison is, by all laws of logic, correct.

Your argument for buttressing homosexuality was: They are naturally like this; it's intolerant to ban them.
Now if you're shifting your argument to 'They don't hurt anyone' then that's an even worse argument.

it is something else to hate on someone for not fitting in those roles. It's placing unnecessary expectations on others and not letting them be themselves.

I bring up the case: You're not letting a pedophile be himself; you're imposing on him roles that you deem correct for yourself.

You want people to tolerate Muslims and Islam but not homosexuals or whatever else it may be.

I said this to Spooks and I'll say this to you: Find one sentence that calls for people to 'tolerate Islam or Muslim' and I'll forever be your slave.

I only talked about the sense of demonizing Islam. That's quite another matter from 'tolerating'.
Jun 1, 2016 1:33 AM

May 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Minnim said:
Excessive tolerance is detrimental to society, but a controlled measure of tolerance isn’t necessarily bad because it does actually stifle violent behavior and hateful words.

But when tolerance becomes a term to keep people quiet about dysfunctional members and ideas of society, then it becomes cancer.

When tolerance becomes a means to keep people quiet, it is no longer tolerance.

I would agree, but like I mean it's much easier to be specific. Idk how far are we going. I guess since it's talking about "Power" it's like tolerating the government? Tolerating anime taste? Tolerating intolerance? Tolerating annoying people in grocery stores? It's ambiguous.

This exact post could be made in the anime discussion section and I'd be like "yes I think anime criticisms should be judged equally", but it's general discussion I have no idea what we are talking about.

I think ideas should be challenged and given their fair judgement by "the inferior power", in a general sense, sure. But there is a pretty big difference even with tolerating words, ideas-putting planned action to words, and tolerating action.

Here's the confusing part, who's censoring us? lol. We're just talking about tolerance in a general sense here?

edit:
Shaheen- said:

Pedophilia cannot be changed either. A born psychopath cannot be changed either. It is not on the basis of 'change' that we decide sanctions.

Alright.

What if I take the position of supporting gender roles? Isn't that inequality? But my arguments make sense. What then?

That's not tolerance; that's sensibility. Tolerance applies within and to a society. If USA plans to nuke Middle East, we don't call it being intolerant, we'll call it either going apeshit or just being stupid.

From kids in candy stores( in which I brought up) to gay people to pedophiles to psychopaths in one day, from a thread about tolerance. Expected conclusion, but MAL can never be direct. Are you the same person who compared pedophilia and psychopathy to gay people like two weeks ago?

Two of these things like, actually harm people?
ashfrliebertJun 1, 2016 3:57 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 1, 2016 2:27 AM

Mar 2008
Shaheen- said:
First: Find the 'pedophilic serial killer' in my post and you get an imaginary candy.

I was combining your examples into a single example to emphasize the absurdity.

Second: The comparison is, by all laws of logic, correct.

Not in every factor.

Your argument for buttressing homosexuality was: They are naturally like this; it's intolerant to ban them.
Now if you're shifting your argument to 'They don't hurt anyone' then that's an even worse argument.

It can be both you know. It's not either or. There is more than one factor, I named one. I never claimed that was all there is to it. People who use your argument are a dime a dozen so it is very tiring in it's tediousness to address these sort of points because thy are so tired and discredited.

I bring up the case: You're not letting a pedophile be himself; you're imposing on him roles that you deem correct for yourself.

It's called liberty. Liberty is to limit some freedoms to help others keep their freedoms, rights and well being from being taken by things done to them which they did not want or were incapable of deciding for. The situation is not the same with homosexuals, with homosexuals you would be taking away their freedom when their freedom does not take away yours.

I said this to Spooks and I'll say this to you: Find one sentence that calls for people to 'tolerate Islam or Muslim' and I'll forever be your slave.

I only talked about the sense of demonizing Islam. That's quite another matter from 'tolerating'.

There is no solid clear line between intolerance and demonizing.
Jun 1, 2016 9:14 AM

Nov 2015
ashfrliebert said:

From kids in candy stores to gay people to pedophiles to psychopaths in one day, from a thread about tolerance. Expected conclusion, but MAL can never be direct. Are you the same person who compared pedophilia and psychopathy to gay people like two weeks ago?

'Harm principle' is the conclusion; I'm targeting the premises.
traed said:

I was combining your examples into a single example to emphasize the absurdity.

The absurdity of an argument consists in its logical validity, not how it sounds to you.

Not in every factor.

Which factors?

It can be both you know. It's not either or. There is more than one factor, I named one. I never claimed that was all there is to it. People who use your argument are a dime a dozen so it is very tiring in it's tediousness to address these sort of points because thy are so tired and discredited.

Yes, they can be both. But even together they don't eliminate the logical errors.
Here, let me dissect:
Homosexuals are born like this.
So are pedophiles.
They aren't harming anyone
Will you support homosexual incest with the same argument? or consider the case of a pedophile who acquired a 10 years old partner but very intelligent (i.e the partner can give his consent), how would you go about this?

It's called liberty. Liberty is to limit some freedoms to help others keep their freedoms, rights and well being from being taken by things done to them which they did not want or were incapable of deciding for. The situation is not the same with homosexuals, with homosexuals you would be taking away their freedom when their freedom does not take away yours.

Hopefully, the part in bold is the crux of your argument. Considering that argument to be the basis of your deciding whom should be allowed freedom, my question is, 'How would you expect a stable society with that sort of morality?'. Because then the purpose of morality gets lost. Stability disappears. Homosexuality is a violation of the family system; and as the Confucian adage goes, 'The stability of family is the stability of the State'. With sexual freedom, no one is bound to keep a family anymore.

All of that considered, it brings into question the argument in context of deciding morality/legislation.

There is no solid clear line between intolerance and demonizing.

There is. Demonizing is a propaganda which may or may not be a result of intolerance. Intolerance then is the subset of demonizing.

To further fortify my case here, I even propounded that the West, through propaganda, should make Western education common in Muslim countries so as to eliminate both the Muslim problem and the religious fervor among them. That can only sound like a plea for tolerance if you already have a contrived mindset which prevents you from seeing what's actually there.
Jun 1, 2016 9:51 AM

Dec 2009
Me not giving a fuck is a form of tolerance
I don't give a fuck about gays sure they can marry, divorce, adapt children just don't get me involved in any way and don't bother me
Same for transgenders
Same for straight people too
Jun 1, 2016 11:20 AM

Mar 2008
Shaheen- said:
The absurdity of an argument consists in its logical validity, not how it sounds to you.

You are back tracking

Which factors?
The ones I said already you're just backtracking more.

IYes, they can be both. But even together they don't eliminate the logical errors.
Here, let me dissect:
So are pedophiles.
Will you support homosexual incest with the same argument? or consider the case of a pedophile who acquired a 10 years old partner but very intelligent (i.e the partner can give his consent), how would you go about this?

Homosexual incest: Sure.

In that other example you have holes to it that separate it from homosexuality. First you have to lay out at what point are they intelligent enough and what kind of knowledge and understanding is needed. You also have to prove if their body can handle it without major damage. You also have to factor in the pedos intent whether it is good or not. You can't just assume things.
With homosexuals these sort of things are already known and aren't rally worse than heterosexuals.

Hopefully, the part in bold is the crux of your argument. Considering that argument to be the basis of your deciding whom should be allowed freedom, my question is, 'How would you expect a stable society with that sort of morality?'. Because then the purpose of morality gets lost. Stability disappears. Homosexuality is a violation of the family system; and as the Confucian adage goes, 'The stability of family is the stability of the State'. With sexual freedom, no one is bound to keep a family anymore.

All of that considered, it brings into question the argument in context of deciding morality/legislation.

You're assuming there is only one type of family that is valid and provide no proof or evidence of homosexuality destroying it. Also the proof is all the successful countries that have homosexual rights and dont go around executing them

There is. Demonizing is a propaganda which may or may not be a result of intolerance. Intolerance then is the subset of demonizing.

To further fortify my case here, I even propounded that the West, through propaganda, should make Western education common in Muslim countries so as to eliminate both the Muslim problem and the religious fervor among them. That can only sound like a plea for tolerance if you already have a contrived mindset which prevents you from seeing what's actually there.

You're missing the point and twisting the meaning of words to fit your narrative.
Jun 1, 2016 1:15 PM
Feb 2014
Watch Shinsekai Yori if you have not yet.

The tolerant people in that show are responsible for the rebellion of the rats and Squealer's demise.

No seriously, if you so claim to like that, claim to be oh so tolerant, then try watching it again.
Jun 1, 2016 4:03 PM
Jul 2015
"Because a writer said it years ago it is completely true"

As long as you not tolerate things systemically, it is fine being tolerant. What Goethe means with "tolerance" is the absence of criticism, but criticism and the common meaning of tolerance are not incopatible. You can understand that someone stoled some food to feed his child and at the same time consider that he did something wrong.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/tolerance

Here you have before someone starts to complain.

But if you meant complete tolerance towards everything, yes, it is as bad as the most complete intolerance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just read this and I can belive what I'm reading... If you don't mind me joining the discussion.
IYes, they can be both. But even together they don't eliminate the logical errors.
Here, let me dissect:
So are pedophiles.

Homosexual incest: Sure.

In that other example you have holes to it that separate it from homosexuality. First you have to lay out at what point are they intelligent enough and what kind of knowledge and understanding is needed. You also have to prove if their body can handle it without major damage. You also have to factor in the pedos intent whether it is good or not. You can't just assume things.
With homosexuals these sort of things are already known and aren't rally worse than heterosexuals.
Society decided that homosexuality is not harmful and that it is as acceptable as heterosexuality. Society decided pedophilia is harmful and that children need protection against sexual harassment. As simple as that. It is acceptable once most of the people think like that. After that, came the laws that permit it of ban it.

You're assuming there is only one type of family that is valid and provide no proof or evidence of homosexuality destroying it. Also the proof is all the successful countries that have homosexual rights and dont go around executing them .
Sadly, this guy has part of truth. In the past homosexuality was a problem. But now, we can solve natality problems if everyone suddenly turns homosexual. And with the great amount of population we have now compared with then, it is unlikely to happen. Concepts like family evolve with time.

You're missing the point and twisting the meaning of words to fit your narrative.
I will ignore this, right?
roquepoJun 1, 2016 4:48 PM

Jun 1, 2016 4:22 PM

May 2015
The_Nico said:
Watch Shinsekai Yori if you have not yet.

The tolerant people in that show are responsible for the rebellion of the rats and Squealer's demise.

No seriously, if you so claim to like that, claim to be oh so tolerant, then try watching it again.

Oh no, I certainty wouldn't call myself "tolerant". That is to say, I'm surely tolerant on things I agree with and I tolerate things I don't think are harmful. But I'm not tolerant on *everything*.

What annoys me is that tolerance in a general sense is not what this is about, and I'm disappointed that the subject of tolerance was brought up to subtlety discuss gay rights when I was all in the mojo of presenting my stance on annoying children in grocery stores.

Edit: Even more specifically, I actually thought this was going to be applied to anime lol. Like, tolerance towards other people's anime opinions or something, and an argument against "it's just my opinion!" or something when presented in the context of forums and discussion. Instead of gay people. But I didn't look at the section clearly, apparently.
Shaheen- said:

'Harm principle' is the conclusion; I'm targeting the premises

I mean, I still don't see how it harms anyone. I have no idea what "the premises" are suppose to be, but seems irrelevant.

So are pedophiles.
Will you support homosexual incest with the same argument?

On Gay Incest: I mean, if it's safe(assuming it's between two brothers or cousins or something), I personally wouldn't do it I mean..I'm straight, and I'm not down with my relatives like that, but okay. Sure. But I'm pretty sure it's illegal because straight incest isn't safe for the offspring. So...fairness I guess? Hey I'm not going to argue for/against gay incest, but it's an interesting topic if you wanna discuss. For the case of this thread, I'll argue for it. I don't mind.

On Pedophiles: If they act out their tendencies they should go to jail, because children can't consent, and pedophilia is harmful. They are harming people, that is the whole point.

or consider the case of a pedophile who acquired a 10 years old partner but very intelligent (i.e the partner can give his consent),

If you think "intelligent 10 years old" can give consent, I question your intelligence. Doesn't matter if they win five straight on game contest, they can't give consent in a legal context. It's legally impossible.

Hopefully, the part in bold is the crux of your argument. Considering that argument to be the basis of your deciding whom should be allowed freedom, my question is, 'How would you expect a stable society with that sort of morality?'. Because then the purpose of morality gets lost. Stability disappears. With sexual freedom, no one is bound to keep a family anymore.

Instead of arguing against this(are we saying straight people are gonna go instinct or something?), or calling it a bizzare overreaction, I'd say instead say that's fine by me!
ashfrliebertJun 1, 2016 5:00 PM
Jun 2, 2016 12:06 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:
First you have to lay out at what point are they intelligent enough and what kind of knowledge and understanding is needed. You also have to prove if their body can handle it without major damage. You also have to factor in the pedos intent whether it is good or not. You can't just assume things.

A 10 year old's body can handle intercourse without major damage; unless we're talking BDSM, in which case even adults are damaged.

Intelligence -- do an IQ test.
Understanding -- Mental Status Examination.

You're assuming there is only one type of family that is valid and provide no proof or evidence of homosexuality destroying it. Also the proof is all the successful countries that have homosexual rights and dont go around executing them

Proof this, proof that.

You guys go around throwing the word 'proof' as if you actually know what it means. It's simple reasoning: Sexual freedom doesn't restrict your sexual rights therefore you are naturally compelled to seek more sex and less family.

And yes, there's only one type of family which we do not consider 'abnormal'.

It's laughable how you can still consider the West 'successful'.

lmfao

ashfrliebert said:

If you think "intelligent 10 years old" can give consent, I question your intelligence. Doesn't matter if they win five straight on game contest, they can't give consent in a legal context. It's legally impossible.

lol, it's legally impossible. You said so yourself. We decide legislation; if one day we decide that children can give consent then they can give consent.

Why don't you see the ironies in your own reasoning?
Jun 2, 2016 4:36 AM

Nov 2011
Right, fuck that whole "smart 10-year-old" example.

A child of that age might be physically capable of having sex, yes. A situation in which they also seem like they understand the situation and voice their consent seems unlikely, but let's assume that that's the case. They still wouldn't be allowed to have sex.

Why?

Because no matter how "intelligent" the child is, they're still a child. Their brains haven't developed to the point where they would understand the consequences of their actions or really even know what they themselves want. They aren't psychologically mature enough because of their physiology, and that's a hard barrier to argue against.

It's similar to why people with Alzheimer's or similar cognitive impairments can't give consent either, and it's also why children around certain age can't (or at the very least shouldn't) be held criminally responsible.

If the legislation ever changes to go against all this, then yes, it'd be idiotic. But it's not just some arbitrary ruling that you seem to claim it to be.

It's a stupid example.
Jun 2, 2016 11:38 AM

Nov 2015
Kousoku11 said:
Right, fuck that whole "smart 10-year-old" example.

A child of that age might be physically capable of having sex, yes. A situation in which they also seem like they understand the situation and voice their consent seems unlikely, but let's assume that that's the case. They still wouldn't be allowed to have sex.

Why?

Because no matter how "intelligent" the child is, they're still a child. Their brains haven't developed to the point where they would understand the consequences of their actions or really even know what they themselves want. They aren't psychologically mature enough because of their physiology, and that's a hard barrier to argue against.

It's similar to why people with Alzheimer's or similar cognitive impairments can't give consent either, and it's also why children around certain age can't (or at the very least shouldn't) be held criminally responsible.

If the legislation ever changes to go against all this, then yes, it'd be idiotic. But it's not just some arbitrary ruling that you seem to claim it to be.

It's a stupid example.

Forgot to answer your post. So here I am: An intelligent 10 year old has just as much idea of the consequences of his actions as an adult (intelligent or otherwise) does; and that idea we term 'vague'. If adults knew the consequences of their actions, you would not have bad marriages or failed relationships.
Jun 2, 2016 1:03 PM

Mar 2008
Shaheen- said:
A 10 year old's body can handle intercourse without major damage; unless we're talking BDSM, in which case even adults are damaged.

Spoken from experience?

Intelligence -- do an IQ test.
Understanding -- Mental Status Examination.

It would be difficult to figure out what criteria is needed for understanding. Not saying it cant be done though.

I find it comical you are trying to lump pedophilia with homosexuality when you live in a country you can legally marry a 7 year old girl but you draw the line at homosexuals.

You guys go around throwing the word 'proof' as if you actually know what it means. It's simple reasoning: Sexual freedom doesn't restrict your sexual rights therefore you are naturally compelled to seek more sex and less family.

You can make close friends your family or adopt children or have extended family as part of a family or have entire villages function as a family. You have a very narrow view of what a family is.

And yes, there's only one type of family which we do not consider 'abnormal'.

"We" as in polygamist Muslims. Fucking lawl Your self awareness is dreadful.

It's laughable how you can still consider the West 'successful'.

First world countries with human rights and freedom of speech vs third world countries where you get sentenced to canings or death for speaking your mind or how you live your life without harming others...

.. hmm tough choice *sarcasm*
Jun 2, 2016 1:32 PM

Nov 2011
Shaheen- said:
An intelligent 10 year old has just as much idea of the consequences of his actions as an adult (intelligent or otherwise) does; and that idea we term 'vague'. If adults knew the consequences of their actions, you would not have bad marriages or failed relationships.
You're confusing being able to assess consequences and being capable to assess consequences.

Adults can do irresponsible/stupid things, true. However, they are old enough to have developed the capacity to assess their situations, and because of this don't end up fucking up literally every part of their lives. If they don't utilize that capacity, then that's on them

Some children may possess cognitive functions that can rival an adult's, true. However, that does not mean that they possess the capacity to function like an adult would. They lack social and emotional maturity. They might never fully develop these two qualities, as can be evident from certain adults, but those qualities usually start to manifest somewhere in adolescence (13-17 ish) since that's when their brains start to reach their maturity (most notably their prefrontal cortex). As such, children below those ages should not even be considered to possess those qualities.

It's not remotely as vague as you make it sound to be.
Jun 2, 2016 2:50 PM

May 2015
ashfrliebert said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

When tolerance becomes a means to keep people quiet, it is no longer tolerance.

I would agree, but like I mean it's much easier to be specific. Idk how far are we going. I guess since it's talking about "Power" it's like tolerating the government? Tolerating anime taste? Tolerating intolerance? Tolerating annoying people in grocery stores? It's ambiguous.

This exact post could be made in the anime discussion section and I'd be like "yes I think anime criticisms should be judged equally", but it's general discussion I have no idea what we are talking about.

I think ideas should be challenged and given their fair judgement by "the inferior power", in a general sense, sure. But there is a pretty big difference even with tolerating words, ideas-putting planned action to words, and tolerating action.

Here's the confusing part, who's censoring us? lol. We're just talking about tolerance in a general sense here?

edit:
Shaheen- said:

Alright.

From kids in candy stores( in which I brought up) to gay people to pedophiles to psychopaths in one day, from a thread about tolerance. Expected conclusion, but MAL can never be direct. Are you the same person who compared pedophilia and psychopathy to gay people like two weeks ago?

Here's how you do it:

I wouldn't beat up someone for thinking Black people should go back to slavery, or that Jews should be fried and served well-done. I would constantly question them and challenge their arguments. If they get hurt over me not liking their racism/antisemetism, too bad.

That's why I can criticize Islam all day and still be against violence against Muslims.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 2, 2016 5:58 PM

May 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

Here's how you do it:

I wouldn't beat up someone for thinking Black people should go back to slavery, or that Jews should be fried and served well-done. I would constantly question them and challenge their arguments. If they get hurt over me not liking their racism/antisemetism, too bad.

That's why I can criticize Islam all day and still be against violence against Muslims.

They aren't going to get arrested for being racist they'll get arrested for racial discrimination, acting it out, basically. Okay. You wouldn't beat up racist people, probably a good idea.

Shaheen said:

I'm not mixing it up; the society is. Tell me, can I even argue against homosexuality, transgender-ism, feminism and the likes without being called a homophobe, misogynist and transphobe or whatnot?

Shaheen said:

I brought up the most controversial of matters: Homosexuality.
Give me a good argument why it should be allowed. For the moment alone, it might help you formulate a better argument if you forget that I'm officially a homophobe and a Muslim (unlike FontSize72LOL).

This isn't beating up people. This isn't even a face to face conversation on racism or something. This is challenging arguments on the internet and labeling people what they, admittedly, are. Much lower scale and much different.

Also though, pretty sure you can get arrested for inciting violence. Just to note.

ashfrliebertJun 2, 2016 6:04 PM
Jun 2, 2016 7:07 PM
May 2015
I don't tolerate you, OP.
And yes I'm triggered.
Jun 2, 2016 9:35 PM

Nov 2015
Kousoku11 said:
Shaheen- said:
An intelligent 10 year old has just as much idea of the consequences of his actions as an adult (intelligent or otherwise) does; and that idea we term 'vague'. If adults knew the consequences of their actions, you would not have bad marriages or failed relationships.
You're confusing being able to assess consequences and being capable to assess consequences.

Adults can do irresponsible/stupid things, true. However, they are old enough to have developed the capacity to assess their situations, and because of this don't end up fucking up literally every part of their lives. If they don't utilize that capacity, then that's on them

Some children may possess cognitive functions that can rival an adult's, true. However, that does not mean that they possess the capacity to function like an adult would. They lack social and emotional maturity. They might never fully develop these two qualities, as can be evident from certain adults, but those qualities usually start to manifest somewhere in adolescence (13-17 ish) since that's when their brains start to reach their maturity (most notably their prefrontal cortex). As such, children below those ages should not even be considered to possess those qualities.

It's not remotely as vague as you make it sound to be.

Capability and ability are synonyms unless you mean something like ability being individual-based and capability legislation-based, in which case it won't be an argument.

There's the paradox: If the kid has enough 'maturity' to realize the consequence of his one action then he would definitely have the maturity to understand the consequences of the consequences of his actions -- and that exactly is how adults operate too.

Regardless, what dire consequences are we talking about? A child at the age of 10 himself consents to have a sexual relationship with an adult (therefore, no trauma involved). Yes, there could be blackmailing but since we've established the kid to be on the same level as an adult, it becomes ineffective as an argument. If he himself is consenting, and the pedophile (his partner) is seen as a good-natured adult (which of course he wouldn't be seen as -- because pedophilia is immoral) then it's just another normal relationship. It only looks bad due to the stigma.

traed said:

It would be difficult to figure out what criteria is needed for understanding. Not saying it cant be done though.

I find it comical you are trying to lump pedophilia with homosexuality when you live in a country you can legally marry a 7 year old girl but you draw the line at homosexuals.

Same could be said about adults.

I find it comical how you take pleasure in psychologically disturbing stances that don't even make sense. At least, our law of allowing marriage at 7 does not leave any slippery slopes. Contrast the statement 'Only heterosexual marriages allowed' to 'Two consenting adults can do whatever they want' and dissect them logically -- which you obviously cannot but please try to.

You can make close friends your family or adopt children or have extended family as part of a family or have entire villages function as a family. You have a very narrow view of what a family is.

All those familial construct have a nuclear family, or at least the structure of it, at heart. You have a flawed view of everything you say let alone what others say.

First world countries with human rights and freedom of speech vs third world countries where you get sentenced to canings or death for speaking your mind or how you live your life without harming others...

.. hmm tough choice *sarcasm*

So many things one can be yet you choose to be salty. Oh well...
Jun 3, 2016 6:43 AM

May 2015
ashfrliebert said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Here's how you do it:

They aren't going to get arrested for being racist they'll get arrested for racial discrimination, acting it out, basically. Okay. You wouldn't beat up racist people, probably a good idea.

Shaheen said:

I'm not mixing it up; the society is. Tell me, can I even argue against homosexuality, transgender-ism, feminism and the likes without being called a homophobe, misogynist and transphobe or whatnot?

Shaheen said:

I brought up the most controversial of matters: Homosexuality.
Give me a good argument why it should be allowed. For the moment alone, it might help you formulate a better argument if you forget that I'm officially a homophobe and a Muslim (unlike FontSize72LOL).

This isn't beating up people. This isn't even a face to face conversation on racism or something. This is challenging arguments on the internet and labeling people what they, admittedly, are. Much lower scale and much different.

Also though, pretty sure you can get arrested for inciting violence. Just to note.

Acting out on racism is an action and actions directly harm people. That's why we should arrest them.

A person merely thinking back people are horrible isn't directly affecting anyone.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 3, 2016 9:40 AM

Jan 2016
Both judgement and tolerance has their own downside.
"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." - Unknown
Jun 3, 2016 11:13 AM

Mar 2008
Shaheen- said:
Same could be said about adults.

I never suggested it can't.

I find it comical how you take pleasure in psychologically disturbing stances that don't even make sense. At least, our law of allowing marriage at 7 does not leave any slippery slopes. Contrast the statement 'Only heterosexual marriages allowed' to 'Two consenting adults can do whatever they want' and dissect them logically -- which you obviously cannot but please try to.

You think letting people do something that effects no one but themselves when they are perfectly capable of making decisions is a psychologically disturbing stance?

A slippery slope is just a fallacy unless it actually happens or if it has scientifically proven outcomes. Also a slippery slope implies things get worse. So are you saying homosexuality is worse than selling off little girls like property between families?

All those familial construct have a nuclear family, or at least the structure of it, at heart. You have a flawed view of everything you say let alone what others say.

No it doesn't.
"A nuclear family or elementary family is a family group consisting of a pair of adults and their children. It is in contrast to a single-parent family, to the larger extended family, and to a family with more than two parents."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_family
A gay couple with adopted or surrogate born children is more nuclear than polygamy.
Jun 3, 2016 11:43 AM

Nov 2015
@traed

I never suggested it can't.

Then your argument fails.

You think letting people do something that effects no one but themselves when they are perfectly capable of making decisions is a psychologically disturbing stance?

A slippery slope is just a fallacy unless it actually happens or if it has scientifically proven outcomes. Also a slippery slope implies things get worse. So are you saying homosexuality is worse than selling off little girls like property between families?

Except you have no way to prove how familial matters do not effect more than the two people involved in there. I'm using the word 'prove' in its correct meaning (not scientific - the word 'proof' comes from logic and is an integral part of Mathematics); what I expect you to do, is give me a rationale, a reasoning, for how it doesn't effect societies at large.

Also science never 'proves'; it only discovers.

>selling off little girls like property between families

At least hide your salt.

A gay couple with adopted or surrogate born children is more nuclear than polygamy.

Notice how you raped your own self there.

"It is in contrast to single parent family''.

Polygamy is as nuclear as a gay couple. Except that a polygamous family has more chances of providing a balanced growth to the kid than the homosexuals.
Jun 3, 2016 12:03 PM

Mar 2008
Shaheen- said:
Then your argument fails.

What argument do you think I had?

Except you have no way to prove how familial matters do not effect more than the two people involved in there. I'm using the word 'prove' in its correct meaning (not scientific - the word 'proof' comes from logic and is an integral part of Mathematics); what I expect you to do, is give me a rationale, a reasoning, for how it doesn't effect societies at large.

You were the one who said homosexuality is bad it's your job to prove it is. Which you still have not done.

Also science never 'proves'; it only discovers.

It proves or disproves theories.

>selling off little girls like property between families

At least hide your salt.

> avoiding answering the question

Notice how you raped your own self there.

"It is in contrast to single parent family''.

Polygamy is as nuclear as a gay couple. Except that a polygamous family has more chances of providing a balanced growth to the kid than the homosexuals.

Nope that contradicts reality.

"A large-scale study currently underway across Malaysia uncovers proof that polygamy harms everyone involved: from emotionally scarred children, to wives who think they’d be better off as single-parent households, and even husbands who admit 'I wouldn’t recommend it for my son; it’s quite stressful.' "
"Preliminary findings from the SIS research show that many children of first wives report a strong negative emotional impact. Most reported neglect from the father once he got a second wife and more so when he started having children from her. Especially where fathers had more than two wives or more than 10 children, daughters and sons often claim their father can hardly recognise them. When they went to ask for pocket money or school fees, their father would look at them clueless and say “Which mother are you from?”. This happened across the classes.

Polygamy also negatively affects the relationship between children and their mothers, with the former resenting the mother for being unable to make sure the father does not neglect them or for becoming depressed and also neglecting their emotional needs. Regardless of gender, they lack of confidence in their own ability to have stable relationships because they have only experienced a family life filled with traumatic quarrels and resentment. The children of second wives usually cope better because from birth they know their father has another family. But the children from the first family can see the comparison: the lack of time, lack of resources, their father’s absence when they needed him. Some of the children insisted SIS help them set up a support group to help them cope with feelings of isolation; at school they cannot relate their problems to anyone as they feel embarrassed about the situation.

The findings about the impact on children may offer an important opening for advocacy and change that can ultimately benefit women. Historically, changes to patriarchal interpretations of Muslim laws have often come in an effort to protect children’s rights. For instance, many Muslim countries now follow the principle of the best interests of the child when deciding custody, rather than rigidly applying traditionalist interpretations which deny mothers custody."
https://www.opendemocracy.net/5050/masjaliza-hamzah-norami-othman/stress-quarrels-and-neglect-normal-polygamous-family
Jun 3, 2016 12:20 PM

Nov 2015
@traed

Let me remind you: It would be difficult to figure out what criteria is needed for understanding. Not saying it cant be done though.

If that argument also applies to adults, then it's not an argument for kids specifically.

You were the one who said homosexuality is bad it's your job to prove it is. Which you still have not done.

75000 posts ago:
Homosexuality is a violation of the family system; and as the Confucian adage goes, 'The stability of family is the stability of the State'. With sexual freedom, no one is bound to keep a family anymore.

It proves or disproves theories.

Proving theories is an activity of 'discovering'. Technically, using the word 'prove' here is wrong; because you're basically brainstorming outcomes of an event, and then when you actually see the outcomes, you say, 'Eureka! one brainstormed outcome turned out to be true'. That's not 'proving'. That's finding.

> avoiding answering the question

There was no question. Just your salt. Selling little girls like properties is a part of no religion, no constitution, on this Earth. Basically, it's your imagination.

Nope that contradicts reality.

Alright. I'll give you that.
Jun 3, 2016 1:14 PM
Apr 2013
You're right, tolerance can be kind of arrogant and insulting. It's as if you're saying "I'm better than you but I'll put up with you because I'm such a nice person." It's much better to whole-heartedly accept someone, or openly disapprove of them if you like.
Jun 3, 2016 1:17 PM

Nov 2011
Shaheen- said:
Capability and ability are synonyms unless you mean something like ability being individual-based and capability legislation-based, in which case it won't be an argument.
The words have a certain degree of overlap, but the nuance that I was going after was this:

A person able to perform a certain activity is able to attempt it; whether or not they have the necessary skills to succeed is up in the air. In the context of consent, normal adults are considered able and adolescents below a certain age unable.

A person capable of performing a certain activity is able to attempt it and possesses the necessary skills to succeed, although they might not to regardless. In the context I used it in, adults who make bad decisions are capable.

There's the paradox: If the kid has enough 'maturity' to realize the consequence of his one action then he would definitely have the maturity to understand the consequences of the consequences of his actions -- and that exactly is how adults operate too.

Children have a terrible cognitive flexibility, and their understanding of how stuff works is full of holes because of it due to their incomplete brains. They have a hard cap on the whole "understanding the consequences of the consequences of the..." line of logic until they develop to the point where they can process enough concepts simultaneously to operate like an adult would (which happens during adolescence, usually in the later stages).

No paradox here, just your ignorance of psychology.

Regardless, what dire consequences are we talking about? A child at the age of 10 himself consents to have a sexual relationship with an adult (therefore, no trauma involved). Yes, there could be blackmailing but since we've established the kid to be on the same level as an adult, it becomes ineffective as an argument. If he himself is consenting, and the pedophile (his partner) is seen as a good-natured adult (which of course he wouldn't be seen as -- because pedophilia is immoral) then it's just another normal relationship. It only looks bad due to the stigma.
In the case of your imaginary snowflake of a child, there are no dire consequences. And why should there be: it's so removed from reality that using it as an argument for legislation being arbitrary is stupid, which is the point I'm trying to make here.

Probably should have been more clear about that.
Kousoku11Jun 3, 2016 1:20 PM
Jun 3, 2016 1:19 PM

Mar 2008
Shaheen- said:
@traed

Let me remind you: It would be difficult to figure out what criteria is needed for understanding. Not saying it cant be done though.

If that argument also applies to adults, then it's not an argument for kids specifically.

I never said it was an argument only for kids. If it applies to adults then it applies to heterosexuals as much as homosexuals so I don't know what you are trying to get at.

75000 posts ago:
Homosexuality is a violation of the family system; and as the Confucian adage goes, 'The stability of family is the stability of the State'. With sexual freedom, no one is bound to keep a family anymore.

You did not provide evidence for it though just the statement. The only fair comparison of homosexual and heterosexual families would be if it compares adopted children with other adopted children and children related to only one parent with other children of the same sort of situation. Of course though this argument only works for couples having children not the relationships themselves.

Proving theories is an activity of 'discovering'. Technically, using the word 'prove' here is wrong; because you're basically brainstorming outcomes of an event, and then when you actually see the outcomes, you say, 'Eureka! one brainstormed outcome turned out to be true'. That's not 'proving'. That's finding.

If it is technically wrong then it also technically right. It just depends how you interpret the words.

There was no question. Just your salt. Selling little girls like properties is a part of no religion, no constitution, on this Earth. Basically, it's your imagination.

The question was if you find homosexual relationships worse than pedophilic ones because what you said seemed to imply that.
Jun 3, 2016 1:34 PM
Feb 2014
Here's something you might want to read further about open-mindedness, read this just a few hours back, I think it's spot on: http://www.theness.com/index.php/the-problem-with-being-too-open-minded/
Jun 3, 2016 2:50 PM

May 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

Acting out on racism is an action and actions directly harm people. That's why we should arrest them.

A person merely thinking back people are horrible isn't directly affecting anyone.

I agree, should've clarified, the society name-calling Shaheen a...namecaller, shouldn't be a problem.
55Snakes said:
You're right, tolerance can be kind of arrogant and insulting. It's as if you're saying "I'm better than you but I'll put up with you because I'm such a nice person." It's much better to whole-heartedly accept someone, or openly disapprove of them if you like.

I don't see the problem with thinking you are superior to someone, as long as it's not based on race/gender. I think highly of myself. I think I'm better than a lot of people.

The_Nico said:
Here's something you might want to read further about open-mindedness, read this just a few hours back, I think it's spot on: http://www.theness.com/index.php/the-problem-with-being-too-open-minded/

If you notice, most of the discussion in this thread is pretty much just about gay people and pedos. And you know, people have their opinions on this.

You shouldn't believe everything you see, you should judge and be skeptical, no one denies that(in this thread). That doesn't matter. But the discussion is pretty much just about gay people and pedos, and this is a moral discussion. So, honestly, while obvious not wrong, I feel ultimately that's irrelevant to the matter at hand. To what this thread really is about.

The OP is just saying "you should judge and be skeptical about LGBT people!", the focus is really on the LGBT part and not the judgement part. If anything, while half is saying "you should judge in take a closer look", the other half is judging and taking a closer look.

And I think most people have made up their mind about this anyway, including the OP.

ashfrliebertJun 3, 2016 3:17 PM
Jun 4, 2016 12:10 AM

Nov 2015
Kousoku11 said:
The words have a certain degree of overlap, but the nuance that I was going after was this:

A person able to perform a certain activity is able to attempt it; whether or not they have the necessary skills to succeed is up in the air. In the context of consent, normal adults are considered able and adolescents below a certain age unable.

A person capable of performing a certain activity is able to attempt it and possesses the necessary skills to succeed, although they might not to regardless. In the context I used it in, adults who make bad decisions are capable.

If you don't have the requisite skills to succeed in a task, then you're not capable for it. What you mean by 'ability' is merely intention; though your definition of capability is correct.

Also, I think you meant 'adults who make bad decisions are able'. That's still incorrect because if you made the bad decision, we simply say: 'You weren't able to take a good decision'.

Children have a terrible cognitive flexibility, and their understanding of how stuff works is full of holes because of it due to their incomplete brains. They have a hard cap on the whole "understanding the consequences of the consequences of the..." line of logic until they develop to the point where they can process enough concepts simultaneously to operate like an adult would (which happens during adolescence, usually in the later stages).

No paradox here, just your ignorance of psychology.

I discarded all of that the moment I asserted intelligence. High intelligence is causally related to faster brain development. An intelligent 10 years old is more flexible in his approach than an unintelligent 20 years old.

In the case of your imaginary snowflake of a child, there are no dire consequences. And why should there be: it's so removed from reality that using it as an argument for legislation being arbitrary is stupid, which is the point I'm trying to make here.

Probably should have been more clear about that

You'll be surprised to find out that throughout history, people were married off at around age 12. And their chances of having a successful marriage were just as much as ours. This whole argument about 'children being inherently incapable' is bullshit.

@traed

I never said it was an argument only for kids. If it applies to adults then it applies to heterosexuals as much as homosexuals so I don't know what you are trying to get at.

And this particular discourse concerns only pedophiles.

You did not provide evidence for it though just the statement. The only fair comparison of homosexual and heterosexual families would be if it compares adopted children with other adopted children and children related to only one parent with other children of the same sort of situation. Of course though this argument only works for couples having children not the relationships themselves.

This is pure reason; asking for evidence really indicates your level of intelligence. But still, history is full of examples of nations with sexual freedom who later got obliterated, either internally or externally.

Read something enlightened: http://www.leaderu.com/common/nationsdie.html

If it is technically wrong then it also technically right. It just depends how you interpret the words.

No, it depends on reality; scientific theories aren't proved or disproved. If a better model comes, it supersedes the old one. That's how they're 'proved'; the use of the word 'proof' is strictly related with empirical evidence in science's case. But in actuality, the word proof has entirely different applications and implications. You're using the wrong word used in the wrong context and then used it in another wrong context.

The question was if you find homosexual relationships worse than pedophilic ones because what you said seemed to imply that.

I can assert that I find necrophilia more acceptable than homosexuality but that wouldn't change anything. Say no strawman.

ashfrliebert said:

And I think most people have made up their mind about this anyway, including the OP.

And you're what? offended? Ok.
Jun 4, 2016 2:04 AM

May 2015
Shaheen- said:

Did you read the link I quoted? Or? Not a lot to be confused about.

Having an open mind means you don’t dismiss claims to truth out of hand. You analyze first. When you analyze a claim, you consider all the relevant evidence and examine all the logic involved, in a fair and unbiased manner, then grant tentative acceptance or rejection. If new arguments or new evidence come up, then you revise your opinion. Being open means that you apply this standard fairly to all claims. Being open-minded does not mean believing every claim, no matter how improbable–that’s being gullible, not open.
This process of fair analysis, based upon logic and evidence, leading to tentative conclusions, which are open to revision, is part of science. It is also the very soul of true open-mindedness.
Jun 4, 2016 3:00 AM

Nov 2015
ashfrliebert said:
Shaheen- said:

Did you read the link I quoted? Or? Not a lot to be confused about.

Having an open mind means you don’t dismiss claims to truth out of hand. You analyze first. When you analyze a claim, you consider all the relevant evidence and examine all the logic involved, in a fair and unbiased manner, then grant tentative acceptance or rejection. If new arguments or new evidence come up, then you revise your opinion. Being open means that you apply this standard fairly to all claims. Being open-minded does not mean believing every claim, no matter how improbable–that’s being gullible, not open.
This process of fair analysis, based upon logic and evidence, leading to tentative conclusions, which are open to revision, is part of science. It is also the very soul of true open-mindedness.

And isn't that what I am doing? Or do you mean something else?

Logic, in its application, is a tautology; please do not associate it with science.
Jun 4, 2016 10:11 AM

Dec 2015
I think it almost is impossible to not judge. It would mean you have no opinion. Do you not need at least a little bit information - which might already lead to some opinion - even if you only "tolerate" something. Then you know at least it is not that bad/harmful to yourself (it it was you probably would not tolerate it).

Even prejudice is judgement/opinion. And it is normal because people don't have time to get 100 percent perfect information about everything. But they also do not want to stay with no opinion. So there is prejudice - the opinion based on less information because you need to have an opinion.

And that is totally okay and not a bad thing. People would go insane without it. Either not having enough time to get 100 percent info on everything (only sitting there 24/7 reading news or books/internet).

Or it would feel weird if you know - because of prejudice - that you do like or not like something but had to force yourself and say to yourself "I have not 100 percent info I am not allowed to have an opinion. I have no opinion." I don't think that will work.

Would mean I could not have opinions about people I only know about the internet (cause I have not enough info and do not know how they are in real life). But that is weird. I would have to tread everyone the same. Which makes no sense: I prefer to look more for people that have similar interests/opinions or write a lot of interesting stuff - and read their posts more in detail instead of only skipping through them.

If I had no opinion - treating all people the same - I would be busy reading all posts of every user in detail which takes more time. Inconvenient to not have an opinion.
Jun 4, 2016 11:36 AM

Mar 2008
Shaheen- said:
And this particular discourse concerns only pedophiles.

But you were comparing homosexuals to pedophiles so it is fair for me to point out the application of your logic back to the original subject.

This is pure reason; asking for evidence really indicates your level of intelligence.

If you can not even back up your argument with evidence then you do not have a valid argument. Anyone here could tell you the same.

But still, history is full of examples of nations with sexual freedom who later got obliterated, either internally or externally.

Read something enlightened: http://www.leaderu.com/common/nationsdie.html

That link is mostly just biased rantings of a person representing a Christian organisation.

Greece was not literally lawless. In fact they even had been ruled under Draco at one point. The lawlessness was from corruption of the aristocrats going on not anything to do with other morals. The same goes for egypt it had problems with its leaders not its culture. None of this has to do with tolerance except maybe those who tolerated corruption because they would not know how to stop it. Again when he starts talking about Rome again that has nothing to do with tolerance, it has to do with excess.

When countries get taken over it has nothing to do with " moral decay" it's because they are prosperous nations and others want what they have. You can't win every war so nations change hands given enough time. He and yourself have failed to provide the link between tolerance and destruction of entire nations. Nations which are more intolerant have that extra factor which helps lead to war but does not determine if they win.

No, it depends on reality; scientific theories aren't proved or disproved. If a better model comes, it supersedes the old one. That's how they're 'proved'; the use of the word 'proof' is strictly related with empirical evidence in science's case. But in actuality, the word proof has entirely different applications and implications. You're using the wrong word used in the wrong context and then used it in another wrong context.

You're so anal. I am not writing a rhesus here. This is an internet forum in case you forgot.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/prove
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/proof

I can assert that I find necrophilia more acceptable than homosexuality but that wouldn't change anything. Say no strawman.

It shows where your mind is at and helps with further discussion. You just wont answer for whatever reason. Asking question for clarification is not a straw man because it gives you a chance to reply.
traedJun 4, 2016 11:40 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
20 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 7 hours ago

6 by Nemo_Niemand »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

20 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 8 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.