Forum Settings
Forums

U.S. state of Louisiana passes law that expands hate crime laws to include law enforcement officials

New
May 29, 2016 9:01 AM

May 2016
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/louisiana-governor-signs-blue-lives-matter-bill/ar-BBtwbs9?ocid=DELLDHP

Can u believe this? People already get busted for "disorderly conduct" 4 insulting cops. Now they can have an even worse punishment cuz that would be a "hate crime"!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 29, 2016 9:16 AM

Apr 2011
The concept of a "hate crime" is utterly ridiculous. Every crime is a "hate crime". I swear, I'm getting pretty close to hoping that one of those generic anime villains would appear to destroy this "rotting society" so it could be "reborn".
May 29, 2016 9:42 AM

Mar 2015
can anyone explain to me the words "hate crime"? the concept feel very blurry for me...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 29, 2016 9:53 AM

Nov 2009
Kuma said:
can anyone explain to me the words "hate crime"? the concept feel very blurry for me...
Basically a crime motivated based on the race / sexuality / religion / etc. of the victim.

It's a rather dumb concept however including authority figures in the clause is rather dangerous.
May 29, 2016 10:00 AM

Mar 2015
Pirating_Ninja said:
Kuma said:
Basically a crime motivated based on the race / sexuality / religion / etc. of the victim.

It's a rather dumb concept however including authority figures in the clause is rather dangerous.
soo... emm.. what's make it different from "normal" crime? and why they should treated differently?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 29, 2016 10:22 AM

Apr 2011
Kuma said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

soo... emm.. what's make it different from "normal" crime? and why they should treated differently?

Because equality means minorities should be treated better.
May 29, 2016 10:27 AM

Mar 2015
yhunata said:
Kuma said:

my mind can't compute this pharase....
May 29, 2016 10:36 AM

Apr 2011
Kuma said:
yhunata said:

my mind can't compute this pharase....

But that is the reality of today's society, so we'll just have to deal with it.
May 29, 2016 10:46 AM

May 2016
I'm glad I don't live in the "bible belt".
May 29, 2016 12:01 PM

May 2009
Does Louisiana have a shortage on prisoners or something? If they enforce this, I can see prisons filled to the brim with people charged with 'hate speech'.

And do those cops have such thin skin that they can't even take a bit of verbal abuse anymore? When I was still working in security, I was taught that you get insults, because you;re in uniform, not so much for who you are, which make sense, because these people don't even know you personally. So, unless they threaten you with a weapon, or just make a death threat in general, I don't see why they need to combat 'hate speech' so aggressively.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2016 1:27 PM

Mar 2008
To have it include just casual insults is stupid.

yhunata said:
The concept of a "hate crime" is utterly ridiculous. Every crime is a "hate crime". I swear, I'm getting pretty close to hoping that one of those generic anime villains would appear to destroy this "rotting society" so it could be "reborn".

Not entirely. It's just a way of categorizing crimes by motive to give more accurate sentencing. There is a difference between targeting people someone knows personally and targeting generalized groups of people. Although going after specific groups isnt necisarily better or worse than going after completely random people.
May 29, 2016 2:49 PM

Apr 2015
It sucks when there are laws forbidden people to insult others.
#CHEXIT
May 29, 2016 5:29 PM

May 2014
I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Tbh I think it is hate crime (idk if I think "hate" crimes should be taken more seriously or not)

That said you arnt gonna be arrested for calling a cop a pig any more so than for calling a black person a racial slur. Your probably not gonna get into legal trouble unless you go over the top
May 29, 2016 5:47 PM
Jul 2015
Based off of the article, my understanding is that people who commit crimes against law enforcement officers, firefighters, and medical personnel are to be charged with both the actual crime and this bizarre "hate crime." That's nonsensical. It's almost like a caste society.
May 29, 2016 8:51 PM

Dec 2012
Well it's a good thing I love everyone I rob. The police are pigs but I love pigs. I want a pet pig. They're so cute.
May 30, 2016 7:11 PM

Jul 2014
I hate hate crime laws, they make me want to kill myself and not a swift death... Makes me want to stab something. Maybe I should go on a killing spree and kill everyone I see that are privileged by hate crime laws.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.