Forum Settings
Forums

Is it better to binge-watch or take your time with anime?

New
May 29, 2016 4:27 AM
May 2016
When you find animes you really enjoy ofcourse you're going to want to watch as many as you can, but is that the right thing to do? I remember watching Diamond no Ace one of the best animes I watched and I finished it in a month (both seasons) and after that I felt like I could've enjoyed it more if I extended my time I spent on the anime. (example 1-2 ep per day) What are your thoughts?
randomuser32101May 30, 2016 1:53 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 29, 2016 4:29 AM

Dec 2013
If I am watching a finished Anime and I am enjoying it, I like to watch lots of episodes as many as I can. I enjoy more this way.
RiaTheGamerWeebMay 29, 2016 4:36 AM
May 29, 2016 4:29 AM

Jun 2015
Hmm I'm taking my time, to guess what's gonna happen and how things will turn out.
This makes it more interesting for me.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
May 29, 2016 4:31 AM

Apr 2016
I tend to enjoy it more if I finish it as fast as I can. It can be 2-3 eps per day or a binge watch on the weekend. One ep per week reduces the enjoyment factor for me.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 29, 2016 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
I often find it hard to sit down and focus on an anime for more than an hour at a time. The only anime I can watch in one sitting are ones with episodes shorter than 10 minutes, and even then I quickly get bored.

the exception to my slow anime watching is Soul Eater, which I finished in a little under 2 weeks (i think). I forgot a lot of what happened, though, so I do regret watching the series so fast.
May 29, 2016 4:35 AM

Dec 2014
I am neutral as this one... I want to watch anime... if it is finished and good I try to finish it ASAP and if it is airing I'll take it slow
May 29, 2016 4:36 AM
Jul 2018
For me personally, I think as long as you watch it and are fully engaged in it and fully involved in it (I mean, as much or as little as you would like to be), it doesn't matter whether you watch a show in a few days or over a long period of time.

I feel like if you watch a whole show in one day though, even if it's only 12 episodes or something, your brain might be kind of fried and tired before you reach the end. That's why I say I think it's important to make sure you're fully engaged in it when you watch a show you really like. And not watch it if you're really tired and won't pay attention to it as much. At least that's what works for me for enjoying an anime as much as I can. But watching it over a few days in my opinion is ok. That's what I did with Shin Sekai Yori. I think. I don't remember how many days it was, but I got full enjoyment out of it.
May 29, 2016 4:36 AM
IHaveTrashTaste

Aug 2013
Well, for me the watching of animes is better when it takes longer, for example i enjoy watching long animes - more than 100 eps, and short ones - 12-25 eps, so its not a problem if the show is ongoing - i can enjoy it that way, or i can wait to finish, then watch it for the longer time is possible to enjoy it to the fullest.
May 29, 2016 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
I'd rather watch as much as I can in one-go, mainly because I don't know when I'll get to watch another episode ( Busy life ). And watching a little every day or every week kills the hype for me. Same goes for on-going anime, it's a pain to follow them, but I'd rather watch them on-going than when they finish airing, so I can watch more at a time.
May 29, 2016 4:42 AM

May 2016
Usually, if I a show has 26 eps, or less, not finishing it in a span of a week means I did not enjoy it too much.

The only exception to this rule I can think of is Mushi-shi, this is the one to leave for the time when there's nobody in the house and I can savor it in peace with a glass of wine in one hand and a bag of dried apricots in the other.
May 29, 2016 4:42 AM

Jul 2015
There is no right or wrong in the speed of watching an anime one enjoys. It just depends on you. For me, if I enjoy something, I will marathon it (if I have the time) because while the interest is still fresh, it is continuously 'replenished' so to speak by my hype of watching it, allowing me to finish it with a positive mindset of the anime. That to me is where I derive maximum enjoyment for myself.
MrTralalaMay 29, 2016 4:49 AM
May 29, 2016 4:44 AM

Jul 2015
Bader_Killer said:
If I am watching a finished Anime and I am enjoying it, I like to watch lots of episodes as many as I can. I enjoy more this way.

same goes for me I cant take my time to finish an anime i like i want to watch it as fast as i can *~*
May 29, 2016 4:46 AM

Dec 2015
Well from my experience it depends on the series rather than anything else.
I wouldnt enjoy Nanatsu if i didnt marathon it, and I wouldnt enjoy Nichijou if I marathoned that (I sure took my time lol)

The action ones tend to be better for marathoning imo, unlike SoL stuff, for example :p
May 29, 2016 4:49 AM

May 2015
Depends on you and the anime but in my experience taking too much time watching it will make me lose interest (I am referring to 1 episode every 1 or 2 weeks, for me at least). I generally prefer 1 or 2 hours every day on average.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2016 4:56 AM

Mar 2015
I am easily forgot stuff that I watched. So, ASAP is the obvious choice for me. xD
This salad is salty favored
May 29, 2016 4:57 AM

Aug 2015
Watch as many as you like. Back when i watched naruto i watched upwards of 20 episodes a day everyday. But i just can't do that anymore. Now, if i find a really good anime i will watch around 5 episodes a day (only if its really good). I usually only watch 1-3 episodes a day now.
May 29, 2016 4:58 AM

Dec 2010
It's usually best to take your time and enjoy an anime to the best, but there are some you want to binge watch or risk losing interest in them.
May 29, 2016 5:33 AM

Dec 2015
Depends on the person and on the anime. I prefer to watch about 3 eps a day unless the anime is about 5-6 eps long. In that case I just binge it.
May 29, 2016 5:36 AM

Sep 2015
Watch patiently or you'll forget the anime forever
May 29, 2016 5:49 AM

Mar 2016
For me it's best to binge everything so if I have time, that's the way to go.
yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
May 29, 2016 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
Early on when I just started watching, if I stumbled on one I really liked I just zoomed right through it.

Now even if it's a good one I usually take my time. I think I enjoy it more this way for now.
May 29, 2016 3:43 PM
Apr 2016
Well, I try to finish them quickly, mainly because my list is pretty small and don't want to look like a lame newbie, but I'm not going to like, panic if I don't finish an anime in two days XD
May 29, 2016 3:48 PM

Nov 2015

I always take my time while watching an anime.
I like to analyse what I watch, the dialogs, the shots, angles, music, plot, everything. So, I watch around 2 of one anime per day (if I watch more than 2 eps, I watch other anime) so I can later go to sleep thinking about the plot, and what will happen, theorize. I like the experience that way. More important, I won't feel that watching the anime was just a flash, but a experience that lasted some time.

That's my way of enjoying anime. I know not many people will relate, but if I marathon an anime the experience will be a flash, and it wont perdure as much as if I took my time to fully enjoy it.

If the anime is 12 episodes long: 1 EPs per day (and I watch the last 2 eps in a row)
If the anime is 25 episodes long: 2 Eps per day (and I watch the last 2 eps in a row)
These are no rules, so I can bend it if I feel like I want to.

How did I watch my favorite animes?
Well I watched :
  • Stein;Gate: 2 episodes a day (10/10)
  • Fate/Zero: 2 episodes a day (10/10)
  • Angel Beats!: 1 episode a day (9/10)
  • Kara no Kyoukai: 1 movie every week (9/10) <- In this case I did not have much time to watch it, but I could have watched 3 movies a week.
HumbertoZeroMay 29, 2016 4:11 PM
May 29, 2016 4:12 PM

Jun 2013
For me it depends of the length of the anime. If the anime is short, around 12-13 episodes, then I will watch it quickly and finish it in 2-3 days, since I want to know how it ends. If it's a long anime, then I'll watch 4 episodes a day, sometimes more depending of days, to observe more what is going since a lot more will be going on compared to a short anime.
May 29, 2016 4:14 PM

Jan 2010
For me that depend on how long the anime is, and how much appeal it has on me whether it's plot, characters, and how much hype it has.
May 29, 2016 4:20 PM

Aug 2015
I used to binge watch quite often but now I just do 1-2 episodes a day of each series (I often have 3-4 non airing stuff).
However I won't force myself to stop at 1 or 2 ep, if I'm really enjoying the series I'll keep watching without stopping
May 29, 2016 4:21 PM

Oct 2014
I used to binge watch when I had the time. Now I watch 2-3 eps before hitting the sack.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 29, 2016 4:26 PM

Oct 2014
I just watch however much I'm able to which usually isn't too much (3-8 episodes per day). The anime I'm currently watching is 178 episodes so I bet it will take me well over a month to finish it.
May 29, 2016 4:31 PM

Mar 2016
I personally think if you enjoy the show that it just generally feels better if you extend the time on the next episode. I think this is because it gives us more time to process what we just saw and let it sync in our heads better. Basically like if you were watching a new episode of a currently airing anime each week.
May 29, 2016 4:34 PM
Nov 2015
I personally try to finish as fast as possible if I don't like the show, but I go slower if I enjoy it more. It seems like that should be opposite, I know, but I'd rather get the bad stuff out of the way.

For example, even though Hunter x Hunter is my favorite anime, it took me 66 days to finish, whereas D.Gray Man, which I didn't enjoy as much, only took me 24, because I just wanted to get it over with.
May 29, 2016 4:34 PM

Apr 2015
I usually like to take my time while watching a particular show, but I'm well-aware that there are other individuals that enjoy binge watch a couple shows in just a couple hours.

-Mastergold
May 29, 2016 4:37 PM

Mar 2015
take your time, anime used to entertained, not forcing your self to finish it.. but soem series does very entertaining to marathoned, than can be rewatched anytime... if you really feel wasting your time, just drop it.. i don't understand masochism mentality on anime fans...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 29, 2016 4:44 PM

Jan 2008
Its fine if all you do is watch a few show and completed only shows I guess. If you watch airing shows, you already watch them at a episode per week pacing.
May 29, 2016 4:48 PM

May 2016
It depends on the person! For example me, i can't watch an anime and wait until next week for the net episode. I don't know dont ask me why i'll die from curiosity to learn what's going on so i prefer animes that i know they already finished so i'll watch as many episodes as i can per day! I enjoy it that way!
May 29, 2016 4:55 PM

Jul 2014
I usually binge watch an anime I really enjoy. And then I might go back and watch it over again while doing my homework or something.
Just pretend I have a signature here
May 29, 2016 5:03 PM

Jan 2015
Idk my gut tells me ASAP so it's till fresh in your mind and while your not sick of it, because I'm doing the latter and needless to say I'm at the halfway mark on plenty of series.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 29, 2016 5:31 PM

Sep 2013
Definitely better when you take your time. Lets things soak in and gives you the chance to think. Unfortunately, patience is not a strong suit of mine.
May 29, 2016 6:10 PM

May 2016
It is always objectively better to take your time watching anything, to fully be able to take in what you're watching. Whether or not that's always possible is another matter entirely.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 29, 2016 6:14 PM

Nov 2012
I don't like waiting a week for a new episode so I always watched already finished animes. I tried waiting in SAOII but I ended up getting bored.

I like watching them back to back personally, I find them more powerful like that especially slice of life, romantic, drama animes. So maybe not ASAP but definitely fast I'd say. But there's no need for rushing, you gotta do it in a pace that you're comfortable with.
May 29, 2016 6:46 PM

Feb 2016
I want to take my time and watch/read a solid anime but if I have no plans or things to do ill binge watch it and it becomes difficult to stop (especially if its a really good one like Steins or Haikyuu) lol
May 29, 2016 7:24 PM

Nov 2015
Definitely spend more time. Especially when taking about one cour shows.

I kinda almost set schedules as to what I'm gonna watch on what day and how many am I gonna watch so that I don't get burned out.
May 29, 2016 7:27 PM

Jun 2015
i think that its better to go at your pace.
when watching anime.
May 29, 2016 7:58 PM

Apr 2014
Depends on the show. A show like Highschool of the Dead is a serie that you finish fast, as it is just popcorn material. A show like Higurashi no Naka Koro ni takes time, because of the plot and plot twists the show has (Also the gruesome murder and creepy laughs)
May 29, 2016 9:14 PM

Jan 2014
Taking your time is preferable for many genres, but you can always rewatch it if you felt it went too fast.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 29, 2016 11:56 PM

Jun 2015
Take your time. Rushing stuff sometimes makes it lose its appeal.
May 30, 2016 12:06 AM

May 2016
IamNotJapanise said:
When you find animes you really enjoy ofcourse you're going to want to watch as many as you can, but is that the right thing to do? I remember watching Diamond no Ace one of the best animes I watched and I finished it in a month (both seasons) and after that I felt like I could've enjoyed it more if I extended my time I spent on the anime. (example 1-2 ep per day) What are your thoughts?

I finish them ASAP sometimes i finish a 12 episode anime in one day with time to spare cause if i dont finish some anime especially when theres romance I sometimes cant sleep and I eventually wake up early and binge watch again
May 30, 2016 12:54 AM

Sep 2015
There aren't any better or worse ways of doing it. It depends on the person and what preferences they have. Personally, I don't tend to binge-watch something that I'm enjoying because I like spreading it out across a period of time, so that I don't finish it in a single sitting. Being able to enjoy something for a week or two at a time is better for me than being done with it in a day or two.

I do find, though, that the amount of episodes I watch at a time is related to the total amount of episodes there are. When I was watching Nanatsu, I was watching 3-4 episodes at a time, since it's a 2-cour series. But for a single cour I typically won't watch more than 2 episodes at a time, especially if I really like it. I'm actually more likely to finish something in one or two sittings if I find it to be alright or decent, rather than really good.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 30, 2016 1:13 AM

Jan 2015
Everyone's different, so go at whatever pace you feel is best. When I really like an anime, I blow through it like nothing. If I only watched 1-2 episodes a day of a completed anime that I really enjoy, then it'd probably take away some of my enjoyment.
May 30, 2016 1:24 AM
Mar 2016
Yeah, it's better to take your time,that is, if you want to enjoy it. I only watch 2-3 episodes per day. but, then again, everyone has their own thoughts.
May 30, 2016 1:45 AM

Feb 2014
Watch at your own pace. Watching an anime under circumstances that you don't decide sours the experience, so it's best for you to decide.
We need as much lewdness as we can possibly get. ~ Komine Sachi
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

73 by Abomination_suah »»
2 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 7 hours ago

15 by juanlqr »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by juanlqr »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

14 by iiKonata »»
10 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

91 by LeonhartAugust »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.