Forum Settings
Forums

zoo gorilla shot dead after a kid crawled into it's enclosure

New
May 28, 2016 5:33 PM

Jul 2013
http://abcnews.go.com/US/year-picked-gorilla-cincinnati-zoo-escapes-injury/story?id=39454916

A 3-year-old boy escaped without serious injury after he crawled through a barrier at the Cincinnati Zoo and into a gorilla enclosure, where he was picked up by a 400-pound gorilla, the zoo director said.

After the boy crawled through the barrier Saturday, he fell into a moat, where he was picked up and carried around by the gorilla for about 10 minutes, Zoo Director Thane Maynard said.

There were already fire department personnel at the zoo because of a sick person, and they responded immediately to the pen, District Fire Chief Marc Monahan said.

When they got to the gorilla pen they saw the gorilla who violently dragging and throwing the child, he said.

A Cincinnati Zoo employee shot the gorilla when the child was in between its legs, and zoo employees then unlocked the gate and two fire fighters quickly retrieved the child.

read more...

would you feel more sorry for the gorilla or the kid? Even though it was the kid's fault and partly the parent's fault for not supervising.

I say close all zoo and let the animals free into the wild.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 28, 2016 5:39 PM

Apr 2012
Come on a 3 year old doesn't know any better. It was the kid's parents fault period.
It had to be done. His life was in danger.

May 28, 2016 5:44 PM

Jan 2016
and those people at that particularly zoo are so dedicated to the well being of the animals, they have a youtube channel and i watched several videos of them, i hope they sue the parents.
May 28, 2016 5:44 PM

Apr 2016
I cant blame the kid since he is 3. His parents should have paid close attention. Entirely their fault.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2016 5:45 PM

Apr 2016
Sakuraoka said:
and those people at that particularly zoo are so dedicated to the well being of the animals, they have a youtube channel and i watched several videos of them, i hope they sue the parents.

I would want them to be have to face harsher things but they have a kid and I would feel bad for the kid.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2016 6:14 PM

Nov 2008
Poor Parenting, an endangered gorilla died because of their negligence.

May 28, 2016 6:18 PM

Jan 2015
Sue the parents, a gorilla died because of their failure.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 28, 2016 6:27 PM

Mar 2008
Pretty sure the parents are able to be charged with neglect.
May 28, 2016 6:27 PM

Jul 2015
Pretty much what Sakuraoka said. The only ones who could prevent it were the parents.
May 28, 2016 6:43 PM

Jan 2013
Why not just tranquilize them?

Gorillas are an expensive commodity.
May 28, 2016 6:50 PM

May 2014
95PercentCaim said:

tranqus would have taken too long to take effect according to the article

entirly the parents fault. tho i would note that the gorrilla "was not attacking", it was shot preemptively. i would have held off on killing it until there were signs the gorrila was aggressve, as there are cases of gorrilas being friendly to and even protecting children that fall into their pen.
May 28, 2016 9:27 PM

Apr 2015
Poor gorilla, shot to death.

Poor kid, for having stupid parents.
#CHEXIT
May 28, 2016 10:04 PM

Nov 2009
It's partially the parents fault, and partially the Zoo's fault. Typically such exhibits should be "child proof". A kid falling into "x" exhibit is borderline cliche at this point, you would think that a place like a Zoo, which is extremely susceptible to law suits, would cover its bases.
May 28, 2016 10:07 PM

Feb 2016
Couldn't they have just shot it with a tranquilizer dart? Was killing it really necessary? :/

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
May 28, 2016 10:12 PM

Aug 2010
joey101937 said:
95PercentCaim said:

tranqus would have taken too long to take effect according to the article

entirly the parents fault. tho i would note that the gorrilla "was not attacking", it was shot preemptively. i would have held off on killing it until there were signs the gorrila was aggressve, as there are cases of gorrilas being friendly to and even protecting children that fall into their pen.
Yea but even if it was being friendly, it's strength is too much that even a sudden act can kill a 3 year old human child
May 29, 2016 12:08 AM

Jun 2008
Wouldn't it be really fucked up if the gorilla was actually trying to save the child...and instead they fucking kill him...
May 29, 2016 12:24 AM

Aug 2013
A gorilla can tear a part a fully grown man with its strength and turn into a violent rampage in an instant. They had no choice just dragging the child around could have torn its arm off. Parents are at fault for not watching the kid and the zoos at fault for even having an enclosure a child could get into.
May 29, 2016 1:58 PM
May 2016
There happens to be a video of this, but parts of the gorilla being violent or getting shot has been cut out:

May 29, 2016 2:18 PM

May 2016
That poor gorilla.
May 29, 2016 2:41 PM

Nov 2013
RyanEsau said:
Couldn't they have just shot it with a tranquilizer dart? Was killing it really necessary? :/

Tranquilizer darts don't work instantly; it could take several minutes for the effects to kick in, especially in a creature as large as a gorilla. Plus, animals are unpredictable. Who knows what the gorilla would have done if it had felt the pain of the dart? The situation could have turned around in an instant.

JustALEX said:
Wouldn't it be really fucked up if the gorilla was actually trying to save the child...and instead they fucking kill him...

A lot of people are suggesting this but the child did end up going to the hospital, so the gorilla wasn't exactly being gentle. Sure, it may have been trying to protect the child, but because of its sheer strength, it could have fatally injured the child while doing so.

Just a sad situation all around. Reminds me of the guy who fell in a tiger enclosure and died because the tiger picked him up by the neck in its jaws and carried him further into the enclosure, possibly to protect him from the people who were shouting and throwing rocks at it from above.
May 29, 2016 3:44 PM
Mar 2012
I get that everyone is blaming the parent for this, wich is right, but at the same time isn't the zoo itself partly responsible? I mean, it's a 3 years old that wander in a dangerous animal pen, how did he get in? It's not like it was a sheep pen made for children to feed them and pet them.. there should've been protection preventing that to happen.

I get that it's bad parenting for not checking the child enough, but to me that looks like a security problem too. If I go to a zoo here and stop watching a child for 30 sec, he won't be playing with lions when I turn arround.. there's fences and glass preventing stuff like that.
May 29, 2016 4:21 PM

May 2014
@Dante04
The zoo can only do so much. They out up the fence and don't climb on fence sign, but they can't do much if a kid is going to climb on it anyway.

@ThRippJck
Eh your probably right

@Tien
I agree with you about the tranquilizer darts but from what I've seen, the child was taken to the hospital because of the fall, not because of any wounds inflicted by the gorrila
May 29, 2016 10:04 PM

Apr 2014
It's the zoo's fault primarily. This shouldn't even be possible.
May 29, 2016 10:11 PM

Jun 2008
After watching the video, I still can't understand how that kid fell in there.

What type of parents are these? How the fuck do you lose track of a child long enough so he falls into an animal exhibit?

Fuck those parents!
May 29, 2016 10:28 PM

Aug 2014
They should've just traded the kid for some bananas.
May 29, 2016 11:13 PM

Apr 2016
fucking hell i want to see the gorilla throwing baby around like ragdoll lol or when it gets shot dammit
May 29, 2016 11:18 PM

Dec 2014
wooow I blame the society for this... Why are you capturing animals... there should be more safari parks.... but wait .... that may increase such accidents even more..... Ahhh It was an unfortunate accident I guess
May 29, 2016 11:28 PM
Jul 2015
While this obviously could've gone much worse, this could also be a pivotal moment for the parents. Maybe they'll be so impacted by what happened that they'll resolve to be better in the future.
May 30, 2016 12:09 AM

May 2010
Lol the Gorilla was probably more scared of the screaming from the parents.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 30, 2016 11:20 AM

Apr 2016
Fuckkkkkkkk. I am tired of seeing this shit. I've unfollowed anyone on Facebook sharing the damn memes. I don't care what kind of flack I get. This is insane. A human kid versus an animal? Really people feel more compassion towards an animal than a human child?
May 30, 2016 11:25 AM

Aug 2013
Kids are stupid. It's the parents' responsibility to make sure that they don't do something retarded like climbing down into random gorilla enclosures and getting themselves in serious trouble; the gorilla was obviously stressed and frightened by the contant screaming and shouting around it, so I don't think that it was malicious and deserved to get killed, but at the end of the day what matters the most is geting the child back to safety.
May 30, 2016 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
well there's currently a petition against the parents. I really hope this would help them remember what they have caused.
May 30, 2016 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
Moog said:
Kids are stupid. It's the parents' responsibility to make sure that they don't do something retarded like climbing down into random gorilla enclosure

The zoo should have it so kids CAN'T climb into the enclosure in the first place. kids wander off in a split second or do stupid things. If the zoo can't make a dangerous gorillas exhibit 4 year old proof then they should get a serious investigation into their security measures of the park.
May 31, 2016 9:31 AM

Mar 2012
Really unsure what to make of this, on one hand shitty parenting for allowing a child of such a young age (if he was like 12+ then really its the kids fault, but at the age of 3 you really can't blame the kid) to get into this situation.
On the other hand the zoo really fucked up with its security, there should be no way for a kid to be able to crawl into a pen of any wild animal especially an animal as powerful as a gorilla.
May 31, 2016 9:37 AM

Jan 2012
Those parents needed to watch over that kid so that crap wouldn't have happened in the first place. And who the heck is filming the video? Aren't zoos supposed to have tranquilizer darts?
BasudeMay 31, 2016 9:48 AM
May 31, 2016 9:56 AM

Jan 2016
it was the parents fault, there is no way a child could wander in there by itself.

some cute videos about that zoo, i love cheetahs! ^^

May 31, 2016 9:58 PM

Dec 2012
JustALEX said:
If only animals could speak...

@ Topic - I saw a picture of the parents. I'm willing to bet they were absorbed in their egotistic selfie tirade. This is the selfie culture - one of negligence and lunacy of the highest order.
May 31, 2016 10:05 PM

Jun 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
@ Topic - I saw a picture of the parents. I'm willing to bet they were absorbed in their egotistic selfie tirade. This is the selfie culture - one of negligence and lunacy of the highest order.

Yeah, that's completely possible.

I was recently at a baseball game where people were too busy taking 300 pictures of themselves than watch the fucking game.

Thing is...the section I was sitting in is the section where foul balls can come in.

And if you're too fucking retarded to pay attention to the goddamn game that you came for because you're a narcissist that can't go more than 5 minutes without taking a picture of yourself....then I'm not gonna feel sorry for you when a ball hit you in your dense head.
May 31, 2016 11:36 PM

Oct 2015
His parents should have been watching him better, though he shouldn't have been able to slip into the enclosure either so I partially blame the zoo but mostly the parents.
May 31, 2016 11:41 PM

Jul 2013
I mean, how fuckn stupid is the Zoo to make bars so wide that kids can climb through. Also how did the parents not notice that they were small enough to be climbed through and even if they did why did they not keep the child from doing so?

Rip gorilla-kun you died because humans were stupid no matter how you look at it, if this were my world then these idiots would be jailed or worse.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 1, 2016 7:46 AM

May 2016
there was some sort of petition for the CPS to take the kid away from the parents I saw online.
Jun 2, 2016 6:50 AM

Apr 2016
honestly, I blame the zoo. If a three year old kid can climb into the enclosure, that's not safe AT ALL. Zoos are for kids, and if kids can get into the exhibit, it's only a matter of time until one does. I don't blame the parents, because I've had four young siblings and so I emphasize with her. It's very likely the child had ADHD and just shot off without warning (of course I don't know for sure, just speculation based off of experience with my severly ADHD five year old cousin who is amazing and I love him). Either way, it's a crappy situation.

Jun 3, 2016 4:12 AM

Apr 2016
The gorilla actually wasn't hurting the child, or meaning to. It only started dragging him around because the people wouldn't stop screaming their heads off. That's just how gorillas treat their young. If you watch the video, he tries to keep the boy out of the water by holding him by his shorts and protectively hovers over him.

I gotta say the parents who took their eyes off their kid needs to feel massive amounts of shame. A gorilla had to die because of they couldn't be arsed to pay attention to their kid in a zoo, but then again the zoo made it easy for a three year old to climb in so...

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
Jun 4, 2016 7:50 AM

May 2013
The blame game is too strong here.
Jun 4, 2016 8:14 AM
Sep 2015
Shit happens. This kind of thing can happen quicker than you think. Disaster is not indicative of negligence.
Jun 6, 2016 12:09 AM
Oct 2008
I am going to say that anyone judging the parents clearly has not experienced raising active, little boys. The kid was able to crawl through the barrier. Apparently the mother was dealing with one of her other kids and it happened really fast (of course it did with a barrier that pathetic).

I understand the impulse to judge when you have don't have kids; I cringe when I think back to some of the things I said and thought about parenting pre-kids. However, it is not as easy or straightforward as you think it is. I completely understand these days how it came to be that a mum took her eyes off her child for a few seconds and that is all it took for them to get into mischief. For an attraction that is supposed to cater for children, that barrier is negligently dangerous in my opinion.
CottonrabbitJun 6, 2016 12:17 AM
Jun 7, 2016 8:38 PM

Feb 2015
it did nothing wrong. i mean they even called the video "terrifying" and he literally did nothing to the child.

just in spite of the terrible mother, i'd tranquilize the gorilla and wait.
Jun 7, 2016 10:33 PM

Nov 2011
gorilla was just curious about the kid. if the ignorant, uneducated, useless crowd of people didn't scream towards the gorilla, it might had been possible to distract him long enough to take the kid to safety. the crowd agitated the gorilla, and one could argue that the gorilla standing tall and strong next to the kid was his natural instinct in protecting his new find against what he perceived as a threat. one thing that's for certain is that the crowd made the situation worse than it could have been.

edit: trying to tranquilize him would cause the gorilla to become furious and the kid would have been in a greater danger.
DreamingBeatsJun 7, 2016 10:40 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.