Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 28, 2016 8:56 AM
Mar 2016
do you think he's right most of the time, makes stuff up, projects too much? what do you think of him?

I personally think he makes too many long videos. I'm not gonna sit there for 6 hours listening to what he thinks about Erased

I also think he makes a lot of interesting points about shows, but he presents his feelings about things as fact way too much, lol
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 28, 2016 9:00 AM
Aug 2015
From a few videos of his I've seen, he's way too cringe-worthy for my taste, but I'm sure many others enjoy his analysis.
archaaiMay 28, 2016 11:22 AM
May 28, 2016 9:01 AM

Apr 2016
He's interesting. He does present his feelings as facts a lot but I think it just adds to the content. He made a video about anime elitists and it generated a thread and that's how I got to know him and I respect his opinions even if they are different from mine.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2016 9:01 AM

Mar 2015
at very least not as annoying as thatanimesnob...
i rarely take a look at youtobers anyways... not that i care..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 28, 2016 9:02 AM

Sep 2015
I don't think he's necessarily "right" when it comes to opinions, but stuff like his asterisk war series review was very entertaining. I just don't bother watching his long videos, and if I disagree with him about a certain show, I just won't watch that video.

About presenting feelings as facts, that's something everyone does, it's not like digibro is exempt from human nature.

Jun 2015
From my experience, everything he says is incredibly basic and not really worthwhile. And yes, he is rather condescending with his opinions at times.

Life's too short to waste it on watching 20+ videos on why an anime sucks.
AltoRoarkMay 28, 2016 12:17 PM

Apr 2016
On_the_Lam said:
From a few videos of his I've seen, he's way too cringe-worthy for my taste, but I'm sure many others enjoy his analyses.

They can be pretty cringe worthy. I respect his opinions but they aren't really my taste either.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2016 9:03 AM

Oct 2014
I always form my opinions on whatever I see, I don't really concern myself with other peoples taste. If I didn't enjoy an anime, I didn't. If you disagree with me then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frankly, I've only seen 2-3 videos of his AssWars hate speech/rant and I agree AssWars is worst but making 12+ videos on how bad it was just makes me think he is going too far. Plus he once compared A1 studios with McDonalds which I found hilarious. I like that autistic feg but I couldn't care less.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 28, 2016 9:03 AM

Jun 2009
I have no idea what you're even talking about but still felt compelled to write this comment.
May 28, 2016 9:04 AM

Apr 2016
grandy_UiD said:
I have no idea what you're even talking about but still felt compelled to write this comment.

Digibro after dark makes youtube videos about anime in general. You can check him out if you want. His videos are on the long side though.
May 28, 2016 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
Digibro is the very definition of someone who talks a lot, but doesn't really say much.

That aside, the man likes Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou. That alone makes him ok in my book.
May 28, 2016 9:13 AM

Dec 2015
Nahhh im good without his super analysis, thank you.
For proper analysis, MAL community is better lol
May 28, 2016 9:15 AM
Jun 2015
he just shares his perspective on shows and can articulate his feelings well. flaws are matter of perspective and sometimes i like to hear others opinion on things to see how other view same thing differently
it would be good if he stops making negative videos on incompetent,garbage shows like asterisk wars and concentrate more on videos like a 'loving thesis k-on'.
nooneheredudMay 28, 2016 9:25 AM
May 28, 2016 9:23 AM

Nov 2015
He's absolutely spot on..
He's also pretty brash without being triggerworthy..
May 28, 2016 9:29 AM

Jan 2016
Well reasoned out and usually spot on, he's my go to guy for my fix of anime analysis... .... but, I don't really know why he prefers long form analysis(not that I'm complaining, though...) I'm just wondering.

FYI, he managed to made me rewatch Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry and rate it higher(even to go so far as putting it in my favorites) too...just from his words alone...even though he explicitly said that it's an average anime...haha!
ethotMay 28, 2016 10:17 AM
May 28, 2016 9:43 AM
Sep 2015
I respect his videos and think they are mostly high quality, because he goes really in depth in his analyses. However, my main problem with him is that his reviews are far more biased than I'd like them to be. Obviously that's his style but I'd prefer it if he were a little bit more objective sometimes. I've sat through a lot of his videos where he criticizes shows and many of the points he makes are valid, but he seems to overlook good things about the show if he didn't personally enjoy them, which makes them appear far worse than they actually are to his viewers.

I know this has been brought up too often but for example in his review of Erased he rambled endlessly about how the show is practically shit and refused to acknowledge pretty much anything about it. I understand that the points he makes are valid, yes the show had indeed quite a few problems but is it really fair to criticise it so harshly as if it had close to 0 merit to it? Let's not be ridiculous here. Regardless of whether people liked it or not there are far worse shows than this so it wouldn't be bad if Digibro were to incorporate some objectivity to his reviews, as in: "Yes I hated the show, but even though I did I can't help but acknowledge it had the following merits " etc.

What he has to understand is the simple truth that because he is a known persona people turn to him for opinions on shows and that his opinion bears a lot of weight. He is obviously entitled to his opinion and to using whichever scoring system he pleases (as he explained in his second channel a couple of weeks ago) but he is neglecting the fact that when his average fan sees that he gave a show a bad score (and I'm not talking only about the scores here but also about his reviews in general, which as I mentioned tend to be very subjective), let's say for example a 3, they are going to instantly assume that the show in question is utter garbage and might miss out on something great. For example, if I were to take his words seriously I wouldn't have watched Psycho Pass s2, which to be honest wasn't great, but you know what? It was at least fun, by no means garbage.

So to summarise, what I think his reviews lack is a clear distinction between his opinion and actual analysis of the show. A perfect video in my opinion should have a little bit of both. On the one hand one should do analysis without being influenced by emotion and on the other they should at one point include their personal opinion about what they just analysed. That's why I like reviewers like Arkada especially his latest reviews where he included a "spoiler room". He goes through with his review objectively then proceeds with his actual opinion of the show and comments on its development. So posting videos claiming shows are garbage are fine by me if and only if they are accompanied by a clear breakdown of the show's in question strengths and weaknesses which leads to a conclusion as to why they are what they are. I cannot take seriously an analysis which focuses on only the weaknesses (Erased,PP2) or the strengths (K-on. Digi, I understand that this is your favourite show. I truly do, but this doesn't mean it's the best show. I think of Shiki as a masterpiece but you don't see me going around telling people it's the best thing in anime ever).
May 28, 2016 9:47 AM

May 2016
I don't really 'watch' his videos, because there's nothing to look at, but as something to have in the background, they're irreplaceable in my opinion.
May 28, 2016 9:56 AM

Oct 2015
He has some good ideas, but I've never been able to go through one of his videos in its entirety just because of how long it takes for him to get to the point.

I think AnimeEveryday is better, but the problem with AnimeEveryday is that he sometimes uses clickbait titles for more views (like a video titled "Why Modern Anime Sucks" or something along those lines and then doesn't even conclude such in the video).
May 28, 2016 10:03 AM

Oct 2014
Lobinde said:
He has some good ideas, but I've never been able to go through one of his videos in its entirety just because of how long it takes for him to get to the point.

I think AnimeEveryday is better, but the problem with AnimeEveryday is that he sometimes uses clickbait titles for more views (like a video titled "Why Modern Anime Sucks" or something along those lines and then doesn't even conclude such in the video).

the problem with animeeveryday that he just present lists with good titles but never explains his reasonings and what is good about these shows so there is very little content in his videos
May 28, 2016 10:08 AM
Jul 2013
I think his videos are pretty refreshing, he talks a lot about context/industry which can be interesting.

Fukuoka1999 said:
grandy_UiD said:

Digibro after dark makes youtube videos about anime in general. You can check him out if you want. His videos are on the long side though.

After Dark is his side channel, his main one is just called Digibro
May 28, 2016 10:08 AM

Oct 2014
well digibros videos are very hit or miss for me
some of his analisis are interesting but the fact that he seems unable to wrap up his thoughts in less than 20 minutes and constantly repeats himself it makes his videos really boring
May 28, 2016 10:27 AM

Feb 2015
i don't like it somehow. analyses anime, fiding the flaws, what's good and what's bad about it, i'm not into something like that.
i prefer chibi https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfGmaA-nXPryTfimsnkLieQ
or for the funny one, TheAnimeMan.
May 28, 2016 10:30 AM

Sep 2013
Thanks for making gakusen toshi asterisk popular in the west.
And it's funny he had to backtrack and start praising Rakudai when he implied it was trash XD
May 28, 2016 10:30 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
I don't mind him but too many times he thinks that his opinion = fact. And he won't change it no matter what. But he does some interesting content. As long as it is not about particular series.
May 28, 2016 10:31 AM

Aug 2015
Tevens said:
i don't like it somehow. analyses anime, fiding the flaws, what's good and what's bad about it, i'm not into something like that.

chibi = he is a joke
the anime man = i think he focus more on japanese culture aspect then anime reviews
May 28, 2016 10:33 AM

Aug 2015
well gigguk is back all others so called anime reviewers can fuck themselves now
May 28, 2016 10:35 AM

Feb 2015
ultravigo said:
Tevens said:

chibi = he is a joke
the anime man = i think he focus more on japanese culture aspect then anime reviews

joke ? what do you mean ?
yeah....but at least sometimes he talks about anime if he found interesting news about it.
YizelTroMay 28, 2016 10:39 AM
May 28, 2016 10:47 AM

Oct 2014
gabrielrroiz said:

the problem with animeeveryday that he just present lists with good titles but never explains his reasonings and what is good about these shows so there is very little content in his videos

He usually has in-depth videos for most of his favorites. His list videos are superficial.

Digi is polemic as fuck, likes to talk a lot when there's little to say and uses gonzo journalism to justify his lack of tact. He's also comes out as a snob, acting high and mighty and asking to be entertained.

He also cares too much about how people think about him.

But when he decides to make quality videos they are pretty good videos. The cute girls anime one for example was pretty informative.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 28, 2016 11:11 AM

Apr 2014
In the end, he's just that one anime youtuber, same old same old.
If I actually looking for in-depth review, MAL is still a far better place.
May 28, 2016 11:12 AM

Aug 2015
Best analyst on Youtube, lol. He really likes what he does and he puts effort into it.
There are no analyst on Youtube other than him anyway.
May 28, 2016 11:16 AM

Mar 2014
I like is long videos because I can just play them in the background while I play games or something. I usually agree with him or at least feel he argued his point well. He's just as biased as anyone else but actually acknowledges it. Overall, his approach to media is exactly the same is mine so of course I'm going to like his videos. As for presenting his opinion as fact, literally everyone does that, especially on MAL, you shouldn't have to put a disclaimer before everything to avoid triggering people.
May 28, 2016 11:18 AM

Mar 2014
He's a K-on fag who secretly wants to suck TAS' dick and drops too much anime

I don't find his analyses one bit impressive and his videos are overall very boring (except for his Boku Dake ga Inai Machi review just because it was fun to see all them edgy fanboys getting their panties in a twist)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 28, 2016 11:23 AM

May 2015
Annoying than the most annoying character I have ever seen on anime(There are lots but he manages to get on top). I wouldn't stay and watch his LONG VIDEOS that sounds repetitive and basic. An idiot that over complicates simple things just to sound smart. If I need reviews and other stuff related to anime. MAL and ANN can provide.

It's not just his opinions I hate. It's just how he expresses it that makes me angry . He made 2 rant video series dedicated to specifically hating on anime from A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online and The Asterisk War). If anything, that's a clear sign of bias, which is not surprising since the guy believes nostalgia is important in anime. Also, this guy needs to know that not all anime are going to be like The Asterisk War. We had a lot of good anime like One Punch Man and Death Parade in 2015, so not all anime is generic. This douchebag just needs to stop hating and shut up about anime he hates. Finally, IF YOU SEE AN ANIME YOU KNOW YOU'RE NOT GOING TO LIKE, THEN DON'T WATCH IT! In fact, he put a link to The Asterisk War on Crunchyroll, which is actually promoting the show rather than telling people to stay away from it. His "Your Favorite Anime Sucks" series are the stupidest things I have ever seen from Digibro.
zurgboy00May 28, 2016 11:28 AM
May 28, 2016 11:29 AM

Sep 2015
Not a fan there are many better anime youtubers
Your next line is "I was just pretending to be retarded".
May 28, 2016 11:30 AM

Mar 2016
Meh. Digibro dwells a lot on each point of a show to the point of making 12 videos on why an anime sucks and makes his videos kinda boring. You can marathon an anime instead of watching that . he's a bit too negative about some shows imo . He showed some good analysis in a couple videos though. I liked how he explained Tetsurou Araki's success in anime industry. But that's just it.
Shishou_23May 28, 2016 11:34 AM
May 28, 2016 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
LowOfSolipsism said:
Best analyst on Youtube, lol. He really likes what he does and he puts effort into it.

Check out Pause and Select, you might be surprised.

There are good anime analysts on Youtube (AnimeEveryday is another). They just aren't controversial like Digi, so they don't get views.
May 28, 2016 12:11 PM

Aug 2015
Wensbane said:
LowOfSolipsism said:

Check out Pause and Select, you might be surprised.

There are good anime analysts on Youtube (AnimeEveryday is another). They just aren't controversial like Digi, so they don't get views.

AnimeEveryday doesn't make analysis videos like Digi at all.
I haven't heard about Pause and Select though, gonna check it out.
May 28, 2016 12:14 PM

Oct 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
Lobinde said:

Can't say I've had that problem with him. He seems to explain his opinions on things in a concise manner.
May 28, 2016 5:44 PM

May 2016
ichii_1 said:
And it's funny he had to backtrack and start praising Rakudai when he implied it was trash XD

Well, when you find a coiled-up doggy turd on the sidewalk and call it "stinky," and then you walk further down the street and spot a miniaturized crime against nature left behind by an unknowable Lovecraftian horror loafing in the sun, you begin to regret assigning the label "stinky" to the former when it clearly more properly belongs to the latter.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 28, 2016 5:45 PM

Sep 2015
His analysis are excellent. I have a 90% compatibility with him because I always agree with what he's saying.

Here's a link to those who still think that Digibro is biased. It's not a video.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BQ2QIRVZpsWfRCuftZ4XB3EHPc60sqmjOgZqAoTbWZQ/edit

Rarity is Best Pony!
May 28, 2016 5:55 PM

Jan 2016
he's cool. Some of his videos are phenomenal:

His explanation and love for the Ghost in the Shell series
Anime vs Cartoon
Best year for anime

Some of his analysis is great but he's more of a old school anime viewer and I prefer newer anime. Watch him from time to time.
May 28, 2016 6:08 PM

Apr 2015
He is alright In my book.

I don't really have any strong feelings towards many of these "online persona's".
May 28, 2016 6:34 PM

Dec 2015
He makes some interesting points to think about sometimes, but most of his stuff is just basic facts or purely subjective opinions disguised as deep analysis by using pretentious and unnecessary long explanations. Just like doing a 15-minutes long video just about the opening scene of Kill La Kill, although the "analysis" mostly consists of describing the scene frame by frame like if he was trying to explain it to a dumb blind 5year old, and saying that each frame demonstrate the true genius of Trigger, juste because.

In general, i have the same problem with him than with most self-proclaimed anime "critiques". To me they generally sound like people with an anime inferiority complex; they look like they to justify liking a medium considered as dumb and/or childish by overanalysing it in order to make it pass for a deep and revolutionary form of art. I mean, it sounds better to say that you love Fate/Zero because you like the truely nihilistic approach rather than because it has badass action and nice looking animation right?
Same with K-on, i love the show but honestly his "K-on loving thesis" just sounds like a self-justification for liking a feel-good moe anime by describing it as a misunderstood masterpiece with god tier writing, so subtle that only him understood the underlying deep themes.
May 28, 2016 6:59 PM

Mar 2014
QABJAB said:
His analysis are excellent. I have a 90% compatibility with him because I always agree with what he's saying.

Here's a link to those who still think that Digibro is biased. It's not a video.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BQ2QIRVZpsWfRCuftZ4XB3EHPc60sqmjOgZqAoTbWZQ/edit
pretty much, most people have only seen his ass war, erased, and SAO videos because they're the most popular and think he hates on everything and can't enjoy shows.
May 28, 2016 7:04 PM

May 2016
It does kinda baffle me that people are always like "RABBLE RABBLE DIGIBRO HATES EVERYTHING HE ONLY BADMOUTHS ANIME RABBLE RABBLE" when it's plainly obvious that, for every video he makes bashing one anime, he makes two videos praising others. A bunch of his dedicated review videos are for series he likes, and he's done a shitload of things like his "A Loving Thesis on K-On!" or "Everyone is Badass in Durarara!" and "Look at This Long List of Videos I Made About How Awesome Evangelion is and I'll Also Spend Several Videos Gushing About Anno Hideaki Because I Think He's a Goddamn Genius" videos.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 28, 2016 8:44 PM

May 2015
90% of youtube anime reviewers aren't really worth watching, and it's hard to find time for even the ones worth. So I especially don't *regularly* watch any of them

I have no opinion on Digibro I just wanted to say that
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 28, 2016 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
His videos are really hit or miss. Half the time he's right on and half the time he comes off as really snobby or rambling without making any specific points.

Some of his analysis videos on things he likes will accentuate the positive to an insane degree, like his K-on one where he describes fairly basic characterization and character development as being masterful for about 40 minutes. Whereas some other things like Erased it sounds like he didn't even give a chance and assigns all kinds of weird motives to the show that aren't actually present. I don't even like Erased very much at all (I gave it a 4) but it sounds like he had his mind made up about it from square one.

Or his video on 3x3's where he criticizes people for putting certain shows on their chart to look a certain way, when he hasn't even finished the majority of the shows he mentions in that video. He's not qualified to make that judgement.
May 28, 2016 9:28 PM

Jan 2009
i only saw some of his video like the gurren lagann and kill la kill analysis as well as the video about the golden year of anime which is 2007 and those 2 videos are well analyze and are great imo, but i do not know much about majority of his video analysis though so i do not really know if he is really good or not

im not a fan of video bloggers anyway
May 28, 2016 9:37 PM

May 2016
ichii_1 said:

Didn't he still consider Rakudai bad?.. If I remember in his video stated that its just less trash when compared to Asterisk, but still trash.
May 28, 2016 9:43 PM

Dec 2015
I think people get too offended over the shit he says about anime series tbh. We don't have the same taste in anime, as far as favorites go, but I enjoy the way he articulates his praise as well as criticisms for certain shows. I'm not really into watching anime reviewers honestly, but him, bobsamurai, and black critic guy can be more entertaining than others.

Also, in his videos he clearly states how his reviews are based on his own opinions, so idk why there are people who say "he sees his opinions as facts". lol I can't remember the last time he explicitly said that or even subtly implied it.
Banner credit to @turnip
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

70 by omorashi »»
10 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
14 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

34 by joseifan »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

125 by logopolis »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.