Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2016 7:35 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
More flashbacks this chapter..and imo, a rather creepy one too especially about Tooru and Minomi :o
Still not a big fan of him though and I hope the story's pacing picks up a bit.
Stark700May 28, 2016 7:42 AM
May 28, 2016 7:42 AM

Jul 2014
That was actually pretty cool... them torso arms tho.
May 28, 2016 7:44 AM

Aug 2010
Another flashback and this time in full chapter. It's pretty creepy tho'.
May 28, 2016 7:44 AM

Aug 2014
Pretty meh chapter, and Mitsuki being alive is disappointing, to say the least.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
May 28, 2016 7:45 AM

Apr 2015
When I heard that this will be a flashback episode I was disappointed. I wanted the main story to move forward. But this flashback was creepy and very Tokyo ghoul-ish so I kind of liked it. If Mutsuki survives (I'm sure she will) I wonder what would the CCG do to her. I think Urie will save her and let her go and tell the CCG she is dead or she wasn't there.
May 28, 2016 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Inb4 "Ishida just dedicate a whole chapter of flashback to a character which I don't give a damn about"
May 28, 2016 8:05 AM
May 2016
ma103 said:
Inb4 "Ishida just dedicate a whole chapter of flashback to a character which I don't give a damn about"

Instead of saying that, I think it would be rather constructive to mutsuki's character development, if its ishida's will. Why, as in the chapter mutsuki was touched by torso's tragical story and may somehow make a twisted perspective about every of her expriences, incluing her past and at CCG. Also i think the pacing is rather fast in recent chapters so slowing a bit would be really okay.
May 28, 2016 8:09 AM

Nov 2010
And yet another tragic backstory. I`m so sick of them.
May 28, 2016 8:11 AM

May 2011
Why every tg character has to be abused by their parents ? And Torso's story is fucked up beyond limits lol I really don't like flashbacks but this one is amazing, we got to know where Torso's habit came from, and Mutsuki is alive, right ?
May 28, 2016 8:14 AM
Sep 2014
Kid Torso -- oooh so cute. He will become handsome guy someday

Adult Torso -- fuck... What the hell happen??

Enough with the joke. Torso's past is fucked up. I didnt know he has a past like that. What a bastard father he has.

PS : That last page is so creeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy
May 28, 2016 8:22 AM
Sep 2013
Torso Backstory had to admit it was tragic and cold. Still cant get any sympathy but I see why he is the way he is. What interests me the most when Mutsuki said that couldn't remember what happen to his family. I feel like that will be answered. If he did crack and murder his family and did the same thing to Torso and made him into a Torso. Torso creepy long arms tho.
May 28, 2016 8:27 AM

Oct 2013
so we got to know torso's past, pretty meh chapter tbh
May 28, 2016 8:28 AM

Apr 2014
Alright now that was a great flashback. Ishida should do chapters like these more often for the side characters long before they get killed off.

It fleshed out Torso's character and made him look so much better in my eyes (Despite all the crimes he's committed). I really felt bad for that poor little girl when she got eaten by Torso's piece of shit father. She had a shit life like Torso based on the bruises shown and her short time with Torso was probably the happiest moment for both of them. And it's not much of a wonder Torso ended up being a nutcase after experiencing such a horrible and tragic childhood.

Anyways, this is probably the first time a Tokyo ghoul chapter made me feel sick and disgusted in a good way..
May 28, 2016 8:33 AM

Oct 2014
Really good chapter. Hopefully torso lives for a while longer. He also looks very malnourished.
May 28, 2016 8:43 AM
Jul 2013
Fantastically brutal chapter, the girl in Torso's backstory reminds me of Aiko from Oyasumi Punpun.
May 28, 2016 8:44 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty good chapter. Liked the flashback of Torso, disgusting in a good means.
And that last page ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

May 28, 2016 8:52 AM

Aug 2010
I actually loved this backstory. Shouta Torso was a cute.

Minomi's design is probably one of my fav of girls in TG. She's adorable. What happened to her was so disgusting, that f***n POS of a dad UGGGHHHH.

Mutsuki's monologue of sympathizing with him a bit and her planning something definitely shows that she escaped somehow.

Dat last page tho...DEM ARMS!!!

Anyway Flashback so RIP Torso. I actually will miss u
May 28, 2016 9:11 AM

Feb 2015
Can one person have a non-tragic backstory for once? Sometimes people do bad things for no reason other than they can or want to. Sheesh.

Looks like Mutsuki isn't dead. It'd be kind of pointless to kill him (her?) after building all this up.
May 28, 2016 9:21 AM
Oct 2015
That girl Torso was attached to in the past hair looks exactly like Mutsuki and she was abused similar to Mutsuki so I guess that explains why he's obsessed.
May 28, 2016 9:22 AM

May 2015
Well, side character flashback indicates death, so goodbye Torso! Anyways, I'd compain about another character having a tragic backstory, but I think it was actually essential to understand Torso's habit of dismembering people the way he does.

May 28, 2016 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
I am pretty sure Torso actually killed that girl himself, he just don't remember doing it like he said, he got memory problem.

May 28, 2016 9:27 AM

Oct 2014
@rayeine I get what you're saying but I think in a world like Tokyo ghoul tragic things like that are bound to happen especially if you're a ghoul. Many ccg members are normal people (some are bad just because)

As far as we know the clowns and tsukiyama (used to) so bad things just because
May 28, 2016 9:34 AM
Apr 2014
More parents abuse
That was tragic as fuck
Seems like Ishida is going the boring route with Mutsuki going Shironeki 2.0
May 28, 2016 9:58 AM
Jan 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
I am pretty sure Torso actually killed that girl himself, he just don't remember doing it like he said, he got memory problem.

Maybe but the one with memory problem in this chapter is Mutsuki.She doesn't remember what happened to her parents(or at least that's what she said)
Mutskuki isn't dying yet,not before we find out what really happened to her parents

Young Torso was cute
May 28, 2016 10:15 AM
Jan 2011
I really like how Ishida develops characters, Torso's character was explained really well.Also, in the Tokyo Ghoul 2016 calendar, this week there was a day where Torso wrote a love letter to Mutsuki, saying he wanted to take Tooru to the ocean, like he wanted with Minomi :( I suspected Torso was going to die, but his flashback now gives me a 100% chance he will actually die in this arc. His mind is already fucked up because of Minomi's loss and the condition her body was left, but deep down, he was a good guy somehow :(.
yonebayashiMay 28, 2016 10:18 AM
May 28, 2016 10:56 AM

Dec 2014
-Mutsuki remembering her past, in the interrogation room of the CCG. Meanwhile, Torso is looking at her. She's being cunning here, making him focus on other tasks so as not to get hit by him so she can last until CCG comes.

-His father looks like quite an unpleasant man, he put Torso under a lot of restrictions and probably killed his mother. He looked really cute when he was little, such a huge contrast to what he looks like now. That little girl looks like Shirazu's sister to me. He's funny, scared of walking on concrete. He was happy playing with her, and she taught him how to read, like Ukina taught Kuzen. She also had an 'unpleasant family'.

-His father somehow found out about the little girl. He's running after his father so he doesn't kill Minomi, whilst Minomi is running away from her family because they hurt her too much this time. Wrong move, bringing her to the tent. He's really funny, not being able to fall asleep with her by his side.

-As expected she got killed, but I didn't expect Torso to be able to kill his father, physically I mean. So that's how he got his fascination with torsos. In reallity, he isn't that bad, or atleast his feeling behind what he does. But that doesn't redeem him in any way. Mutsuki, not that I like you, but try not to get Stockholm syndrome, don't symphatize, he's the enemy.

-Oh shit, waddup, ET is going to take her to the sea. That panel looks really funny to me.

Overall, I didn't really care about Torso enough to want to know his backstory this chapter, especially considering the cliffhanger we got the last chapter, but this, this was a really nice flashback chapter.
May 28, 2016 11:06 AM

Jan 2015
Ehh not really surprised about Torso considering this is Ishida, so that means nearly every character's tragic backstory needs to include their parents in one way or another.

Mutsuki's alive for whatever reason, like seriously nearly 80 chapters into Re and I feel like she has the same amount of development as Saiko who's had less screentime.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 28, 2016 11:16 AM
Apr 2015
I actually liked this chapter, and can't understand why everyone just wants to "get back to the main story." To me, these last chapters with Kaneki and the anteiku group have been the worst of both mangas, being unimaginative, cliche, and especially pandering. I'm personally glad they segued out away from Cochlea, and can come back later, instead of rushing to an ending on an arc that was already bad.
May 28, 2016 11:36 AM

Jan 2010
This is just an ok chapter, pretty creepy flashback, but it didn't do much to make me care about Torso. Mitsuki being alive is a bit whatever, can't really say I am surprised with all the pandering that has been going on in TG:re.
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

May 28, 2016 11:42 AM

Apr 2016
Torso's past was rather sad... He lived without hope and met a friend. But that friend was then eaten by his father... :( If this didn't happen, he wouldn't be Torso today... I hope Mutsuki lives.
May 28, 2016 12:08 PM
Sep 2014
I want to be a torso when i grow up :)
May 28, 2016 12:53 PM
Jan 2016
Since Ishida showed Torso's backstory this time does that confirm he's the dead body Urie discovered , right ?? Damn these cliffhangers week in week out are killing me :(

Oh and btw what Torso went on to do after having such a childhood doesn't excuse anything, I expected much worse tbh but I guess most ghouls are supposed to be messed up from the get go.
May 28, 2016 1:01 PM

Apr 2014
breaker_not said:
Oh and btw what Torso went on to do after having such a childhood doesn't excuse anything, I expected much worse tbh but I guess most ghouls are supposed to be messed up from the get go.

Did you miss the point of this chapter? He wasn't messed up from the get go.
May 28, 2016 1:07 PM
Jan 2016
Z4k said:
breaker_not said:

Did you miss the point of this chapter? He wasn't messed up from the get go.

He probably wasn't, its obvious the psychological terror he endured over the years played a part, but changing completely into a psycopath after such an event shows he never had a chance to live a normal life in the first place.
May 28, 2016 1:09 PM
Mar 2014
Mutsuki and Torso's dynamic is one of the most enjoyable things about :re imo
So this was a good chapter
May 28, 2016 1:21 PM

Oct 2009
Phenomenal chapter. I was left a bit sour after chapter 76. Kaneki's sudden powerup and transition back to white hair was stupid. Nice to see Ishida can still tell beautiful stories. After TG I'd love to see Ishida do something similar to Asano Inio. Ishida is better with drama than shounen.

5/5 chapter

I hope we stay at Rue island. Kaneki is kind of boring at this point tbh. It's the same bullshit over and over with the guy. I want to focus on the others.
lucjanMay 28, 2016 1:24 PM

May 28, 2016 2:25 PM

Aug 2014
Another guy with daddy issues huh? Anyways, this chapter turned out to be way more enjoyable than I thought it would. This flashback was all kinds of fucked up, at least Torso kept his promise about learning how to drive by becoming a taxi driver :')

That last page with Torso though xD
KashKetchumMay 28, 2016 2:34 PM
May 28, 2016 2:39 PM

Mar 2016
Flashback now is a good change of pace. The last page, would you interpret it literally? Or as a way to show Mutsuki's current situation in general?
Well, hopefully next chapter we'll see Tooru in action (or as a center of it). I honestly hope that he doesn't need to free himself on his own. It'd be more interesting if he got saved (by Urie, cough, cough) rather than repeating Kaneki' route.
yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
May 28, 2016 3:09 PM
Aug 2012
Damn Ishida you God. I wanted Arima, but this was pretty good.
May 28, 2016 3:12 PM
Aug 2012
lucjan said:
Phenomenal chapter. I was left a bit sour after chapter 76. Kaneki's sudden powerup and transition back to white hair was stupid. Nice to see Ishida can still tell beautiful stories. After TG I'd love to see Ishida do something similar to Asano Inio. Ishida is better with drama than shounen.

5/5 chapter

I hope we stay at Rue island. Kaneki is kind of boring at this point tbh. It's the same bullshit over and over with the guy. I want to focus on the others.

Not hard to figure out. Kaneki took control of his Kakuja and his hair went white because he was sliced a ton of times. Literally makes sense, if you use logic. This is a seinen manga, not shonen. Apart from that, I actually wouldn't mind more manga like this. Hope he keeps it up.
May 28, 2016 3:25 PM

Aug 2014
I am so fucking sick of this shit. Oh he had a tragic past and we can sympathize with the rapist like he isn’t a disgusting piece of trash. Like previous abuse somehow justifies the actions of an abuser. i am so sick of this particular trope being repeated in TG for every single fucking character.
May 28, 2016 4:03 PM

Dec 2015
I wonder if torso ever cosplayed as Jack Skellington in his older years? He'd be amazing at it with that body/look of his.

Mutsuki following Kaneki in being de-limbed, damn!
May 28, 2016 4:34 PM

Jul 2009
Wow. This was so fucked up and yet so beautiful !
To dedicate a whole chapter and this really good flashback to a character such as Torso and it actually makes the reader feel compassion towards him.
I take my hat off to you Ishida-sensei !
May 28, 2016 5:52 PM

Sep 2014
I hope the pacing stays this way honestly. Chapters like these are crucial for the story. :re isn't only all about Kaneki
May 28, 2016 6:28 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Torso's past is disturbing but it felt like it was lacking something, though I don't know what it is. Maybe it might be the placement of this chapter, as, structurally wise, it feels out of place. Anyways, I still don't see any reason to sympathize with the guy, so neither should Mutsuki.

2/5
May 28, 2016 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
wow i actually liked this chapter a lot.
Torso flashback was very sad and actually explains pretty well why he turn out like this. I wasn't expecting to actually feel sympathy for someone like him, so good job Ishida for that. That said, i still hope Urie kills him ^^
May 28, 2016 7:21 PM

Dec 2011
Would not be surprised if Torso was the one who carved up Minomi first, and just didn't include it in his flashback - might've even helped himself to a midnight snack. As others have mentioned, it doesn't really make sense for him to become that twisted after such a singular event unless there was something wrong with him from the beginning.
May 28, 2016 7:32 PM
Jun 2014
At the end of chapter 77, there was that torso covered in a white sheet that Urie found, so I'm pretty sure that it was Tooru's body because when she was with Karao she was always wrapped in a white sheet, plus she called out Urie's name. I assume that this chapter is telling us what happened before Tooru was dismembered since the last page of chapter 78 shows Karao looming over a surprised tooru.
May 28, 2016 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
I am surprised Tooru hasn't break yet. How compassionate can she be.
May 29, 2016 12:33 AM

Jul 2014
You fluffs that liked the edge fest of the last 5 months over this, yes you... you're all completely adorable. At least this edge had taste.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.