Forum Settings
Forums

Tennouji Nae (Steins;Gate VN spoilers) why couldn't Okabe Rintaro just..

New
May 25, 2016 9:30 PM

Jul 2015
This is in Chapter 9 of the Visual Novel of Steins;Gate (not steins;gate 0.. this part is not included in the anime)

Tennouji Nae claims to have killED Okabe Rintaro 15 years from now just when Mr. Braun (his father, Tennouji Yuugo a.k.a FB) shot himself in the head and Nae from the future knew Okabe and Moeka was involved and spent literally 2738 leaps just to kill Moeka because apparently she is not satisfied with her dying merely by suicide..

Like I understand the whole "innocent little girl turns out to be a twisted psycho from the future" twist to get the plot mindblowing but why couldn't Okabe get Nae to realize that he's doing this for MAYURI? Mayuri, the girl Nae looked up to, befriended with at a young age.. I mean if that wasn't an act (it certainly is not, I've confirmed Nae leaped right before his father's suicide) I hate it SOMETIMES when Okabe doesn't justify a situation or explain the most crucial explanation of circumstances.

Or was this all pointless because he sent a D-mail ordering Moeka as FB (braun's phone) not to search for IBN 5100 and changed the worldline?
lawlietscakeMay 25, 2016 9:44 PM
Yep. This is my signature.
May 25, 2016 9:37 PM

Mar 2015
who will belive something that sound like imagination? like "your father is controled by people who want to make time travel machine faster than me?"
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 25, 2016 9:45 PM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:
who will belive something that sound like imagination? like "your father is controled by people who want to make time travel machine faster than me?"
We're talking about a Nae who leaped 15 years from now surely she'll understand since she even tortured Okabe himself and stabbed him multiple times knowing what he did
May 25, 2016 10:06 PM

Mar 2015
giita57 said:
Kuma said:
We're talking about a Nae who leaped 15 years from now surely she'll understand since she even tortured Okabe himself and stabbed him multiple times knowing what he did
isn't even make her better tool? a child who know nothing get blinded by hatred is in the side that know how to use things.. she work on cern now... higher-up can provoke her a little and she will simply being their dolls..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 25, 2016 10:16 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

It was a bit out of left field, and although it was an interesting part, when I watched the anime, it didn't feel like there was anything missing.

With the visual novel itself, yeah, it would be hard to explain on the spot, especially to someone who had spent 15 years looking for her father's murderer.
May 26, 2016 5:19 AM

Jan 2013
I think the problem is more that her dad died at a young age than Mayuri dying. You wouldn't be likely to say "sure, if my dad's suicide is what it takes to save one of my friends, then I'm okay with that." Moreover, Nae is always afraid of Okabe outside of the event, so knowing that he and his friend were directly responsible for her dad dying would have driven her even farther into revenge.

Anyway it's one of those secret fucked up endings sci;adv likes to do
May 26, 2016 2:09 PM

Oct 2012
Er... If someone is threating you to stab you with a knife with pure wish to kill will you try to explain yourself to the murderer instead of just like, get away?

Anyway, because Okabe was already too aware of how the worldline works, it doesn't matter the crap Okabe says to Nae or not, the future cannot be changed, that's why Nae herself doesn't try to really kill Okabe again in the past because she already knew as well as him that if she really tried to do so, something would happen to prevent Okabe to be dead by Nae's hands, until the day the "world" itself wants him dead, and that's the Alpha worldline.
May 27, 2016 8:29 AM

Jul 2015
CursedFein said:
Er... If someone is threating you to stab you with a knife with pure wish to kill will you try to explain yourself to the murderer instead of just like, get away?

If you think about it, wouldn't it be better to calm a kid with an issue by explaining them the situation instead of running away or not saying anything? I mean, Okabe didn't even run away. He just interrogated Nae for answers regarding her identity. Besides, Okabe is physically superior. He knew about his invulnerability. He could have used that knowledge to explain something important to her instead of asking questions or time leaping over and over just to prevent her from seeing her father dead.

My point is, even if it would just end up being an excuse, it will at least clarifying things with her so she'd know Okabe's real motive. Of course this isn't going to change the fact that he's involved with his father's dead in that particular worldline, so you may be right. It'd probably be meaningless whatever he says to her. But he has been trying to change worldlines as smooth as possible. Like dating Lukako instead of directly sending the D-mail without saying anything.. etc. That little detail completely contradicts everything he's done so far (in the true ending route). Explaining something important to her shouldn't have hurt.

At least rather than constantly time leaping to stop Nae from seeing her father dead when he knows it's pointless, "I did it for Mayuri" we never know what kind of reaction would transpire enough to say it is not worth a try
May 27, 2016 12:02 PM

Oct 2012
giita57 said:
CursedFein said:

If you think about it, wouldn't it be better to calm a kid with an issue by explaining them the situation instead of running away or not saying anything? I mean, Okabe didn't even run away. He just interrogated Nae for answers regarding her identity. Besides, Okabe is physically superior. He knew about his invulnerability. He could have used that knowledge to explain something important to her instead of asking questions or time leaping over and over just to prevent her from seeing her father dead.

My point is, even if it would just end up being an excuse, it will at least clarifying things with her so she'd know Okabe's real motive. Of course this isn't going to change the fact that he's involved with his father's dead in that particular worldline, so you may be right. It'd probably be meaningless whatever he says to her. But he has been trying to change worldlines as smooth as possible. Like dating Lukako instead of directly sending the D-mail without saying anything.. etc. That little detail completely contradicts everything he's done so far (in the true ending route). Explaining something important to her shouldn't have hurt.

At least rather than constantly time leaping to stop Nae from seeing her father dead when he knows it's pointless, "I did it for Mayuri" we never know what kind of reaction would transpire enough to say it is not worth a try

She's not a kid lol, she was 25 years old by the time she joined SERN and killed Okabe, she only appears to be a kid again after all those leaps but her mind was still the same of the girl that lived only for the sake of revenge after knowing of her father's dead, if anything her mind was probably even more unstable by the time she did all those leaps over and over, Okabe actually goes through this in Suzuha's ending.

I really don't understand why this bothers you, Nae was completely unaware of anything that happened by then, she lived a common life like any other student, even if Okabe told her about it, what makes you think Nae would even believe that? Mayuri was not even dead yet, Nae's father was everything for her, even if Mayuri was also an important person for her, due to those circumstances she probably didn't even know by then that Mayuri was killed, and even if she knew, she joined the same organitzation that actually killed Mayuri, so there's no reason for Nae to believe what Okabe had to say in the matter (which is not something you can even attempt to explain in 10 minutes), and even if she believes him, she was already far from being a sane person that you can reason with words.
CursedFeinMay 27, 2016 12:05 PM
May 27, 2016 6:56 PM

Jul 2015
[quote=CursedFein message=46213018]
giita57 said:
CursedFein said:

I know. Still, Okabe should've tried.
May 28, 2016 8:04 AM
Jul 2015
Do you realize that Nae worked in SERN before leaping? Since SERN knows that Okabe is trying to save Mayuri, she also has to know. She wants to expend ETERNITY leaping in time just for killing Moeka and torturing Okabe over and over. Do you think you would convince her of anything?

May 28, 2016 9:12 PM

Jul 2015
Shinjisus said:
Do you realize that Nae worked in SERN before leaping? Since SERN knows that Okabe is trying to save Mayuri, she also has to know. She wants to expend ETERNITY leaping in time just for killing Moeka and torturing Okabe over and over. Do you think you would convince her of anything?

Dude. Okabe really fucked up morally. He was trying to be the nice guy all the time and now he won't say something simple? Just to remind Nae who've already fallen in despair. Personally I would not give up on that just cuz I know it's pointless. And Okabe's DONE THAT numerous times in the VN with his recklessness. If you remember the intro, you'd recall him saying "if I could tell myself bla bla bla about the past I'd tell him don't be reckless!" something like that

Well if she's batshit crazy already no saving that, but I still would try. I am definitely more determined than Okabe, I find his weakness unbearable. Too much flaws in his character sometimes. And people fail to notice that. Instead, they try to hug his persona and ignore his mistakes. Re-read my previous messages and try to understand in a different view would you?
*inb4 this gets misinterpreted as h8 on okabe

It's no bother. Been like days since I got over the VN and reached the true ending. Everything's cleansed. And that worldline never happened.

edit: Oh and I've completed this shit long ago I just never went through the other endings so I never knew about Nae.. as I don't really remember if that whole Nae thing happened on the anime. Idk, might be just me.
lawlietscakeMay 28, 2016 9:22 PM
May 28, 2016 9:35 PM

Jan 2013
giita57 said:
Dude. Okabe really fucked up morally.
Let me remind you, this was the Okabe that had only a few hours prior pinned Moeka down and kissed her to make it look like she was getting fucked, so her neighbours wouldn't care if she was making a lot of noise, all while trying to steal her cellphone and send a message with it to save Mayuri. Okabe's weakness not only makes the story more satisfying, it's realistic. He could give two damns at this point what happens since he's time leaped to the point where he doesn't even care about the people around him unless they're crucial to solving the Alpha Attractor Field loop.

If you were in his situation you would become desensitized to morals, too.
May 28, 2016 9:50 PM

Jul 2015
Syrup- said:
giita57 said:
Dude. Okabe really fucked up morally.

Listen. This is a route that hasn't actually happened, so nobody knows what happens if Okabe does that. We can only guess that 'most likely' Nae will still maintain her batshit crazy psycho loli form and still be mad at his father due to her traumatizing experience and prioritize that over Mayuri's life and Okabe's determination to save her..

Also, no need to remind me; I literally just read the VN.. but really, forget everything I said. I'm only contradicting myself at this point. I'm not flawless either, and haven't been to his situation. So I'll just back off this time.
edit; but my opinion on Okabe does not change.
lawlietscakeMay 28, 2016 9:56 PM
May 29, 2016 4:49 AM

Oct 2012
giita57 said:
Syrup- said:

Listen. This is a route that hasn't actually happened, so nobody knows what happens if Okabe does that. We can only guess that 'most likely' Nae will still maintain her batshit crazy psycho loli form and still be mad at his father due to her traumatizing experience and prioritize that over Mayuri's life and Okabe's determination to save her..

Also, no need to remind me; I literally just read the VN.. but really, forget everything I said. I'm only contradicting myself at this point. I'm not flawless either, and haven't been to his situation. So I'll just back off this time.

What are you saying? The story of the game starts in the Alpha worldline once Okabe sends his D-mail to Daru, all that hapened then and Okabe struggling to save Mayuri even if he was the only person aware of the changes of the worldlines doesn't change those facts, it's the same with S;G 0, even if all that happened there is rewritten once Okabe
in the True End, that's still the whole reason that Okabe was able to reach the Steins;Gate in the original VN.

About the whole Nae thing, we can speculate that Nae knew or not about Mayuri's death, it's up to you, but it's a fact the she joined SERN just to kill Okabe and then went back to the past to kill Moeka, and she even knew that Moeka comitted suicide after her father did so, but even then Nae doesn't give a fuck thinking that Moeka doesn't deserve to just die so easily that way and after all those years she still wants to kill her with her own hands, and she's enough smart to know that even if Okabe and Moeka were the reason to it they didn't wish for his death, and even so she does all that. It should be enough reason for you to understand that there was no chance for Okabe to save Nae by any means, Okabe was really afraid by the time she saw the new Nae from the future, enough so that he probably didn't even thought for a moment that there was no chance for him to be dead that day, and he already sacrifices Faris and Luka just to be able to save Mayuri's life, which is not really important in Luka's case, but with Faris that meant the death of her father, Okabe was already to the point that he would do anything in order to save Mayuri, and his relationship with Nae was not nothing special, Nae didn't even like him in the first place.
May 29, 2016 8:32 AM

Jan 2013
giita57 said:
Syrup- said:

Aren't you getting a little emotional? I didn't say anything that should make you this defensive.

As for whether it happened or not, you could say everything in the story didn't happen since it's science fiction. Depending on which route you like best, you could say all the others didn't happen by that logic. For me, nothing but the Stardust Sky ending is true since Mayuri doesn't get a happy end unless it's that one. However, that's bullshit, since the story encompasses multiple endings, so they're all legit even if they're not the true ending.

'Literally' just finishing a VN doesn't mean you put two and two together, or looked at the big picture. It seems like your judgment is being passed on something that seems silly if you look at the story from a different position. Saying that Okabe's morals are fucked up, as if that wasn't the entire point of the Moeka chapter, makes me think you didn't understand the story at all.

Even outside of Chapter 9, if we look back just one chapter we see an Okabe that tries to manipulate Luka's feelings in order to give him a reason to erase the D-Mail. Okabe doesn't just suddenly become a monster because he runs away from Nae in Moeka's chapter, it was a massive transition that began since he started using the Time Leap Machine.

Jun 3, 2019 5:02 PM

Jun 2017
Syrup- said:
I think the problem is more that her dad died at a young age than Mayuri dying. You wouldn't be likely to say "sure, if my dad's suicide is what it takes to save one of my friends, then I'm okay with that." Moreover, Nae is always afraid of Okabe outside of the event, so knowing that he and his friend were directly responsible for her dad dying would have driven her even farther into revenge.

yeah,you literally had someone time leap about 3000 times to kill you lol,getting exposed to all the bad effects that does too. that isnt someone you can reason with. and do you really think that she cares about Mayuri more than her father??!! given the choice,ofcourse she would choose her father.

More topics from this board

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Yesterday

2 by DesuMaiden »»
4 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
4 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Yesterday

18 by FanofAction »»
4 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

46 by Firwik_Howlo »»
6 hours ago

» favorite pokemon ( 1 2 )

Fang_Tooth - Jan 21, 2023

55 by Firwik_Howlo »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.