Forum Settings
Forums

Group private messages by user/subject (like forum threads)

New
May 25, 2016 1:20 AM

Dec 2015
Don't know if this already had been suggested. I see a lot of people that prefer profile comments. Maybe we could make private messags a bit more useful.

Currently in the inbox it shows all the individual messagse. I can click on them to open them. When viewing and then in the reply mode it offers to show the whole message history for messages with that subject that you had with that user. (1st message and all the replies usually.)

Now that is a nice thing. You always can look what you talked about earlier - even if you haven't been online for some time and forgot about it.

Problem: If after that you talked with tons of other users the last message with that subject might be on some later pages in the inbox and you'd need to go through these pages and manualyl search for it.

If you just started to message the other person again with a new subject it won't show the old history. You would need to finde one of the old messages.

If we could just group those messages by user/subject it would be much easier. Would also make the inbox look emptier.

Shouldn't be that hard should it? I mean if there alredy is some "message history" all those messages from one user/subject already are generated somehow and it should be possible to just let the last one of these appear in inbox/outbox. (If you opened it you could view the other ones from the history.)

Might just something be needed to hide the other older messages.
May 25, 2016 7:18 AM

Apr 2014
@Luthandorius
Can you make illustration/visuals? I can't imagine what it is.
And I never saw this kind of feature on any forum or even on email.
Maybe your English is bad.
Haters always gonna hate.
May 25, 2016 7:41 AM

Dec 2015
Actually the latest version of Woltlab Burning Board does use afaik "conversations" intead of private messages. There can be more than 2 people participate and it is shown like a thread. But I don't even want to go as far as that.

Would just be enough to hide the older messages with the same subject/user and only show the latest (since there you already can show the previous ones as "message history"). Would make the inbox already a lot more clean and I doubt it would be much effort to implement such a thing.

I will try to make a screenshot and use paint a bit to show the problem ... later maybe when I am in the mood. It isn't like these threads are time limited here ha ha.

Edit: Okay now first I am going to describe the problem again - with screenshots.

Imagine you'd use private messages a lot. And a few days ago you talked to a person named N*****x. You were busy talking to lots of other people and now you finally decide to reply to them. But you don't know about the stuff you talked before anymore. Sou you need to look through your inbox and search all the messages/pages.
https://abload.de/img/1bkqar.png

You found the last message. You open it. There is only that message now.
https://abload.de/img/23squm.png

Conveniently you already can open the message history for the previous messages with that subject/user.
https://abload.de/img/3uloe2.png

It even is shown when replying.
https://abload.de/img/4z4qbj.png

The problem now is: If that last message is hard to find because it has really been a long time ago and you are using PMs a lot (and have tons of pages since then which you'd needed to check back) then it will be inconvenient. And all of those messages from the same subject to/from the same other user take up one entry in the inbox.

Just sending new message to that user won't work The history won't show there cause it is per subject+user and this would create a new subject.
https://abload.de/img/5msq8n.png

So: Why not just hide the older messages and only show for each user+subject combination only the latest message in the inbox? This would be the easiest solution. Would remove entries so the inbox would look more clean and you still could view the older messages from the above mentioned (and shown) message history - since they are still there. Only hidden.

If some people would not like that it could even be made an optional feature. Just a simple filter/checkbox setting.

But I don't have any high hopes for this. Regarding messaging MALs features are pretty poor. Even the forums doesn't have some real editor and you need to manually type the BB code ha ha. (Now don't get me wrong - I really hate WYSIWYG and would not want that but some buttons so you could mark text and then click the button to make some tags appear before and after the marke text - would be nice. But that is for another thread I should make for this.)
LuthandoriusMay 25, 2016 8:10 AM
May 25, 2016 8:18 AM

Apr 2014
@Luthandorius
You mean XenForo forum software?
But it doesn't have this feature you are suggesting.
It just group the messages in a form of thread.

EDIT:
I'm asking for the illustration of how your suggestion would work.
Not what the current status of PM system of MAL.
RayzerMay 25, 2016 8:28 AM
May 25, 2016 8:27 AM

Dec 2015
No Woltlab Burning Board - which is a made by a German developer afaik. One of the 2 biggest fourms softwares (besides vBulletin) that I encountered the most since I started using internet.

The older versions had only private messaging. The newer versions (I could make a screen later) have something basically similar to conversations/groups from messengers (like a mix between them and private messags which whern are shown like a forums thread).

But we don't even need that here. (I think clubs are enough for more than 2 peole talking about something togethe - even if it is not private.)
May 25, 2016 8:44 AM

Apr 2014
@Luthandorius
You gotta be kidding. Maybe just in Germany.
I don't even see a single international site uses that.
Most sites uses vBulletin, SMF, IP Board, and XenForo.
RayzerMay 25, 2016 8:49 AM

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Yesterday

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.