Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
May 24, 2016 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
So, I'm interested and getting into this series, and eventually Crystal when I'm done the main one. Any advice to give?
removed-userMay 24, 2016 7:17 PM
May 24, 2016 7:15 PM

Sep 2015
Ultimate19th said:
Any advice to give?

Don't.You'll regret it, trust me, trust Senpai.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

May 24, 2016 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
-Senpai- said:
Ultimate19th said:
Any advice to give?

Don't.You'll regret it, trust me, trust Senpai.

That's ok if I don't. I have Dragon Ball to keep me company, if that's a good substitute. I'm just interested in the series. Is the fandom bad, or the series (Crystal in particular)
May 24, 2016 7:26 PM

Aug 2012
you should be watching instead of browsing mal looking for advice :P
lel

But you'll still take damage!
May 24, 2016 8:57 PM

Oct 2014
My advice is, just enjoy it. And dont get disappointed. Even though the first season is not the best, after the second it gets more dark and a lot more awesome
why
May 24, 2016 9:29 PM

Jun 2015
Don't ask for advice. Just watch.

Sailor moon. Man that was so long ago.
May 25, 2016 1:12 AM

Jun 2008
Season 1 is the ultimate classic, season 3 is really great, and season 5 is regarded as the best.

Season 4 is regarded as the weakest and CAN be skipped if you feel like it.

Please note, that they use a Monster of the week format so, it is very cliche.

Also, you'll be watching an old anime with old animation and art styles that are not used today that much, so it could take some time getting used to it.

The OST is pretty good.
May 25, 2016 1:18 AM

Oct 2014
I watched the first 19 episodes (I know, not really much data, but whatever) and I found it to be fairly boring. I think Cardcaptor Sakura would be a better substitute than Dragonball. It's not as long, so I'll throw in Full Moon wo Sagashite, Lady Jewelpet, and Nurse Angel Ririka SOS to make up the rest of the 200 episodes.
May 25, 2016 7:11 PM

Feb 2013
Ultimate19th said:
Any advice to give?
I'd turn back if I were you!

Jokes aside... classic has it's "charm" that the Crystal reboot does not have. If I hadn't watched the original I wouldn't be putting up with Crystal. Give it a try if you'd like, just don't expect much.
May 25, 2016 7:20 PM

May 2015
I admit that I watched the originals when I was a kid but seriously I got no advice to give you for that show it doesn't feel the same anymore.So goodluck if you enjoy it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2016 7:45 PM

Jun 2008
I say just watch it to see if it is something you might like. The animation is a bit old, i don't mind it, but some people say old artwork is a deal breaker. Overall if you like it continue to watch, if not then stop.

I loveeee the series because it brings nostalgia <3

By: Gasara @ DeviantArt.com <3
May 25, 2016 7:51 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion
Jun 26, 2016 9:41 PM

Oct 2010
I'm 28 now, just started and am loving it. I saw glimpses of Sailor Moon on Toonami around 2000 and always wanted to watch it, but I was afraid my parents would disapprove of the sexy. (Those transformations, hot damn.) So I have this weird combination of both childhood nostalgia and near-total unfamiliarity.

The one thing I remember most, and have regularly brought to mind over the years as one of the coolest group shots I've ever seen in anything, is about 6 seconds into this Toonami intro. Rewatching it now made me cry a little, it's just too awesome.

I seriously considered watching the old dub because that's what most fans I know will remember, but decided on the sub, with some regret.

I am skipping most of the filler episodes, because that's the right choice for me right now. If I had a fan friend to watch with, I'd watch it all (and would like to do so in future), but as I'm watching alone with a mountain range of other shows to get to, this is best. I'm using this filler guide, which I like better than this one because the author explains *why* each episode is worth watching. I decided on the "all potential episodes" route, but the essential-only route cuts it down to less than 1/3 of its full length. And, sacrilege though it may be, I think that's worth recommending to anyone who may get bogged down in the early material and otherwise never get to what comes later.

It's surreal to finally actually watch this cultural icon. I never knew Sailor Moon was a cowardly "crybaby," so that took some getting used to (and patience). I never expected Mercury would be so cute. And as for Mars, whose transformation I saw for the first time this evening, I can see why Matt of Two Best Friends Play / Super Best Friends Zaibatsu fawns over her. I look forward to likely being surprised by what Jupiter is actually like, after reading wikis four years ago and figuring she might be my favorite.
Jun 27, 2016 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
I'm using that same guide! Right now I've started the Nephrite part, and it's REAL good. And turns out there are some communication devices that show up later which first appear in episode 17 or 16. I'm also using the wiki to see if a random filler episode catches my interest at all.
Jul 1, 2016 1:37 PM
Jun 2016
Go for the Japanese version, but be prepared for some shrill voices. If you plan on watching the dub, go for the Viz version; it's not as bad as everyone thinks, honestly (but not as good as the original version). Also, depending on whether you like filler or not, watch or skip the filler episodes (if they don't detract from the story). If you don't want to watch the filler, find a filler guide.
Jul 1, 2016 1:45 PM
Jun 2016
nDroae said:
I'm 28 now, just started and am loving it. I saw glimpses of Sailor Moon on Toonami around 2000 and always wanted to watch it, but I was afraid my parents would disapprove of the sexy. (Those transformations, hot damn.) So I have this weird combination of both childhood nostalgia and near-total unfamiliarity.

The one thing I remember most, and have regularly brought to mind over the years as one of the coolest group shots I've ever seen in anything, is about 6 seconds into this Toonami intro. Rewatching it now made me cry a little, it's just too awesome.

I seriously considered watching the old dub because that's what most fans I know will remember, but decided on the sub, with some regret.

I am skipping most of the filler episodes, because that's the right choice for me right now. If I had a fan friend to watch with, I'd watch it all (and would like to do so in future), but as I'm watching alone with a mountain range of other shows to get to, this is best. I'm using this filler guide, which I like better than this one because the author explains *why* each episode is worth watching. I decided on the "all potential episodes" route, but the essential-only route cuts it down to less than 1/3 of its full length. And, sacrilege though it may be, I think that's worth recommending to anyone who may get bogged down in the early material and otherwise never get to what comes later.

It's surreal to finally actually watch this cultural icon. I never knew Sailor Moon was a cowardly "crybaby," so that took some getting used to (and patience). I never expected Mercury would be so cute. And as for Mars, whose transformation I saw for the first time this evening, I can see why Matt of Two Best Friends Play / Super Best Friends Zaibatsu fawns over her. I look forward to likely being surprised by what Jupiter is actually like, after reading wikis four years ago and figuring she might be my favorite.

Hey, if I were you, I wouldn't regret watching the sub.
Jul 1, 2016 3:00 PM

Oct 2010
OH MAAAAAN SAILOR JUPITER IS SO COOL I was flipping out so hard yesterday at her first transformation

monsutakado said:
Hey, if I were you, I wouldn't regret watching the sub.

I normally watch almost everything subbed, except occasionally comedies that are reputed to have good dubs. The #1 reason why I picked the sub is I'd read about things being altered/censored in the dub. Wish I could just watch both :P I guess I have a soft spot for bad 90's dubs. And four years ago, I figured it would be fun to put some singers in sailor suits for this video, in which I used the dub... so I'm sad about missing that, but I can always rewatch those scenes in English.

All the Japanese voices sound good to me except Usagi, and she's not the worst I've heard.

I do feel that, aside from being physically attractive, she's like a shoujo equivalent of "otaku self-insert" loser male protagonists...? And bearing that in mind makes it better, but her strength of character, competence, etc. are extremely handicapped, probably more than really necessary to make her relatable. It's great when she's actually allowed to come through and succeed.

(On the other hand, who would recruit schoolgirls to fight and then not give them any defensive options at all?)

It always feels like a waste of time to comment on classics like this, because you know everything you say has been said... in this case likely millions of times before, but oh well :)

I actually do like filler in shows with characters I like, and this obviously is one. I may in the end go back through and watch the filler - I mean, it's basically like all these mid-series OVAs they put out 6 months after the show these days, except it's half the show.

Ultimate19th said:
I'm using that same guide! Right now I've started the Nephrite part, and it's REAL good. And turns out there are some communication devices that show up later which first appear in episode 17 or 16. I'm also using the wiki to see if a random filler episode catches my interest at all.

Nephrite arc was excellent, I was not expecting the show to get that serious so early (I mean early out of all 200 episodes). I should check the wiki too. I missed the introductions of the two college boys. :D
Jul 1, 2016 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
I know, right? Usually anime filler is just a buncha trash (lookin' at you, Garlic Jr. arc), but this series' filler is, for the most part, the most fun stuff I've ever watched.

For Japanese voices, my fav is probably Beryl or Ami. Ami is just so kind and adorable, and Beryl sounds young yet old. Usagi's is really cute IMO, and I can't help but grin when she gets crazy with an emotion. And is it me, or does amino sound like a Japanese Rob Paulsen?

As for the dub it isn't that good to most fans, but at least it kept a good Power Rangers/Ninja Turtles vibe in the process. Like a different show. But I'm sticking with the sub.
Jul 1, 2016 8:09 PM

Oct 2010
Ultimate19th said:
For Japanese voices, my fav is probably Beryl or Ami. Ami is just so kind and adorable, and Beryl sounds young yet old.

Ami's wonderful voice is a huge part of my unexpected adoration. I'm surprised to see that her seiyuu also voiced Belldandy's obnoxious yandere imouto in Ah My Goddess, though on the other hand she also voiced the lovely teacher Minamo in Azumanga Daioh.

Beryl's great, a classic anime matriarch sound.

Yeah, sometimes I think Usagi sounds cute. I just notice the loud moaning more. :D Especially because most of the time I'm using headphones. (My habit is to watch on my tablet while out walking up and down a large grassy hill at sunset, which is a bit ridiculous, but the sunsets do lend a nice ambient aura to this show.)

Who's Amino? I'm actually not familiar with Rob Paulsen - looking at his work, I've barely seen any of it. (I didn't have any form of live TV from 1992 to 1999, and then at that point I mainly watched nature documentary shows and PBS Kids, although there was a brief time when my family had cable and I watched some Cartoon Network/Toonami.)
Jul 3, 2016 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
nDroae said:

Who's Amino? I'm actually not familiar with Rob Paulsen - looking at his work, I've barely seen any of it. (I didn't have any form of live TV from 1992 to 1999, and then at that point I mainly watched nature documentary shows and PBS Kids, although there was a brief time when my family had cable and I watched some Cartoon Network/Toonami.)

I meant Umino, sorry. Rob Paulsen voiced Yakko Warner and Pinky on Animaniacs, Carl Wheezer from Jimmy Neutron, and Donatello from TMNT. Umino's Japanese VA reminds me of Donatello a bit.
Jul 3, 2016 5:31 PM

Oct 2010
I just went back and skimmed through the episodes I skipped (watching some entirely) and noticed that Tuxedo Mask barely ever saves the day in them. The show overall actually looks worse in that way when skipping the filler, because in the essential/recommended episodes it seemed like the girls were hardly ever able to win without him. :D (Edit: Well, that was true in the pre-Jupiter filler... I'm on the post-Jupiter filler now and he's showing up again, cuz he wants them crystals.)

In particular, in episode 17's fight (which starts about 16 minutes in), Sailor Moon is orders of magnitude more competent than usual. She dodges attacks with lightning speed and uses her intelligence to win. That definitely should not be skipped.

Also, episode 20 may look like "the beach episode," but I loved the story of a little girl with psychic powers being manipulated by her vain ambitious father. It was a welcome break from the usual formula. (Not that I have a problem with Monster of the Week, as long as each episode has a good story.) Actually I'd call this episode anti-filler in a way, if "filler" in this context means "youma of the week," because it's really not that.

Edit 2: Not that I dislike Tuxedo Mask... his visions imply something like Jillian (I'd Give My Heart) or maybe more The Fountain / Cloud Atlas. Awesome.

Ultimate19th said:
I meant Umino, sorry. Rob Paulsen voiced Yakko Warner and Pinky on Animaniacs, Carl Wheezer from Jimmy Neutron, and Donatello from TMNT. Umino's Japanese VA reminds me of Donatello a bit.

Yeah, sadly I've never seen those, but I just looked up a clip of Donnie and I hear what you mean :)
nDroaeJul 6, 2016 4:04 PM
Jul 7, 2016 6:16 AM

Feb 2014
i watched some of sailor moon as a kid but decided to rewatch it again minus the silly fillers
Jul 7, 2016 6:40 AM

Dec 2010
min said:
i watched some of sailor moon as a kid but decided to rewatch it again minus the silly fillers

Even though the filler can get tedious, it really contributes to the anime well. You grow to love the characters even know, without them you wouldn't really give a shit about them (see Crystal).
Jul 7, 2016 7:02 AM

Feb 2014
amare135 said:
min said:

Even though the filler can get tedious, it really contributes to the anime well. You grow to love the characters even know, without them you wouldn't really give a shit about them (see Crystal).

makes sense i'll probably just read up and pick some to watch lol ^^
Jul 9, 2016 11:22 PM
Jul 2016
Hi I'm a newbie too, Welcome. You can add me that would be great 😃😃
Hi everybody I'm a newbie. I hope we'll get along well. You can add me that would be great 😃😃
Jul 18, 2016 3:46 PM

Oct 2010
I just finished this first season and Ultimate19th (this thread's OP) is about to; we've been sharing thoughts by PM. We weren't prepared for how much we loved it, even the filler - he ended up going back and watching all of it, and I only skipped through about an hour and a half in the end. I watched everything that had any of the senshi other than Usagi in it (some of those early episodes are the only weak part). Going forward I plan to take as long as needed to watch all of the filler, unless I ever find it particularly banal, which is unlikely considering how much I love the characters.

I'm not sure how many tissues I went through crying at the last two episodes just now. Five, maybe? I didn't even cry once at Steins;Gate.

Sailor Moon is a damn good anime.
Jul 18, 2016 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
nDroae said:
I just finished this first season and Ultimate19th (this thread's OP) is about to; we've been sharing thoughts by PM. We weren't prepared for how much we loved it, even the filler - he ended up going back and watching all of it, and I only skipped through about an hour and a half in the end. I watched everything that had any of the senshi other than Usagi in it (some of those early episodes are the only weak part). Going forward I plan to take as long as needed to watch all of the filler, unless I ever find it particularly banal, which is unlikely considering how much I love the characters.

I'm not sure how many tissues I went through crying at the last two episodes just now. Five, maybe? I didn't even cry once at Steins;Gate.

Sailor Moon is a damn good anime.

It's true, it's all true! I loved it a whole lot, and now it's ranking up with the classic Dragon Ball and Urusei Yatsura among my favorite anime of all time. After I finish off the last 4 episodes, then you'll hear MY total thoughts on the whole thing!
Jul 18, 2016 7:30 PM

Oct 2010
By the way, this guy wasn't even born yet in the 90's, but he loves 80's/90's anime. Respect that. :D

It's pretty funny in retrospect to see the doubt over the prospect of getting in as a beginner, now that we've done that with the first season and it's one of your top 3 anime of all time, while I'd place it around #9 of my favorite anime series. :) Higher than say Gurren Lagann, yep.

-Senpai- said:
Don't. You'll regret it, trust me, trust Senpai.

zurgboy00 said:
I admit that I watched the originals when I was a kid but seriously I got no advice to give you for that show it doesn't feel the same anymore. So goodluck if you enjoy it.

This is a bit sad - we both found it very moving at times, and that feeling would be regrettable to lose.

zombie_pegasus said:
I watched the first 19 episodes (I know, not really much data, but whatever) and I found it to be fairly boring.

That is the weakest part of the season, but if you didn't like it enough to continue, you were probably right to drop it. You could skip the filler... but as amare135 pointed out, without the "filler," you wouldn't care as much about the characters in the main plot episodes, so they won't be as good.
Jul 19, 2016 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
nDroae said:

It's pretty funny in retrospect to see the doubt over the prospect of getting in as a beginner, now that we've done that with the first season and it's one of your top 3 anime of all time, while I'd place it around #9 of my favorite anime series. :) Higher than say Gurren Lagann, yep.

I haven't really watched much anime so I wouldn't say that just yet, but it's not gonna go down from being with my top favorites anytime soon :D
Jul 20, 2016 2:45 PM

Oct 2010
Well, I've watched less than half of everything I want to watch. When I say "of all time" that's of whatever you've seen so far. Granted in my case, the things I like are so specific that generally acclaimed shows I haven't seen are exceedingly unlikely to get into my favorites.

Come to think of it, you probably should have watched more other anime before watching Kill La Kill :D
Jul 24, 2016 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Well, all finished the season... and it was just AWESOME. There was so much ooey gooey everything stuffs in it that I just totally loved it!

The main and recurring characters are vibrant, different and always a treat to see even if it's just plain old wacky Umino or silly crybaby Usagi.

Humor and fun is abundant especially in the filler stuffs which I still managed to find enjoyable: the silly expressions, character trait clashes and some ridiculousness really makes the breathers worthwhile (even making me go back and watch the ones I skipped).

The real meat of the meal is the heroic side: our Guardians! Each one has their own ability (fire, to thunder, to bubbles, and even beams of light), and they usually get the job done with each wildly different youma. The lore behind it all is really good too, and it's gonna be interesting to see other stuff about the Silver Millenium and how the villains that follow in the coming seasons fit into place.

And the emotions: the right balance of drama, sadness, heart, action, humor and overall awesome just hit the mark for me, especially in the episodes from Venus' introduction onwards.

I LOVED this show from start (or close to it) to finish, and I'm HYPED AS HEY to check into the rest of this fine, surprisingly-packed-for-its-intended-demographic series.
Dec 3, 2021 9:11 PM
Dec 2017
Just have fun and be in awe with the incredible story and charm it has.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 26 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 12, 2010

37 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
Apr 20, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

73 by Neemesis_2 »»
Apr 19, 5:43 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 45 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

44 by Neemesis_2 »»
Apr 19, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 44 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

26 by Neemesis_2 »»
Apr 19, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 43 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

22 by Neemesis_2 »»
Apr 18, 4:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.