Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2016 6:58 PM

May 2016
So, I was curious to see what ranked as #1 in popularity on this site and ended up on the page with the rankings based upon viewer score instead. I was pleasantly surprised to see Gintama top the list. Gintama is one of my favorite shows and it's nice to see that people appreciate it. I feel that people who like Gintama are really into Gintama, and it's either a "love it or you haven't seen it" kinda deal. Glad to see everybody appreciate it.

Are you guys surprised that Gintama is ranked at #1?
Lipstick - A Glam Rock Band from Nashville, TN
http://www.lipstickgeneration.com
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 24, 2016 7:02 PM

Sep 2015
A Gintama thread? I-Is this April? Are we on April? Did I came back in time?
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

May 24, 2016 7:04 PM

May 2016
Gintama is like a Willie Nelson song: always on my mind.
May 24, 2016 7:11 PM

Oct 2015
Lol a question as to why Gintama is 1st.
Still think some are better as of right now

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
May 24, 2016 7:22 PM

Jul 2011
At least this isn't a troll thread or one complaining about the top 10, nice.

No, i'm not surprised, i still remember the 9.51 of Gintama' and how much it stayed at the first spot.

Gintama° will lose again the spot to Brotherhood at any time, anyways.
May 24, 2016 7:29 PM

May 2016
I honestly consider it all to be one gigantic series, since they use the same cast, the same background music and similar animation quality. But, the third series is by far the weakest of the bunch. Gintama will be back on in another couple years with another 50 episodes or so. It's a shame Japan hasn't figured out what America figured with Game of Thrones (i.e. when you catch up to the manga you can just ask the author what happens next).
May 24, 2016 7:36 PM

Aug 2015
Two things I want to say:

1."Animes" isn't the plural form of anime. It's plural form is the same "Anime"

2. Try not to take the MAL ratings seriously
May 24, 2016 7:40 PM

May 2016
Z-Dante said:

1. Well shoot, I just lost my anime street cred. At least I don't say "Japanime". Still, I apologize about the grammatical faux pas.

2. I'm not acting like the listing the be all end all of anime ranking lists, but I find it interesting because when I've performed at anime conventions and talked to people about anime, I've found that very few people know about Gintama and to see it ranked so highly is both fascinating and pleasant.
May 24, 2016 7:46 PM

May 2015
Greg_Troyan said:
I feel that people who like Gintama are really into Gintama

Uhm DUH... O.O What else would it be.

I could have sworn there's another thread like this a while back.Besides there are other show's the deserve a better spot than gintama I wouldn't say its bad but there are quite a few out there.Try not to take ratings seriously.The lack of members gintama has made it easy for it to get a high score less opposition.I myself just got bored I couldn't sit and watch all those episodes.

"STILL WAITING FOR THE DAY FMAB CLAIMS ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE AS TOP 1"
zurgboy00May 24, 2016 7:51 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2016 7:47 PM

Aug 2015
Greg_Troyan said:
Z-Dante said:

1. Well shoot, I just lost my anime street cred. At least I don't say "Japanime". Still, I apologize about the grammatical faux pas.

2. I'm not acting like the listing the be all end all of anime ranking lists, but I find it interesting because when I've performed at anime conventions and talked to people about anime, I've found that very few people know about Gintama and to see it ranked so highly is both fascinating and pleasant.
Very few people knowing Gintama is precisely the reason why Gintama is rated so high.

Gintama° has only 80k members where most other anime in the top anime page has 400k+ members. Because of lower number of people disliking it and those who do not like it quit in the earlier prequels, Gintama is high rated by the fans who managed to complete it thus it can get the #1 spot without much of an effort
May 24, 2016 7:50 PM

May 2016
zurgboy00 said:
Greg_Troyan said:
I feel that people who like Gintama are really into Gintama

Uhm DUH... O.O What else would it be.

I could have sworn there's another thread like this a while back.Besides there are other show's the deserve a better spot than gintama I wouldn't say its bad but there are quite a few out there.Try not to take ratings seriously.

"STILL WAITING FOR THE DAY FMAB CLAIMS ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE AS TOP 1"

I say the Gintama thing is like Kiss fans. It's a love it or hate it thing. People who like Kiss tend to love Kiss, and people who dislike Kiss tend to hate Kiss. Gintama's fanbase is very dedicated and passionate about it. That's the point I was making.
May 24, 2016 7:52 PM

Jul 2012
Greg_Troyan said:
Are you guys surprised that Gintama is ranked at #1?
I'm not surprised since it's on it's fourth or fifth sequel and has a lot of episodes. Of course, it'd be ranked highly.
May 24, 2016 7:57 PM

Sep 2013
It doesn't deserve it since it has a small size sample compared to the other top series.
What if a couple thousand people go rate some irrelevant series a 10/10 an have it at #1, how would you feel?

Z-Dante said:

Anime is an abbreviation of Animation which it's plural form is Animations, which means Anime can have a plural form thanks to apostrophe which makes it Anime's.
May 24, 2016 8:01 PM

May 2016
ichii_1 said:
It doesn't deserve it since it has a small size sample compared to the other top series.
What if a couple thousand people go rate some irrelevant series a 10/10 an have it at #1, how would you feel?

Z-Dante said:

Anime is an abbreviation of Animation which it's plural form is Animations, which means Anime can have a plural form thanks to apostrophe which makes it Anime's.

An apostrophe implies ownership, as in something belonging to the anime. This cupcake belongs to the anime, so it is the anime's cupcake.

And I'd be cool if some obscure anime trolled it's way to the top. That's some classic web 1.0 antics. :D
May 24, 2016 8:03 PM

Mar 2014
It's mostly because it's all split up. If a series like Naruto or One Piece ended its seasons every 100 episodes, I feel like they'd both be contenders for #1 in their latter seasons.
May 24, 2016 8:05 PM

May 2016
AnimeAdamOP said:
It's mostly because it's all split up. If a series like Naruto or One Piece ended its seasons every 100 episodes, I feel like they'd both be contenders for #1 in their latter seasons.

I honestly always get confused when those two shows are brought up in the same breath. Naruto is the greatest fictional story ever told. One Piece is a kinda lame show about pirates. I get that they both have fighting and are both Shonen Jump products, but comparing them is like comparing Citizen Kane to Scary Movie 4.
May 24, 2016 8:05 PM

Jan 2014
Gintama is the quintessential example of the sequel effect.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 24, 2016 8:11 PM

Aug 2015
Greg_Troyan said:
AnimeAdamOP said:

I honestly always get confused when those two shows are brought up in the same breath. Naruto is the greatest fictional story ever told. One Piece is a kinda lame show about pirates. I get that they both have fighting and are both Shonen Jump products, but comparing them is like comparing Citizen Kane to Scary Movie 4.
Baiting so early today? >.>
You kidding, right? They're both the same quality battle shounens that just keeps dragging on forever
. Also, they got the same stuff at the core. If you think one of them are shit, then probably the other one is too

Well, "It's all subjective"
Z-DanteMay 24, 2016 8:16 PM
May 24, 2016 8:16 PM

May 2016
Z-Dante said:
Greg_Troyan said:

Baiting so early today? >.>
You kidding, right? They're both the same quality battle shounens.

Well, "It's all subjective"

Nope. Naruto is a case-study in loneliness with a wonderful cast of characters and world mythos that is incredibly fleshed out and brilliant. Yes, it has many shonen tropes, but the level of storytelling is leagues about anything else in the genre. I love DBZ and G Gundam, but those shows are ridiculous and silly wheras Naruto is an honest-to-goodness well written story. Yes, it has action, but the character arcs and development are leap years ahead of most stories.

Naruto is like Rocky wheras DBZ is like Rocky IV. Rocky has the character depth, and while Rocky IV may be more fun, there's a clear difference in the quality of the writing. Naruto and One Piece both have fighting, but the character arcs in Naruto are far more fascinating and compelling.
May 24, 2016 8:17 PM
Jan 2013
Oh shet
I had forgot Gintama had passed FMA B

Y'know
The moment Monster passed 20CB, top lists became irrelevant
gone bai bai
May 24, 2016 8:17 PM

Mar 2014
Greg_Troyan said:
AnimeAdamOP said:

For my example, I was only considering their length factor. Gintama has so many sequels that it only people that are really into it will keep on watching and scoring the new seasons. To do this, they also will be fans of gintama so will flood the sequels with 8+. One Piece and Naruto Shippuden (using this one since it's longer) are both really long.

However, there's the 1/5th rule so you need to watch 1/5th of an anime for your score to count towards the average, so this does help longer series like Naruto and One Piece.

I also want to point out that One Piece has a score of 8.60 and Naruto Shippuden has 7.93 on this site while Naruto Shippuden is also technically under the sequel effecgt (not as much as gintama though), so I'd say the average of user of this site disagrees with your opinion on One Piece.
May 24, 2016 8:21 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Locked

Like all rating threads, this one will be locked. I locked about 10+ threads on this subject, especially Gintama #1 related, back when Gintama finished last season. There's also plenty of duplicates on the the Gintama sub. Please use the search function before making threads.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

59 by Bruh69XD »»
1 minute ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 51 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

83 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.