Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 23, 2016 8:57 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
So i was looking at ANN and i saw something that picked my curiosity.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-05-23/justin-leach-dai-sato-name-promising-anime-directors-to-watch/.102421

There was a talk at New York's Japan Society (didnt know it was a thing) with Justin Leach & Dai Sato, 2 members of Japan Society's Innovators Network (also didnt know it was a thing), about ''The State of Japanese Animation in a Post-Miyazaki World'' (damn) and who could be the next Miyazaki. So they picked a bunch of directors (4 well known and 4 up and coming directors) in the anime industry and talked about why they think they could be ... the one.

What do you think about their choices ?
Who do you think they forgot or shouldn't be here ?

For the people who just doesn't want to watch the video, they picked:

IMO: It's alright but some of their choice feels pretty weird. (Like Daizen Komatsuda and Dice & Robert but i dont really know these two.)

Please have a real discussion (I KNOW ITS A LOT TO ASK FOR MAL) and plz moderators dont block the thread. ;-;
DatRandomDudeMay 23, 2016 9:01 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 23, 2016 9:02 PM
Aug 2015
I think Masaki Yuuasa is the next Miyazaki, both of them reeks shit after all.
May 23, 2016 9:03 PM

Jan 2009
Daizen Komatsuda brings improvements to the facial expressions of 2.5D animation (or cel-shaded animation) if you watch Bubuki Buranki, so he is fine since the future is headed towards 2.5D animation/graphics anyway

but definitely the movies of this guy http://myanimelist.net/people/5067/Mamoru_Hosoda seems modern Ghibli
degMay 23, 2016 9:07 PM
May 23, 2016 9:07 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
skitzo said:
Daizen Komatsuda brings improvements to the facial expressions of 2.5D animation (or cel-shaded animation) if you watch Bubuki Buranki, so he is fine since the future is headed towards 2.5D animation/graphics anyway

Yeah, even if Bubuki wasnt that great storywise (but its ok because the second season is coming), dat cel-shaded/2.5D animation was pretty damn good.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 23, 2016 10:33 PM

Dec 2015
As far as I've seen I would say Mamoru Hosoda. Then again I've only seen Wolf Children from him. The thing is Miyazaki is somewhat like the Spielberg of anime so it would be hard for anyone to do so, but based on Wolf Children alone Hosoda seems to get a similar vibe as him.

If one person isn't going to be the next Miyazaki it's Hideaki Anno. He's too cynical for that and I doubt Miyazaki would ever milk one of his works like Anno does Evangelion.
May 23, 2016 11:45 PM

May 2016
Makoto Shinkai has already proven he can do a Ghibli film when he made Children Who Chase Lost Voices, so my vote goes to him. :V

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 23, 2016 11:49 PM

Jul 2014
Although these are good directors, but there will never be another director who delivers like Miyazaki.

May 24, 2016 12:01 AM

Mar 2015
"Miyazaki was a mistake."
-Miyazaki
May 24, 2016 12:21 AM

Feb 2013
Whoa, Daizen Komatsuda was the director of Bubuki Buranki. I totally expect big things from him in the future then.
May 24, 2016 12:52 AM

Nov 2008
Ugh... Don't even compare Makoto Shinkai's shallow, fake films to Miyazaki.

May 24, 2016 1:28 AM

Jul 2015
could be Yuasa, Anno, Hosoda.. but I'd rather not want to have 'the next miyazaki' title on them.

BBK was pretty much in-between for me, but as far as 2.5D goes, that was really good for an anime. I'd like to see more upcoming works from him!

May 24, 2016 1:39 AM

Apr 2012
Shame Hara Keiichi isn't there (the guy who did Miss Hokusai) but I guess in the end he didn't do enough personal projects...

But yeah the whole "next Miyazaki" is a relative thing since the real Miyazaki had creative and economic circumstances that won't ever happen again.
May 24, 2016 1:55 AM

Nov 2014
Ezekiel said:
Yeah, you do know that there are Miyazaki movies were not done by Miyazaki.

May 24, 2016 1:59 AM

Jan 2015
No one says who the next Satoshi Kon will be. Because no one can replace him.

May 24, 2016 2:25 AM

Nov 2008
ExTamplier said:
Ezekiel said:
Your grammar needs work. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

May 24, 2016 2:28 AM

Nov 2014
Ezekiel said:
ExTamplier said:
Not all movies that are advertised as "Made by Miyazaki" are made by Miyazaki. fershtein?
There are people who "left" Ghibli, because they were opposed of their rights as creators/story board etc.
ExTemplarMay 24, 2016 2:32 AM

May 24, 2016 2:30 AM

Jun 2014
I really hate the guy so hope nobody is the next him.
May 24, 2016 2:30 AM

Oct 2015
Rie Matsumoto is the next Miyazaki. In fact, her directing style feels a bit "ghibli".
May 24, 2016 2:41 AM

Oct 2010
ExTamplier said:
Ezekiel said:
Not all movies that are advertised as "Made by Miyazaki" are made by Miyazaki. fershtein?
There are people who "left" Ghibli, because they were opposed of their rights as creators/story board etc.

Interesting. Care to name at least one?
May 24, 2016 2:46 AM

Jul 2015
I kinda like Miyazaki, but the hype should die already. I swear I'm gonna cry if I read another review of a Hosoda movie calling him "the next Miyazaki"
May 24, 2016 2:46 AM

Feb 2014
I don't want another Miyazaki, one was more than enough. Besides, we already have Mamoru Hosoda.
May 24, 2016 2:47 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
ExTamplier said:

hiromasa is " in search of inspiration " right now

May 24, 2016 2:56 AM

Oct 2010
ExTamplier said:
jal90 said:

I didn't know that "in search of inspiration" is read as "opposed of his rights as a creator/story board etc.".
May 24, 2016 2:59 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
ExTamplier said:

I didn't know that "in search of inspiration" is read as "opposed of his rights as a creator/story board etc.".
I did not know that "care to name one" quoting the whole post is specifically for "opposed" and not "left". Thank god Hiromasa has a big enough name for Miyazaki to suck it.

May 24, 2016 3:05 AM

Nov 2014
You have to be a blind fan boy to not see the crisis that goes at Ghibli right now, I hope they get bankrupt.

May 24, 2016 3:07 AM

Nov 2008
ExTamplier said:
Ezekiel said:
Name them.

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
The Wind Rises

I wouldn't be surprised if other people had storyboard and co-writing credits. That's normal for movies. But which movies did he not write and direct?

May 24, 2016 3:07 AM

Oct 2010
ExTamplier said:
jal90 said:

I did not know that "care to name one" quoting the whole post is specifically for "opposed" and not "left". Thank god Hiromasa has a big enough name for Miyazaki to suck it.

"Left because they were opposed"

You can stop dodging now and be consistent with the stuff you write in here.
May 24, 2016 3:38 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
ExTamplier said:
I am sorry that your doctor prohibits subliminal messages.
Ezekiel said:
ExTamplier said:
The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
The Wind Rises
This list has no problem, how ever those are the titles that he worked on. Any other title that I saw advertisements for were proposing them as new Miyazaki movies, as if any Ghibli movie is interchangeable with Miyazaki. Even before I got to America, I saw multiple talk on how all of this is farse.
Name them.
I don't have a list for every nobody that comes to work for Miyazaki, all I know is what I read and what I hear.
I wouldn't be surprised if other people had storyboard and co-writing credits.
Except that in the end, it all looks like it was done by a single man. Miyazaki this, Miyazaki that.

May 24, 2016 3:47 AM

Oct 2010
ExTamplier said:
jal90 said:

Still dodging, I see.

I don't know what's more pathetic really, that you can't back up your claims or that you keep trying to deviate them.

Don't worry, I can wait at least as long as you take to keep your game.
May 24, 2016 3:53 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
ExTamplier said:

Still dodging, I see.

I don't know what's more pathetic really, that you can't back up your claims or that you keep trying to deviate them.

Do you not get enough information out of my posts above and reply to ezekiel, or did they not teach you in spain on elaborating? What part of my posts did you not understand? Because you are not helping me to try, understand and help you.

May 24, 2016 4:12 AM

Oct 2010
ExTamplier said:
jal90 said:

Still dodging, I see.

Do you not get enough information out of my posts above and reply to ezekiel, or did they not teach you in spain on elaborating? What part of my posts did you not understand?

I understand your posts above and reply to Ezekiel enough to know that they are full of the same ambiguities and lack of data to back up your claims, they basically insist but refuse to give evidence or name specifics. Basically the only thing you say is that a lot of the Ghibli movies are advertised as Miyazaki's, true that, however you haven't proved or even linked it yet to the reasons why people left Ghibli. Again, stop trying to dodge and answer the simple and straightforward question (don't worry, I don't come up with excuses about "subliminal messages") I asked you in post #19.

And enough with your ridiculous passive-aggressiveness. I haven't had a single problem to understand what people say and argue in >5 years of interaction with MAL and I'm not going to have it now just because you want to build artificial layers of cryptic bullshit in your posts.
May 24, 2016 4:23 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
ExTamplier said:
Do you not get enough information out of my posts above and reply to ezekiel, or did they not teach you in spain on elaborating? What part of my posts did you not understand?

I understand your posts above and reply to Ezekiel enough to know that they are full of the same ambiguities and lack of data to back up your claims, they basically insist but refuse to give evidence or name specifics. Basically the only thing you say is that a lot of the Ghibli movies are advertised as Miyazaki's, true that, however you haven't proved or even linked it yet to the reasons why people left Ghibli. Again, stop trying to dodge and answer the simple and straightforward question (don't worry, I don't come up with excuses about "subliminal messages") I asked you in post #19.

And enough with your ridiculous passive-aggressiveness. I haven't had a single problem to understand what people say and argue in >5 years of interaction with MAL and I'm not going to have it now just because you want to build artificial layers of cryptic bullshit in your posts.
See? We are getting somewhere.I don't know why you could not start with that to begin with, instead of talking about games. You asked me for names, I told you that Hiromasa had problems with Miyazaki. Some news say he left volunteerly, interviews say that he did not just leave Ghibli, but is on a break. (The same type of break Kojima was sent to by Konami, before they kicked him out). When I said that you don't understand subliminal messages I was talking about 22.
If you are not ready for a change after 5 w/e years on mal, please do not start it. I don't want to be responsible for your mental breakdown.

May 24, 2016 4:32 AM

Dec 2013
Not a single of of them is going to become Miyazaki because they don't have Ghibli.
May 24, 2016 4:33 AM

Oct 2010
ExTamplier said:
jal90 said:

See? We are getting somewhere.I don't know why you could not start with that to begin with, instead of talking about games. You asked me for names, I told you that Hiromasa had problems with Miyazaki. Some news say he left volunteerly, interviews say that he did not just leave Ghibli, but is on a break. (The same type of break Kojima was sent to by Konami, before they kicked him out). When I said that you don't understand subliminal messages I was talking about 22.

NICE. FINALLY.

I am asking this specifically because I do not find any source that confirms your version for any creator/storyboarder/whatever of Ghibli. I'm sure there must be and specially with a guy like Miyazaki who has a kind of difficult character (look no further than his incident with Goro) and keeps very tight work philosophies. My question was out of curiosity. Everything I find out there are sources that basically say that Hiromasa left Ghibli because he wanted to start his own projects. The other possible one was Hosoda, who left his Howl's moving castle project in Ghibli but according to what I've found it was not due to disagreements but rather to the stagnation of the project.

ExTamplier said:
If you are not ready for a change after 5 w/e years on mal, please do not start it. I don't want to be responsible for your mental breakdown.

Pfff if I haven't suffered a mental breakdown yet after all these years on MAL I doubt I'll suffer it now.
May 24, 2016 4:33 AM

Nov 2014
09122013 said:
Not a single of of them is going to become Miyazaki because they don't have Ghibli.
Ghibli is not a person, it's a studio.

May 24, 2016 4:40 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
ExTamplier said:

NICE. FINALLY.

I am asking this specifically because I do not find any source that confirms your version for any creator/storyboarder/whatever of Ghibli. I'm sure there must be and specially with a guy like Miyazaki who has a kind of difficult character (look no further than his incident with Goro) and keeps very tight work philosophies. My question was out of curiosity. Everything I find out there are sources that basically say that Hiromasa left Ghibli because he wanted to start his own projects. The other possible one was Hosoda, who left his Howl's moving castle project in Ghibli but according to what I found it was not due to disagreements but rather to the stagnation of the project.

ExTamplier said:

Pfff if I haven't suffered a mental breakdown yet after all these years on MAL I doubt I'll suffer it now.
There was an interview that I saw a translation to Russian that talked about the problems between them 2, it followed the same format as the scandal with Kojima (sorry, I don't know if you know who this is), I can't think of something else to compare it to. From my other reply you could find that the rest is based on other discussions I saw through the years.
I know how hard it can be to be under stress when getting a degree, especially doing internships and research. Remember that your health is at most importance, don't hesitate to message me if you want to talk about it.

May 24, 2016 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
So ya ppl rlly think there will be shows lik Sen to Chihiro in the future? Fvcking hell never will be
May 24, 2016 11:01 AM

Nov 2008
ExTamplier said:
This list has no problem, how ever those are the titles that he worked on. Any other title that I saw advertisements for were proposing them as new Miyazaki movies, as if any Ghibli movie is interchangeable with Miyazaki. Even before I got to America, I saw multiple talk on how all of this is farse.

I know which movies were made by Miyazaki. I don't know why you brought it up in the first place as if I were some casual. This information can be easily found.

I don't have a list for every nobody that comes to work for Miyazaki, all I know is what I read and what I hear.

I wasn't asking you to name people who have been wronged, I was asking which of the movies I listed were not made by him. But you say all of them are his, so okay.

Except that in the end, it all looks like it was done by a single man. Miyazaki this, Miyazaki that.

I don't know what you're talking about, because I don't follow advertising campaigns. Advertising is typically misleading, though.

May 24, 2016 11:24 AM

Sep 2013
Whoever did Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka.
May 24, 2016 11:29 AM

May 2015
Makoto or Daizen just maybe but still has a long way to go before surpassing Miyazaki.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2016 2:46 PM

Dec 2013
ExTamplier said:
09122013 said:

I think you can say 'Ghibli' without articles. It's a proper name like Europe and Hollywood.
09122013May 24, 2016 2:50 PM
May 24, 2016 3:05 PM

Nov 2014
09122013 said:
ExTamplier said:

I think you can say 'Ghibli' without articles. It's a proper name like Europe and Hollywood.
those are places though, i might be wrong

May 24, 2016 4:58 PM
Aug 2015
Although he directed two of my favorite anime of all time, and also wrote the script to another one of my favorites, I still believe he gets way too much credit than he deserves.

His themes are reused, his characters' personalities as well, and also the character designs usually look too similar and lack detail. His older films feel more like direct-to-DVD, rather than theatrical, although that might have been his goal - by making them feel smaller (My neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service), they also become more personal.

Still, when he's good (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke), he creates masterpieces.

Have yet to watch The Wind Rises, though.
May 24, 2016 8:00 PM

Apr 2015
Ghibli toppled over because they couldn't find one.
May 24, 2016 11:41 PM

Dec 2013
[quote=ExTamplier message=46171678]
those are places though, i might be wrong

Yep, 'proper noun', 'common name' or 'proper name' a name used for an individual person, place, or organization, spelled with an initial capital letter, e.g. In English, proper names in their primary application cannot normally be modified by an article or other determiner. (credits to Google and other stuff).

Man_Lanz said:
Ghibli toppled over because they couldn't find one.

They did quite a long ago. But Mr. Anno prefers to hide in his cave with 'Eva 4.? (You Will Never Ever) Finish the Franchise' and Godzilla toys. Well, he loves toku and it's his personal choice, can't blame the man.

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

123 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 33 minutes ago

12 by self-suff-des »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

34 by MasterTasuke »»
7 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

208 by PurplePants »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.