Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (25) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 23, 2016 3:16 PM

Oct 2015
I'd like to disable, because I get it...
So I just did, and suddenly a man in an ad I couldn't immediately find started hollering...
For me this is a larger issue than usual. Is there a way to allow ads but not sudden noise from them?
May 23, 2016 3:16 PM

Aug 2015
jc9622 said:
Haha you want me to disable my Adblock just to support your shitty ass site? No way in hell. I'll keep using my Adblock and you can't stop me!

wait until you see a girl who is stuck in a wall hole getting raped banner ad
May 23, 2016 3:17 PM

May 2015
Sincerely, I want to support the website and I HATE ads, so please give an option to contribute, I will follow <3
May 23, 2016 3:19 PM

Apr 2016
I have it disabled for mal but can we get rid of the hentai ads. They are annoying.

I would much rather have a donate button where I can donate money to MAL directly and not have to see ads.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
_Ghost_May 24, 2016 4:19 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2016 3:24 PM

Jun 2012
Adblock has a feature that doesnt block non intrusive ads. Since all of them are still blocked on my browser, im guessing they are probably annoying and intrusive as fuck.
May 23, 2016 3:27 PM

May 2013
One ad per page, and it should be at the bottom of the page and only then we might discuss about turning off adblock.

And the most important thing, they mustn't install COOKIES.
I turned off adblock and reloaded this page and... Surprise!
200 cookies installed in my browser.

Thank you for selling my privacy to unknown ads companies.
May 23, 2016 3:30 PM

Jul 2014
korogoro said:

You know what, forget that! what is this?!
NSFW shotacon whatever

I've seen literal 12-13 y/o kids use this website so you may want to do something about this.

May 23, 2016 3:30 PM

Aug 2015
Daw11 said:
One ad per page, and it should be at the bottom of the page and only then we might discuss about turning off adblock.

are they really selling us to japanese hentai sites lol
May 23, 2016 3:32 PM
Apr 2013
I refuse to support. Not because I hate ads, because the people I am supposedly supporting cared virtually nothing about me.

And the need to hire devs for both site maintenance and development is flimsy at best. One must realised there are MAL users who are willing to submit their codes for free in both past and present. The profile page with users submitting content fixes within hours since announcement. User scripts that make the site more bearable to use. The ever useful MALGraph with its own server cost. They are all free and done in most cases, by one user in the site. Yet, they are brushed off like dust on the floor.
May 23, 2016 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
I won't ever allow Ads on any Page on my Windows Computer for Security Reasons (see Malvertising), but I don't mind having them displayed on my Iphone, as it's much securer due to having sandboxed Apps and being a Niche System.

The only Thing that needs Improvement from my Point of View is to get rid of every Redirect Ad.
May 23, 2016 3:33 PM
May 2015
ultravigo said:
jc9622 said:
Haha you want me to disable my Adblock just to support your shitty ass site? No way in hell. I'll keep using my Adblock and you can't stop me!

wait until you see a girl who is stuck in a wall hole getting raped banner ad
Oh you mean those Hentai banner ads? I've seen them multiple times since I disabled adblock this morning and I'm actually re-considering turning on my adblock for this site again.

May 23, 2016 3:34 PM

May 2013
ultravigo said:
Daw11 said:

are they really selling us to japanese hentai sites lol

They know everything!
http://mybrowserinfo.com/detail.asp
May 23, 2016 3:38 PM

May 2008
Yeah, uh, ads + cookies is a very bad mix. No thanks.

worldeditor11 said:
I refuse to support. Not because I hate ads, because the people I am supposedly supporting cared virtually nothing about me.

And the need to hire devs for both site maintenance and development is flimsy at best. One must realised there are MAL users who are willing to submit their codes for free in both past and present. The profile page with users submitting content fixes within hours since announcement. User scripts that make the site more bearable to use. The ever useful MALGraph with its own server cost. They are all free and done in most cases, by one user in the site. Yet, they are brushed off like dust on the floor.

Completely agree. I've said multiple times I'll fix all the database errors (I have a list!) amongst other things but no. That's apparently not good enough or something.

It's not like there's any incentive for users to not block ads, either. We're not getting anything out of it.
May 23, 2016 3:42 PM

May 2012
You know what? Your blue thingy is still less irritating than those stupid ads, popping up everywhere. So I will still use adblock, and will try to get used to these new "clever" innovations of the MAL staff.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2016 3:46 PM

Jun 2011
worldeditor11 said:

+1

Plus most of the time the stuff they spend so much time developing is worthless or even unwanted by the majority of the users. If they want our support, then they have to make us feel like our input counts, not just when it's convenient for them.
NarmyMay 23, 2016 3:49 PM
May 23, 2016 3:49 PM

Oct 2014
The side banner ads that push the whole website in a little are annoying and so are the autoplay video ads that say shit I don't want to hear in an incredibly choppy and annoying way. The ads telling me where anime DVDs and figures when I go to their page are fine.
May 23, 2016 3:52 PM
Jan 2013
You need to work on the type of ads and how many you have on a single page before i'd consider it. I counted 8 ads on a single anime page, not only is that a bit much, but each and every one of them is an animated one. Which means not only would 8 animated ads be a big cost in bandwidth compared to static ads(many people have bandwidth caps, ya know) but older/lower end machines may not like 8 animated ads on a single page.
May 23, 2016 3:53 PM

Jul 2010
worldeditor11 said:

Very well written, completely agree by that statement. But alas MAL don't care about feedback, if they have a goal in mind they will go through it without any of our concern, their way or the highway.
Jun 2013
I won't disable it, ever, but If I had no choice, I would say NO to the following, horrible ads with sounds that can't be muted, flash-based ads with animations clogging up my RAM memory, I think ads should be lightweight, RAM friendly, static images, & most importantly, no innappropiate ads, they should be related to the otaku/geek community, something I may enjoy looking at.

Jun 2012
korogoro said:
korogoro said:

NSFW shotacon whatever

I've seen literal 12-13 y/o kids use this website so you may want to do something about this.

Good taste tho, Higuma draws the best shota doujins.
May 23, 2016 3:55 PM

Dec 2012
I would be fine disabling adblock if there were no side ads and the hentai ads were removed. I really cannot understand how mal staff expect me to disable ads if I run the risk of seeing pedo-ish skeevy doujin ads everywhere.
May 23, 2016 3:56 PM

Dec 2015
The reason I got an adblock was because of mal. I got sent to a malware site once, and lots of the other ads are intrusive. If MAL makes its ads more user-friendly, then maybe I'll white list it.

Smaller, less intrusive ads are the way to go. No NSFW, intrusive, or unintelligible things. Ads are supposed to make people want to buy something, if somethings's in Japanese or looks sketchy where I won't click on it, then no one is going to benefit from it (I think ads give revenue when someone clicks on them?)

YokuneSanMay 23, 2016 4:09 PM
May 23, 2016 3:58 PM

May 2013
Spamming the site with ads is just stupid, you should instead do what you did with Crunchyroll and Hulu and integrate an ads that links to a legal way to purchase the anime and manga we are curently browsing on this site.
Can't you make a deal with Amazon or some other big manga and anime seller?
If someone go to amazon from a link on MaL and buy a manga or anime from it then you get a bit of money.
Daw11May 23, 2016 4:47 PM
May 23, 2016 4:02 PM

May 2008
Daw11 said:
Spamming the site with ads is just stupid, you should instead do what you did with Crunchyroll and Hulu and integrate an ads that links to legal away to purchase the anime and manga we are curently browsing on this site.
If someone go to amazon from a link on MaL and buy a manga or anime from it then you get a bit of money.

While I think this is a good idea in theory, wouldn't it be hard to tailor it to a user's specific country? In some countries anime/manga aren't widely available either.

I know you could track someone's IP address, but I mean more finding a service that's available as worldwide as possible.
May 23, 2016 4:02 PM

Sep 2011
If you're coming in here to ask how to disable the "new boxes", don't. This thread isn't your support board. There's a support board already with people posting such stuff.
May 23, 2016 4:04 PM

Jan 2009
worldeditor11 said:

well i do not completely disagree but MAL is affected by business politics i bet so they do not take a lot of feedback from users and development help from users as well

if only MAL is still owned by Xinil himself then im sure user feedback and programming code feedbacks will still be considered more
May 23, 2016 4:19 PM
Dec 2015
I get annoying popup adds that open downloadable apps on my phone, so. I'll leave the site soon. God bless <3.
May 23, 2016 4:22 PM

Jul 2014
Nope, I as a consumer choose to enable ad-blocking. MAL isn't immune to the crappy ads that infest like other websites, especially on mobile devices where it redirects to the app store and goes one popup after the other. I have no websites on the whitelist, if websites block me from accessing content just because of my adblocker being on like Forbes, Fuck You I'm leaving. Call me selfish but that's my stance.
May 23, 2016 4:23 PM

Jul 2009
I don't mind ads as long as they aren't annoying.

My biggest problems are the ads on the mobile site that send the page through multiple redirects (forcibly leaving the MAL site) ending in some kind of android malware popup. This usually happens in the discussion forums and I am forced to close out the page and try going there again hoping for normal ads.
May 23, 2016 4:27 PM

Feb 2008
Looks like it is time for my to edit my adblock to block those Notice us senpai things. I've been a member since 2008 and I haven't seen why I should disable my adblocker since 2009. Thanks for adding something else for me to block.
May 23, 2016 4:29 PM

May 2013
Zazie122 said:
Daw11 said:
Spamming the site with ads is just stupid, you should instead do what you did with Crunchyroll and Hulu and integrate an ads that links to legal away to purchase the anime and manga we are curently browsing on this site.

While I think this is a good idea in theory, wouldn't it be hard to tailor it to a user's specific country? In some countries anime/manga aren't widely available either.

I know you could track someone's IP address, but I mean more finding a service that's available as worldwide as possible.

Amazon is pretty worldwide, they are alredy localizing with the IP chrunchyroll and Hulu's videos.

I'm sure that a big BUY IT! button inside the details page of the anime and manga will push more people to legally purchase them.
Daw11May 23, 2016 4:34 PM
May 23, 2016 4:30 PM

Dec 2015
I had it enabled because safari on my iPhone would crawl to a stop due to some big ads on individual show's pages. They seem to be gone now though

Added to whitelist
May 23, 2016 4:36 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
• What is your biggest complaint with MAL's advertisements?

The amount.
• Would you prefer well-placed, in-content advertisements? Or advertisements on the top, sides, and end of the page?

Doesn't matter for me if the ads are well-placed or in-content with the page. I'd rather only have ads at the end and top. Click the spoiler to see what I would prefer.

!!WARNING, BIG PICTURE!!

• If there were an option to subscribe monthly/yearly (by paying money) to both hide advertisements and support MAL, would you?

Depends on how much.
• Please let us know your country (or NA/EU/AS, if you don't want to say).

Sweden.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
May 23, 2016 4:38 PM

Dec 2011
I am agreeing to what the other people are saying, that we are getting those Japanese ads that is very NSFW, ads that play sound (Febreze is the last thing I remember), and eating up so much space. Having a lot of ads also slows down the loading time of the page, and they will always load before we see the content that we want.

MAL, just like what other sites is experiencing, should focus on improving the user experience instead of spamming almost every page here in MAL with ads. Ad blocking software are used by a lot of people, and people who generate business with ads should also adapt. I am not saying ads are bad, but if that is always what we see first before the content that we want, it can turn a lot of people away and just use ad block.

For placement, it should always be placed at the bottom, but if bottom is not enough, it should be placed in non-obstructive position, like the one in the panel page on right hand side. Til then, my adblock stays in place, the blue banners that became placeholders for ads is still way better to see than seeing ads.
May 23, 2016 4:40 PM

Dec 2015
Oh wow those video ads aren't actually gone lol. Just encountered one and it immediately started slowing everything down until the page froze.

Sorry but I'm either using Adblock or just leaving the site entirely and using anidb instead. Not sure which you'd prefer.
May 23, 2016 4:55 PM

Dec 2011
Banners ? What banners? *blacklists banner elements*
May 23, 2016 5:04 PM
Mar 2011
My complaint lies not with the desktop site but the ads on mobile. Having malicious ads that route to fake antivirus popups and "upgrades" for Android is not okay whatsoever.
May 23, 2016 5:07 PM

Dec 2008
Fiji said:
I am agreeing to what the other people are saying, that we are getting those Japanese ads that is very NSFW, ads that play sound (Febreze is the last thing I remember), and eating up so much space. Having a lot of ads also slows down the loading time of the page, and they will always load before we see the content that we want.

MAL, just like what other sites is experiencing, should focus on improving the user experience instead of spamming almost every page here in MAL with ads. Ad blocking software are used by a lot of people, and people who generate business with ads should also adapt. I am not saying ads are bad, but if that is always what we see first before the content that we want, it can turn a lot of people away and just use ad block.
That's strange. I've tested multiple pages and the ads are always the last thing to load for me.
May 23, 2016 5:08 PM

Dec 2012
I would have considered disabling it, but since you instead chose to clutter my screen with annoying banners, then it'll remain enabled for good. This is not how you force a change.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
May 23, 2016 5:15 PM

Jun 2009
I'm not going to risk getting viruses and malware just to support MAL's unnecessary website changes. Sorry. I've already had to sacrifice a laptop over shitty ads in the past.
May 23, 2016 5:17 PM

May 2016
I don't usually allow ads since it is a vector for attack (i've gotten fake "your Nexus 6p is infected with a Virus!" pop ups in the mobile page from this site more times then I can count).

Offer a premium account option for like 20 bucks and id be game instantly, especially if it covers your login for the mobile page (which is traditionally more trouble then its worth to block adds on).

The only way I view ads are when they are custom ads hosted by the specific site like how MMO Champion does it. They find a partner and make a background image themselves and host it on their site. Adblockers wont even block those as it is custom site specific content.

Its not that people don't want to support your site, and its not that they don't trust you. People just don't trust 3rd party add networks that are in total control of the content they can display on your page without your approval first.

Seriously, let people give you money for premium access/site support. Then anyone not supporting the site and still blocking adds you will have every right to be mad at.
BaronKrauseMay 23, 2016 5:52 PM
May 23, 2016 5:29 PM
Jul 2015
I'm sorry, but I'm not going back to using the internet with ads, even if its one site.
May 23, 2016 5:33 PM

Apr 2012
Yeah, pissing off people with your "Pl-please disable ads" banners is surely going to make them stop using adblockers...

I won't take adblock off since these banners are still better than the ads, kek.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
May 23, 2016 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
I'd only like anime ads or targeted ads, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Targeted ads would be the same thing that google does, where they ask the user what genre of ads they want.
MAL should definitely try that system out, because I would definitely use it.

MAL could also try a donation campaign, which is what Wikipedia does a lot.
They disable ads altogether, and simply ask the community to donate to keep the site up and running.

If I remember correctly, MAL's age demographic is mostly made up of young men and women from the ages of 18-25, which means those are people who could possibly have money to donate.
removed-userMay 23, 2016 5:53 PM
May 23, 2016 5:53 PM

Nov 2011
This isn't about MAL in particular, but ADs that load from third-party domains have a greater chance of being unsafe and are used for tracking purposes. I use adblockers not only because of annoying ads, but for a safer and more privacy aware browsing.
Now, as for MAL in particular, this website does have a bad history of being repeatedly hacked and exposing users to risk, so all the more reason to.

• Would you prefer well-placed, in-content advertisements? Or advertisements on the top, sides, and end of the page?
Top, sides and end for reasonably sized screens.
• If there were an option to subscribe monthly/yearly (by paying money) to both hide advertisements and support MAL, would you?
Depending on price.
• Any other comments/concerns/suggestions?
Suggestion: instead of placing these big blue boxes with a warning all around (which can and will be just as easily blocked), message members who are detected to be using adblockers with a well made description of why it is important for users to unblock ads, why MAL needs it (with numbers, i.e. how much are you spending and how much you need to make to keep this site afloat and staff paid). Seeing MAL has monetized on other areas lately (i.e. streams), users may not feel like you really need ads to run this in the first place.

Remember, trying to shove ads (or annoying, intrusive warning boxes) onto users is a lost battle, so try persuading them instead.

Lastly: host ads yourself. Any safety aware user who blocks 3rd party js by default will not see ads as it is here.
SA
May 23, 2016 5:54 PM
May 2014
Kineta said:

As of yet, no complaints. As long as they don't interfere with my browsing or usage of the site... those found on the sidebars and along the top and bottom of the page seem to be the least obtrusive.

• Which aspect of MAL's ad experience do you think doesn't need improvement (i.e. is good as it is)?
The features that I use are all satisfactory, primarily: reviews, tracking series, searching (which does seem to have improved in accuracy after the recent update)

• Are there any pages on MAL where you don't mind the ads? Are there any pages where you really mind them?
I do mind them in the middle of review and information pages on individual entries. Having to scroll farther down a page, or have the information I'm seeking obstructed by ads is too invasive. Placement around the borders of the page is tolerable so far. Also, someone mentioned ads on the streaming pages, and that sounds pretty reasonable.

If I understand "in-content advertisements" correctly, my preference would be those around the sides, ends of pages and if need be the tops as well. Being redirected while browsing would really detract from the MAL experience.

• Which kind of advertisements do you like to see? And conversely, don't?
I'd rather see no advertisements, but since it's for the greater good I suppose those that are somehow relevant to anime or manga, Japanese culture would be ideal. If cons advertise, those would be fine. I'm not looking for hot singles in my area, need a new type of dish soap or the newest model of pickup truck.

I would absolutely be interested to explore this solution. I don't think I could justify the same amount as one of the individual streaming services, but there is probably a happy medium somewhere in there.

• Any other comments/concerns/suggestions?
It's been mentioned a few times, but I will turn adblock back on lickity split if ads have auto-playing code. I really hope that MAL can respect the body of its pages by not overloading them with excessive ads, and ideally no ads within the body of the pages (i.e. scroll through x amount of ads to continue browsing the content of each page).

USA

MAL has been an invaluable resource over the past two or so years that I've been using it. I do want to support the service. For the time being, I've disabled adblock here and will assess the changes, but the above are some of my initial thoughts.
May 23, 2016 6:25 PM

Sep 2013
I've been getting redirected a lot recently (like every other page I visit sometimes) when I browse with my phone. This happens mostly when I'm on club pages and their comments sections. I can't see why you guys are asking for this when your ads are being shoved down my throat.
I would seriously like to see something done about this.
May 23, 2016 6:34 PM

Jan 2011
Obnoxious banners don't make me want to turn off adblock, especially when they're better than the ads anyway.
May 23, 2016 6:36 PM

Mar 2015
Just asking, how exactly does MAL make money off ads? Do companies pay via number of clicks or do companies just pay a set fee [The amount of clicks is irrelevant, they're paying for being exposed on a popular website].

If the first, I don't know how many people would actually click on these ads for MAL to make enough money. I would doubt it's enough. If the latter, then it should be OK to use adblock.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 23, 2016 6:36 PM
Jul 2015
korogoro said:
korogoro said:

NSFW shotacon whatever

Now I kind of feel like disabling adblock...
Pages (25) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
8 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.