Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 23, 2016 4:46 AM

Feb 2015
hello,
came on today to find the whole website flooded with advertisements.
MyAnimeList p'fft, more like MyAdsList.
if you need money to run servers and pay some people to work full time just ask for some donations first, if that does not work then do ads.

or please at least let me pay you to remove ads and support the website when I'm logged in like a supporter thing.

-thanks

Edit: I can't even read japanese yet.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
TenshoMay 23, 2016 6:45 AM
May 23, 2016 5:04 AM

Dec 2010
Wow, you overtook me by 10 minutes, I was just about to make this thread.

In short I find the ads on this site obnoxious and ruining the experience I've build with MAL for years. They also take years to load which is frustrating for a whole another reason(there were even times when I was borderline unable to use MAL because of that).

I understand very well that this site needs support to keep running. But allowing supporters to these obnoxious ads off would be a great quality of life improvement.
MeritasMay 23, 2016 5:08 AM
May 23, 2016 5:26 AM

Oct 2014
Same here, I can whitelist myanimelist to let them earn a bit. But the whole page is already filled with the blue rectangular boxes. If you're low on money why not implement some other ways or keep donations open? I am pretty sure many people would generously help you out.

In fact, keep some mini reward for people who donate. Like reddit gold system make their userid appear in some flashy way?

It won't take me time to change sites quickly but I've been using MAL for over than 2 years now I think so I am attached to site.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
May 23, 2016 5:26 AM

Oct 2014
you can block them if you want
myanimelist.net###content > .content-container > .container-right > ._unit:nth-of-type(6) > table
myanimelist.net###content > .content-container > .container-right > ._unit:nth-of-type(3) > table
May 23, 2016 5:28 AM

Mar 2015
i only get few ads thou.. only 2 in left and right, and 2 on below page... all of them only image and gif... you can report them if it is annoying...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 23, 2016 5:29 AM

Dec 2015
So where exactly are those ads located? I did not even see a single one yet. Online with Firefox, newest version at Windows 7 computer.

But I have a super old screen running at 1024x768 resolution. Thought it might have been outside the viewable part and tried to scroll to look. The only thing looking like an ad for me is at the top the crunchyroll/hulu/daisuki thing.

Or maybe it is because I have set my browser settings very restrictive? (Not using an ad blocker though. But some other websitets complained sometimes and thought I'd use an adblocker.) I have cookies, chronicle, ant some other stuff (I think even sending refer need to check this) disabled. Some of it manually in the about:config.

--

As for donations: I think this should be tried first. There should probably be enough of a userbase with older and working people that would be willing to donate. But then the total server cost should be made public and it should really be voluntarily without getting other benefits (no premium stuff not even cosmetic stuff for the profile - all users should still be treated the same).
May 23, 2016 5:30 AM

Jun 2011
Cnon said:
myanimelist.net###content > .content-container > .container-right > ._unit:nth-of-type(6) > table
myanimelist.net###content > .content-container > .container-right > ._unit:nth-of-type(3) > table

Thanks, I was trying to figure out how to do that. That still leaves the two on the bottom though.
May 23, 2016 5:34 AM

Oct 2014
Narmy said:
Cnon said:

Thanks, I was trying to figure out how to do that. That still leaves the two on the bottom though.

oops I missed that
myanimelist.net###content > .content-container > .container-left > .pt24.clearfix

Dec 2010
Kuma said:
i only get few ads thou.. only 2 in left and right, and 2 on below page... all of them only image and gif... you can report them if it is annoying...
All of them are annoying.

Iizbakaokay said:
In fact, keep some mini reward for people who donate. Like reddit gold system make their userid appear in some flashy way?
Nothing apparent though. I've always liked how MAL does not segment its users in any way.

Oct 2014
gee thanks, I just picked out all those containers and blocked them from Ublock Origin.

Thanks MAL.

Edit (since ad filter discussion are closed)
I have used these and they work like a charm:

Meritas said:

Iizbakaokay said:
Nothing apparent though. I've always liked how MAL does not segment its users in any way.

I prefer the all users are equal treatment as well. But if the site is really low on funds why not adopt some measures? I really like reddit's gold policy system. It just separates the user for a month and it goes back to normal after that time period. Plus the gold system is great for finding out relevant and hardworking posts/threads in general.
IizyMay 23, 2016 8:29 AM
May 23, 2016 5:39 AM

Feb 2015
Kuma said:

"only a few ads thou"
*counts 4 ads

there are 8 on this page (the left moving one counts as one)
May 23, 2016 5:49 AM

Apr 2012
Donations aren't tax deductible for private companies, plus they're whimsical, pretty sure it's more profitable/safe to use ads.
May 23, 2016 5:53 AM
Mar 2014
While I believe that accepting donations would be a better choice, it's often regarded as a "weak" and/or "unprofessional" move in the context of big business due to taxes.

EDIT: @EratiK beat me to it.
vegetablespiritMay 23, 2016 5:57 AM
May 23, 2016 5:58 AM

Jun 2014
Cnon said:
Narmy said:

oops I missed that
myanimelist.net###content > .content-container > .container-left > .pt24.clearfix

I just pasted those 3 lines in my AdBlock custom filters, and it didn't change anything. I can still see those blue boxes.

May 23, 2016 6:07 AM

Feb 2015
alright guys enough with the adblock filter discussion, go somewhere else please.
we are trying to discuss the reason and things MAL can do about this new ad feature

Max said:
While I believe that accepting donations would be a better choice, it's often regarded as a "weak" and/or "unprofessional" move in the context of big business due to taxes.

EDIT: @EratiK beat me to it.

In big businesses yes.
I could not imagine enough people being payed full time and server costs to make MAL a "big business" (just my speculation. I could be wrong).
Accepting donations for special features (ad removal, special color names, icons) should be alright, at least that's what I think.

nice name btw

Mod Edit: Merged consecutive posts; please use the edit button.
TenshoMay 23, 2016 6:46 AM
May 23, 2016 6:29 AM

Apr 2011
I guess Domo-kun is going to keep eatings kittens because that's not how you encourage people to remove adblocks. That's actually the opposite, you are pissing off people by putting all these stupid blue box everywhere.

Never mind, I didn't know I can manually block the blue boxes themselves. That's done.
ValaskjalfMay 23, 2016 7:29 AM
May 23, 2016 6:32 AM

Mar 2015
Hakisak said:
Kuma said:

"only a few ads thou"
*counts 4 ads

maybe it's just me that high resistance to ads.. used to has tons before adblock exist..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 23, 2016 6:53 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Please keep the discussion on topic around the donations to remove ads rather than talk about adblock filters. Don't post here if you need help setting up element blocking for the placeholder thingos. I've left the current posts for the sake of helping others but any further discussion on that here will be removed.
May 23, 2016 7:25 AM

Jun 2008
I love this site. I would donate a few bucks if that could stop the ads.
May 23, 2016 7:59 AM

Jul 2010
Kuma said:
Hakisak said:

"only a few ads thou"
*counts 4 ads

maybe it's just me that high resistance to ads.. used to has tons before adblock exist..

Holy shit that's a lot of ads, never knew how much there were, kinda shocking.
May 23, 2016 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
I'm also in for donating.
May 23, 2016 8:02 AM

Mar 2015
Tenth said:
Kuma said:

i also not knowing if it is that much.. maybe my brain just autoworking to ignore it...
May 23, 2016 10:06 AM

Dec 2010
Iizbakaokay said:
Plus the gold system is great for finding out relevant and hardworking posts/threads in general.
I'm not against additional features. Just nothing that says "special" to others, even if it's a tiny badge.
May 23, 2016 10:13 AM

Nov 2014
AdBlock

May 23, 2016 10:15 AM

Oct 2014
Meritas said:
Iizbakaokay said:
Plus the gold system is great for finding out relevant and hardworking posts/threads in general.
I'm not against additional features. Just nothing that says "special" to others, even if it's a tiny badge.

Are you familiar with reddit and it's gold system? Some threads that marked with "gold" (which is bought by paying to the site) are done by other users than the OP to mark it's importance and usefulness. This makes and gives credit to the OP plus a boost to think his work doesn't go unnoticed. I am not denying there are flaws in the system but comparing the positive with negative the former outweighs the latter. Plus only the thread remains marked with gold and it doesn't get reflected anywhere else and lasts for a month only.
May 23, 2016 10:20 AM

Apr 2014
Tenth said:
Kuma said:

Well, the only thing to blame is
http://myanimelist.net/advertising#ad (Or ads subs like adchoices,adsense, etc?)
Who's in charge with this? It it DeNa?
RayzerMay 23, 2016 10:23 AM
Haters always gonna hate.
May 23, 2016 10:20 AM

Jan 2012
Is this new or something ? don't recall if it was like this b4

lol though my ublock origin was broken

Tenth said:

wait are u getting no ads how?

some shitty ads i am getting , lol vadå pension.
since this anime site why not have animu ads

IssaGold said:
I'm also in for donating.

same here , more interested about how this donation system gonna work

May 23, 2016 10:27 AM

Aug 2015
Hakisak said:
Kuma said:

"only a few ads thou"
*counts 4 ads

mother of ads jezzzus what a amature way of handling ads for big and known sites like MAL
May 23, 2016 10:28 AM

Oct 2014
dizzyur said:
Iizbakaokay said:
gee thanks, I just picked out all those containers and blocked them from Ublock Origin.

Thanks MAL.

Edit (since ad filter discussion are closed)
I have used these and they work like a charm:

I'm not using ublock, do those filters work for adblock?

First of all, these are not my settings and a friend gave it to me so pls don't credit me. I am just a normal member who knows next to nothing about codes and such things.
Secondly, as the forum mod Tyrel said we are supposed to not discuss filters here. The creator of the filters tried/ made it on AdBlock so I am assuming it works on it as well. Please test it out.

Thank you
May 23, 2016 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
Iizbakaokay said:
dizzyur said:

First of all, these are not my settings and a friend gave it to me so pls don't credit me. I am just a normal member who knows next to nothing about codes and such things.
Secondly, as the forum mod Tyrel said we are supposed to not discuss filters here. The creator of the filters tried/ made it on AdBlock so I am assuming it works on it as well. Please test it out.

Thank you

oh np i edited my post, already tested it out, and it works
May 23, 2016 8:47 PM
Sep 2014
I don't mind paying a monthly subscription fee to get rid of those ads. After all MAL is a fine service to manage my anime watching progress and saves me some time from book keeping on my own.
May 23, 2016 8:55 PM

Jan 2009
i support this suggestion since its another choice/option for users to give back to the site

i do not have money to pay for a premium experience of no ads but i can see other people willing to pay for this because they have the money

but MAL needs to tighten its security first by using HTTPS already! whats the hold up to that? its been months since we last saw updates to its implementation
May 23, 2016 9:49 PM

May 2008
I'd only consider donating if I got something out of it. I'm not giving my money for nothing in return since I don't have much of it. No ads isn't a benefit since I can make that happen on my own anyway.

I don't know what kind of donation rewards would be good, although as others have said nothing too showy. Perhaps having a few more database editing privileges or something that the user could help out with would be okay? Or maybe if they submit a database entry/edit they get higher priority in the queue than regular members.
May 23, 2016 10:36 PM

Oct 2014
Maybe there could be a "premium" feature for accounts that would disable ads for them plus some other benefits (obviously no elitism despite how much fun as "I'm premium so I can have 20 favorites" would be). The money could also help reduce ads for other users which would mean more perks would need to be added to premium in order to keep it away from just being a donor.
May 24, 2016 1:02 AM

Apr 2014
@zombie_pegasus
Yeah, maybe?
How about no?
May 24, 2016 1:10 AM

Oct 2014
Rayzer said:
@zombie_pegasus
Yeah, maybe?
How about no?
Never saw that. That's important information. If ads are the only available source of revenue for the site then our ideas much be based around that.
May 24, 2016 1:37 AM

Jul 2011
I pay! Please leave me alone from those horrible adverts.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
May 24, 2016 1:58 AM

Apr 2014
@zombie_pegasus,
It's because you don't ever read that sticky thread.
Most likely why you made a suggestion thread(s) that has been rejected.
May 24, 2016 2:07 AM

Oct 2014
Rayzer said:
@zombie_pegasus,
It's because you don't ever read that sticky thread.
Most likely why you made a suggestion thread(s) that has been rejected.
Of the eight suggestion threads I've made none of the suggestions I made were addressed in the sticky and one of them I still think is a legitimate suggestion that should be implemented (DVD release dates for movies). I do read the stickies, but I tend to just skim over them and generally forget the information that isn't used much (we pretty much all know that the "more ratings" suggestion has been rejected weekly, but some are less common).
May 24, 2016 2:11 AM

Nov 2011
Coming soon, MAL Premium. 9. 99$ a month.

May 24, 2016 2:13 AM

Apr 2014
@zombie_pegasus,
Well, try to re-read those sticky threads.
Because it get updates sometimes.
May 24, 2016 2:36 AM

Dec 2010
I guess I can blame less blacklisting MAL's ads now. Not the first time something good is owned by a blockheaded third party.

More topics from this board

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
6 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Yesterday

1 by Alexioos95 »»
10 hours ago

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM

» Custom labels.

Autonomia - Apr 8

4 by Autonomia »»
Apr 14, 8:25 AM

» Total number of episodes (all seasons)

TechniqueGod - Apr 9

3 by hacker09 »»
Apr 13, 3:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.